"The Dark Knight" Chatter: Heath Ledger On The Joker, Bob Hoskins as The Penguin?

We already know "Brokeback" star Heath Ledger is working on his maniacal grin for Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins" sequel, but is Bob Hoskins practicing his waddle to play Gotham City's tuxedoed baddie?

The sharp folks over at IGN FilmForce posed the question to Hoskins at the L.A. premiere of "Hollywoodland" last week:

"When asked if the rumors were true, a sincerely surprised Hoskins replied, "Where did you hear that?" Hoskins was told it was in magazines and online.

Bob Hoskins as MGM Studio chief Eddie Mannix in "Hollywoodland."

IGN then asked the "Long Good Friday" and "Mrs. Henderson Presents" actor if he would accept the Penguin role if offered to which he responded, "Yeah, of course!"

When asked if he'd like to work with director Christopher Nolan, Hoskins replied simply, "Yeah, love to," before being escorted away from reporters.

Anyone who hasn't already thought about Hoskins in the role (made legendary by Burgess Meredith, made revolting by Danny DeVito) might now realize that Hoskins would make a fantastic Penguin -- debonair, intelligent, sinister. He could provide a very interesting villainous counterpoint to The Joker, which surprise pick Heath Ledger (who is beginning to settle in as the painted psychopath) says will be a far different Joker than what we've seen in Batmans past:

The face of the new Joker.

"It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of "A Clockwork Orange" kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes."

Comments

arpeggio191

Carl Myers

[b]holy crap...[/b]
this just gets better and better. Nolan is awesome. Christian Bale is freakin' awesome. Hoskins would make a great Penguin. Although, given that it sounds like it's a rumor, i have to admit that Seyemore Hoffman would make a better Penguin in my mind... but either way... good choice (if they are true.)

Sep 11 - 02:09 PM

gay4god

Bob Cool Guy

NOOOOOO! I hate the Penguin. The Penguin sucks donkey balls as a character. I hope Nolan doesnt feel like he needs to have big name lame ass villians to sell tickets. Batman Begins had no real big name villian, unless if you want to count scarecrow, and it was freaking awesome. I just hope Nolan doesnt start rehashing characters from previous batman flicks. I trust Nolan but please no Penguin.

Sep 11 - 02:36 PM

calth

Hans Müller

WOOT???? No Big Name Villains?? What Do You Call Ras'Al'Ghul???

Nov 16 - 10:56 AM

TheAnswerMVP2001

Snipes .

I thought this second film was going to revolve around the Joker and Harvey Dent, being a set up for Two-face in the third.....so where would The Penguin fit into all of this? And really I think The Penguin is probably the most annoying Batman villian of them all. They should do Catwomen if anything and fix the mess Halley Berry and that horrible film made.

Sep 11 - 02:59 PM

lavatory love machine

juan carlos petruchi

I hope there's no joker on the dark knight, mayve on the third part but for this one I was hoping a kind of two sides of the same person thing for batman/joker

the clockwork orange comment form ledger is great, that's what I had in mind, but even darker than Alex and not so eager to launch a clever speech

Sep 11 - 03:34 PM

nazgul

rudy garcia

Is no one here a Harley Quinn fan?? Id would LOVE to see her on the big screen instead of The Penguin. Not to sure who Id have play her but Kelly Ripa or even the chick that plays Starbuck from BG. Joker and Harvey Dent would be just fine as well just as long as its a good movie as the last.

Sep 11 - 04:00 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

a lot of people want to see Harley Quinn make an appearance of some sort, even if it's a cameo role as Joker's doctor, Harleen Quinzel, before she falls in love with "Mr. J." it would set her character up for future films quite nicely.

Sep 11 - 05:14 PM

dylan21484nj

glenn welsh

Sep 11 - 05:14 PM

Darth_Ninch

Nick Zinghini

I think The Penguin would be awesome for Nolan's Batman. I hated DeVito's; he was so annoying as the character. But I feel this British arms dealer approach to the character will make for an interesting villain.

The Clockwork Orange comment is great.

I can't wait to see what other villains will make an appearence in The Dark Knight.

Sep 11 - 06:20 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

[b]Clockwork[/b]
I don't endorse a single iota of any of the Batman films prior to Begins, and that goes double for the ridiculous portrayal of the villains. I'm excited about the Clockwork Orange take on the Joker as well as Penguin as a British Arms dealer. Harley Quinn? Sure, why not. But I hear Talia is the second tier villian in this one, come to avenge her father's death. That I'd love to see, keeping a ninjutsu fighter in the mix as a worthy opponent. It would be a waste to see Batman just beating up people who can't toe down with him, or worse, to go the Burton route and have characters with no professional fighting background (a la the first Joker) miraculously capable of going one on one with the Bat. I have no worries though because at the end of the day, I trust Nolan with my favorite comic book franchise and am excited to see what decisions he makes for the upcoming sequel. My few gripes are small. First, he's gotta do something about that Batmobile! And while he's at it, some better fight scene choreography wouldn't hurt. And please, above all else, no more Katie Holmes. I won't mind if her character just conveniently moved away or something, or, better, is killed off before the story begins. That in fact would be an interesting way to add an even darker edge to Batman, servicing the contrast to The Joker.

Sep 11 - 09:37 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

[b]Clockwork[/b]

Sep 11 - 09:37 PM

Unbreakable Samurai

Unbreakable Samurai

Hoskins would be the perfect penguin, I hope they give him the role. I can hardly wait for this film.

Sep 12 - 10:35 AM

Paul_Is_Drunk

Paul Andersen

The first movie had three villians... Scarecrow, Ra's al Ghul, and Carmine Falcone... and it worked great. Joker, the Penguin (as an arms dealer), and maybe set up Harvey Dent? Awesome.

Sep 12 - 11:37 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

(sigh) I take it nobody cares for Talia. I sure hope Nolan doesn't read into that and decide to drop her from the roster. She's the only one of these characters that we haven't seen portrayed on film, with respect of course to Harley Quinn. As for Dent, I hear he will just be a set up for the third film, a friend and not yet a foe. He gets burnt perhaps at the beginning of the third film in a Joker murder trial. That would be cool. I'd love to see Guy Pierce tackle the role. Can you say.. "PERFECT"?

Sep 12 - 12:13 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 12 - 12:13 PM

knowingtoast85

brian Firenzi

I've condensed this article for fun. RT News Cliff Notes, if you will?

BOB HOSKINS AS PENGUIN?

Is Bob Hoskins going to play The Penguin in Chris Nolan's next Batman movie? We asked Bob Hoskins and he had no clue what the hell we were talking about. In no way was he approached with this role or even considered for it. Rumors were generated in magazines and online.

Um, Bob Hoskins would make a good penguin. We think so, anyway.

When asked about playing The Joker, Heath Ledger had something to say that had nothing to do with The Penguin. We needed a quote about something, anything, so as to appear more reputable.

There you have it. Seriously, soon we're going to hear that Peter Jackson is directing.

Sep 12 - 12:26 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol. Yeah, that would be funny. (knock on wood) But if in some strange cosmic vortex Peter Jackson were to direct it, we'd better bring sleeping bags and marshmellows to the viewing.

Sep 12 - 01:16 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Sep 12 - 01:16 PM

dubz33

Coy Williamson

this movieis gonna be fucking awesome no matter what at first i was a little skeptical on a gay cowboy as the joker but hopefully and from rumors it sounds like it will be okay Bale says hes doing good so I trust Bale As Bob Hoskins as the penguin as long as he doesnt have luigi his side kick next to him

Sep 19 - 09:59 AM

GandalfTheWhite

Tom Hargrove

He'd make a great penguin, but with the joker, two-face recently as a possibility, do we need 3 villians?

Sep 20 - 11:14 AM

calth

Hans Müller

WOOT???? No Big Name Villains?? What Do You Call Ras'Al'Ghul???

Nov 16 - 10:56 AM

calth

Hans Müller

on a different note...
Strangely I see the Jokers Make-Up on Ledgers face in that BBackMountain StillFrame...

Nov 16 - 11:02 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer