Weekly Ketchup: Chris Cooper is Spider-Man's Norman Osborn

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes new roles for Harry Potter franchise stars Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson, as well as Bradley Cooper, Tom Hardy, Liam Neeson, and Gary Oldman in movies which include reboots of Cinderella, Frankenstein, and Robin Hood. Back to Article

Comments

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

This is the modern sci-fi one (that might be trying to be in the style of Rise of the Planet of the Apes)... the Aaron Eckhart one is more in the style of Underworld (maybe).

Mar 2 - 11:03 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Chris Cooper as Norman Osborn? Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh. Maniacal laugh.

However, I do hope that at least one of the villains mentioned will only have a small part that will be expanded in a later film as 3 main villains is overkill (just look at Spiderman 3).

Does Emma Watson have a thing for playing princesses? First she was attached to play Belle and now Cinderella? Not to mention she also played a princess in an animated movie a few year back. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic for this Cinderella movie as I like the director and the actress, despite the spotty track record live action fairy tales have had so far (though early reviews for Oz are good, so maybe it'll turn things around).

Gary Oldman is a fantastic actor (to state the obvious) and Kodi Smit-McPhee has shown a lot of potential, so their addition to Dawn of the Planet of the Apes makes me all the more excited for it. I'm curious though how far they plan on continuing the franchise? Are they going to stop when the apes completely take over and the humans become dumb? Or are they going to try and retell the events of the first film (which would be a bad idea in my opinion, as while there was a lot to improve in the sequels, the original still holds up incredibely well to this day)?

Loved all of the Neil Gaiman adaptations so far, so even without reading the novel I'm looking forward to the Ocean at the End of the Lane adaptation.

Can't argue with the rotten developments. The Nut Job sounds like a b-level movie and the Act of Valor guy doing Robin Hood? Count me out.

Mar 2 - 11:25 AM

jordangberg

Jordan Goldberg

I agree the first Planet of the Apes is still really good to this day. Just because special effects and makeup were not as good back in the day, Hollywood keeps thinking they have to remake all of these oldschool great movies. I still think the original Willy Wonka is waaay better than the new one with Johnny Depp. And I love both Depp and Tim Burton, but you just can't beat Gene Wilder's performance. That, and the oompa loompa's were annoying and the songs were too, in my humble opinion.

Mar 2 - 02:15 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Hollywood doesn't remake movies because of the outdated special effects; anyone that does that is a disgrace to film making. Some remake them for the simple reason to make them more modern for viewers, others do it because the film already sucked (Prom Night), others do it for the easy cash-in, & others do it for the reason of re-adapting the source if the first adaption of it didn't do it justice (Stephen King's IT). If people only remade/re-adapted movies just because of special effects, then films like Little Shop of Horrors or Rocky Horror Picture Show would be getting re-adaptions right now. Also, the new Chocolate Factory movie was NOT a remake, & anyone that calls it a remake doesn't know shit about what "remake" really means. And even if it was, it's still better than that mediocre book adaption 70s one (just because Gene Wilder is in it doesn't automatically make the movie gold or better, as great of an actor he is). The old one is bad on every aspect, from the predictable storyline to the bad performances & bad casting choices (with the exception of Wilder, who unfortunately gave a performance that bored me after a while), & it is one of the worst book adaptions in history (just as bad as the Eragon & Percey Jackson movie adaptions).

Mar 4 - 09:01 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

And the songs for the Oompa Loompas were not annoying, the old ones were. At least the new Oompa Loompa songs had rhythm, catchy tunes I easily memorized, & sounded DIFFERENT. I can compare the songs of the old Oompa Loompas to the songs I can hear from Disney Channel (I.E. crap that all sounds the same).

Mar 4 - 09:06 PM

bubbles

S L

I couldn't disagree more. That Johnny Depp movie was crap.

Mar 5 - 09:06 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

But it's repulsive, revolting and wrong, chewing and chewing all day long.

Mar 5 - 11:53 AM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

I would believe they'll continue with the whole "Infection" scenario a bit longer.

Mar 4 - 03:54 AM

Myze

Myze Divine

Agree about Neil Gaiman books. American Gods was a great, unique book. Can't say I'm incredibly interested about the HBO series (will need to learn more), but I am interested in the next book (not so much the movie, although I'll probably see it).

Mar 2 - 12:13 PM

Maalstrom Aran

Tom F

I completely agree about Dafoe. The guy's a monster. He nailed Norman in the first one.

