Weekly Ketchup: Chronicle Star Cast as Spider-Man 2's Harry Osborn

Summary

This week's Ketchup has lots and lots of movie development news stories involving sequels (The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel 2, Clerks III, Pacific Rim 2, TRON 3, and Wreck-It Ralph 2). Is our long, slow slog through the wave of remakes finally behind us, so that Hollywood can get back to focusing its collective social regurgitation on that whole chestnut, the endless wave of sequels? Perhaps, or perhaps this was just a very "sequelly" week, and the near future will bring us back to the remakes and reimaginings and all that re-re-re-business. George Clooney, Matt Damon, and Johnny Depp also made some news this week. Back to Article

Comments

King  S.

King Simba

I think it's mainly because of DC's poor track record of kickstarting franchises other than Batman. It also feels like they're rushing things in order to cash in on the success of Avengers. Granted, I can see why they're desperate for a massive franchise, what with Harry Potter and The Dark Knight trilogy being over, but still it they're not careful Justice League could very well end up being just an Avengers wannabe (and as the article pointed out, it doesn't help that they've picked a villain very much like the one planned for Avengers 2).

Dec 8 - 10:00 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Although they got overshadowed by Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises, I though both Chronicle and Amazing Spiderman were great films. Chronicle in particular was a pleasant surprise that really came out of nowhere. Also, after seeing Dan Dehaan's performance in that film I think he'd be perfect for Harry Osborn.

Haven't seen Wreck-it-Ralph yet, but it's nice to see Disney Animation Studioes bouncing back after spending much of the previous decade playing second fiddle to Pixar. Even their Tinker Bell direct to DVD franchise has been surprisingly solid, especially compared to the quality of their previous direct to DVD films. I hope they continue their good work.

Similairly it's also nice to see Ben Affleck bouncing back after many people thought his career was over. Who would have thought he'd make such a great director?

I can't wait for Pacific Rim. Hopefully it's a sign of it being really good that Legendary Pictures is already getting ready for a sequel. However, I do tend to be very cautious about any news regarding Del Toro, as he seems to get involved in so many projects only for something to cause them to get cancelled or Del Toro to depart.

DC has done a great job with their darker, grittier adaptations (Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Watchmen, V for Vendetta) but their attempts at starting franchises aside from Batman have....well....been less than spectacular (Green Lantern, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen). It's kind of strange considering how well they've done in animation. That's why I'm waiting to see how Man of Steel is and what director they'll pick for Justice League before getting excited about it.

Dec 8 - 10:36 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Chronicle was great, Spiderman was ok but not really amazing.

Dec 8 - 06:23 PM

King  S.

King Simba

Personally I thought each Toy Story film was better than the one preceeding it. I liked how 2 and 3 delved into surprisingly deep themes for family films. Whereas the first was simply about the two main characters learning to set aside their differences, the second was about choosing between a happy but short life and a dull but long one, while the third was about learning to let go and move on.

Dec 8 - 10:42 AM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

yeah, i agree. although the first one was a big part of my childhood, and the second one i didn't like as much, i felt the third one was better than both. so, personally, for me it is 3, 1, and then 2. 3 and 1 are close though. however, after your comment, i almost feel like watching them all again. :P

Dec 8 - 11:22 AM

James Adams

Adam Pass

i also agree with you

Dec 8 - 02:12 PM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

Dec 8 - 11:22 AM

Thom Stone

Thom Stone

i agree. i was let down by the reboot, but with these new casting rumours i'm hoping the sequel is much better. i'm cautiously optimistic. dehaan stole the show in chronicle! :)

Dec 8 - 11:23 AM

James Adams

Adam Pass

i also agree with you

Dec 8 - 02:12 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

I guess Bram Stoker's Dracula was a ripoff of Nosferatu as well.

Dec 8 - 02:16 PM

Nkanyiso Mbambo

Nkanyiso Mbambo

HAHAHAAA THAT SHIT ABOUT AVENGERS! JUST TAKEN FROM IGN's "Why Avengers will suck"
It's so fucking pathetic reading it :) It's like you didn't care that we read that article.Wow.Pathetic.

Dec 8 - 02:53 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Nothing came up when I tried to Google those keywords... do you have a link?

Dec 8 - 07:09 PM

Branden Mata

Branden Mata

What, I can't believe someone just dissed Toy Story 2 and 3 so badly. Arguably the best trilogy ever imho(Yes, its up there with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings at least to me). Toy Story 1 and 3 are my favorite, both tied. 2 is amazing, but not better than 1 or 3. Still, better than almost any other animated film imo, other than maybe The Incredibles.

Dec 8 - 04:42 PM

Chris Middleton

Chris Middleton

Yes The Incredibles is severely under heralded. In my opinion it's as good or better than any of the big live action super hero movies that have been destroying the box office the past few years.

Dec 8 - 11:02 PM

Travis Allred

Travis Allred

Toy 2 sucked, 1 was pretty good and 3 was excellent so I agree 3,1,2. Incredibles was a lot of fun but the movie we're all forgetting, the one that started it all and the best of the bunch is Finding Nemo

Dec 9 - 08:01 PM

Branden Mata

Branden Mata

I honestly think it does look bad if Justice league uses Darkseid. It just looks like there trying to copycat what Marvels doing in their movies. Maybe Braniac or Doomsday instead? Thing with Darkseid also is that he's DC's big baddie. So there's almost no where to go in the almost certain coming sequels.

Dec 8 - 04:51 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Clerks I & II were both funny, no reason news of III should be Rotten. He works best with offbeat, indy comedy so his recent missteps shouldn't be a factor when it comes to going back to his roots.

Dec 8 - 06:19 PM

Preston Orrick

Preston Orrick

Retiring.. When did it ever get started.

Dec 9 - 08:19 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Chronicle was great, Spiderman was ok but not really amazing.

Dec 8 - 06:23 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Nothing came up when I tried to Google those keywords... do you have a link?

Dec 8 - 07:09 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

When I saw the news for Casey Affleck in "Boston Strangler", I was hoping he'd step into Tony Curtis' shoes as DeSalvo the strangler from the '68 film, one of Curtis' best.

Orson Welles couldn't do it. Terry Gilliam couldn't do it. Let's try the director of "Hot Tub Time Machine". Hollywood is the ultimate windmill in a lot of ways.

Paul Williams should turn "Pan's Labyrinth" into a rock opera comedy ala "Phantom of the Paradise". Of course DePalma should handle the "split-stage" direction.

Dec 8 - 07:18 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Darkseid was created by Jack Kirby (Iron Man, Thor), so it's a very blurry line. Besides, Superman is a total bite from Nietzsche. (Or was it Hercules? Achilles? Samson?)

Dec 8 - 07:26 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I'm not saying "Chronicle" was bad, necessarially, but you kids whine a lot in movies these days. Like "Super 8". I'm irritated with any movie that has an abundance of the line "I'm sorry, OK?". If you have to beg, it probably doesn't make it a legitimate apology.

Dec 8 - 07:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I really liked Chronicle, shut down all american re-makes of Akira because we all ready have one. I agree with you 100% about super 8. That was last years biggest disappointment for me. I have noticed a lot of kid to teen flicks have "I'm sorry, okay!" attitude. Like it's written as adult fantasy. Adults having kids and teens that are completely un-apologetic, it's nice to see them apologize, hug, and get over there problems in healthy ways on screen. At least that's my theory behind this new wave of films.

Dec 8 - 10:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

No way would I even begin to compare "Chronicle" with "Akira" in terms of quality, but if it means not having to remake it (because it's already perfect!), then I'll go along for the ride.

Dec 9 - 12:30 AM

AmericanPsycho24

American Psycho

2015 is going to be a big year for movies. I can not wait!

Dec 8 - 08:30 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Dec 8 - 10:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Dec 9 - 12:30 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships