Weekly Ketchup: Anne Hathaway cast in next Batman movie

Summary

The last several weeks have been slow in movie news, as Hollywood loves taking holiday vacations five times longer than what the rest of the world can manage. This week, however, enough news stories came out to fill a couple Weekly Ketchup columns of ten news stories each. Here, then, are the cream of the crop, at least in terms of high-profile stories, because at least half of them are arguably "Rotten Ideas." There's casting news for The Dark Knight Rises (the next Batman movie) and Prometheus (formerly known as the Alien prequel), as well as potential new movies for Robert Downey Jr, Beyonce Knowles and the former governor of California. Back to Article

Comments

Ian K.

Ian Kirchner

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. Mmmmmmmm... :)

Jan 21 - 05:36 PM

Jake. L

Mark Lambert

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Jan 22 - 04:57 PM

Mervin l.

Mervin lastname

Remember everyone's reaction when they found out Heath Ledger was playing the Joker? Yeah, that's why it's much wiser to with hold all comments on Anne for now.

Jan 22 - 06:32 PM

Jan 22 - 10:48 PM

Mervin l.

Mervin lastname

Jan 22 - 06:39 PM

Lumbergh Phucter

Jamie Eakins

Well, I won't say this thrice, but welcome to the intardnet - WHERE NO ONE WAITS TO BE HEARD.

Jan 22 - 09:39 PM

Skelerax V.

Skelerax Von Evilface

Thriiice.

Jan 24 - 11:11 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Wait, say that again? I didn't catch you the first, second or third time. :)

Jan 23 - 10:43 AM

Hunter N.

Hunter Neal

i dont care how many times he says it the negative comments need to wait at least until there is some footage releaed

Jan 23 - 09:37 PM

Hunter N.

Hunter Neal

Jan 23 - 09:37 PM

Hunter N.

Hunter Neal

i actually promise i didnt mean to post that twice

Jan 23 - 09:40 PM

Robert  K.

Robert Ketcher

i agree

Jan 22 - 12:55 PM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Heh...whats really funny is that if Nolan were doing the Annie reboot with the exact same casting news, folks would be tripping over themselves saying how innovative and brilliant the call was...

whatever...

Jan 23 - 10:56 AM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

In Nolan The Dude trust

Jan 21 - 06:17 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

There's only one Dude and it aint Nolan, it's Bridges.

Jan 21 - 06:52 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

He's saying that he, "The Dude", trusts in Nolan.

Jan 21 - 09:56 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sorry about that, I didn't read it right. My bad.

Jan 22 - 06:52 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

No, you did read it right. The Dude needs english classes. lol (I'm kidding)

Jan 22 - 12:41 PM

ICantRememberMyNumber

Daniel Wilkinson

In Nolan TheDudeVinciCode trusts.

Jan 22 - 12:05 AM

Lumbergh Phucter

Jamie Eakins

I trust, I Nolan.

Jan 22 - 09:44 PM

Murdock408

David Acosta

BANE!!!!!! YEAH!

Jan 21 - 06:21 PM

Smartest Person Here

Greg Bonnette

The should make a movie about the Black Panthers, the black, revolutionist group, not Black Panther, the comic character.

BTW, I remember that cover from the Deadwood City book. I read that when I was 10 or so. Crazy.

Jan 21 - 06:22 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

That is very interesting, but it may not ever happen.

Jan 21 - 06:57 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Well, there was that movie Panther, made by Mario Van Peebles. I think it came out in 1995.

Jan 21 - 07:22 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

And the "smartest person here" should already know this.

Jan 24 - 05:23 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I've probably read the stupidest comments in association with any movie just in the last few days for Batman 3. All this hate and skepticism for Anne Hathaway. Really? And then, my personal favorite, the gripe about Bane from those who clearly know nothing about the character beyond the 1997 Schumacher debacle.

It's funny that we're getting all this so soon after TDK. As if no one learned a thing from that. Does Hathaway have to be comparable as an actor to Heath Ledger? No. Even Heath Ledger wasn't comparable to Heath Ledger before people saw him in TDK and then looked back over the body of his work and then said, "aah, what a fine actor."

I won't even dignify the crap about whether she's hot..

And then Bane. Folks shamelessly lament him being in it. Some have gone so far as to express regret over Bane being chosen instead of, *snicker*, the Riddler. I've said it before, but one simple Wiki search will reveal that Bane is one of Batman's not only toughest but most intelligent adversaries. He's also had a link to Ras', setting the film up for a perfect bookend to Begins. Can it be any more obvious how brilliant a choice this is? For the Dark Knight to face off against a brutal doppelganger in his departing opus?

Really folks, do your research. And if nothing else, wake up and smell the goddamn record.

Jan 24 - 05:40 AM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

First of all, calm down. Secondly, I have read up on Bane, and he is still basically a guy who is juiced up on some supernatural/doesn't exist serum which makes him super strong and intelligent. In Nolans universe everyone is basically normal. That is my problem with this villain choice. What's next Clayface?

Jan 24 - 03:31 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

My friend, you have not read enough. First, the serum does not make him intelligent. He is hardened by being imprisoned for most of his life, and he owes his intelligence to spending most of that time studying. The serum, at first, was imposed on him. Then it quickly became an addiction.

Ras has mentioned that Bane is one of the most intelligent men he's ever known -a very high compliment considering the source. His association with Ras in the comic, in fact, is a perfectly good reason to include him in this finale. A reason, by the way, that offers quite a few possibilities. What kind of physical threat will he pose in the film, considering this is the guy who famously broke the Dark Knight's back in the comic? And knowing full well that he will, how, me must consider, will Nolan make use of Bane's famous intelligence? (And really, does anyone here truly think that Nolan will portray this character in a corny Gothic dog collar?)

It's considerations like these that make the comments on these boards frustrating. For one, these possibilities and many more inevitably exist in the world of the comic and therefore will likely come up as considerations in the development of Nolan's film. How can this, and things unmentioned, not appeal to our interests? As self professed fans anyway. That's my beef.

Jan 24 - 04:26 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Also, it probably bears mentioning that the serum can very easily be portrayed in a realistic fashion. The first film, after all, did well with the Microwave Emitter.

Jan 24 - 04:29 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Dude Clayface. The microwave emitter is a machine that could possibly exist. A serum which makes you super strong is a stretch. I would have preferred a more realistic villain. You laugh, but the Riddler done well and darker could have been amazing. Anne Hathaway is going to be SMOKING in the tight leather. I hope they go with the black custome, and the mask that lets her hair out in the back.

Jan 25 - 03:12 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

i'm really sorry for disrupting ......
What in the hell is TDK???

Feb 3 - 09:57 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

i'm really sorry for disrupting ......
What in the hell is TDK???

Feb 3 - 09:58 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

oh..... The Dark Knight.....

Feb 3 - 09:59 PM

JRM

Raul M

I'm already hyped for TDKR. My expectations aren't through-the roof quite yet as I don't expect it to be better than TDK, but I'm hopeful that will change once the trailer hits.

Jan 21 - 06:36 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

I wonder if Bane would break Batman's back...anyway, has anyone seen the new Spidey suit pics? They say it's a stuntman suit(Which it does look like it) but it looks terrible. Looks too hipster than ultimate.

Jan 21 - 06:51 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Saw it on TMZ. Stuntman looked appropriately agile and strong. He flipped into the bed of a pick-up truck.

Jan 21 - 09:57 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

That was awesome.

Jan 22 - 06:52 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Yeah it was. I like the costume design. Dare I say it even has hints of Spider-Man 2099 in it? Because Ultimate Spider-Man's costume doesn't look exactly like that pic.

Jan 22 - 12:43 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

There's only one Dude and it aint Nolan, it's Bridges.

Jan 21 - 06:52 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

He's saying that he, "The Dude", trusts in Nolan.

Jan 21 - 09:56 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Sorry about that, I didn't read it right. My bad.

Jan 22 - 06:52 AM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

No, you did read it right. The Dude needs english classes. lol (I'm kidding)

Jan 22 - 12:41 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Ok, I'm interested to see how Anne Hathaway can manage to pull off Catwoman. It may be very well pulled off. The fresh ideas are not bad either, but all of the rotten ideas need to be shot on sight.

Jan 21 - 06:53 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

That is very interesting, but it may not ever happen.

Jan 21 - 06:57 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Beside the Dark Knight News nothing interesting this week. Did anyone happen to see the first episode of Roger Ebert presents At the Movies? I thought it was great, much better then I expected it to be. My favorite part was the voice Roger decided to use for himself.

Jan 21 - 07:04 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

Since when?

Jan 21 - 07:41 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sediments exactly.

Jan 21 - 08:14 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sentiments* exactly. Stupid phone lol.

Jan 21 - 08:15 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

I would say since Havoc, Brokeback Mountain, Devil Wears Prada and Rachel Getting Married but that's just my opinion.

Jan 21 - 09:47 PM

RJ Smoove

Ryan Rutherford

Yeah, her Oscar nod for Rachel Getting Married, and many other award show nods over the years, say she's good enough. Plus Nolan's smart.

Jan 21 - 10:03 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

Even if she won an oscar it still wouldn't fix her annoying face

Jan 22 - 12:56 AM

HypeWaive487

Ernie Truman

She was great in "Love and Other Drugs" as well. And no, not because she was topless in it a lot. Though, I have no complaints with that either.

Jan 22 - 01:31 AM

Mensa Devoid

John Mancz

Agreed, she is a very capable actress just not sure if she can top Michelle Pfieifers. I thought the same about Heath before hand, but I think his body of work showed more of what he could do with the Joker (especially with Brokeback, the darkeness of his character). Anne's body of work I don't see as much Catwoman in (maybe a little mental imbalance from Rachel and sexy/sultry from everything). Though I completly have faith in Nolan, he is not a man for "tricks" he is very straightforward and gets real performances from his actors, though the love intrests are usually the weakest parts...

Jan 22 - 08:21 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Jan 21 - 07:22 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

And the "smartest person here" should already know this.

Jan 24 - 05:23 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I won't even dignify the crap about whether she's hot..

Jan 24 - 05:40 AM

Jan 24 - 04:29 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Jan 25 - 03:12 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

i'm really sorry for disrupting ......
What in the hell is TDK???

Feb 3 - 09:57 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

i'm really sorry for disrupting ......
What in the hell is TDK???

Feb 3 - 09:58 PM

minjun k.

minjun kim

oh..... The Dark Knight.....

Feb 3 - 09:59 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

Since when?

Jan 21 - 07:41 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sediments exactly.

Jan 21 - 08:14 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sentiments* exactly. Stupid phone lol.

Jan 21 - 08:15 PM

Jan 22 - 01:31 AM

Mensa Devoid

John Mancz

Jan 22 - 08:21 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sediments exactly.

Jan 21 - 08:14 PM

wastedgerbil

Kris Carpenter

Haha! My sentiments* exactly. Stupid phone lol.

Jan 21 - 08:15 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

"Willow Smith won the casting call for this version of Annie on October 31, 2000"

Wow, that is one of the funniest lines i've ever read on an RT article!

Jan 21 - 08:34 PM

Mensa Devoid

John Mancz

what's funnier is I didn't get that (I actually was confused and didn't care) until I just read your comment lol

Jan 22 - 08:26 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Thanks for noticing that. ;)

Jan 23 - 10:02 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel