Critics Consensus: The Bourne Legacy Is A Solid Sequel

Plus, The Campaign is witty and crude, and Hope Springs is Certified Fresh

This week at the movies, we've got a man on the run (The Bourne Legacy, starring Jeremy Renner and Rachel Weisz), a pair of congressional hopefuls (The Campaign, starring Will Ferrell and Zach Galifianakis), and spouses in a rut (Hope Springs, starring Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones). What do the critics have to say?

The Bourne Legacy

55%

With Matt Damon in the title role, the Bourne franchise was a commercial and critical juggernaut. Now, Jeremy Renner tries to give the series a reboot, and while critics say The Bourne Legacy is a bit overlong and more disjointed than previous installments, it's still a capable chase thriller with strong action scenes. Renner stars as Aaron Cross, who, like Jason Bourne, is a chemically-enhanced super-soldier. He soon discovers that the secret government agency that gave him his powers is trying to kill him, so he goes on the run with research scientist Marta Shearing (Rachel Weisz), who's also a target of the same shadowy forces. The pundits say The Bourne Legacy isn't as consistently exciting as the Damon Bournes, but it's a solid enough conspiracy movie, and Renner and Weisz are excellent. (Check out this week's 24 Frames, a slideshow of some of cinema's greatest spies.)

The Campaign

64%

How amusing can a satire of politics really be these days, given the farcical nature of modern elections? Plenty, say critics, who call The Campaign a droll, biting, and often insightful look at the electoral process -- though some of the jokes are pretty crude. Will Ferrell stars as Cam Brady, an incumbent congressman who's running unopposed for re-election until he finds himself embroiled in a scandal. A pair of big-money bigwigs push inexperienced, mild-mannered Marty Huggins (Zach Galifianakis) into the race, and things get nasty in a hurry. The pundits say The Campaign intermittently flails, but for the most part, it's goofy, timely, and, more often than not, astutely funny.

Hope Springs

74%

Hollywood rarely shines its spotlight on the love lives of older folks, so a film like Hope Springs immediately stands out from the summer movie pack. Still, critics say it's worth seeing for the virtuosic interplay between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, even if the script occasionally betrays a heavy hand. Streep and Jones star as Kay and Arnold, whose marriage lost its spark a long time ago. In an attempt to shake things up, Kay enrolls the couple in an intense counseling session with a famous therapist, and she and Arnold take tentative steps toward rekindling their relationship. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Hope Springs is sometimes manipulative, but the leads are utterly absorbing and the situation is refreshingly true-to-life. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we count down Jones' best-reviewed movies.)

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Almayer's Folly, Chantal Akerman/'s adaptation of the Joseph Conrad novel about an embittered ship captain at a remote trading post, is at 100 percent.
  • Meet the Fokkens, a documentary about 60-something identical twins who work as prostitutes in Amsterdam's red light district, is at 100 percent.
  • The Green Wave, a documentary/animation hybrid about the anti-government protests that rocked Iran in 2009, is at 88 percent.
  • 2 Days in New York, starring Julie Delpy and Chris Rock in a comedy about a couple who are rudely interrupted by the woman's wild family members, is at 71 percent.
  • Spike Lee's Red Hook Summer, a drama about a middle class kid who spends a summer with his religious grandfather in his inner-city Atlanta home, is at 68 percent.
  • $upercapitalist, a drama about a hedge fund trader whose life spins out of control after attempting a hostile takeover of a Hong Kong tech company, is at 17 percent.
  • Nitro Circus: The Movie 3D, a doc starring a fearless crew of stuntmen doing outrageous aerial tricks, is at 13 percent.
  • Goats, starring David Duchovny and Vera Farmiga in a coming-of-age dramedy about a teenager attempting to understand his eccentric family members, is at 13 percent.

Comments

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Hope Springs looks promising. Bourne will be worth a rental. I'll skip the Campaign. Not a fan of Farrell or Galifianakis.

Aug 9 - 04:34 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

So for the first movie you mentioned, would you say you have a lot of... hope... for that movie?
nyuk nyuk

Aug 9 - 05:36 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Haha, indeed :) Not so much for the Campaign, though.

Aug 9 - 09:34 PM

Ryan Downs

Ryan Downs

Yeah, its not that great. Not terrible, I laugh really hard at any point

Aug 12 - 10:59 PM

Ryan Downs

Ryan Downs

sorry *didn't laugh really hard

Aug 12 - 10:59 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Ummm, Bourne Legacy is NOT A REBOOT!!!!! The first half of it takes place during Ultimatum, and Jason is repeatedly mentioned throughout. Honestly, doesn't RT pay attention to this shit?

It's an expansion. That said, everyone of note is of the opinion that it's shit, but that's beside the point.

Aug 9 - 04:49 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

hey the reviews aren't so bad. :/

Aug 9 - 05:02 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

YEAH!!! (its not even marketed as a reboot). I feel misled R-T!

Aug 9 - 05:06 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Most of the top critics seem to like it, it's roughly 60% with them too. The major complaint seems to be it's missing Matt Damon.

Aug 9 - 05:23 PM

Lesley W.

Lesley Wilmoth

Eh, whatever. Jeremy Renner is in it and I've seen the others. I am going to see it, regardless of what the critics say.

Aug 10 - 07:28 AM

DBrock

David E-Brock

fucking word police,jeez...they changed the lead and the main character in an already established series...reboot,expansion,who cares?

Aug 10 - 12:18 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Fundamentally different things. You may not know it, but journalism strives for accuracy, which is inescapably tied to credibility. Obvious mistakes like this damage both.

Aug 10 - 12:20 PM

Matt John

Matt John

Go

Aug 11 - 01:38 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

52% - What now bitchez? :)

Aug 10 - 12:21 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

LOL

Aug 10 - 07:23 PM

Nuschler

Helen O Kekai

The New Yorker Magazine which IS a quality magazine with Pulitzer Prize winning authors had an excellent article pointing out that anyone who comments using the following terms: "Ummm", "bitchez" or puts down what everyone else says in the form of absolutes has full-blown psychopathy.
And such people are put on watch lists...and end up as Jared Loughners or James Homes' type of sociopaths.

And Watcher you seem to fit the bill well!

Aug 10 - 01:14 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Wow, look at this, we have the world's best psychiatrist over here. Goddamn all those people throughout my life that told me it's so hard to become a shrink... years of studies at expensive universities and hundreds of written papers on the methodology of detecting certain patters in individuals, knowing how to deal with said patterns and carefully constructing an accurate model of a patient's psyche throughout hundreds of hours of extensive one-on-sessions - it was all bullshit!

It turns out all I needed to do was read a psychobabble piece in a magazine that was likely written by an out-of-touch, get-off-my-lawn-er who couldn't cope with the Internet environment, and I'd have been ready to make conclusive diagnoses based on incredibly, and excessively, flimsy circumstantial evidence. So, you must be right. I mean, it makes ALL the sense in the world to conclude that someone must have a serious psychological disorder because he/she put a "z" at the end of a word and belittled someone else (something, I might add, you yourself have just done. Not the "z" part, but the "belittling" part).

Or, there's always this slight possibility that you are a stupid fucking cretin that has absolutely no idea of what you're talking about. You've spewed forth the most such vile, viscous (not vicious, pay attention) bullshit I have ever seen from the keyboard since the last time I read what a tea-partier had to say on a political forum. The fact that you did this all while maintaining an air of superiority and condescension makes you look like nothing more than an opinionated orangutan. Let me tell you what I was doing by adding that "z-" I was being, wait for it, sarcastic! And the belittling part? THIS IS THE INTERNET, DUMBASS. Welcome to it.

Aug 11 - 01:48 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Not even to mention the fact that you clearly, and I mean clearly, aren't even smart enough to know that a psychopath, and a sociopath, are completely different, unrelated fucking things! Honestly, it's like you're a 12 year old child who happened to read one article without reading anything else, and then proceeded to label yourself an expert in that field. It's laughable.

