Critics Consensus: The Book of Eli Is a So-So Read

Summary

This week at the movies, we've got Biblical bloodshed (The Book of Eli, starring Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman); neighborhood intrigue (The Spy Next Door, starring Jackie Chan and George Lopez); and life after death (The Lovely Bones, starring Saoirse Ronan and Mark Wahlberg). What do the critics have to say? For those who like their religious parables with plenty of fire and brimstone, The Book of Eli should be up your alley. That said, most critics say Eli is a bit of a muddle. Not since the days of Buster Keaton has anyone combined slapstick comedy with astonishing stunt work quite like Jackie Chan. However, critics say his talents are risibly misused in The Spy Next Door. Back to Article

Comments

Freudian Nightmare

Martin Andersson

I'm looking forward to "Book of Eli", have been doing since the trailer came out. Sad to see the reviews, may scare away some audience, so that Avatar can win yet another week.

Also had high hopes for "The Lovely Bones", hopefully it's better than the rumor says.

And poor, poor Jackie Chan. How far you have strayed from the path. He deserves a better ending, but I don't think he can.

Jan 14 - 05:33 PM

Nik B.

Nik Ben

I really wanted this to be a great movie, couldn't wait to see it and took a half day off from work to schlep down before the crowds. I was extremely disappointed in the movie. I'm not sure where it went wrong, but it did. Please not, I'm not someone who rushed out to see Avatar, although it is on my list of movies.
I tried to find all the redeeming qualities in the book of Eli, the hidden messages, etc., etc. This is not a movie I would watch again.

Jan 17 - 04:40 AM

Dave J

Dave J

Ebert liked 'The book of Eli' is good enough for me to wanting to check it out!!!

Jan 14 - 05:40 PM

Corey B.

Corey Beliles

The fact that Ebert liked Book Of Eli makes me more confident in liking it as well.

Jan 14 - 06:13 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Oh come on! Ebert likes every movie under the sun these days!

Jan 14 - 06:16 PM

beautifulmidnight

Mara Copland

Uh, he really, really disliked The Lovely Bones.

Not a damn thing to go see this weekend. Boo.

Jan 14 - 06:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

I didn't mean EVERY movie. Just most. Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of his since seeing him every week with Gene Siskel, but he's been pretty much saying every film released is good or great for the past two years.

Jan 14 - 07:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

ledawg 1138
I'm not the type of person who goes out his way to watch every single movie Ebert likes and it does not mean that I'd like everything he likes as well, but I like to be open minded, and as an action fan with "Eli" being post-apocalyptic sounds very fascinating to me and with Ebert giving it 3 stars makes it all the more better!!!! And if I don't like it, then I'll just move on!!!

Jan 15 - 12:01 PM

quietus28

jj l

If you think Ebert likes everything these days you haven't read his review for The Lovely Bones.

Jan 15 - 02:34 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Oh come on! Ebert likes every movie under the sun these days!

Jan 14 - 06:16 PM

beautifulmidnight

Mara Copland

Uh, he really, really disliked The Lovely Bones.

Not a damn thing to go see this weekend. Boo.

Jan 14 - 06:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 14 - 07:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

ledawg 1138

Jan 15 - 12:01 PM

quietus28

jj l

Jan 15 - 02:34 PM

inactive user

Jared King

It's a little early to call, but "The Spy Next Door" looks like one of the worst movies of 2010. Or for that matter, one of the worst movies ever made.

Jan 14 - 06:17 PM

frothy

D F

I saw The Lovely Bones, and the sentiment expressed above by the pundits seems accurate to me.

Jan 14 - 06:39 PM

Alex L.

Alex Lavoie

Wow, look like a ****ty week for releases. Seems like I will have no choice but go see Avatar another time.

Jan 14 - 06:50 PM

beautifulmidnight

Mara Copland

Uh, he really, really disliked The Lovely Bones.

Not a damn thing to go see this weekend. Boo.

Jan 14 - 06:53 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 14 - 07:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

ledawg 1138

Jan 15 - 12:01 PM

RamALamADingDong

That Guy

None of the movies this week look all that great. I'm going to see Avatar in IMAx for a third time.

Jan 14 - 07:02 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Too bad about Lovely Bones, Jackson finally bit off more than he could chew.

Jan 14 - 07:26 PM

inactive user

Jared King

Jan 14 - 07:27 PM

Dave J

Dave J

ledawg 1138

Jan 15 - 12:01 PM

bluestar50

Todd Foster

I'm surprised that Ebert didn't like "The Spy Next Door". It seems like these days he likes all of the bad films.

Jan 14 - 08:00 PM

Bob Hope

I was moderately excited about "The Book of Eli". Even after the poor reviews started coming in. It was when I heard it had religious elements that I immediately sobbed with disappointment.

Bleh.

Jan 14 - 09:24 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Umm...wasn't it obvious that the Book of Eli had religious undertones? I mean you could see it in the trailers, ads, and posters. I don't mind about religious undertones as long as any movie that uses it is good (Last Temptation of Christ, Ten Commandments, etc).

Jan 15 - 04:58 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Exactly, people crack me up when they protest religion or religious themes in movies. I'm not in favor of fascism, but it's presence in movie's is neither here nor there for me.

Jan 15 - 06:47 AM

Bob Hope

PS: inb4 Avatar takes #1 again

Jan 14 - 09:27 PM

BJB D.

BJB Digital

The Lovely Bones' reviews are rather curious. The good ones are glowing praises with high scores ( A - B ), while the negative are rather brutal. I was going to wait until home release, but now I am extremely motivated to see the film ASAP.

Jan 14 - 09:38 PM

Hollywood Karma

kevinsmithsux Last

I really have no interest in seeing The Book of Eli... I guess I'm just sick of seeing Denzel Washington walk towards the camera in slow motion with a blank look on his face, feigning badassery. Eh.

As far as The Lovely Bones goes, I still want to see it. It seems to me that a movie adaptation of it seems to be more unfilmable than The Lord of the Rings, so even though reviews are not so hot I still like Jackson's directing and will give him a handicap while watching it. Seems like more of an art film than a mainstream thing anyway.

And, uh, The Spy Next Door? Who gave someone money to make that? Why do people think movies like that should even be made? *confused*

Jan 14 - 10:07 PM

Throw An Onion

Joshua Mills

Book of Eli looked kind of cool but seriously why don't people just go see The Road instead? Its basically the same look and feel with only a better plot. However The Road does lack Gary Oldman and any hot women so maybe that is a plus for Eli.

As for Spy did anyone expect this film to be even watchable? For crying out loud when I saw the first second of this trailer I knew it would be generic, lame, cripe, aimed at kids who are too innocent to realize that filmmakers are shoving tripe down their throats. I don't like Avatar but this is the first weekend I'm praying it takes the top spot.

Jan 14 - 10:57 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Hmmm....I would've thought the Bible would have DESTROYED mankind, not saved it...but whatever. I think I'll pass on Denzel's preachy, religious non-sense. Nothing all that interesting this weekend- Lovely Bones looks like a big letdown for Jackson fans. What am I thinking- I haven't even seen Avatar yet, so I'm guessing that's where you'll be able to find me. Or watching the two fantastic new DVD releases (Moon & The Hurt Locker that is.)

Jan 15 - 02:04 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Jan 15 - 04:58 AM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 15 - 06:47 AM

DKUK

Derrick Wong

I saw The Lovely Bones the other day and IMO it seems the ctiics are right about this one. I found the first third quite watchable and had me hooked and I thought it was going to turn into something really interesting, but then it all turned rather flat....ah well, I'll let you all decide.

Jan 15 - 05:18 AM