• PG-13, 1 hr. 31 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Beaver Reviews

Carlos M

August 2, 2012
Firmly directed by Jodie Foster and with a heartfelt performance by Gibson, this is an interesting drama about a depressed man suffering from schizophrenia and projecting part of his personality into a puppet. Even so, the script is unfocused and has an easy, sappy conclusion.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

July 17, 2012
Thanks to Foster's directing, there is a superb balance between a serious drama and a dark comedy. This makes 'The Beaver' both an enjoyable and emotional movie. Along with strong performances by Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster, this film really does make you aware of how easily depression can have an impact on families. Overall 'The Beaver' shows that Foster still makes a promising director, along with Gibson still capable of having a strong leading role.
Cynthia S

September 9, 2011
What a surprise! I was not expecting to like this movie, but I did. Quite a bit! Very quirky. Rather dark. Some well placed humor, at times..but mostly sad, touching, and very well done. Jodie Foster is an exceptional director, in my opinion. The whole thing even made me forget that I dislike Mel now. He did a great job, I have to admit. It must have taken a lot of courage to attempt a comeback in a quirky movie like this. I think that he pulled it off quite well....
maxthesax
maxthesax

June 19, 2012
A film that features a man communicating through a hand puppet of a Beaver must be a comedy, right? Well, partly so - how could it not be? And yes, the film does have some moments that make you smile, but this Jodie Foster directed film is far deeper; deftly exploring clinical depression in a sober, and somber way.

Mel Gibson stars as a man suffering from depression. It's gotten to the point where he is literally sleepwalking through his life. He has given up, as all the little foibles and trials of daily life seem insurmountable to him. His wife, also played by Foster, still cares for him, but has distanced herself in an act of self preservation - which is part of Mel's problem. Everywhere he may step in attempting to fix the problem is a minefield, so he takes an avoidance tactic to the nth degree by emotionally and physically (by sleeping long and often) withdrawing from his own life.

This film shows, in spite of his public outbursts, that Mel still has serious acting chops. His performance is measured - over the top when necessary, and powerful in its silence, where much is conveyed by a raised eyebrow or sideways glance. In an act of desperation after a suicide attempt fails, Mel creates an alter ego - a hand puppet of a beaver who has this wonderful Manchester accent. Mel expertly flips between the two personas, with each being distinct and easily discernable, and totally believable that they coexist in the same mind.

Mel's struggle of trying to get his life back - reuniting with a family that he has, in many ways, betrayed by his actions, is meaty enough, but in an interesting move the film also tells a parallel story of Mel's eldest son, a bright high school senior who detests what his father did to the family and detests himself as he sees many of his father's mannerisms in himself - chief among them being the moodiness and glass half empty outlook.

While we see Mel's adult struggles in trying to reconnect and find some kind of joy in the adult world of work and family, his son Porter is equally at war with the expectations of high school. Foster does a nice job flipping back and forth between the two, drawing not only the parallel of father and son, but pointing out that, while they each have different crosses to bear, in either case life ain't easy.

As Mel tries to reconnect with his wife, son Porter takes interest in a cheerleader and class valedictorian, who, in spite of appearing to have the world as her oyster, has her own demons to deal with - and this becomes the central theme of the film... we all have our crosses to bear, and as the valedictorian speech makes clear towards the film's close, "there are 6 little words that our family and friends tell us - and those 6 words are lies... no, everything is not going to be alright!"

One might think that the use of a hand puppet is a mere contrivance, but I found it to be totally believable: a physical representation of multiple personality disorder, or just the wars we all have within ourselves as we try to cope. In creating the Beaver, Mel's character is giving control of his life to his self created alter ego - which is typical of MPD patients. As the alter ego becomes more successful, Mel gives it more and more control, until the real and lesser personality becomes almost non-existent. Finally, a war between the two parts of his psyche takes place - and all the early humor disappears, making the film a poignant drama.

In an interesting bit of allegory, the company that Mel inherited from his father is called Jerry Co. If you're up on the book of John in the bible, concerning the war of Jerico - only by absolute obedience to God was the city of Jerico delivered to Joshua - which echoes Mel's situation - only by giving himself over to his alternate personality, the Beaver, can he achieve success and reinstall himself in the real world. In a manner of speaking - Mel must let the Beaver be his god.

I'm reminded of the sign that used to hang over the door of John Larroquette's office on his old TV show (which also dealt with depression and other mental demons): "Life is a dark ride".
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
Aside from being incredibly boring, THE BEAVER is an uneven motion picture. Though intended to perform as a look at one man's dreadful state of depression, we often end up getting a completely unrelated view of that man's son's hassle over trying to write his girlfriend's graduation speech. Also, the film flies by in a matter of 90 minutes (thank God), but that amount of time didn't seem to be quite enough to propel it much further than the point at which it started. Not to mention, the ending is quite predictable.

THE BEAVER does not work well as a comedy, nor does it meet up to the sufficiency of a drama. The humor here is quite commonplace and along the lines of what we would expect for a movie about a disturbed family man (i.e. "Today at school, a bully threw me into a dumpster." "What did your teacher do about it?" "She got me out of the dumpster."), and if that's your kind of humor, go right ahead with this one. THE BEAVER strives to be poignant, but can you really expect to be moved by a movie about a crazy guy who talks by using a puppet? Think about it and decide.

Ranked #5 worst of 2011.
Saskia D

January 10, 2011
In my opinion this movie is underrated, but I understand it is not for everybody.
It exposes the (self)destructive effects of a long depression in an original way. I like it when you don't know if you should laugh or cry. Nice work Jodie!
KJ P

May 7, 2011
In Jodie Foster's directorial debut, "The Beaver" tells the harsh tale of Walter (played by Mel Gibson) who has many mental illnesses. The film doesn't take it's time to say that his older son hates him, his younger son is confused, but still loves his father, and his wife (Jodie Foster) throws him out. In the literal sense, after being thrown out, he finds a beaver puppet in the dumpster down in some alley. He takes it back to his new apartment as he talks to himself as another person, through the beaver. Walter represents his happy/confused side, while the beaver represents his one-sided hatred on life. There are many intense scenes and the acting is perfect. You truly believe that he is talking to a puppet, the only problem is, I think it could have been a tad longer and given a few more details about how their family used to be. Besides that fact, "The Beaver" is a must-see for any age and it is one of the best stories that has been put on screen in 2011!
cosmo313
cosmo313

February 24, 2011
Once successful toy company exec and happy family man Walter Black has fallen into a deep depression that sees him well into a dark place from which there may not be a return. Upon finding a beaver hand puppet in a dumpster, Walter decides to begin wearing and communicating through the puppet, feeling that it may jsut be the thing he needs to revive his bleak situation.

Based on that premise alone, I was intrigued. However, I still had some reservations about this movie. For one, this project in general, depending on how the material was handled, was either going ot be a great hit, or a massive failure. It is a bit hard to buy into the premise and take it seriously. For another, the casting of Mel Gibson in the lead ended up being both a blessing and a curse, his real life meltdowns and outbursts give him the credibility needed to make the material work, but also make it hard to accept the film due to the fact that he hasn'tr quite yet overcome his own real life undoings.

Despite all that, I was still intrigued and wanted to give the film a chance, because well, I was curious to see how this film was handled, and because I'm willing to give Gibson a chance, no matter how big of an unsympathetic nutjob he might be (or come off as). And, you know what, I'm glad I gave this film a chance. It is good. It is certainly weird, but the film takes the material seriously, and I think if anyoen who sees it does likewise, they will find that this film does have a lot to offer and does deal with some serious and imortant issues.

As for the tone, well, this film does have some funny moments, but it's not a comedy. What humor there is stays on the dark side, keeping the film as mostly an odd psychological drama. It gets pretty dark too. I figured it would get into the serious territory, but when this film decides to get dark, it gets pretty dark...more than I was thinking. The film has big Alexander Payne vibe to it, and, even though I don't think Foster (as director) is at Payne's level, she handles the material in just the right way, thus the film flirts with the farcical and parodic side of things, but thankfully never quite crosses into that area.

The film is a bit absurb, and like I've said, you have to be able to buy into the premise and suspend some disbelief, but this is certainly a film that is not boring, very compelling and interesting, but it definitely scores some big points for having a fresh and interesting take on how someone might deal with mental illness. As a nice counterpoint to the main story, the film also follows Walter's oldest son Porter, who resents his dad and tries his hardest to not end up like him. Porter makes a living on the side writing papers for other students, and this leads him to begin a little something with the class valedictorian who reveals she has some struggles of her own.

I did enjoy this movie, and yeah, it is entertaining, but it's definitely not the most happy film ever (it's far from being the bleakest though), but it provides tons of food for thought and does a really strong job of treating the material with care and respect. That said, I kinda felt like the script could have been a little sharer and stronger. The B story works well, but I think it could have been fleshed out more and better, and actually has enough there that it could have been a film all on its own.

As far as the acting goes, Gibson does deliver some really good work, but his polarizing nature (mostly because of the last few years) might make it hard for some to be very accepting. I think it mostly helps him, and casting someone known more for comedy would probably have been a mistake, unless of course the material would have stayed as is instead of changing tonally. Foster is solid as always as Walter's wife Meredith, but for me, aside from Gibson, I think the ones to watch here are Anton Yelchin as Porter and Jennifer Lawrence as the valedictorian Norah. Yelchin's been around the movies since he was a kid, but he hasn't quite had the major breakthrough to really ensure he'll have a lifelong career. As far as I know though, he's pretty much almost always delivered exellent work, and this film helps strengthen the case for him being considered as someone to appreciate more. Lawrence has thankfully not been a one trick pony in the wake of Winter's Bone, and with this one, she takes what could have been a shallow, bland boring role and gives it depth and nuance.

Even if you despise Gibson for his real life indiscretions, you should give this film a chance. It might be hard to do that, but it's worth it. This is an unconventional film that won't be for everybody, but if you come to it with an open mind and a desire to see a film with a good deal of substance and thought provokingness, then you should be happy. I'm a little torn on it, so let's call it a toss up between a 3.5 and a 4.
blkbomb
blkbomb

November 28, 2011
Walter Black: This is a picture of Walter Black, who had to become The Beaver, who had to become a father, so that one day this might just become a picture of Walter Black.

"He's here to save Walter's life."

The Beaver is one of the oddest films I have seen this year. It is an offbeat and inventive look at depression. It is wonderfully directed by Jodie Foster and well acted by all involved, especially Mel Gibson and Anton Yelchin. The film, is at times, darkly hilarious and at other times devastating and heartbreaking. Still, despite my admiration of the film, I still never completely fell in love with it.

The Beaver follows a family of four. Mel Gibson plays Walter, who is CEO of a toy company, as well as a father and husband. He is extremely depressed and spends all of his time sleeping. His attitude affects his family in different ways. The youngest just shuts himself off from people. The eldest watches his father and notices what similarities they have. He writes them down on post it notes, so that he can eventually destroy all the similarities. Jodie Foster plays his wife and she has had enough. At the beginning of the movie we see her kick Walter out of the house. Then Walter meets a puppet and begins to open up through it. He speaks in an Australian accent and wants everyone to talk to the Beaver.

I really liked the premise and how it was handled throughout, but I didn't feel like the movie had a good enough ending. I didn't expect a huge payoff, but I expected some form of closure and didn't really get it. I turned it off feeling a little unsatisfied. On a whole though, I was surprised and pretty happy with The Beaver. It was a film that definitely had its own voice and direction. It's also a good look at insanity and depression, as well as a solid family drama.
boxman
boxman

November 5, 2011
Eerily mirroring his real-life public breakdown, Mel Gibson stars in The Beaver as Walter Black, a man crippled by depression who finds a therapeutic outlet via animal puppet. The beaver is a puppet that Walter chooses to speak through, albeit in a cockney Brit accent that sounds faintly like Ray Winstone (The Departed). Given this twee premise, you'd expect plenty of laughs, but under the prosaic direction of Jodie Foster, also starring as Black's anguished wife, the movie comes off like a stupefying heart-tugger, a sub-American Beauty style in suburban mawkishness. The comedy and drama elements don't gel at all, and The Beaver is too tonally disjointed to settle down. Gibson gives a strong performance as a man battling his demons, and the subject matter of mental illness is thankfully treated with respect despite the fantastical premise. It's the extraneous moments outside the beaver that help to detract and distract. The story of Walter's son (Anton Yelchin) worrying that he's already showing signs of mental illness, doomed to end up like the father he hates, is a palpable storyline. But writer Kyle Killen sums up this dilemma with clumsy brevity, having the son jot down post-it notes of behavior he has in common with dad, behavior to be eliminated. The entire subplot involving the son romancing the school Valedictorian (Jennifer Lawrence, sunny and beautiful as always), a pretty gal troubled with grief, never feels authentic. That's the problem with The Beaver; too much feels inauthentic to be dramatic and it's too subdued and brusque to be dark comedy. It's like the strangest public therapy session ever for a fading star.

Nate's Grade: C+
Sajin P

May 4, 2011
'The Beaver' is the story of a depressed man, who in his desperate need to reconnect with his family and profession, develops an alter-ego in the form of a hand puppet.
The film may have its funny elements, but basically it plays out as a well executed drama. Mel Gibson seems to be back at his best, handling a challenging and risky role like this with subtle ease.
A Truly Twyzted Kytten
October 10, 2011
If you want a happy-go-lucky comedy with fluff for the kids but enough depth to feed your inner adult, stop right there and put this down before someone gets hurt. This is not at all the hilarious, family comedy the trailers might have led you to believe. In fact, you might not want your younger kids watching it at all. This much established, let's make clear I liked this movie a great deal. As a comedy, this movie is surprisingly serious, employing all manner of insightful commentary on mental health, social issues, and family relation to flesh out a plot concept that originally might seem trite and cartoonish.
Walter Black (Gibson) is masterful portrayed as a toy company CEO who's lost touch with his emotions in the rush to success. Incapable of handling anything that touches his emotional core, Walter is as blank as an unplugged computer monitor. His wife (Foster) sees the road they are headed down and decides to call it quits, kicking him out of the house where they lived with their two sons. This is the catalyst for Walter to reassess his life and then opt for what seems to him the only solution; to get roilingly smashed and kill himself. After two unsuccessful (And somewhat hilarious, if you are as twisted as myself) failed attempts in this venue, Walter finds salvation in the form of a hand puppeteered beaver with a sardonic and brutally honest verbal style. Enter a mixture of hilarity and tragedy as Walter learns to enjoy the freedom of expression The Beaver affords him through disassociation.

I will warn you, if you suffer from the mental epidemia spreading through moviegoeing America in which you are unable to detach an actor's private life from his artistic work, just give it up. You will be unable to enjoy this film, and I pity you. If you are in the small majority of film connoisseurs who can detach from the tabloid frame of mind, you might just find this movie as touching, insightful, and tragicay- comical as I did. Rock on.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

October 5, 2011
Now this isn't the kind of movie that you can go into with expectations of what it will be and for the most part I didn't. The Beaver made for uncomfortable viewing for the first half an hour or so, while your own "sane" mind tries to grasp the disturbingly tangible "insanity" of Gibson's character, a part he played tremendously well. After you settle into the to rhythm of the film it delivers an emotionally poignant and heartbreakingly real adaption of one of the thousands of ways mental illness can manifest itself. You may be able to find holes in the plot or some of the more central themes of this film, but it is without a doubt one of the best constructed and magnificently acted piece of cinema in many, many years. Nice to see Gibson back where belongs, firmly on the screen in a role that you cannot stop watching. Very good.
Sophie B

October 8, 2011
A really good story of a life breaking down. Walter turned to something else to let him escape the trials and responsibilities of life, but also to let him indulge in the glory and fun life can offer. Very sad and emotional but it was flat and too easy at some parts. Would his staff/wife really be that understanding so quickly? Wouldn't he be sent straight off to a mental ward? Great job by Foster.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

September 11, 2011
This movie takes the risk of asking hard question, then succeeds by not coming up with either pat or Hallmark answers. There is no easy answer to living with or being a depressed person and I was frankly amazed at the satisfying yet not schmaltzy ending. Jodie Foster, director and star, stunningly portrayed a woman confused by what her husband has become and wants it all to go back to way things used to be....sans the Beaver...but we can never go back...we loose people, we get tangled up in blue, and then we become something else...and the movie sets up that premise right in the beginning. Mel Gibson was brilliant and for those people who refuse to see his films because of what he says A) while drunk or B) while having a supposedly private vicious argument with his lover, all I can say is--your loss.
Dan S

September 7, 2011
An ambitious though heavily flawed short-running study of a successful man (Mel Gibson) battling depression, and how his life is saved from certain disaster through the use of a beaver puppet he finds stuffed in the trash. It is an absolutely ridiculous plot, and the writing drifts from brilliant black comedy to tedious melodrama far too often, but the main reason this film remains so watchable is Gibson's rock-solid, moving turn that may not be a huge performance after all. I have said it before and I will say it again, Gibson is a figure with many personal problems, but he is an absolute force on the screen, whether it be directing films or acting in them. Here, he turns in an absolute gem of a performance, which single-handedly shifts the movie from "forgettable Lifetime" movie material to a near-good one. As said, the movie is hamstrung by its writing, especially its inability to give the father-son relationship between Gibson and Anton Yelchin the proper respect and time it deserves, but a trio of great performances (Gibson, Yelchin, and Jodie Foster who also directed this picture) make it occasionally touching despite being mostly preposterous. It has a lot of ideas and I for one do not know why Foster decided to go with such a short running time here. It is no secret that the public is enamored with Mel's recent habits, and the opportunity to see him play such a similar character to himself for a longer period of time would only help him on the sympathy front. As is, the movie is undercooked, despite showing spurts of promise.
Kase V

March 12, 2011
'The Beaver' is a solid drama that takes an interesting look into depression and family issues. Its short run time keeps the pace brisk and the experience rewarding. The camera work is very well-done, and every performance in the film is brilliant. The film may slightly alienate its audience when Gibson's character goes over the top, mostly because its such a shocking and sudden turn from depressed to maniac. Aside from these rugged tonal shifts and slightly lacking script, 'The Beaver' is a drama you shouldn't miss.
skactopus
skactopus

September 5, 2011
In a nutshell, Jodie Foster's The Beaver successfully captures the emotion of depression.Occupying an hour and a half of screen time, which doesn't seem like a whole lot, The Beaver trudges along until its finale. Although this story does tell its tale with sympathy, most of it ends up as cumbersome. The subject matter really does play a big part in the amusement level of this production.Not surprisingly, The Beaver, along with the lead character of Walter, asks for a lot of attention. Yes, The Beaver is the most memorable piece of this film; however, it does get stale before all is said and done. Furthermore, the subplot involving Walter's son is uniform and tough to get into.Mel Gibson does a good job at portraying Walter, as well as delivering a some fascinating voice work for The Beaver. Jodie Foster pulls off double duty as director and playing Walter's wife, Meredith. Despite a monotonous sub-story with Anton Yelchin, the lovely Jennifer Lawrence is alluring on screen. The Beaver isn't a terrible movie, but it's a challenge to encompass from start to finish.
Pedro H

September 2, 2011
He's here to save Walter's life.

Emotional

The Beaver is a very emotional film, those that drag out your emotions and make them very sensible; but, at the same time it is beautiful. The acting is surprising and overall its a movie worth watching as it is true art.

The story is about Walter Black(Gibson), a married father who has entered his high peak of depression, while atempting to commit suicide Walter finds a Beaver puppet in the trashcan; but surprisingly this Beaver is alive, he talks and eventually becomes Walter's hero. The movie follows how Walter and his made up puppet and how this effects his depression and the ones around him.

This movie is deep, its touching and although quite random and a little provocative it is able to fully entertain. The acting in this movie is great, and this surprises me because I'm not a Mel Gibson fan, but I certainly do love his role and his acting in this movie. Jodie Foster also does a great job, and Anton Yelchin gives a surprisingly good performance. The movie has an awesome soundtrack, along with its well established script and directing. Overall its a must go.

Walter Black: "We reach a point in order to go on we have to wipe the slate clean. We start to see ourselves as a box that we're trapped inside and no matter how we try and escape, self help, therapy, drugs, we just sink further and further down. The only way to truly break out the box is to get rid of it all together..."