A sociopath is someone who feels no, or very little, emotion. A psychopath is Norman Bates. Yes, the latter sometimes overlaps with the former, but it's incredibly rare. There are a lot of sociopaths in the world (I am not one of them), but only a very small fraction of them end up causing someone harm. More likely, a sociopath will probably be less inclined to do someone harm because they are controlled only by logic, they have no feelings to get in the way and cause irrational, dangerous behavior.

I really do have to congratulate you: I can't remember the last time someone made so many aggravating factual errors in so few a line which prompted such a long, arduous response from me. If you are a troll - you're a very successful one. But something tells me you're actually just that dumb.

Aug 11 - 01:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I think most internet commenters are a little bit sociopathic. Or perhaps there's something about free, semi-anonymous posting that attracts sociopaths? Anyway, I'm willing to bet it was the part about the "watch list" that set you off. I was going to say something, but I left it alone...

Aug 12 - 07:18 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Yeah, it was. I found it incredibly disrespectful not for myself, cos I can deal, but I felt like it made light of the Aurora shooting and other such horrible instances of senseless brutality. I wasn't gonna respond, but it was like gang-green, festering till I couldn't take it any more.

Aug 14 - 12:56 AM

Clayton Courtney

Clayton Courtney

what I want to know is why did the the word "expansion" come into play? It is a sequel. plain and simple.

Aug 10 - 05:11 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Because it happens in the same universe and parts of it simultaneously with The Bourne Ultimatum along with many of the same characters. They overlap...there's overlappage.

Aug 10 - 07:25 PM

Ryan Downs

Ryan Downs

Yeah, I fail to see how 53% Rotten qualifies as a solid sequel. Maybe for a Resident Evil movie, but for a series that varies between 81% and 93%? Thats a dissapointment. Probably has something to do with the fact that they turn a hard-edged assassin into Captain America. Or the fact that the Amnesia plot that made the other films so interesting is gone. Or the fact the film stars Jeremy Renner, despite being completely focused on Matt Damon. Or the fact that, as OP mentioned, half the film takes place in another movie. I mean they did that with SUpremacy and Ultimatum, but then they weren't awkwardly refilming scenes with the main character edited out.

Aug 12 - 11:09 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I've heard excellent things about MEET THE FOKKENS. When I was in the Navy, guys used to take newbies to a place called Whisper Alley in Okinawa as a practical joke. When I went through it, I was repulsed at the women, all in their 70s, with missing teeth living in shacks reeking of nicotine. When I decided to take 2 guys down there for their initiation, one decided to make a deal with one of the ladies, and the other went to the (caged) window and requested if he could jerk off while watching in the corner. On that note, I ran off. Now you know why Whisper Alley's slogan is Serving the Fleet Since World War II.

Aug 9 - 04:54 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

The RT rating for the Bourne Legacy is a disappointment (even though it made quite a rebound from earlier in the week when it was around 40%). I was going to see it but I think I will wait to see it on Red Box.

The Campaign seems less like a political satire and more like a crude comedy featuring Ferrell and Galifianakis act like idiots. Not necessarily a bad thing seeing it's mild but still fresh score, but still not my preference.

Hope Springs is nice in that it's rare film that is made explictely to appeal to older crowds. Strep is still an legendary actress who is good in all of her movies, and Jones is pretty good too, although the type of role he plays seems to always be of the grumpy or serious type, while Strep is much more diverse in the characters she portrays. I would not be surprised to see Hope Spring's be what the the Help was last year in being an unexpected long term hit from August. Although Bourne Legacy and especially Expendables 2 next week (which will do well no matter how bad the reviews get) will be obstacles.

Aug 9 - 04:58 PM

This comment has been removed.

Ben Agee

Ben Agee

his latent homosexual bible-bangin' twin brother... can't remember his name... but the first preview of this made me want to watch it, 'cause "between two ferns" and whatever that alter-persona was from make me want to watch the political comedy.

Aug 10 - 02:01 AM

Ben Agee

Ben Agee

"strep." haha. like she has white streeps down her throwt. anyway, meryl streep is a good actress. wish some of the perennials would engage in some diversity, or, specifically, not "safe" stuff. it's great to age gracefully, not to mention her accolades, but i would love to see her in something unexpected. maybe this one is supposed to be unexpected. haven't seen it. maybe the studios think they're turning their audience on our heads with her being in what looks like a comedy. i really don't care. the campaign movie looks good. maybe glenn close will make a cameo. also, what was zach's fictional twin brother's name? you know, the character who it looks like is a carbon copy of from the movie?

Aug 10 - 01:53 AM

Billy B.

Billy Barnett

Just because a film has a rotten score doesn't mean its bad and shouldn't prevent you from going to see what you want.

Aug 10 - 06:26 AM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

Gonna go with Bourne Legacy this week!I hope the rating goes to 65, 61 is dangerous haha.

Aug 9 - 05:01 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

It's now back down to 52% lol.

Aug 10 - 06:59 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

yeaa, sad but it's okay. I usually agree with the tomatometer, but some movies like die hard 3 have a 50 but I love them.

Aug 10 - 07:39 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

I'm going to wait for LEGACY on dvd, despite being a fan of the series. If the RT meter was around 75%, I would have been inclined to spend ten bucks, but I'm going to wait.

Aug 11 - 02:23 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

hey the reviews aren't so bad. :/

Aug 9 - 05:02 PM

Andrew Milito

Andrew Milito

Hoping that Bourne meets MY expectations. I'll go see it as soon as I finish the Damon trilogy.

Aug 9 - 05:06 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

YEAH!!! (its not even marketed as a reboot). I feel misled R-T!

Aug 9 - 05:06 PM

filmfanatic

Chris Stanton

Nothing good this week.

Aug 9 - 05:20 PM

Spencer Kain

Spencer Kain

Will be checking out Bourne tomorrow, The Campaign looks hilarious will see it sometime this week, Hope Springs will probably be good, going to see that as well. Good week at the movies IMO.

Aug 9 - 05:20 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 9 - 05:23 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

nyuk nyuk

Aug 9 - 05:36 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Haha, indeed :) Not so much for the Campaign, though.

Aug 9 - 09:34 PM

Ryan Downs

Ryan Downs

Yeah, its not that great. Not terrible, I laugh really hard at any point

Aug 12 - 10:59 PM

Ryan Downs

Ryan Downs

sorry *didn't laugh really hard

Aug 12 - 10:59 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

We have a world full of investors with millions of dollars...shall we end starvation in the world, cure cancer and aids, bring about world peace ??? Hey ,lets make another Bourne movie !! Yawn.....

Aug 9 - 06:47 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

Calm down, they wanted to expand the story. STORY, mind you. Not make a mindless action film.

Aug 9 - 06:51 PM

Manuel Granados Vargas

Manuel Granados Vargas

Yes because the Bourne movie's budget would have solved all those problems. Way to be a moron, go get neutered so you don't go around impregnating moron girls and together you spawn forth moron children.

Aug 10 - 03:50 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

From the moment The Bourne Legacy was announced, I knew it wouldn't be as good as the Matt Damon movies and it turns out it is based on that score. I plan to see it soon but I'd like to rewatch the predecessors beforehand.

Aug 9 - 06:50 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

Aug 9 - 06:51 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

I'd wish The Bourne Legacy was a prequel to the original Bourne Identity, but I have to rent it so I can't see it this week.

The Campaign looks kinda pretty funnier than Ted and Magic Mike, hope to see it this week.

Nitro Circus? What happened to Jackass, MTV?

Aug 9 - 08:12 PM

Raisa Rezwan

Raisa Rezwan

Just finished watching Bourne Ultimatum. Has always been my favorite of the series. Despite the ratings, I will see watch it tomorrow. Even though my taste somehow are like the critics, their have been some movies that I ended up disagreeing with them on. But I will enter the theater skeptical and with low expectations due to the reviews. If it does disappoint hopefully it just a way to set up if it happens Bourne 5 and somehow in someway it would be worth it.

Aug 9 - 08:34 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies