The 'Burbs (1989)
Average Rating: 5.2/10
Reviews Counted: 13
Fresh: 6 | Rotten: 7
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: N/A
Critic Reviews: 2
Fresh: 1 | Rotten: 1
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 59,560
Ward and June Cleaver have nothing on suburban couple Ray and Carol Peterson (Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher). Together with their perfect son, Ray and Carol are so clean that they squeak. Thus, when new neighbors Dr. Werner Klopek (Henry Gibson), Uncle Reuben (Brother Theodore), and Hans (Courtney Gains) begin evincing bizarre behavior, Ray is slightly put out. Carol thinks that Ray is getting all worked up over nothing. Ray and his fellow suburbanites endure all sorts of slapstick misadventures
Jan 1, 1989 Wide
May 4, 1999
MCA Universal Home Video
Watch It Now
Dr. Werner Klopek
Uncle Reuben Klopek
Ricky's Girl Friend
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Dante's excoriating view of homegrown isolationism is as profound and misunderstood as Spielberg's in 1941
Moderately amusing comedy with a nice twist.
Lots of in-jokes and a few agreeable moments.
A weird and misshapen farce, but there's something going on here beyond simple goofiness.
Audience Reviews for The 'Burbs
- Mark Rumsfield: Hey! Pinocchio! Where are you going?
- Art Weingartner: [chanting] I want to kill, everyone, Satan is good, Satan is our pal...
- Art Weingartner: Now they know that we know that they know that we know.
- Mark Rumsfield: Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing a moving van...
- Uncle Reuben Klopek: Thats strange, since it was parked outside ALL DAY!
- Mark Rumsfield: What have you got in the cellar, HER Klopek!
- Ray Peterson: I've never seen that. I've never seen anyone drive their garbage to the curb, then bang that hell out of it with a stick. I've never seen that.
Discuss The 'Burbs on our Movie forum!