Star Trek Into Darkness
As I Lay Dying
Greg Dean Schmitz
Middling as a summer blockbuster, zero as art, and more than a bit alarming as a phenomenon
A little behind arent we?
Aug 25 - 11:47 PM
This foolish restropection is merely an assemblage of peremptory, whiny grievances with a crackerjack thesaurus to make up for your lack of illustrious criticisms. Good day.
Aug 26 - 12:26 AM
Nice comment Harvey, i totally agree. Seriously Fernando, the title of your Dark Knight review can easily be used to describe your own reviewing style! Your clearly overusing the Microsoft Word synonym feature in order to make yourself out to be a faux intellectual. Let me illustrate this with a few points of your (quite childish) review.
1. "The Dark Knight is not 'a portrait of our times,' but the fact that so many supposed adults keep squandering precious ink over elaborate exaltations of its relevance is a portrait of our times."
- Who claims this movie to be a portrait of our times? I've never seen anyone even mention that idea.
2. "For such an allegedly ferocious narrative, this is an unaccountably chilly and antiseptic movie, as plodding and jejune (and as satisfied with its own "subversion") as the screen version of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta."
-This sentence is just retarded. How is a chilly and antiseptic movie at odds with a ferocious narrative? Or must they stand apart in your mind? Secondly, the whole point of batman is to be subversive, the entire batman story relies on both Batman AND the joker to go against the established order that's the IDEA. Try to pay attention.
3. (Note, this point has nothing to do with word choice) To be fair, The Dark Knight did provide the most chilling moment I have had at the movies all summer. I giggled at the ridiculous growl Bale employed from under his Batman mask, and was readily met with death stares from my neighboring viewers: Holy Mass had been violated. Please. Dude dresses like a bat, and suddenly cinema at long last fulfills its potential?
- Where do I begin, to start, giggling at inappropriate moments is something that pisses me off so much in movies, the tone of this movie is so damn obvious that you'd have to be purposely trying to make fellow movie goers mad, which i think you were honestly. Second, I hate when people take a plot and dumb it down "dude dresses like a bat," did you watch the movies? "As a man, I'm flesh and blood. I can be ignored, I can be destroyed. But as a symbol â?¦ as a symbol, I can be incorruptible. I can be everlasting." Its not the suit, its the symbol that he embodies that's why he wears it. This film quite simply is amazing, I believe it is a piece of art, and even if you disagree, at least admit that taking a comic book and turning it into this film is impressive.
[ ] Not Told
[ ] Told
[X] No Country for Told men
Jul 18 - 01:47 PM
Nice comment, Mr.Croce should get his facts right first.
Sep 23 - 08:38 PM
You're not saying anything. At all. Instead of talking about the movie's popularity try to actually CRITICIZE it. Ledger's performance is boring. WHY is it boring. Prolonging your sentences with thesaurus inspired words doesn't help. You're hear to review the film, not to make sure everyone knows you're superior to them.
By the way, despite what my username would imply, I do have problems with the film, and I agree that the exposition was certainly one of them.
Aug 26 - 12:35 AM
your comment is complete BS why dont u just rate kids movies if ya dont like serious films such as this beautiful piece of art.
Aug 26 - 01:37 AM
Down from 8.5 to 8.4 average because of one ridiculous "review"?
Aug 26 - 11:02 PM
/NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this review needs to be dealeted NOW 8.4 what!!!!
Aug 27 - 05:47 PM
WHAT?! I understand that some people are intolerant of different opinions here but you actually want the review to be DELETED? This site must represent as many people as possible or it represents no-one. To call for the deletion of this review is asinine.
Feb 14 - 10:05 AM
this guy is just a *** that made the dark knight get 8.4 and no longer a 8.5 this is a crime RT please for heavens sake dealete this review
Aug 27 - 05:50 PM
why why why at least its steal 94% but this dude is just and idoit please dealete this review I know your just expressing you opion please don't do it on RT because your going to get death threats I wouldn't complain as much if the dark knight went from a 8.5 to a 8.4 because of one negative review it is just not fair
Aug 27 - 06:35 PM
Implying that there is no such thing as freedom of opinion and that anyone whose opinion differs from your own should go to hell.
Nov 11 - 07:27 AM
If there is freedom of opinion then there is also freedom of criticizing a guy who we don't agree with.
May 1 - 09:55 PM
This guy totally did this on purpose, he just pops out of nowhere a year after the movie came out, he just wants to make people mad
Aug 27 - 08:10 PM
It hardly qualifies as a "review". He spends the bulk of the article bemoaning the fact that he can't understand why it's so well-loved.
Aug 27 - 11:08 PM
Well, he's just gone and angered everyone who thought the fluctuations in this review had finally settled
Sep 1 - 04:04 AM
dont worry, fernando, i agree. this movie was as bad as all the other batman movies, and all the other stupid comic book adaptions, this was a stupid over-rated movie. and dont get me wrong, i liove comic books, just not idiots that try to get money from making a movie about them.
Sep 4 - 05:49 PM
Sep 5 - 05:58 PM
butterz b, you don't have to lie. We all know you're not a comic book fan.
Sep 8 - 07:54 AM
It's OK, he has an icon for the new Nightmare on Elm Street movie. He obviously knows good movies
May 24 - 05:22 AM
Sep 28 - 06:58 PM
This guy hit all the wrong notes in his review. He was so off it's not even funny.
Sep 7 - 08:34 PM
What is this critic smoking? Hash?
Sep 8 - 07:52 AM
You sir, are an idiot.
Sep 16 - 06:50 PM
"zero as art"well then you must have the most ****ing pathetic sense of art. Why ARE you a critic? I have never met one on RT who actually deserves the kind of **** I'm giving you right now.If you really missed the film's complexity, say on anarchists, acting, and countless other artistic achievements then you should really quit your job
Sep 27 - 11:37 PM
I disagree Dark knight clearly sunk The Titanic.
Sep 28 - 04:23 PM
you regretfully suck at rating a masterpiece of a film. I guess it is just to amazing for you to comprehend.
Nov 1 - 07:05 PM
Ha ha, well....i think we all obviously know that this five year old child doesnt know anything about critiquing films after giving unaccurate comments about, "No Country for Old Men" and :The Dark Knight." Idiot, stick to spongebob movies
Nov 5 - 08:31 AM