RT on DVD: The Dark Knight Is Here!

Plus Horton Hears a Who, complete series sets of The Wire and Deadwood, and more.

5. Man on Wire - 100%

Director James Marsh pieces together a portrait of one of the world's bravest (or is it dumbest?) man in this critically acclaimed documentary, which also happens to be one of the best reviewed films of the year. In Man on Wire, meet Philippe Petit, a charismatic, iconoclast high wire walker who in the 1970s recruited a band of loyal collaborators to stage the dangerous stunt of walking (sans safety net) between the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. The spectacle led to a few arrests, granted Petit instant fame, and caused the dissolution of many of his closest relationships, though by his own account the daredevil has absolutely no regrets. Watch this fascinating documentary on DVD, which also features an audio commentary and deleted scenes. Man on Wire made the Oscar documentary shortlist for this year's nominations.

Next: Take home the complete DVD set of The Wire

Comments

Floor Man

Floor Man

Well, that sets *me* back $25 this week. :)

Dec 8 - 03:01 PM

inactive user

Jared King

This week on DVD is the...

Who cares what else is on DVD, "The Dark Knight" is out! One of my all time favorite movies is out! The event of the decade is here and has a plethera of features!

If I offended any fan of "The Wire" or "Deadwood" by dismissing them, sorry.

Dec 8 - 03:04 PM

oddjob323

kevin strawn

IGN hated the DVD, but ok.

Dec 8 - 03:15 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I will be receiving The Dark Knight tomorrow on blu ray. I think I am getting The Wire box set for Christmas, and if anyone is interested in it I say go to AMAZON because it is on sale there for 135 Bucks. I am looking forward to renting Deadwood, never got a chance to catch it and I have heard good things.

Dec 8 - 03:27 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Also I gotta try to get my hands on Red Cliff, hopefully it is Woo's much needed comeback.

Dec 8 - 03:28 PM

~*Admiral Snowstorm*~

Dominique Amsterdam

I hate to play the contrarian, but Man on Wire is what has me excited. Most realistic critics say The Dark Knight was pretty good but flawed, whereas Man on Wire is getting acclaim from all around from everybody. I don't want to sound all edgy and play into the backlash, but I'm pretty indifferent to The Dark Knight. It's on my Netflix Queue at about #150 or so, which is fairly high considering my Queue is full up...But Man on Wire is at #31, because there are only 30 movies out right now that I want to see before Man on Wire. The Dark Knight is alright news, but I was anticipating this week a lot more for Man on Wire.

Dec 8 - 03:39 PM

indiefilmfan2

Brandon R

I got Dark Knight in the mail earlier today and the special features are lengthy but mostly fluff and some of the featurettes are pretty redundant. Just like I Am Legend, WB will proabbly double-dip this, and hopefully finally give this film the treatment it deserves. LOST is an incredible show. The season 4 finale was simply masterful. The great thing about Lost is that it rewards its loyal viewers. This is not a show you can just casually watch here and there, which is why ABC can't seem to attract new viewers.

Dec 8 - 04:45 PM

Jen Yamato

Jen Yamato

Admiral, it's interesting that you name Man on Wire as the release you're most interested in this week. It's a small documentary about a seemingly banal subject but it's got an incredible 100% Tomatometer rating and on many critics' best of the year lists. That said, when I watched it I thought it was good, but not great or a masterpiece; though it addresses certain events that were indeed spectacular, it's fairly subdued. Let us know what you think.

Dec 8 - 05:25 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Wait Jen can you give some info on the blu ray import of Red Cliff. I love Woo's early work but have loathed his new stuff. I presume it has english subtitles? Is it actually good, because I don't particularly want to pay 40 bucks but if it is a good Woo movie then I will.

Dec 8 - 08:15 PM

gamecrazy2006

Jake Vitanza

FINALLY OMFG IVE BEEN WAITING. THE DARK KNIGHT IS THE BEST MOVIE OF 2008. THE SCORE IS OFFICIALLY ELIGIBLE AGAIN TO BE NOMINATED. BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR. HERE'S TO BEING NOMINATED FOR BEST PICTURE!

Dec 8 - 05:39 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Ease off the Pixie Stix sport, everything will be OK. And while I do foresee it being nominated for Best Picture, I think it has a pretty slim (almost non-existant) chance of winning. It'll win a couple small-fry Oscars like best score or cinematography (the opening bank scene and the Japan scene are pure beauty). The best award we can all hope for is Supporting Actor, and I think we all know that. "We" being the fans pulling for it in the awards season.

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Too bad The Dark Knight was disqualified for Best Score, so that's not going to happen. Oh, indiefilmfan2, I'd love to know who sent you a copy of The Dark Knight a day early, it's worth a reward to report it, and a fine for the company. I used to work in a video store, and that stuff is taken very seriously, even when it's just a day early.

Dec 8 - 07:46 PM

Confounded

Matthew Bertram

Dec 8 - 05:44 PM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Dec 8 - 07:46 PM

Random_Jake

Joshua Mills

Horton was good. Of course getting Horton or Dark Knight on Netflix will probably take a year. I'll just buy it.

Dec 8 - 05:46 PM

John Church

john church

I've I had the dark knight fever since it was announced that there will be a batman begins 2 LOL and I still have the fever I don't know how long it last maybe forever

Dec 8 - 05:48 PM

Jasonsnak

Jason Smith

you know it really sucks when your unemployed and recently laid off due to ****ty economic times. With such few dollars I have left I'm spending my hard earned tax payers money on this one. Since my copy comes with the batpod.

Dec 8 - 05:54 PM

rle4lunch

Chad W

You'd probably have $25-$40 more a month if you shut off your internet. Then you could buy the movie. LOL

Dec 9 - 02:53 PM

antiboy

Chris Cave

I figured they'd at least put more Heath Ledger stuff on there.

Although they're probably saving that material for some 10 year anniversary box-set so that they can call it "never before seen" or "unreleased" etc.

Dec 8 - 06:52 PM

Jason C Wilkerson

Jason Wilkerson

Dec 8 - 07:46 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Dec 8 - 08:15 PM

therealboltcutters

Arthur Nelson

The Dark Knight and Lost. :) Already in the mail from Amazon.

Dec 8 - 08:38 PM

harrismonkey

chris harris

Make your own commentary- seems like the most pointless, obnoxious feature ever. Or is it just me?

I'd much rather hear what Nolan has to say about the movie. Oh well.

Dec 8 - 09:07 PM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

Kudos, Admiral Snowstorm! Way to bring some sense into this Batman jizz-fest!

Seriously, I know you guys loved the movie, and it was good, no doubt, and I am all for comic book movies getting their due credit in the eyes of the common moviegoer, but there were many better films (such as, uh, Man on Wire). You really should get out more.

Dec 8 - 09:08 PM

danterandal19

Vince Osorio

I'm going to ignore the elephant in the room and talk about "Horton Hears a Who".
Well,Horton's a big elephant literally, but I was talking about a metaphorical one of "TDK" releasing tomorrow.
I just think that that movie is pretty underrated, and I might pick up a copy on Blu-ray (next week, of course). Plus, has anyone heard of Jim Carrey doing a commentary on one of his movies before, because that is very interesting if "Horton" is his first one.

Also, can't wait to see "Man on Wire"- it's at the top of my "queue"; I'll get to it after i finish finals and send back "The Crow".

Dec 8 - 09:31 PM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer