• Unrated, 1 hr. 34 min.
  • On DVD:    Mar 26, 2013
  • Tribeca Film

The Comedy Reviews

Greg D October 4, 2014
Buried behind the filth is some really intelligent meandering conversations that carry a lot of weight.
Greg L November 9, 2012
This movie makes a lot of great points but is bogged down by its incoherent plot.
Jesse K ½ August 14, 2014
A portrait of a loser. It's ugly, intriguing and maybe even heartbreaking.
Lowerscore Lowerscore April 13, 2013
if you like tim heidecker in tim and eric you probably won't like this ,ovie but I'm not saying you won't because i love tim and eric and i coudnt find much wrong with this movie it is just out of the tim and eric vibe because it seems really artsy and tim and his friends in the movie seem hipster so i wouldn't recommend it but i wouldn't "not"
take it like this if you wanna see tim heidecker in something else this is tim heidecker in something else
Jess S July 5, 2014
They really had a chance to tell an amazing story but they chose not to. and I'm a huge Tim Heidecker fan. Can't imagine how bad it must have been for a non-fan.
Douglas L ½ July 3, 2014
Sigh...this film is merely a character study of a man with nothing to do in life. While he gallivants around New York detached from real life we just sit and observe how tedious and boring the little moments in life can be. This film fills in those moments with our lead Swanson (Tim Heidecker) doing very peculiar things which may seem to be funny to some but completely ridiculous and stupid to most. The title The Comedy is ironic because while the film itself contains moments that might make you laugh, it really is pointing, (if anything, if this film can be considered this deep) to the unfortunate cover up or excuse for our degrading POV of our lives and our rising detachment from one another. It calls itself The Comedy as a way of masking the true reality of this, just as one might make jokes to lighten the blow of something horrifically depressing.
Mike C June 29, 2014
I guess these guys have worked together and I've seen their titles on shelves but never rented. The trailer to this was pretty fascinating so I gave it a spin.

Basically, Heidecker perfectly plays what we might call a hipster. His father is dying and leaving him behind a lot of money, so he can afford to just...exist. And he has the beard, unbuttoned colored shirt, crazy glasses, and says ridiculous shit. But he does it well in the movie. A horrific scene involves a young lady in the early stages of undress having a seizure in front of him...he just watches. As some imdb posters have said though, this is how this character is defined. Kinda brilliant.

Other than that, I wanted to give it a low rating because it's a completely pointless movie. Almost. But that's the point. So many in this generation live kind of pointless lives. And that's what this movie captures...kinda that hipster mindset where nothing really matters. And they did capture that pretty well.
Harrison R ½ February 26, 2014
gave up after 40 min or so.
Eric B ½ October 31, 2012
Might be one of the best films to fully define the term "hipster".
A sharp critique of entitlement, but possibly " too soon".
Hayden G ½ March 5, 2014
The message seems to be: living through sarcasm, irony, ans insincerity is an empty and vacuous existence. Or, hipsters are useless, purposeless assholes. This is an interesting concept but makes for joyless and mostly unrewarding viewing.
Sami V February 24, 2014
I absolutely loved this film. If you're into Tim and Eric's work, you would understand that the entire thing is a parody. It's a parody of the numerous subpar, trying-to-be-meaninful, redundant underground music soundtrack meets strange camera angles and no-name actor "independent films" that try to be something now-a-days. It's a joke: as the title suggests and perfectly aligns with the Tim and Eric sensibility, that parodies and highlights the foolishness in all mainstream and modern television and film today (just watch one episode of 'Great Job!' and you'll know what I'm talking about). Tim and Eric has an off-kilter sense of humor that is not well received by a lot of people: I happen to be one of the people that love their sense of humor: its cringe comedy. Anyone who thinks this film was meant to be powerful and moving is looking way too much into it. And the scene where they discuss the cleanliness of the homeless's genitalia? Hilarious.
Jordon J ½ February 22, 2014
A mean-spirited piece of mumblecore that tries to provoke you, but only succeeds in boring you. I say SKIP IT!!!
Levi T ½ February 13, 2014
An alienating, ugly little indie film, The Comedy takes place in a world where wealthy, hard-partying bachelors are anything but glamorous, and though the film, like them, occasionally stumbles into new territory, it never finds much meaning in it.
bill s. bill s. January 26, 2014
Andy Kaufman would've been proud.....I get the point but I just don't care.
Billy T Billy T ½ January 13, 2014
A Uniquely Funny Film that pokes shit at wealthy hipster maggots for 94 minutes. The film is Thoroughly Different but also Thoroughly Enjoyable.
Jered H January 6, 2014
I can see why this film gets the reaction it does; everything about it is designed to make you feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, I think it serves this film well. That's because, at the core, this movie is a dissection of the hipster mindset. It depicts the results of a life philosophy that puts itself above hard work or meaningful contribution to society.
Matt  F. Matt F. October 20, 2013
I lasted about 10 minutes waiting for the fun to start. Thank goodness I didn't waste my time watching the rest of this.
Paul D ½ October 17, 2013
The things that pass for character studies these days. I don't really get what they were going for with the title, some sort of hipster irony because the movie is devoid of any laughs whatsoever, or just going for a cute straightforward thing because they actually thought it was funny, but either way the movie is not good. Sometimes when I watch a movie I find myself thinking, "did they actually have a complete screenplay when they went into production? Was this an idea ANY of them were actually passionate about, or were they just anxious to make a movie and jumped on the first idea they had?" This was one of those times.
Randy L September 14, 2013
like Old Joy, but with more scatalogical references. nobody seems to like this movie at all, but I say its worth a watch.
Laurence R August 30, 2013
Profound but overlong art film about hipsters. The message of the comedy is easy to see after 10 minutes and does little more than repeat itself for the rest of it's runtime. But that message is an important one about the nature of comedy, examining humor to the point that it disturbs and haunts the viewer especially if they can identify with it.