James Vanderbilt Talks Spider-Man 4; Venom Spinoff in the Works?

After the WGA deal, it's full steam ahead for Marvel.

The future of Sony's Spider-Man film franchise is cloudy -- for reasons including, but certainly not limited to, the writers' strike -- but at least one member of Spider-Man 4's creative partnership is firmly on board.

According to Comics2Film (reporting from a podcast posted by BlogTalkRadio), screenwriter James Vanderbilt is champing at the bit to get started on the series' fourth installment. In between talking about his work on Zodiac and other projects, Vanderbilt had this to say about the next Spider-Man sequel:

"I went in on that. I really loved the films. It's sort of an odd process, because you're sitting down with the people who made the first three and going, 'Well, let me tell you what to do.' But I was lucky enough that they were interested in me, and I'm a huge fan of those movies, so we closed that up right before the strike. Once the strike's over, I get to go to work."

Though Spider-Man is owned by Marvel, the character's film rights are carried by Sony, so Marvel's interim agreement with the Writers Guild presumably has no impact on development for Spider-Man 4. It seems, however, that Sony's ownership doesn't extend to Spidey's nemesis, Venom.

IESB reports that "'the studio' has met recently with several 'A-list writers' about a spinoff film" for the goopy black alien symbiote whose introduction to Peter Parker -- and later Eddie Brock -- was portrayed in Spider-Man 3. As IESB notes, it seems safe to assume that Marvel owns Venom's film rights despite the character's appearance in the Spider-Man trilogy, otherwise meetings with writers wouldn't be taking place. There's no word on whether Eddie Brock would appear in the film, or if Topher Grace would reprise his portrayal of the character.

To get the full scoop on both of these stories, follow the links below!

Source: BlogTalkRadio (James Vanderbilt interview)
Source: IESB (Venom film story)

Comments

silkysmitty3

christopher smith

sweet. they are going to ruin another movie. long live the pigs who don't give a **** abou t anything.

Feb 4 - 06:06 AM

MarkMortimer

Paul Parker

I am not excited by this news. I would be even less excited if Topher (pinocchio) Grace portrayed Venom ever again.

Feb 4 - 06:24 AM

Xavier Telouran

Drew Demorotski

So, are we just talking about a spinoff because we realize how sorely mistreated the character was in Spidey 3? Even so, how does a Venom stand-alone work w/o his nemesis? I realize there have been some big Venom non-Spidey related stories lately, but how do you reintroduce the character and his motives without having to undo the poor web already spun?

Still, it's a big first step admitting that Raimi's treatment of Brock/Venom was extremely sub-par. Now you just have to make the other 11 steps...

Feb 4 - 06:58 AM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Awesome! Let's talk spin-offs!

I've always wanted to see Gleek, that 'comic relief' monkey from the Wonder Twins, get his own chance to shine! If ever there was a character needing his own stage...

Hey, I'm just getting warmed up...

Let's do another take on 'young Lex Luthor', *WITHOUT* Superman! Talk about his motivation, and his childhood battles. Who needs an actual defining character (like Superman) to make sidekicks and villains relevant?! GIVE EVERY character from EVERY superhero movie a shot!

Oh boy, I really hope they make this Venom spin-off into a franchise where they COMPLETELY IGNORE Spider Man! Not only would that make a lot of sense (seeing as how Venom is nothing more than an evil 'caricature' OF Spiderman) but then they would be even LESS encumbered by any story continuity or logic! They could churn these out like cheap Alien re-treads! Freakin' awesome!***

***If you look really closely, you just may spot the sarcasm hiding in this post.

--I'm a little hopped up on caffeine and the Giants win, last night, so I admit this was a little over-the-top.

Feb 4 - 07:01 AM

twinsfan2715

Tom Bidinger

not at all, i thought it was hilarious... and true.

i find it odd how they can even THINK about doing a venom spin-off without spider-man. i find it odd they're thinking about making a venom spin-off period. true he's a really cool villain and he didn't get his due in S-M3, but how? why? the symbiote was destroyed and eddie brock was killed at the end of S-M3. this is definitely one of the dumber ideas i've heard come out of hollywood

Feb 4 - 04:43 PM

AlbertBrodsky

AC Persons

Um... didn't that director I once really liked kill Venom at the end of the movie. It sure looked like it.

Feb 4 - 07:01 AM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

For heaven's sake, man, do you know nothing about comic books? Killing people doesn't mean sh*t. He'll be back, if they want him to be. And I'm all for it, so long as Raimi is far away from Venom. Raimi clearly didn't respect the character enough, and he completely wasted him.

I'm all for a Venom movie, or a return in a Spiderman 4... again, so long as Raimi isn't directing or writing. Venom deserves a proper movie, and Spiderman 4 couldn't possibly be much worse than 3.

Feb 4 - 08:28 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I wanna see one final spiderman with everyobe (Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire, and Kirsten dunst - no more singing Ms. Dunst!). I wannt to see them make it right for the 3rd one. It could be a great movie with Vanderbilt (ZODIAC was great) writing, the biggest problem was S3 was the crappy dialogue. It also had bad acting (not there fault), stupid music, stupid eye lash, stupid dances, and much much more! I wonder what villians they would use though- Carnage(no), Electro, Mysterio (that could work), that bird man or what ever his name is.

Feb 4 - 07:18 AM

kenekgo

David Blandino

The Vulture, but he would suck as a main villian in a movie.

Sam Raimi should apologize for the third movie and then remake it!

Feb 4 - 07:27 AM

Weicher

Alvaro San Martin

I really didn't care for any Spidey film, except maybe the second. So... I guess they would rather let this franchise sleep in peace and find other (and more original) projects...

Spidey comic-books are not that good anyway, and never have been, except that Spidey-Kraven story-line in the late 80s, written by J.M. DeMatteis and pencilled by Mike Zeck. It's the only Spider-Man's story I would really like to see in the big screen.

But I guess it's too gritty and dark and psychological for children to see, so...

Feb 4 - 07:30 AM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

you are clearly not a spider-man fan. spider-man has one of the largest and most devoted fan following of any character. like any character he has had some ****ty stories, but many fantastic ones as well. i loved the first 2 spider-man movies and i feel a fourth is absolutely necessary to redeem the third. after that, i will be happy if they let the franchise end on a positive note.

Feb 4 - 10:38 AM

Oblivioncry

Danish Shaikh

not sam raimi but sony should apologize...they forced him into making the film bad...

Feb 4 - 08:13 AM

sharpless

Matthew Sanderson

Feb 4 - 08:28 AM

AlbertBrodsky

AC Persons

When I watch Spiderman on DVD, I can tell evertime they use CGI instead of actual footage. I can't imagine how bad that movie would look in HD. I agree that the second one was the only really good one, but the first one has some good moments. Peter Parker's transformation was well done.
The black suit story was one of my favorites as a kid, it's too bad they ruined it. Maybe in 10 years they can try again with a whole new production, but for now it would be too soon.

Feb 4 - 08:33 AM

Jack le Critic

Jack Blanc

I think Raimi should leave on a (relative) high - move on to those Evil Dead remakes he's been promising...hmmmm...

Feb 4 - 09:25 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

i think all comic book movies should cease production until studios realize that people want to see the characters treated with respect. i would also argue that with the exception of sin city, not one comic book movie has captured the visual impact or creativity that two dimensional drawings on paper have.

Feb 4 - 09:33 AM

Oblivioncry

Danish Shaikh

Batman Begins....

and give raimi some respect..spidey 2 is really good.

Feb 4 - 10:16 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

i give you batman begins. can't wait for the next one. but spidey 2 sucked imo.

Feb 4 - 10:59 AM

Oblivioncry

Danish Shaikh

really? ^^ i thought so too when i watched it the first time, but after some months i watched it again, and it really was good, and aunt may wasnt really that annoying, i really loved the part where peter visits her while she is moving out or something with this boy helping her

Feb 4 - 11:15 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

i know i am in the minority, but i personally enjoyed spiderman 1 much more than 2. 2 just got too "hollywood" for me. peter's inner struggle to cope with his powers and feelings just wreaked of stinky melodrama. it ended with a bang, but that was about it. some would say that's what made the movie great, but i would say, "not in my comic book."

Feb 4 - 01:32 PM

Elixor

Daniel Klooster

ThinPhantom, I couldn't agree with you more. Sin City really is the only movie that truly captured the visuals of the source comic properly. Some say that the Crow also, but I never saw the comic (the movie was good).

A lot of the problem with making comic book movies is just that. You can't translate the visual feel properly to capture the effect of the comics. There's no live-action actor that can portray most 'superhero' comic book characters, and if you CGI all of them, it just looks too fake unless you're going to CGI the whole movie. The only medium that can work properly is traditional animation. The comics that are with more real-looking characters like Sin City, Hellblazer, Sandman, etc.. are the only ones that seem to have a chance of capturing the visual essence of their comics.

I like a few of the comic book movies like Spiderman 2, Batman Begins, Superman Returns, The Hulk, because they generally don't change and ruin the characters they're portraying, but they still don't look like or capture the visual feel of the comics. Most of the Marvel movies that have been coming out are just terrible at portraying their characters (Fantastic Four, X-Men, Daredevil, on and on). Spawn was also really bad, but I thought that they somehow managed to captured the Violator reasonably well.

Obviously this isn't a problem for most people as these movies continue to do really well.

Feb 4 - 11:40 AM

DrnkonShdws

Josh Holland

PLEASE GOD NO MORE TOPHER GRACE PLEASE!!!

Feb 4 - 10:10 AM

Oblivioncry

Danish Shaikh

Batman Begins....

and give raimi some respect..spidey 2 is really good.

Feb 4 - 10:16 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

i give you batman begins. can't wait for the next one. but spidey 2 sucked imo.

Feb 4 - 10:59 AM

Oblivioncry

Danish Shaikh

Feb 4 - 11:15 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

Feb 4 - 01:32 PM

mysteriousone

Joseph Guiliano

Feb 4 - 10:38 AM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Spiderman 1 was pretty good, the second spidey was GREAT, and ofcourse the third one well u guys all know. I would actually like to see them do CARNAGE ,but make it more serious. I would wanna see Sam Raimi come back with some seriousnes. I wouldn't really wanna see Dylan Baker become THE LIZARD. They need to do just one villian, either CARNAGE or MYSTERIO.

Feb 4 - 10:45 AM

CalvinandHobbes23

Matt Gibbs

they could make a venom movie and introduce carnage,

then maybe the two of them could battle it out in new york,
i'd go see that

Feb 4 - 10:53 AM

ThinPhantom

james cochino

i give you batman begins. can't wait for the next one. but spidey 2 sucked imo.

Feb 4 - 10:59 AM

james cochino

Feb 4 - 01:32 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies