Box Office Guru Wrapup: Bourne and The Campaign Dethrone the Batman

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

First time in weeks we've had multiple decent movie's the root for. Hopefully Hollywood takes this Summer as a sign. Give us quality and we'll turn out. Give us crap and you can stick it.

Aug 12 - 05:06 PM

Erick Delgado

Erick Delgado

With the ticket prices today, people is being more careful before going to the movies...Finally they┬┤re learning to skip garbage movies =P

Aug 12 - 10:26 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Not true.

Aug 13 - 05:07 AM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Really? Why is that "not true"?

Sure, there's a turd that makes money occasionally. But this summer alone, I'd say the massive failures of That's My Boy, Rock of Ages, Battleship, The Watch, What to Expect When You're Expecting, LOL, Dark Shadows, The Dictator, Chernobyl Diaries, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Total Recall and Step Up 4 indicate that people are being more picky.

This summer's biggest hits were, for the most part, critically acclaimed.

Aug 13 - 07:18 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

This is true, but i have had my beef with some of the critically acclaimed movies that have made mucho de neiro this year. I'd list them, but it would all just be my opinion. Critics need to step it up on what they deem Fresh these days.

Aug 13 - 10:20 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Brad, I agree, it seems like audiences are being pretty picky this year.

In fact, when you look at this year's highest grossing films it's amazing how much critical reviews are similair to box office performance. The one film that made more than 600 mil (Avengers) is the only blockbuster to have achieved critical acclaim this year (over 90% positive reviews by critics), while the two 400 mil grossers (TDKR and Hunger Games) both have very positive reviews (around 85%) while all of the 200-250 mil (Ted, Brave, Amazing Spiderman, Madagascar 3) grossers have generally postive reviews (70-80%) with the one exception being The Lorax, which so far remains the only rotten film this year to gross more than 200 mil (though of course Breaking Dawn Part 2 will almost certainly be another). Compare that to last year when half of the top 10 highest grossers were rated rotten.

Meanwhile, nearly all of the major bombs this year have been recieved mixed to negative reviews. It'll be interesting to see what Hollywood is going to make of this.

Aug 13 - 03:45 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

I doubt much Simba. While it would be all of our wet dreams to see movie studios put the quality of the film first, they will most likely see this year as an anomaly. There is not enough history/evidence to correlate between box office revenue and critical acclaim.

Aug 14 - 08:24 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Right: HOLLYWOOD CAN STICK IT!//// (and all film-critics need [except Roger Ebert] to be SENT INTO CARTOON-LAND by Naughty Little Anthony in TWILIGHT ZONE-THE MOVIE) . . . in the original episode of "It's A Good Life," naughty little Anthony would send people into the cornfield.

Aug 13 - 01:44 PM

Lowell Renold

Lowell Renold

I really hope The Dark Knight Rises reaches the $1 billion mark. It deserves to. I think it's the best movie of the year. As for the new releases, I would love to see The Campaign and The Bourne Legacy. But Hope Springs? Well, as much as I love Tommy Lee Jones, it doesn't look like my kind of movie. So it might be a rental for me.

Aug 12 - 05:08 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

It'll need to make another $120-140 million overseas. I thought it would break $1 billion worldwide easily, but it's starting to decline steeply overseas. I hope it breaks a billion dollars as well. I don't care if it surpasses The Dark Knight, but TDKR deserves to be on the billion-dollar club.

Aug 12 - 06:06 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

It hasn't opened yet in China which will add some hefty dollar signs to it's worldwide total; hnece the reason I have not seen it yet. Although strangely, it's opening at the same time as The Amazing Spiderman.

Aug 13 - 05:47 AM

Todd G.

Todd Gemskie

Avengers was an all around better movie than TDKR and total gross will reflect that. Both are very good movies, but Avengers rule.

Aug 13 - 07:20 AM

Ferzan Uddin

Ferzan Uddin

@Todd

TDKR beats Avengers in everything but action and comedy, and action I personally think it ties with.

Aug 13 - 08:04 PM

Sean James

Sean James

I knew Bourne: Legacy would crumple Tdkr. Not to say batman is not a bad movie but it just did not have the excitement of the dark knight. Plus the third films usually dont perform as well as the first or second films.

Aug 12 - 05:11 PM

This comment has been removed.

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

TDKR is definitely the most anticipated film of the year, but it had LOTS of obstacles (the Aurora massacre, the Olympics, the near 3-hour runtime, the polarizing word-of-mouth with people's reactions ranging from "it's the best movie ever" to "it's good, but not great like TDK" and even "meh" to "it sucked", no "Heath Ledger" factor, the overly dark tone that certainly kept away some kids and their families, casual audiences unfamiliar with the trilogy have no desire to see the film, etc.) holding it back from being as big as it could be. Would've it been as big as The Avengers? It's debatable, but I highly doubt it, especially since TDKR had more competition to deal with as well not having the benefit of 3-D (and I-MAX 3-D) ticket subcharges. As for The Hobbit, I can't wait to see it. I wonder how Jackson will divide one book into three seperate, full-length films. No matter what, I'm watching it at least twice (once in 24 fps and once in 48 fps).

Aug 12 - 06:19 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

the word of mouth is very good. The cinemascore for this is an A. o.o Facts my friend

Aug 14 - 04:30 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

When movie's in their first week beat movie's in their fourth it's not really crumpling per say. It's more like eventually movie's run out of steam and get overtaken. It's happened to every movie ever made. Also, Bourne will make about a 6th of what TDKR's does in it's entire run if it's lucky, so who really "crumpled" who?

Aug 12 - 06:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

10K average is hardly crumpling anything, and Gitesh is being nice calling it "encouraging". Compare Ted - 16K, Amazing Spiderman - 15K, Prometheus - 14K, all in wide release. Although RT didn't put up numbers for DKR, it most certainly was higher.

Aug 12 - 07:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

exactly, Big Brother . . . in its FOURTH week, any movie will crumble (except STAR WARS at 20-WEEKS AT NUMBER ONE; ET-The Extra Terrestrial at 16-WEEKS AT #1; TITANIC, 15-Weeks at #1; BEVERLY HILLS COP at 14-WEEKS (tied-with TOOTSIE) at Number 1 at the Box Office//// . . . too bad with PIRACY and a HORRIBLE ECONOMY, I doubt that a film can break 8 Weeks at Number One.///Star Wars actually opened in only 43 theaters nationwide and ranked number two during its first 2-weeks of release.

Aug 13 - 01:36 PM

Zach Miller

Zach Miller

Um...Toy Story 3. Lord of the Rings 3. Bourne Ultimatum...that's about it.

Aug 12 - 08:06 PM

Bow Ties are Cool

The Holy Rainbow of Awesomness

How did it "crumple" it? It's in it's 4th weekend. Bourne isn't going to make anywhere near the amount of money TDKR is (domestic or international). Not to mention TDKR had the shootings.

Aug 13 - 05:33 AM

Sean James

Sean James

what i meant was bourne legacy made 40 million while tdkr made half of that. Its like how michael phelps wins by a 2 body race. I think that it is crumpling. Dont get me wrong though, tdkr is undeniably one of the biggest blockbusters of the year

Aug 13 - 12:15 PM

Samson Lee

Samson Lee

I hate to do this but your logic is still off. If you want to use a swimming analogy, it's like a swimmer from a decent swimming country beating Michael Phelps by 2 body lengths in a 400m race after Michael Phelps has already swam 1200m first while the other guy started fresh. That's not "crumpling", that's called one guy being tired already so the other guy had a huge advantage. If they both opened on the same weekend you all know who would have done the "crumpling".

Aug 13 - 10:02 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

3rd films often outgross first or second films. Bourne 3, LOTR 3, Spiderman 3, Toy Story 3, Trannys 3, Return of the Jedi, etc.

Aug 13 - 07:25 AM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Trannys 3 ha ha ha ha ha (good one). . . type THAT into Google! (ooohh you mean Transformers 3 -- )

Aug 13 - 11:28 AM

This comment has been removed.

Brian B.

Aug 12 - 06:19 PM

filmmaniac123

Aakash Kumar

Aug 14 - 04:30 PM

Michael Milton

Michael Milton

I can't believe that people would flock to the borne legacy when it doesn't even seem to pack the punch of the originals. jeremy renner wasn't entertaining in Mission impossible and he was so so in Avengers. It also surprises me because most of the people i have talked to online who have seen the new bornemovie were not impressed. some even told me they wished that they had waited for it to go to the dollar movie. Will Ferell hasnt made a great movie in a while, but shockingly just the mention of his name in a film draws numbers. The Borne Legacy wont be number 1 for long. I feel one of the main reasons The Dark knight Rises didn't make as much as it could is that Nolan should have broken his no real 3d policy for this one. when you are going to end a series like he just did pull out all the stops. The other reason which was very evident in the town I live in is that people who actually run comic book stores and had seen the movie already were denoucing the movie and telling others about the movie. I actually got an employee at a comic book scifi store that I frequent in trouble because of his blatant criticism of the movie and his shop was one of the main ones that initiallly was involved in promoting the movie and also set up a booth at movie theatres playing games and giving away prizes and specials to promote The Dark Knight Rises. Out of respect for the victims of the Colorado shootings i wll refrain from placing any of the blame on that incident. I agree that possibly it being the third movie also had to do with it not making as much. Avengers and Dark Knight Rises are both good quality superhero movies in their own right, they are two different kind of movies in tone though and how much they make shouldn't be the measure of the quality of either. i will own both when they come out on Dvd and i have seen both five times each at the movies. so in my book they are both great.

Aug 12 - 06:36 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

that's YOUR opinion, bro. JERMEY RENNER IS FREAKING AWESOME!!!! I agree with you about Will Ferrall (WILL FERRAL SUCKS!)///THE DARK KNIGHT IS FREAKING AWESOME (even if Heath Ledger wasn't in it, it would still be FREAKING AWESOME because The Dark Knight Rises has a FREAKING AWESOME SCREENPLAY although it sported too many bad guys and no definitive demise for THE JOKER.

Aug 13 - 01:40 PM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Home come our real names are being used in the comment sections. I'm worried about being stalked by anyone on this site, but still I don't like this change...

On to the box office weekend, Legacy and Campaign did pretty well, although Legacy will probably experience a significant drop because you have Expendables 2 coming next week which will also appeal to the 30 and over male crowd (I do expect the audience to be slightly older with all the old action stars and much more male skewing as similar to the first film it looks like an overload of testosterone which will turn off almost all women).

I thought Hope Springs would be similar to The Help, but audience is much more limited and has less positive feedback among audiences than that film. It'll probably make a decent chunk of change throughout the rest of August and most of September seeing as how middle aged women don't have the need to see a movie on its' opening weekend as RT has mentioned.

Aug 12 - 06:40 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Aug 12 - 06:59 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Aug 12 - 07:57 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Aug 13 - 01:36 PM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

i still havent seen batman but i liked spiderman and madagasgar 3 ice age sucked

Aug 12 - 07:46 PM

Amitkumar Shinde

Amitkumar Shinde

watch the batman - the dark knight rises but keep faith on nolan....end is very nice....

Aug 13 - 02:40 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Aug 12 - 07:57 PM

Zach Miller

Zach Miller

Um...Toy Story 3. Lord of the Rings 3. Bourne Ultimatum...that's about it.

Aug 12 - 08:06 PM

Zach Miller

Zach Miller

The Bourne Legacy may have stolen the box office crown from The Dark Knight Rises, but it certainly wasn't better. In fact, it was probably the worst movie I've seen this year.

Aug 12 - 08:06 PM

Christopher Kulik

Christopher Kulik

Worse than ACT OF VALOR? Pfft, I doubt it.

Aug 13 - 12:16 AM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

Act of Valor had the advantage of being a pure experiment at the basis. Bourne Legacy is barely a spinoff, which makes it less exciting or memorable in cinematic history...

Aug 14 - 02:03 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer