90% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

The Apparition Reviews

Nicki M

June 28, 2014
It's exactly what you think it will be. No better or worse than any other straight to dvd horror movie.
Felt like watching something creepy with a few scares and this delivers.
I think this movie has been unfairly panned. While it's not a masterpiece, it does make sense and, honestly, do you usually rent an unheard of horror movie for the great acting?
As it happens, cast is fine. Ashley Green is a decent actress, got to admit, she and the boyfriend are both so pretty it does feel a bit like an advert at first, but again, that's typical in this genre. Tom Felton is pretty good as well.
End credits are very nice to look at also.
I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to run out and purchase this, but if it happened to be on TV, I don't think it's a total waste of an hour and a bit. (Not all that long either at under 80 minutes).
Everett J

December 14, 2012
"Apparition" is the type of movie that makes you appreciate other movies, that you otherwise take for granted. This is kind of like "Paranormal Activity", only with a budget and zero of the creativity. "Activity" may not be a great horror movie, but when it came out it was inventive and unique. This is a rip off, and a very bad one at that. It's about a couple who are haunted in their home by a presence that was summoned during a college experiment. The acting is horrible, the story is generic, and the execution is poor. There is long stretches of just "spooky" music that doesn't move the story along, or provide any real suspense. All this movie made me want to do was re-watch the first "Paranormal Activity". If your a fan of horror or movies in general, you will probably be disappointed with this.
Liam G

November 30, 2012
two and a half
Tyler R

August 26, 2012
I'm not gonna beat around the bush. This is the worst horror film I've ever seen. It's so bad that apparently it's been released in only about 600 movie theaters. Just when I thought 2012 was starting to look good for movies...The Apparition is about this couple who live in a haunted house and they call in some guy to help them. Boom, that's it, nothing original, nothing inspired. The plot of the movie is so bad and lazy. The overall story couldn't get anymore cliched. The couple experience stuff that's suppose to be scary, but it's just annoying because of how repetetive it gets. Most of the movie is just people hearing noises and screaming "OH MY GOD! WHAT WAS THAT?!" So in case you're wondering, yes, it is just another episode of Ghost Hunters. The acting in the film is just terrible. Not one good performance, not even from Tom Felton. I actually feel bad fo him though. He's gotten off the success of Harry Potter and Rise of the Planet of the Apes, now he's in this piece of shit and to be honest, he looked liked he didn't even want to be a part of this movie. The thing is the film is just under an hour an a half, but it felt like a whole 2 hours when watching this movie. Just about every scene just drags on and on as it tries to build suspense, but it just ends up being a bunch cheap set ups with no pay-off. The only scary thing about this movie is the fact that it was actually allowed to be made. I can't even imagine what the screenwriter must've been thinking when he came up with this. It just blows my mind how uninspired and boring this film is. I'm also going to give away the ending of the movie since I doubt if anyone cares by this point, but if you don't want spoilers, then stop reading. The very last shot of the movie also happens to be the poster for the movie AND the last shot of the trailer. When the arms are grabbing the girl from behind is when the movie ends. I wasn't expecting anything special considering how much the rest of the film sucked, but it just pissed me off that the ending of the movie was shown to the public before it was even released. When it comes to bad movies, I'd suggest you see it just so you can experience how bad it really is. But with this movie, you should just avoid it. I don't care of you see a commercial of it where the guy says it's the number one movie in America or there's just a bunch of fake reviews praising the movie. Do not see this movie. It's easily one of the worst movies of 2012 and it needs to be forgotten.
Joshua W

August 24, 2012
Every minute I kept saying... seems legit.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

November 27, 2012
An experiment by three college kids unleashes a supernatural presence which follows one (Stan) to the new home he's moved into with his girlfriend (Greene).
There's been a wave of haunted house flicks lately and they've all been bad but this is by far the worst of the bunch. Like 'The Possession', it's setting is a ghost estate but as with that movie it does nothing to exploit this backdrop. The terrifying supernatural force in this case takes the form of a patch of damp. Even the characters involved don't seem too scared by events and the viewer certainly won't be. It's very easy to make a bad horror movie but it's quite an achievement to make one as dull as this turkey. Were it not for the presence of actors associated with 'Harry Potter' and 'Twilight', I doubt this would have seen the light of day.
Jacob P

October 23, 2012
This was descent. It had a few pretty good scenes here and there, but overall, the story was weak and the acting was horrible. Wish I could've liked it a bit better...
Christopher H

