So disappointing

I had such high hopes for this film. Joss Whedon is one of my all time favorite writers so I expected something much more intelligent and witty. Instead what I got was a pathetic attempt at making fun of horror movie stereotypes with a "twist ending" that wasn't all that much of a twist because they gave away too much from minute one.

The ONLY two likeable characters are the ones who make it to the end and even then they don't do too much to really endear them to you until the last 15 minutes of the film. When are more writers going to understand that a horror film is scarier when you actually *like* the characters?

Not once while watching this movie was I scared. I never once had my heart pound in aticipation of the moment. It's more like something you would expect to be on Saturday Night Live than a feature film. I was also really shocked to see Weaver in something so beneath her talent level.

Maybe I'm just horribly desensitised to gore but it really doesn't frighten me unless there's some kind of mental aspect to the scene. The only movie I've ever watched that (As an adult) truely scared me was "The Grudge". Never underestimate the power of jumping out from behind a bush and saying "boo", people. It's often more the unknown that scares people, rather than constant on screen slash and gut.

The "twist ending" was certainly original. I will give it that, but while it was a good concept, it was badly executed. And come ON; an organization trying to save the world by sacrifices of this kind would not act like they were running the Super Bowl. Everyone in those offices was an asshole. Seriously? Gimme a break.

And really, did we NEED the F-bomb that often? If you need to put "fuck" in every fourth sentence you are seriously lacking something as a writer.

I gave this 2 stars because the reason for the killings was at least original but for something by Joss Whedon it fell flatter than an anorexic piece of paper.
Wendy Mihail
12-28-2012 03:25 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Robert S.

Robert Stuart

I didn't notice that many F bombs. The office workers were like how most office workers in that situation would be. I found all the five characters likeable enough.

Jun 22 - 11:43 PM

John Tyler

J *

Fuck this, I'm out of here.

Apr 14 - 08:28 AM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

Bye!

Apr 14 - 10:55 AM

John Tyler

J *

FUCK YOU

Apr 14 - 12:26 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

OH I THOUGHT YOU WERE LEAVING! GUESS YOU'RE SO LONELY YOU HAD TO REPLY BACK....

Apr 15 - 10:06 AM

John Tyler

J *

Asswipe.

Apr 15 - 02:42 PM

David Lo Pan

EntertainMeOrDie .

OH LOOK WHO'S STILL BACK...AND STILL HAS SHITTY COMEBACKS BECAUSE HE CAN'T THINK OF SOMETHING SMART TO SAY. DID YOU MISS ME? I GUESS SO. THAT'S WHY YOU REPLIED TO ME.

Apr 15 - 07:59 PM

Bill Suavé

Bill Suavé

But it's "an astonishing meta-feat, capable of being funny, strange, and scary -- frequently all at the same time" - at least, according it Rotten Tomatoes! Shows how much they know!

Anyway if you have never been scared by a horror movie then you have obviously never seen "Black Christmas". I mean, come on - that is genuinely creepy. If you say that is not scary then I'm sorry, I think you are lying.

Dec 28 - 03:39 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile