The Cottage Reviews

½ July 11, 2013
A solid little thriller that starts out in familiar territory (a weird dude moves into the guest house and is potentially dangerous), The Cottage features some genuine twists that you won't expect and is an entertaining little thriller that doesn't quite follow through on its promise but is decent nonetheless.
May 19, 2013
While The Cottage fails to really deliver any scares, it gives enough in the story/suspense train of interest to be interesting. The first half of the movie is pretty formulaic, but once it starts squeaking off the rails it becomes a tense little bugger. Which isn't to say it's unpredictable; enough hints are given to keep it from feeling totally random. I especially enjoyed the last 1/3 or so as the puzzle-pieces start to fall into place.
March 24, 2013
A pretty weak movie that mainly serves as an excuse for David Arquette to act innocent while leering menacingly. Although the plot does avoid being predictable it's less a suspense-thriller and more a good look at what a horror movie would be if the Hallmark or Lifetime channels made it.
June 11, 2014
( A movie that started out good, then went wrong)
I've seen horror films do this before. This film had an excellent hook and was off to an amazing start. But as we head towards the end of the movie it gets confusing and complicated to follow. Not only that, but some questions aren't even answered throughout the film. The acting is good until the end. In the end it all falls and collapses into a big mess of badness. It uses John Carpenters' style of horror by not showing any gore like in Halloween (1978). In the end of course there is lots of gore and brutality, sadly enough having David Arquette in the film didn't help. The way in which his character (Robert Mars) is written and portrayed is just weird and somehow just confusing to me. This movie probably lies within my new top 12 worst horror movies, or maybe even just movies in general period ever made. But for horror movies definitely in my top 12. A complete disaster for an ending and everyone's right, spill the bucket, the ending made the whole movie suck. Note: I gave it three because the start was amazing.
½ May 6, 2014
Tuesday, April 6, 2014

(2012) The Cottage
SUSPENSE THRILLER/ PSYCHOLOGICAL

Again, we're accustomed to seeing so much of these kind of movies, that it's becoming to be so tiring. I even get sleepy attempting to submit a proper review on here.

Anyways, there's a small scene at the beginning where a young teenage girl is getting married before she kills her mom and dad who're tied onto a chair. The movie then jumps to a suburban city focusing on a family of a step mom who's expecting, and at the same time looking after two teenage daughters who're not biologically hers. One of the daughters is resentful because her dad has already found someone who isn't her actual mom, but is really a school teacher she used to have. Viewers are completely oblivious about all the family's problems except to say that it's dysfunctional. The actual story doesn't start as soon as Robert(David Arquette) wanted to rent the so-called "cottage" located at the back yard since the previous tenant had got into an accident. Now, viewers only heard about the accident, but are also kept in the dark about it's events as well, at least until much later. As viewers are finding out more about Robert- the psychopath, the movie becomes more shallow and convoluted.

1 star out of 4 stars
December 19, 2013
The Cottage. Tiene un "buen" concepto pero muy mal desarrollado aparte de que la película se cae por si sola, agregando giros tan tontos e inexplicables. David Arquette actúa bien como el psicopata, los demás meh.
½ October 20, 2013
David Arquette does a good job playing a psychopath in this surprisingly entertaining horror-thriller.
August 12, 2013
Entertaining and suspenseful
½ July 14, 2013
Strangely I liked this movie. It had some classic elements that made it an enjoyable, a little creepy, with a touch of twisted... and just a pinch of sexy... what!? I like David Arquette as a bad guy.

A seemly normal family on the outside find themselves in dire need to rent out a cottage on their property -actually a guest house would be more accurate.

Cue the perfect tenant... a romance novelist in the guise of David Arquette, oops I mean Robert Mars. Nothing wrong there, he can pay and just needs a quiet place to create what his female fans want... escape.

We soon discover that nothing is as perfect as it seem... the two teenage girls of the family hate their step mom... who they feel stepped in a little too quickly after their mother's death... a little teenage angst, please. Throw in a vulnerable little baby and the tension can be cut by a knife.

What was handled very well by this film was the violence wasn't over done --see boy peek, see Robert catch boy, see Robert invite boy into cottage, see boy in the back of Robert awesome classic truck-- classy.

I did like the bit of the cult-like touches with the wives... oh yes Robert Mars has three and counting... and boy, they know how to use a knife.

If I had to say anything negative about this movie, the "mother" aka hero of this story... was annoying... I found myself quite quickly rooting for Robert and the brides, I don't think that was the intention of the writers... oh well, it may just be me and my sick little mind.

It has re-watchability value... if only to see that awesome Truck and just a little of David's flesh in the pool. But hey a girls gotta know what she likes.
½ June 5, 2013
The 2 daughters - particularly Morissa O'Mara, were so horrible, I was compelled to send a note begging Morissa to stay out of movies forever. This is yet another one of those movies that had promise but failed miserably. If you liked this movie, the best films you probably watch are on Lifetime.
½ November 5, 2012
Smetimes you take a chance on a movie and get a gem,,,,,,but most of the time you get rancid garbage like the Cottage.