Mar 2 - 12:25 PM

jordangberg

Jordan Goldberg

Gary Oldman is one of the most underrated actors of his time in my opinion. I think he should go down in the top 10, if not top 5, best actors of all time. It took me a while to even realize he was British due to his great American accent. He was so good in The 5th Element. Speaking of underrated actors, I think the same of Colin Farrell. Just his performance in Phone Booth alone prove to me hes really good, especially with different accents. He's Irish and pulled off an amazing New Yorker accent in that movie...

Mar 2 - 01:57 PM

Jameson B.

Jameson Bradford

If you really want to see Colin Farrell excel, see "In Bruges." Fantastic movie, and a great performance.

Mar 4 - 07:00 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

That is one seriously under-rated film.

Mar 4 - 02:32 PM

jordangberg

Jordan Goldberg

Yeah I actually thought Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter was pretty damn good. It was definitely entertaining that's for sure.

Mar 2 - 02:06 PM

jordangberg

Jordan Goldberg

They should just have him wear the Green Man costume with a paper mache golbin mask...

Mar 2 - 02:08 PM

jordangberg

Jordan Goldberg

Mar 2 - 02:15 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Mar 4 - 09:01 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Mar 4 - 09:06 PM

bubbles

S L

I couldn't disagree more. That Johnny Depp movie was crap.

Mar 5 - 09:06 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

But it's repulsive, revolting and wrong, chewing and chewing all day long.

Mar 5 - 11:53 AM

Edd Jefferson

Edd Jefferson

RT needs to fire their proofreaders...

Mar 2 - 03:25 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

They'd have to hire them first.

Mar 4 - 02:32 PM

Alex Bauman

Alex Bauman

Well Lucky Number Slevin was an incredible film despite it's 51% rating on Rotten tomatoes, but what I really want is a faithful adaptation to the book.

Mar 2 - 03:47 PM

Alex Bauman

Alex Bauman

I think that's a good idea. Either end with him beginning the Green Goblin or just keep him as Norman Osborne for the whole film and have him become Goblin in the 3rd one (kinda like how Curt Connors probably would have eventually become the Lizard in Raimi's series if Spider-man 4 didn't have the plug pulled on it.

Mar 2 - 03:48 PM

Jerad Donley

Jerad Donley

We are going to look back at the amazing spiderman 2 as the absolute worse misscast villian movie ever how is chris cooper going look fighting spidy jamie and paul are to talented actors to play lower level tier villians

Mar 2 - 03:52 PM

Kyle Frame

Kyle Frame

I remember many people saying the same about Heath Ledger playing the Joker. And Chris Cooper is insanely talented as well. I wouldn't overlook him.

Mar 3 - 08:53 PM

Jameson B.

Jameson Bradford

If you want to be taken seriously, or even just understood, please learn to use punctuation.

Mar 4 - 06:54 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Oh, THAT Frankenstein; well, now that I remember that one, it does seem better suited for him.

Mar 2 - 04:29 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Just look at how well Igor did in his spotlight in that Tim Burton rip-off animated movie.

Mar 2 - 04:30 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

What movie was that?

Mar 3 - 09:57 AM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

Umm, Igor.

Mar 4 - 12:07 AM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Doctor Doom is considered the (main) archenemy of the Fantastic Four. Kingpin is considered the (main) archenemy of Daredevil. So, Fox has the rights to Doom, and the rights to Kingpin likely reverted back to Marvel a few months ago. Spidey is Sony.

Mar 2 - 07:35 PM

Fernandoo Sanchez Carriel

Fernandoo Sanchez Carriel

I actually liked Amazing Spiderman quite more than Spiderman, I wasn't to attached or marveled by William Dafoe's Green Goblin so I don't really care about Chris Cooper, he looks quite intimidating tho.
I'm really looking forward to Gary Oldman in Apes
I'm quite excited about the Cinderella reboot, I think it could actually work

Mar 2 - 09:19 PM

Eldest2005

Christopher Aull

Chris Cooper seems a decent choice to play the Norman Osborn. But I'm worried about where they're going with TASM 2 since I've noticed that they've added many new characters: MJ, Harry Osborn, Electro, Rhino, Norman, and two more roles by Felicity Jones and Colm Feore. I just hope that they know what they're doing with the sequel or this may turn out like Spider-Man 3.

Mar 2 - 10:58 PM

Javier Diaz

Javier Diaz

Dude... You said Emma Thompson... It's Watson...

Mar 3 - 07:24 AM

Trailer for Angelina Jolie's latest

<em>The Hunger Games</em>
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

<em>Jimi</em> Trailer
Jimi Trailer

Clips: Andre 3000 plays Hendrix!