RT on DVD & Blu-Ray: The Campaign and Alfred Hitchcock

Summary

This week on home video, our biggest movie is also the lowest-rated one on the list. This isn't to say it isn't any good (it still earned a 66% on the Tomatometer), but the smaller releases and the Blu-ray reissues are much stronger. Click through to see the full list! Back to Article

Comments

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Rosemary's Baby, now that's the kind of movie I'll be watching this Halloween.

I better see that punching baby movie, The Campaign is very funny.

Oct 29 - 07:17 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

All of them look rentable except Ruby Sparks...
THAT one I might buy.

Oct 29 - 07:36 PM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Safety Not Guaranteed is worth owning as well, one of the best of the year easily.

Oct 31 - 11:47 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Safety Not Guaranteed and Ruby Sparks. Two of my favorite films this year. So far.
The Campaign was funny as heck, too. *SS ANd T*TT**S, *SS AND T*TT**S!

Oct 29 - 11:44 PM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

The Campaign was terrible. Anyone looking for laughs will be disappointed.

Oct 30 - 10:06 AM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Zack and Will seem to not know how to make a good comic film anymore.... And you can throw Ben Stiller and Adam Sandler onto that list too....Take the money and run seems to be everyone's credo nowadays.......

Oct 30 - 04:15 PM

Total  S.

Total Stranger

I agree, they're all taking dumps, though I feel Sandler is in a separate bucket than the rest. Sandler, at least, is still apparently trying to make us 'Laugh Out Loud', though failing in a repeating, cataclysmic fashion. The rest have given up on such an angle. Instead it seems the new direction is a 'so fucking dry its almost completely unwatchable but if you don't think its funny, its because the humor is too smart for you and you must be an idiot so don't speak out against it.'

Well, guess what? I'm an idiot. Greenberg and Visioneers were fecal piles. I'd rather watch a slideshow of bowel movement stills than those films again.

Turds...There. That's four, maybe even five bathroom references in the same post, if you include the bucket Sandler is in.

Oct 31 - 07:16 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

This post proves humanity has a chance. Dramatic, i know.

Oct 31 - 08:03 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Movies like that prove critics can be wrong.

Oct 30 - 10:06 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Rosemary's Baby"! This is really happening! The extras sound tasty.

I might have a different idea of "masterpiece" than some folks, but, c'mon, "Topaz"? "Torn Curtain"? Over "Notorious", "Suspicion", "Foreign Corrospondant", "Spellbound", "Wrong Man", "I Confess", "Strangers on a Train"? Hitch is obviously an embarrassment of riches, but for 2-fiddy, I should be able to select my faves for a set this size. Plus, there are no new extras. Pass.

I'll have to see "Elena" and "Safety Not Guaranteed", but "Ruby Sparks" seems grating to me. That plot device is more worn out than Kelly Le Brock's T-shirt, ala "Weird Science" meets "Lars and the Real Girl". Paul Dano is a decent actor, but he's turning into the Jeremy Davies of the decade.

"Campaign" wasn't bad, worth a rental or cable watch. I think it's Ferrell's funniest since "Anchorman", and much better than either "Hangover" movie. And whether anyone cares or not, what the film says about money + politics is right on the nose.

Oct 30 - 12:25 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah I kind of think I'm gonna go with buying the Blu-Rays of the Hitchcock movies I love and keeping them collected in a box of my own making. Arts and Crafts anybody? I'm new to Hitchcock thanks to Netflix. Loved Dial M for Murder and Rebecca was amazing. Saw The Birds and Psycho of course. Looking forward to seeing Strangers on a Train.

I hate the premise of Ruby Sparks but I love the cast so I do look forward to seeing it. I just hope the protagonist isn't strumming a guitar on a bus at the end like most indie films.

Rosemary's Baby might be a bit to frightening for me to own with little ones running around. I'll admit it that movie still gives me the flipp'n creeps.

Oct 30 - 03:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Loved Dial M for Murder and Rebecca was amazing."

Ah, two more that are NOT in the box. I know much of this comes down to who owns the rights to which movie and such. But if we're talking 'masterpiece', then keep it affordable with a collection of the half dozen true classics (which would have to be Rear Window, North By Northwest, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds and either Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, or Dial M for Murder) rather than padding it out with some films that aren't really as good. "Topaz" is almost certainly Hitchcock's worst film since the silent era.

Oct 30 - 04:01 PM

Ezra Hsieh

Ezra Hsieh

Because most these films aren't released by Universal, Universal don't have the right.

Oct 31 - 05:35 PM

Dave J

Dave J

"Safety Not Guaranteed", "Ruby Sparks" and "Elena" look like something I'd watch, and seen everything else except "The Campaign" which I can probably wait!

Oct 30 - 12:46 PM

Jérémy Dion

Jérémy Dion

Safety not Guaranteed was a nice movie. Plus I needed my dose of Aubrey Plaza's deadpan humor. I also liked Ruby Sparks (especially towards the end). I really have to check out Elena, I've been hearing about it on the web for a while now. I think I'll pass on The Campaign.

Oct 30 - 12:59 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Safety Not Guaranteed and Ruby Spark's for me. Get your indie Hipster freak on. Kind of curious about Ruby Sparks, it was praised as a years best at early on than later "meh" was the majority of critics feelings about it.

I really would like Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection but that is an awful lot of moola. What to do.

Oct 30 - 03:41 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 30 - 03:46 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Loved Dial M for Murder and Rebecca was amazing."

Oct 30 - 04:01 PM

Ezra Hsieh

Ezra Hsieh

Oct 31 - 05:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Loved Dial M for Murder and Rebecca was amazing."

Oct 30 - 04:01 PM

Ezra Hsieh

Ezra Hsieh

Oct 31 - 05:35 PM

ap sirius

karl anderson

Oct 30 - 04:15 PM

Total  S.

Total Stranger

Oct 31 - 07:16 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

This post proves humanity has a chance. Dramatic, i know.

Oct 31 - 08:03 AM

Total  S.

Total Stranger

Oct 31 - 07:16 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

This post proves humanity has a chance. Dramatic, i know.

Oct 31 - 08:03 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office