July 23, 2012
Besides a good enough showing from actor Tom Felton and some eye-candy from the could-be talented Ashley Greene, "The Apparition" fails to become much bigger than itself, losing its unique content to an isolated and under-utilized presence. With more static shots of an everyday house and neighborhood (including tons of power-lines, for some unexplained reason) than anything else, this horror film holds very few scares and those that are present are complete rip-offs of films like "The Ring", "The Grudge", and "Paranormal Activity".
Erin C

May 9, 2014
I didn't think this was as bad as others said it was. It was creepy and suspenseful.
Jason C

August 24, 2012
HELP! I'VE BEEN ROBBED! This movie took my $7 and ran. FAST. The Apparition is so incredibly unoriginal, uninspired, inconsistent and most poorly written, directed and acted, that I'm almost at a loss for words. Almost. Even the sets weren't scary or interesting. It was too bright, it was too dark. Nobody seemed to know what they were going for.

This mushy movie that has no real direction, and it's explained as such in the film, is just a copy and dumbing down of so many other horror movies. It's almost a cross between an idea for an alien movie and horror film. There are no aliens and it's not scary. There is exactly one intense scene that is a direct rip-off of The Ring. The rest of the time I was bored to tears. So bored, in fact, that I spent part of the movie being grateful that I don't have hemorrhoids, otherwise it would have been quite a bit more uncomfortable.

What confused me, though, is why this junker could even make it to theaters with no big names attached to it. You can't really blame the actors, since they were given NOTHING to work with. And if this is the best editing could do, I can only imagine what they were given to work with. But it's not like they had quality editors with a list of good movies they've done. I would not want my name attached to this. The good news is that writer/director Todd Lincoln couldn't do a worse job. I could do just as well, and I have no idea how to make a horror movie.

I'm not saying anyone shouldn't see this movie, I'm begging you not to. There is nothing of substance here.
sage8595
December 9, 2012
Listen to the critics on this one. Most interesting premise relies on a purchase of a cactus. Unoriginal, boring, lazy, dull, uninteresting, and quite lame. 1$ viewings still feels like a scam. What were these actors and filmmakers thinking, it makes me question a little. A quite embarrassing film.
March 22, 2013
Good movie. I always like movies that Ashley Greene is in. It wasn't scary enough and not long enough though. My stomach only jumped a couple times.
July 14, 2013
I'm going to say it had potential, because it could have been good. But It seemed like it really needed to be longer. It sort of just stops without any sort of real ending. Does everyone die? Is she imagining it? It appeared as though they auctally understood the "evil" and could have defeated it, unless they chose to give in to it. Honestly it seemed really short, possibly because the shit hits the fan from the get go. there isn't any real introduction so the characters, they go back and do that once they start getting screwed with. There are some moments where they are terrorized and they are moments where if you are a jumper, you will get scared. Other moments are just so bizar you would get scared if this stuff was actually happening.
KeylaBall18
May 16, 2013
They could have made this movie way better! I liked the plot but they didn't give much explanation to anything.
March 23, 2013
Right off the top of my head, I can think of at least five horror movies I've seen that are almost identical to this one... and most of them were better. Ashley Greene is adorable, but she does not make this movie worth sitting through. It's not scary, and it's really not even very entertaining.
February 26, 2013
Man, this was fucking awful, a series of ghost story cliches tied together with a heaping helping of J-Horror tropes that you've seen a dozen times before. The female lead scampers around in her undies a bit, which was a welcome high point in the film, but otherwise there's not a helluva lot to recommend it.

Pass?
Tshady24
January 20, 2013
It was a complete disappointment.. The only really suspensful scenes were already shown in trailors, I feel like it had potential in the begining but completely dropped the ball.
January 9, 2013
Similiar to Paranormal Activity movies. It was boring, with absolutely no excitement and far to predictable. There was no point to it, and the ending was horrible like it was just thrown together in three minutes to hurry up and end the film.
January 7, 2013
Young couple Kelly (Ashley Greene) and Ben (Sebastian Stan) just got their own place, and almost immediately it seems there's something wrong with it. Doors close without anyone near them. Lights flicker on and off. A neighbor's dog dies.

It seems that the house is haunted, but a dark secret haunts the couple when it's revealed that Ben had worked with his old friend Patrick (Tom Felton) and some other college friends to try to conjure up a spirit. Instead they brought over something even more terrifying, who longs to be a part of the human world - and if you believe in it, it will suck you into oblivion, or some place like that.

This is just a run-of-the-mill ghost story with nothing that adds anything new to the genre. The bland acting is only the beginning of this trainwreck, that even the production company tried to keep under wraps by not advertising it. Plus if you saw the trailer for the film, you've seen the whole thing. Literally. Even the movie poster gives away the ending. Not scary in the slightest, this is a ghost story that needs to just stay dead.