I'm immensely confused. *SPOILER ALERT*

This movie is Wan's worst film, in my opinion. I'm not saying that it's a bad flick but I've seen better from him. This is nothing even remotely new and I'm tired of seeing the same thing over and over and over and over and over....

To those who have seen it, you may agree that every element of this film is a combination of Dead Silence (the doll), Insidious (uh...everything), Amityville (demonic possession), and Emily Rose (the exorcism finale in the cellar). What I'm confused about is how this movie finished at 85% when Sinister finished at 64%. I felt that Sinister, although unoriginal as well, is the better film. It's better acted, it's more original, and it's a hell of a lot scarier than The Conjuring. I don't mean to sound like a typical butthurt user and I've never created a thread like this before, but can someone help me out here?
Face Nyland
07-19-2013 08:17 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

I suggest you forget both of these movies and go watch The Entity and The Changeling. And if you've never seen it I recommend a Spanish movie called The Orphanage.

Oct 28 - 11:42 PM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

I felt Sinister was just to clichéd and predictable to be entertaining. But I've been watching horror movies for over 30 years so I'm starting to get that "seen it all feeling". This was better than Sinister but I was really let down by the ending. I felt the movie strayed from the serious tone it had and gave us a schlocky ending. Where Sinister's ending was clichéd in the sense that it was like The Entity or the Ring..it was just to easy to be true. The ending for The conjuring was too easy. It should have been a lot more climatic. The movie itself wasn't scary, but it had tension and up until the ending and some easy outs in the writing department(sorry the whole witch professing her love for Satan thing seemed a little cheesy) it was a good story.

Oct 28 - 11:36 PM

Lendl Tahau

Lendl Tahau

I was unimpressed by Sinister until the ending and that for me warrants it's 64%. Ethan Hawke was dependably great and there were moments that give me a cheap scare every now and then but it did not have me all too interested.
The Conjuring on the other hand was a breath of fresh, unoriginal air. The whole cast performed excellently, the cinematography was superb and for all it's cliche references the scares were still compelling.

No contest here for me.

Sep 20 - 05:04 AM

Brandon Baugh

Brandon Baugh

All of you people are horrible this movie had class, character, brilliant visually, brilliant music, amazing acting, clever directing. The ABSOLUTE BEST of it's kind. Ya'll are gross.

Sep 16 - 01:15 AM

Paul Counelis

Paul Counelis

Sinister was unsatisfying for me, though I enjoyed the build-up. The third act was just awful. The Conjuring is just a much better film in terms of developing characters and letting the tension ratchet up. If you went in expecting Insidious, you were likely disappointed. I enjoyed the story of Ed and Lorraine, the interaction with the children (and their fantastic acting), the throwback look and feel of the film, the practical effects, the overall mood and I LIKE the fact that we weren't given the usual nihilistic ending. Yes, it's become typical nowadays...people seem to think the movie wasn't serious if everyone doesn't inevitably die at the end. BAH, I'm over it.

Aug 8 - 12:30 AM

Charles Austin Miller

Charles Austin Miller

Frankly, I didn't care for the characters, which was a shame because the cast was golden and we've seen them do better. I felt like I was watching a student compilation film of shock effects, except I wasn't shocked. Not even once. As has been abundantly observed here, The Conjuring is a jumble of formula bits that don't particularly make you nervous, much less terrify you. Really puzzled with the high rating.

Aug 3 - 02:29 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

What shock effects are you talking about? Or do you mean jump scares? There's a big difference.

Aug 3 - 07:21 AM

Dale Shearer

Dale Shearer

I paid good money to see The Conjuring last night. I'd heard great things, and went in fully expecting to have the crap scared out of me. What I got was cliché jump scares and bad dialogue. I can't believe this movie has 86% when I was bored for 95% of it's run time.

It's 2-3 moments of brilliance are fleeting, the rest is insufferable crap. The movie's components are so played out that on numerous occasions I knew exactly what'd happen, or what someone would say.
The two biggest things that pissed me off, however, were the convoluted blink-and-you'll-miss-it exposition dump scene - which, if you managed to understand it, was the only glimpse into WTF was actually going on throughout the entire film - and that awful happy-doo-da ending that made me want to intentionally choke on my popcorn. Expelling a demonic force with the power of love ? NOOOOOO you did not, James Wan !

I wasn't surprised there were people talking all throughout the cinema. I was constantly checking the time. I don't know, I might be desensitised or something, but The Conjuring is the worst horror movie I've seen in months.

Aug 2 - 04:13 AM

Kristin Ross

Kristin Ross

I completely agree. I downloaded this movie expecting to be scared out of my mind, but instead got a whole bunch of cheap, half-ass jump scares. seemed like it was a rip off of "The Amityville Horror" (demonic shit happening in an old house), "Paranormal activity" (people setting up so-called live action cameras to capture the said demonic activity, then getting thrown around the house like ragdolls), "The Exorcist" (that scene in the older girls room where a possessed little girl jumped down from a dresser had striking similarities to Reagan, and don't get me started on the whole "we need a professional exorcist blah blah blah"), and "The Blair Witch Project" (supposedly the back story in this movie takes place during the Salem Witch Trials/Hunts/Hangings and the evil spirit of the witch who killed herself on the tree in front of the house [yawn..] took over the house and subsequently one of the charactors in the movie [in The Blair Witch Project, the witch supposedly haunted the entire Blair forests.] Also, that name they used, Mary Townsend-Smith or whatever, sounded very similar [though after watching this movie it wouldn't surprise me] to a name used in a different movie in the same genre.)All in all, a shitty movie and poorly executed at that. The only thing I enjoyed about it, was erasing it from my computer.

Aug 22 - 08:23 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I'm in love...

Aug 23 - 01:47 PM

Keong Yeo

Keong Yeo

sinister fails from a horrible 3rd act and was extremely predictable from the beginning. Furthermore, having the joker as the bazgool did not help one bit

Jul 31 - 06:27 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Sinister definitely was predictable which is why I mentioned that it's unoriginal. The Joker? Are you saying that the demon reminded you of The Joker? If that's what you just said, then that's pretty asinine, man.

Aug 1 - 10:47 AM

Kody Merrival

Kody Merrival

I agree 100% with you Chase. I even said the similar things during the movie.

Jul 30 - 11:29 PM

Erik Block

Erik Block

Honestly, I totally agree. I was mostly bored and unimpressed with 'The Conjuring.' I kept checking my phone to see how much longer until it was done. Struck me as pretty boring, formulaic, and been-there-done-that, and the last 20 minutes or so had points where it was schlocky and overdone to the point of almost being funny.

Jul 28 - 06:35 PM

Justin Gray

Justin Gray

Couldn't agree more. Sinister was really great. This 85% business is too high.

Jul 28 - 07:12 AM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

Wrong...Sinister was filled with every horror movie writing cliché there is.

Oct 28 - 11:38 PM

Big Daddy101

Do you think this is a motherfucking game?

In my opinion, Sinister was all about dread, and not a lot of horror mixed. Sinister was a dreadful film. The cinematography, acting, scares were all filled with immense dread that the Conjuring was missing. It had some haunting images and some pretty good jumps, but the Conjuring lacked the depressing tone.

Jul 26 - 04:20 PM

Shambockadee

Ted Farabee

Different movies scare different people differently. For some reason Sinister was frightening, however, the "Rite" really messed with me. The Rite woke me up in the middle of the night. Sinister did not. Inexplicable.

Jul 25 - 09:31 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

The Rite scared you? That's a new one lol.

Jul 26 - 05:45 AM

Cynthia Ortiz

Cynthia Ortiz

At the beginning of the movie there were a bunch of rowdy teens making silly remarks; that didn't last long... they all got really quiet. Everyone clapped at the end. Haven't heard that in a long time.

Jul 24 - 09:48 PM

This comment has been removed.

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

Saw is a piece of shit.

Jul 25 - 02:59 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

wow you are complaining about me liking the conjuring when you liked a piece of shit like saw. Really?! Your credibility just went out the window.

Aug 18 - 10:41 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

You have a bit of drool on your chin, Brendan. *hands you a napkin*

Aug 19 - 05:00 AM

Adrienne Lutz

Adrienne Lutz

Insidious** no "The". My bad

Jul 24 - 03:17 PM

Adrienne Lutz

Adrienne Lutz

The Insidious was more interesting and creepy than it was "scary".'Sinister was a step up, scary AND interesting. The Conjuring was the first movie that truly scared the crap out of me, and it was overall well-acted as well. There's only so much that can happen in horror movies at this point, and I believe The Conjuring was able to keep the classic jump scenes extremely frightening.

Jul 24 - 03:17 PM

Eric Gagnard

Eric Gagnard

I liked Insidious until they said a word about astral. Astral and horror do not mix. At all.

Aug 1 - 05:12 AM

Ryan Moran

Ryan Moran

Insidious was horrid in my opinion and dreadfully boring while the conjuring as very good and well acted. But we all have different opinions i suppose. And the acting in Insidious was not good at all...

Jul 24 - 02:16 PM

Eric Gagnard

Eric Gagnard

Conjuring=Ammiyville and Exorcist love child.

Aug 1 - 05:13 AM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

Oh yeah, didn't roll my eyes as much as "Haunting in Connecticut". My eyes were doing back handsprings during the second half of that.

Jul 23 - 08:09 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

I thought it was okay. I rolled my eyes at a few things but it was satisfying. I don't think the ghoul ruined the movie. I thought the ending was refreshing as horror movies go.
I think there's a limited stock of effective plot devices you can put in these ghost stories. If you use the classic cliches skillfully, it can work. Or you can get innovative and make FeardotCom.
The doll Annabelle is something the Warrens actually have, but it's just a Raggedy Anne. Probably have to pay Disney blood to license that image, so they made another freakish James Wan doll.

For people who like the haunted house/possession stuff, I think this should be alright. There was one part where I felt pretty tense, but I forgot what it was 8P Maybe when the maid appeared? Not sure.

Jul 23 - 07:52 PM

crystalwhiteeyes

Tommy Savor

I respect your opinion Chase, but for me I disagree. I found the movie to be really good from top to bottom. I enjoyed the way it felt almost like a salute to the older generation horror films. In terms of originality, I wouldn't grade it that high because yes, we have seen a lot of this stuff before but I would say that most of the material stolen were from some of the classic horror films so not a bad move entirely. I really enjoyed it because it didn't hang its hat on blood and gore like most horror films, but for suddle, creepy scenes executed perfectly. I enjoyed the film quite a bit.

Jul 23 - 06:35 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Thank you for respecting my opinion. I respect yours as well. Believe me, Tommy, I understand why you feel the way you do. Call me a movie snob, but I guess I just want more out of horror films. I had an epiphany leaving the theater that night and I didn't quite know how to handle it lol. I respect and have a special place in my heart for James Wan. I just would love to see him expand his horizons and prove that he isn't a one trick pony.

Jul 23 - 07:13 PM

Thabani Tshuma

Thabani Tshuma

Thank you Tommy. Today horrors are full of blood and gore but The conjuring was like watching an old school movie.I have to say though the ending did not do for me but in the end, good movie.

Nov 4 - 05:39 AM

vartevars

Vartevar Sarkissian

Are you an atheist?

Jul 23 - 05:02 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Yes, but what difference does that make?

Jul 23 - 05:23 PM

Chelsea Adams

Chelsea Adams

Because Christians, let alone Christian horror fans, came out of this movie scared from a religious perspective.

Jul 25 - 01:46 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Oh, I see.

Jul 25 - 04:18 PM

Paul Counelis

Paul Counelis

I've never understood why that matters, though I get the point. I've heard the argument about The Exorcist a bunch of times...and I always think, "So...you believe in Freddy Krueger and the Wolf Man?"

Aug 8 - 12:31 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I'm not sure what Freddy and the Wolf Man have to do with what we're talking about.

Aug 8 - 09:16 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

I'm pretty sure what she said just went right over your head

Aug 18 - 10:42 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Damn, dude. You're still posting? I would have thought mommy would have fastened your helmet and bib and taken you out for a walk by now.

Aug 19 - 04:59 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler

I don't even have to point out that I disagree because you know how many stars I gave The Conjuring out of five.

Jul 23 - 05:10 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

I disagree when you say it's Wan's worst film. I fucking hated Saw.

Jul 22 - 11:12 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Except this one.

Jul 23 - 01:55 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Braden, this is my opinion, so just shut up and deal with it.

Jul 23 - 12:52 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

PISSSSS!!! COMING FROM MY ASSSSS!!! ASS PISS!!!

PISSSSSSSSSSS!!!

Jul 23 - 05:23 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

In this universe, The Conjuring is better than Saw.

Jul 23 - 05:47 PM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

That's because Saw isn't a movie. It's pointless gore with vomit inducing dialogue and story structure.

Jul 23 - 06:47 PM

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

Saw is the worst theatrically released horror franchise in history.

Jul 23 - 07:23 PM

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

Classics don't get a 48% approval rating from critics, sir.

Jul 23 - 08:54 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Cause they are usually right.

Jul 23 - 10:41 PM

Norman  R.

Norman Radcliffe

I don't care if you personally believe it's a classic. But most other people don't.

Jul 24 - 04:22 PM

Mitch Banks

Mitch Banks

C'mon bros. Both movies were turds. Favorite like from Saw: "MY FAMILY! MY FAMILY!" as Robin Hood tries to over act his way out of a paper bag.
Favorite line from The Conjuring: "The girls said she smelled like rotten meat!"

Aug 1 - 09:44 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I was probably too harsh when I said that this is his worst film considering that I hated Death Sentence.

Jul 23 - 04:18 AM

John Tyler

John Tyler

Personally, I liked Death Sentence. Wan did a great job directing, Kevin Bacon was fantastic, the script was well-written, and the action/violence was well-shot.

Jul 23 - 05:13 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Man Chase, the movie was tight shit. I respect your opinion though

Jul 22 - 11:00 PM

Cameron Thompson

Cameron Thompson

Based on some of your responses to comments, I'm starting to think you were more disappointed by the movie than truly not liking it. It had some really great scares in it, ones that had my entire theater (and me) shrieking in our seats. I agree that the plot wasn't anything I hadn't seen before, but I enjoyed the movie as a whole. The reason why it's so popular is because it ISN'T extremely original but it's enjoyable none-the-less. I absolutely adored Insidious for the new take on the haunted house and the BIG twists, and it was the same for Sinister in being original and creating it's own pagan monster to use. The sad truth is that many people that go to the movies aren't movie aficionados, and when they hear a horror movie is popular and scary, they go see it, tell their other non-aficionado friends, and so on. Many sheeple movie-goers aren't as interested in being original with story as we are. The bottom line is that the conjuring scared the crap out of me, and others too, and that's really all most people want out of a horror movie.

Jul 22 - 12:56 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this, Cameron. You definitely seem to understand my stance on this film. You're right that I was more disappointed by the film than truly disliking it. I also got a chuckle out of your "sheeple movie-goer" comment lol. Your response was pretty insightful and I admit that I also let out a very audible "Jesus Christ!" in two of the scenes haha.

Jul 22 - 01:16 PM

Paul Counelis

Paul Counelis

I would also put forth the opinion here that a truly "original" horror film is going to be a pretty rare achievement...most horror stories passed down through the ages are different takes on folklore; as John Carpenter has pointed out (ad infinitum), there are really only two or three scary stories. Now, it becomes whether or not a director can pull one of those stories together, and how effective they can make it. Sitting around a campfire, you can hear a story you've heard a hundred times and someone can make it scary.

Aug 8 - 12:37 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I would have laughed too lol.

Jul 22 - 07:30 PM

John Hazard

John Hazard

most people are not aficionado's, you're right. most just want to be entertained.

Jul 23 - 09:36 PM

Megan Abenante

Megan Abenante

You're being too critical.

Jul 21 - 09:38 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Nope. It's a critic's job to write stuff. Whether it be critical or not is irrelevant. They're paid to make "humorous" statements about movies.

"Bond has once again misfired."
"Too often this martini is sloppy, not smooth."
"It would be unfair, and inaccurate, to call Rango a one-joke movie. There may be two or three; I didn't count."
"You've seen it before, you'll see it again."
"

[Wan's] entire film is possessed - by other films."

This is what critics are paid to do. This is their job. Not come up with anything critical or intelligent. To make puns, say stupid things, and hope to give the reader a little laugh.

Jul 23 - 06:21 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

They're encouraged to make puns because it makes the review entertaining. You can't be that stupid.

Jul 23 - 08:14 PM

Andrew StClair

Andrew StClair

Which is exactly what I just said. They are paid to make entertaining remarks. They're not paid to be insightful or intelligent critiques about movies. If they're not entertaining, nobody cares. These people are paid to make a joke out of why they like or don't like something.

Jul 23 - 08:29 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

That is not what you said, Andrew. How dense are you? I said that critics are ENCOURAGED to make puns to make a review entertaining. They are also paid to critique a film. You said that critics are not paid to give insight and are only paid to make jokes. You may be the dumbest user on this site.

Jul 24 - 08:07 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Thanks for the tip. Would you care to elaborate or are you just going to tell me I'm wrong with a trite sentence that doesn't explain why you feel that way?

Jul 22 - 06:45 AM

Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix

The only thing I can say to that is how many different ways can one cover demonic possession, haunting, and random objects animating? It's like saying you didn't like 42 because it was another baseball movie.

I enjoyed seeing The Conjuring with my family and was refreshed by the fact that they were able to tell a decent story without resorting to sex and profanity as being the main driver between gore and fright scenes. I'm not a prude but it does get tiring when "horror" movies have to resort those things that have nothing to do with horror just to gain some bonus points.

I have lost hope in finding a movie that really scares me. I don't think it's the industry's fault, I've probably just grown out of being scared of supernatural scenarios. I mean there were some good fright scenes but none that stuck with me days after seeing the movie like when I was a teen. The same goes for the other movies you mentioned.

I guess it's like people who love to ride roller coasters but don't get scared on them compared to the average person.

Jul 21 - 11:27 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

This post was very thought provoking. I just don't know. Dead Silence got a 21% rating. Insidious got a 66% rating. The Amityville Horror ('79) got a 29% rating. The Exorcism of Emily Rose got a 44% rating. How is it that The Conjuring receives an 85% rating when it's nothing but a combination of all of those films? It's the same movie. It even has Patrick Wilson who worked with Wan in Insidious. I don't know if I'm being too critical or not. I was legitimately frightened a couple times during this film but I guess just wanted more out of it.

Jul 21 - 11:58 AM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I thought it was more like this movie was what all those other movies were building to but not reaching. Kind of like how Cannibal Holocaust was the logical end result of other cannibal movies.

Jul 23 - 01:40 PM

John Hazard

John Hazard

Because, when all the hauntings started, the family moved the entire group into the living room to sleep. That has got to be the most real thing i've seen in a horror movie.

Jul 23 - 09:41 PM

Chaka

Crystal Haka

I totally agree Dark Phoenix. There are only so many tales of horror to tell, and most of them have been beat to death. I think the freshest take I have seen on the horror genre in a while was Tucker and Dale vs. Evil, and they had to resort to making fun of the whole genre to get that to work!

This story, while predictable in content, was very well presented. It scared at the right times and was appropriately suspenseful...and I have to say that when the sheet blew off to cover the invisible figure, then the figure flew up into the window...that was definitely a pretty horrifying moment. It's hard to get those kinds of scares in a broad daylight scene, and you just weren't expecting it!

Was it predictable? Yes. Was it well executed? Most assuredly.

Jul 26 - 11:37 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

I haven't seen any of the movies that you listed. That being said, I really like The Conjuring. There were a couple parts that I thought were genuinely creepy and a few parts where I got goosebumps. In my humble opinion, it did its job well.

Jul 20 - 03:43 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I'm glad you enjoyed it, man! I'm not going to say that I didn't enjoy the movie. I'm just bored of the same thing, I guess.

Jul 21 - 07:50 AM

Alex M.

Hipster Elitist Maverick

Maybe I liked it a lot because I haven't seen those movies you listed so it feels newer.

Jul 21 - 11:11 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I actually think you're right. If I never saw the movies I listed, I would happily give this film an 85% rating.

Jul 21 - 11:49 AM

Migs Rodriguez

Migs Rodriguez

I liked the story, but the scary was missing. The only part I jumped on was when the door closed on the mom and she fell down the stairs. People were saying this movie was scarier than The Exorcist. I'd have to disagree.

Jul 20 - 06:09 AM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Scarier than The Exorcist?? That's ridiculous.

Jul 20 - 08:38 AM

Jim Biles

Jim Biles

Amen to that (pun intended).
The Exorcist is the ONLY movie that ever really DISTURBED me. This one managed only a few "Boo" jolts but no real terror. I liked it, but nowhere near the hype.

Jul 20 - 07:06 PM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

the exorcist wasn't scary at all. It was funny. Big pussy

Aug 17 - 08:25 PM

Kyle Donovan

Kyle Donovan

The Exorcist wasn't scary, at all.

Jul 21 - 05:04 AM

Ash Gilmore

Ash J. Gilmore

I call bullshit.

Jul 21 - 05:14 AM

Brendan Sullivan

Brendan Sullivan

call bullshit all you want. it was more funny than scary.

Aug 17 - 08:25 PM

Greg Baltzer

Greg Baltzer

I watched Exorcist 1 and 3 last week and neither one are Scary. Exorcist is a great movie but it's no where near scary. Any one of Bon Jovi's hair days is scarier than Exorcist.

Nov 2 - 11:00 PM

Anna Mortensen

Anna Mortensen

I think The Exorcist is an incredibly subjective movie when it comes to how it affects people. I've never found it scary, nor mildly disturbing. Why? Probably because I'm not religious in any form and watched it for the first time as an older teen. But I have family that think it was the most terrifying movie ever... To each their own.

Jul 21 - 01:05 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

The Christian/Catholic specific stuff...I start wondering, "Why
Latin? Do demons only understand Latin? Did Jesus speak Latin? Does
water from a Buddha fountain work? Or Shaman charms?"

Jul 23 - 07:57 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I'm sorry I doubted you. I feel ridiculous for screaming this movie's praises without actually seeing the fucking thing. I'm not going to say there were no scenes in this movie that frightened me. I'd be lying if I did. But that doesn't mean that I want to see the same religious themed bullshit exorcism fucking nonsense 1000000000 goddamn times.

*siiigh*

Where's my bong?

Jul 19 - 08:54 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

If this was a James Wan movie, it would open on its own.

Jul 19 - 09:05 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Lol The reference went over my head. I was too fired up. I don't think I've been this flabbergasted leaving a theater in a long time. I suppose this film made me have a revelation. And FUCK The Conjuring Chapter 2. I mean Dead Silence 2. I mean The Amityville Horror Chapter 60. I mean...goddmanit...Insidious Chapter 2.

Jul 19 - 09:14 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

It's ok, Tall Man. We've all made that mistake.

Ugh. I'm still livid.

Jul 19 - 09:33 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

That's fine with me. I know you'll succeed because you're a great horror mind.

Jul 19 - 10:07 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

It's a bit of the horror problem. what the critics like, a lot of genre fans don't. I'm still going to see it and deeply hope I like it. As an aside, I wasn't all that impressed with it.

Jul 19 - 08:26 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

I just don't get it. An intelligent, well-made, and IMMENSELY original film like Martyrs comes around and it gets a rotten rating. The Amityville Clusterfuck of Exorcisms and Wan Movies (aka The Conjuring) finishes with a much higher rating. It's not the job of the critic to determine if a movie is scary. It's their job to determine if a movie is fresh and well made. This was neither of them.

Jul 19 - 08:44 PM

Face Nyland

Face Nyland

Ah well...I hope you enjoy the movie, man.

Jul 19 - 08:46 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Whoops meant to say I wasn't all that impressed with Sinister

Jul 19 - 09:57 PM

Terry Rejniak

Terry Rejniak

Either was I, I enjoyed the Conjuring much more. I watch almost all the horror movies that come out except the ones I know are terrible. Pretty much if it makes it to the big screen I've seen it and most aren't very impressive. The Conjuring kept me entertained through out and I didn't walk out feeling I had wasted my money. I loved it, I'd recommend that you go see it!

Jul 22 - 11:52 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile