—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

The Amityville Haunting Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

December 16, 2012
This is one of those films in the found footage genre that has been lost due to the fact that so many films have popped up in recent memory and have made impact. This one on the other hand never did due to several reasons. First off, the series has been stretched out to its limits and has no shred of creativity left in terms of effective storytelling, and that was apparent with other entries in this series as well. Acting wise, everyone here seems lost, and can't act whatsoever. This is a poorly constructed film with no care given to the film's content and it was clear that the filmmakers didn't care about how the finished product would look. This is a painful film to watch and in terms of found footage, this is among the worst films in the genre. I really don't understand why this one was made, as it offers nothing to the genre, aside from bad directing and acting. In the long run, you'll surely forget this one, and it definitely isn't worth your time. Watch something else as this one is just a painful viewing experience that doesn't deliver any scares or thrills. You will surely be bored watching this film, and you'll be disappointed that the film didn't offer anything worthwhile that would warrant a viewing of this dreadful piece of trash. Pass up on this; you'll be glad you did. Director Geoff Meed can't direct a film, and he never should make another film again. The Amityville Haunting offers nothing new to the genre, and it is a mess from start to finish.
April 22, 2012
Former Marine Douglas (Jason Williams) moves his wife, his teenage daughter, his young son and young daughter into a house in Amityville, which they discover was the old Amityville home where Ronald J. Defeo Jr. massacred his family, and the same house the Lutz family lived in as well.

Using first person camerawork from the son Tyler (Devin Clark), and surveillance cameras set up in the house, we're treated to a bunch of light scares, horrible acting, and a plot so paper thin if you turned it sideways you wouldn't be able to see it.

I heard about this film and was intrigued, but when I saw it was done by Asylum, my hopes diminished greatly. For those who don't know, Asylum makes horrid straight-to-DVD rip-offs of big motion pictures. And this one is no exception. Not only does it rip off the Amityville franchise, but the Paranormal Activity ones as well.

The storyline, as stated earlier, was just horrid. Two people died while the family moved in, and they didn't really give it much heed. The kid captures a lot of paranormal stuff on his camera, but not once did they ask to actually SEE what he recorded. Some of the scares were cool, and the dad's meltdown into insanity was funny to see, but other than that, it was just really bad.

Not to mention they really hold to the fact that this "is a real movie" based on "real found footage," even going to the lengths of not having a cast listed, and a special "documentary" about what really happened in the house. Complete with spelling errors (such as calling a Sheriff a "Sherrif") and listing the coroners reports with "extram" instead of "extreme."

So call the "Sherrif" because this movie is "extram" trash.
March 19, 2012
See? This is what happens when you don't have a script. Actors must improv and boy, do they improv poorly when they don't have any clue what the hell is supposed to be happening.
March 6, 2012
This movie was actually very irritating- the way the parents wouldn't even listen to the son in the slightest bit to forgetting to mention the teenage daughter a couple of times towards the end. Just ... eh
February 16, 2012
Basically, The Amityville Haunting is an attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Paranormal Activity franchise by transferring it to the Amityville house. The result is an uninspired, derivative, and ultimately boring found-footage haunted house film that never even bothers to develop a creepy atmosphere. People dropping dead off camera isn't really that creepy, especially when it is accompanied by the worst acting and direction ever....
James Croxton
March 26, 2014
One of the many movies to come out of the franchise. This film is definitely not top quality and is one of the worst found-footage films I've seen. The only interesting part is the electrocution, as it was unexpected.
March 21, 2014
I don't care what anyone else thinks, I love the found footage genre. This had so much potential and it started out building well, but then it just all went to hell. It became cheesy and not scary at all. Also, the acting by the "dad" was simply awful.
November 2, 2013
The worst film I've ever seen.. and I've seen Couple's Retreat and Sorority Row for christ's sake.
October 29, 2013
What a complete piece of crap, the acting was horrible, the story nonsensical, and it was just painful to watch. They didn't even have a facade of the iconic house for Gods sake! skip this worthless piece of crap.
October 27, 2013
whiniest 14-year-old boy voice possible: "But MOM!!?! What about my documentary?"
October 23, 2013
Wow. What a real crap fest this was. The ONLY good thing about this movie was the original marketing "claiming" that the footage is "real". Well, it IS crappy enough to be shot buy a teenager. Don't waste your time. The original movie filed in the late 70's is far superior in every way.
June 16, 2013
Nothing new or original. but I kinda liked it. It's a very generic found footage film, a la Paranormal Activity.
John W.
June 14, 2013
Derivative, scare-free and mining a source that has been completely played out. Terrible across the board - acting, dialogue, camera work. Also what is quite possibly the worst death scene ever (thank you Jason Williams) and definitely the worst ending ever. Ultimately pointless, the only true question is how did this get made?
June 5, 2013
This movie fucking sucks in like 10 different ways. So the acting is complete shit. the story made shitty sense like i can go watch a child's cartoon and it would have a better plot then this. I spent more time laughing then screaming at this movie, oh wait that's because i never screamed. Whoever wrote the script for this movie should be fired. 0/10 would not watch again.
February 11, 2012
Another one by the asylum course this one had so many mistakes that didn't even make sense and again the effects were lowsy so anyone wanting to get scared better look in a different direction.
Ignatius J Raster
January 6, 2013
There is a sense in which a very meagre amount of effort - some of it perhaps genuine - has gone into the production of this movie. But, to be clear, this is the work of amateurs. In an ideal world it should never have reached an audience outside classroom walls. It's even hard to tell to what degree its failure owes to sheer incompetence or blatant pilfering from other movies of the same genre. Honestly, there isn't an ounce of creativity or ingenuity anywhere. I won't condescend to describe how cheap and poorly manufactured the horror is in this low-down dirty shame for a movie. I will, however, briefly mention the acting that is on the whole absolutely terrible. But wait! no so fast, Batman! There is a fantastic scene here near the end of the movie, the husband and father of the house experiences a convulsive, major nervous breakdown that deserves a CRAP award for releasing such trash into the airwaves and on countless television screens all over the world (what is it really? what's the actual number of audience members for a movie this bad? Four, maybe five, screens?). All of this transpires in various locations throughout the house but captured conveniently by the many video cameras installed in their home. Anyway, great freak out scene. Good for at least 75 breaths of air to one moon. The best part is that the man of the house does his best to adhere to the most generic gender stereotypes, while the laziest examples are probably more linked to human instinct than cultivated action, but he also clearly doesn't know how to act. At the point where the audience should be climaxing, we are treated to rapidly shifting images of the husband gyrating on the floor, throwing his arms and legs around, kicking and screaming like a regular goofball, and then we're back in business, except he's gone the next instant, barely able to stand on his own two feet. Is this just a bad case of restless leg syndrome? A human being turned into a dreidel. Spun. Yeah, definitely. This guys spun. At the same time the movie is falling apart both literally and figuratively. [Incidentally this reminds me of a trip I once took to the Sundance Film Festival which was taking place one evening high in the mountains on a makeshift stage, where we were due to attend a production of Guys and Dolls, and there was a major stormfront due to collide with the same area later that evening, only nobody really knew about it until it was too late to turn back. I was nine or ten years old at the time. I coud have taken the play or let it be standing on its own merits, preferably the later, which helps explain why I would find the events that followed such sheer delight, as huge set pieces and designs went flying off the stage while the actors on stage did their best to ignore the fact that their reality was under destruction. For one night and one night alone, it was like watching an plaster-cast construction of myself briskly dancing on the stage, light as a feather and thin as a leaf.] Well, I may as well have been in Utah at Sundance in place of watching The Amityville franchise in action in 2011 for this stupid and ridiculous Haunting every bit as flimsy and shoddy as the cardboard they used to decorate the stage that evening. This crucial unravelling... in front of the family... immensely entertaining, I swear, and I highly recommend watching it. Obviously the creators weren't trying to be funny, but this movie is so friggin' hilarious, you'll find yourself rolling on the floor with laughter (or your money back, guaranteed!).
February 18, 2013
"Found Footage" movie strikes again. This time a family moves into a cheap house and discovers an evil presence that leaves doors open. Elongated annoying scenes pad the running time. Apparently they saved money by not giving acting lessons. I did find myself cheering on the parents when they kept telling the son (unsuccessfully) to stop recording. And why was he recording all of this? He kept whining about some documentary... that apparently has something to do with taking long boring scenes of moving men moving boxes and "secretly" taping his sister coming out of a shower in a towel, the films creepiest scene (while "hiding" in a closet with the door almost open half way).
January 31, 2013
The ghosts of the past return after the Benson family moves in to the accursed Amityville house, and now, the footage of their horrifying ordeal has finally been found... THE AMITYVILLE HAUNTING isn't even worth commenting on, seeing as how no one will be able to sit through the first hour anyway. It is another trite and cliche haunted house film that uses the "found-footage" technique to alleviate the cast and crew of any responsibility for the poor performances and careless writing. The introduction of the irritating Benson family is enough to drive anyone away immediately, but stick around long enough, and you can marvel as the shadowy CG ghosts dart on and off screen while pushing people down the stairs. Inexcusable direct-to-video garbage.
January 1, 2013
Insightful yet empty.
October 27, 2012
This movie has all the potential to be great... a combination of Paranormal Activity and The Amityville Horror, count me in! Unfortunately it is hampered by horrendously bad acting and gaping plot holes.

To recap roughly the first ten minutes of the film, the realtor showing the Benson family the house randomly dies in the driveway and nobody is bothered by it. The following day when the family is moving in, one of the movers falls down the steps and gets crushed by a cardboard box. Once again nobody seems all that bothered by this. As a matter of fact the father responds by saying 'these sorts of things happen all the time"

It is really a shame how little attention to detail has been given and how low of quality the acting is. Because there actually are scenes that could have worked, had they not been utterly ruined by the acting.