—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Dark Knight Reviews

John M

September 3, 2008
One of the best superhero movies ever. Christian Bale continues to shine in this role. Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine are superb.
familiar s

January 4, 2009
While lots of people felt it as one of the greatest movies ever, I found it just like any other "one-time watch" movie.

EDIT: Apparently, I don't re-rate a movie every now and again. But I gotta take this exceptional step for an exceptional flick. Previous rating was 3/5 with the comment typed above this paragraph. However, now I'd like to change it to follows:

On my first viewing, I didn't like it much, but the feelings turned in its favor after watching it thereafter. In fact, when I first watched it, I found it just a bit better than any mediocre movie. Maybe my mood influenced my ability to enjoy it. Happens with me less often than not. However, now I watch it every once in a while (although the viewing habit has changed from every other day to every once in a while, the impression remains) for chilling entertainment.

So now the rating rises to 4.5/5. Excellent dialogues, incredible acting, and, of course, an outstanding execution deserve that in the least. Haven't had a change of heart for the final part as yet.
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

December 22, 2007
Let's open this review with the fact that Batman is THE BEST superhero ever, with no other even coming close to his levels. So when a sequel is made for an unforgettable movie like "Batman Begins" expectations are EXTREMELY high. I think that if you could describe this movie in a few words it would be "152 minutes of pure awesomeness." Christopher Nolan probably created the best ever comic book adaptation of a movie. The movie itself has been adapted in a much more realistic fashion than the comic book series. First of all this movie is PERFECT for people who like punches, drama, shooting and explosions. The movie has a complicated plot that keeps your eyes glued to the screen. It's anything BUT corny, since a few important characters die, and the ending isn't happy, but it's flawless. Christian Bale has proved himself one again as an amazing actor. Michael Cane (portrays Alfred Pennyworth) makes you fall in love with Batman's loyal butler. Now anyone that has seen the movie and is reading this review is probably wondering why I haven't mentioned the main reason why this movie is flawless. And yes, there is ONE main reason: Heath Ledger. Heath Ledger portrayed Batman's arch nemesis in this movie: the Joker. Now anyone who has a clue in comic books knows that the Joker is INCREDIBLE. Heath Ledger's acting in this movie has turned the Joker into a LEGEND. I have never seen such perfect and realistic acting than the portrayal of the Joker in this movie. The Joker is portrayed in a much more mature fashion than the comic books, and that's why it was so good. It's simply impossible to describe him: he's bold, insane, smart, twisted and he's so awesome in this film that at some points you love him even more than Batman. If I haven't mentioned it by now, this is without a doubt the best movie I have seen.Those who come with high expectations after seeing "Batman Begins" will not be disappointed. I advise that no one under the age of 11 watches this movie as Two-Face's appearance is rather frightening and the film contains intense action. 4 1/2 Stars 11-15-13
Nikhil N.
Nikhil N.

May 8, 2010
The movie is almost perfect. Outstandingly acted and perfectly directed by Chris Nolan. The movie's only fault lies in the fact that the character of Harvey Dent/Two Face isn't given enough time to develop his psychological state. Heath Ledger steals the show and stands out as the best actor in the bunch. The movie gets better and better every time I watch it.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

March 4, 2013
I'm definitely on the wrong side of this one. I thought there was way too much back story and talkie talk about why Bruce Wade is depressed and limping. The dialogue was weak and predictable. I like bat man. I like comic book movies. I just thought the story here was not well presented. Visually, it looked kind of cool.
garyX
garyX

July 7, 2007
Being a bit of a latecomer when it comes to The Dark Knight, this film was always going to be about the hype. It's a tall order to live up to the expectation generated by the most anticipated film of the year directed by one of my favourite directors containing a performance lauded over by all and sundry. Basically, it had a HELL of a lot to live up to. Astonishingly, it did not disappoint. I loved Batman Begins, particularly its examination of the psychology of Bruce Wayne/Batman and the sequel can be seen as the continuation of a single story in a similar way to the first two Godfather films. This time it's The Joker's show all the way and Ledger tiptoes the line between playfulness and psychosis perfectly. His character is obviously designed to strike a cord with western audiences as a villain with no agenda, fear of death or capture, no objective other than chaos is clearly the ultimate "terrorist". I just wish there had been more dialogue between he and Bale, rather than The Joker making observations while Batman wordlessly pounded on him, but absolutely every other aspect of the film is pretty much flawless; the action, the effects, the performances, all spot on. The script is brilliantly written and I was glad to see it didn't follow the usual pattern of "we're all super-baddies so let's all join up to fight the hero", instead Two Face being a far more believable by-product of The Joker's manipulations. I still prefer the stylistic approach of Sin City, but it's still easily one of the best superhero films ever made.
Louis R

April 15, 2011
Thematically concise and effective, with a line up of truly outstanding performances (Gary Oldman and Heath Ledger in particular), genuinely breathtaking spectacle and direction by Chris Nolan and brooding, gorgeous cinematography from Wally Phfister.
Josh L

June 10, 2007
Now that Nolan had everything in place and the origin story was out of the way, he had pretty much free reign to do whatever he chose and was able to shape it himself. It is safe to say that The Dark Knight is the best superhero film ever made and it forever changed how we perceive not only the superhero film, but also blockbuster film making in general. It has already had an incredible influence on franchises as popular and established as James Bond (Skyfall, the highest grossing Bond film of all time and 3rd in ticket sales out of 23 films. Sam Mendes has confessed himself he was influenced by Christopher Nolan). Heath Ledger as the Joker set the bar for villains in general and will forever be remembered as the character, eclipsing Jack Nicholson's Joker that was supposed to be defining back in the 80's. The rush of watching the opening sequence for the first time is something I wish I could experience again. This is a film that even Batman and superhero non-fans can enjoy because it can also be put up there as a crime epic on the level of the past greats in that genre. This cannot be said about the other two in the series, as spectacular as they are. The Dark Knight is a dark and depressing story not for those who are feint in heart (and probably pushed the limit of the PG-13 rating as far as it could possibly go). Nolan's The Dark Knight is a crowning achievement and a landmark film.
Christian C

October 27, 2012
Bale is perfect as Batman. Heath Ledger's final performance was really strong. Good action film and highly recommended.
Jason Lalljee
Jason Lalljee

April 21, 2010
A dazzling achievement that set a new precedent in not only the comic-book genre, but in film-making itself.
paul o.
paul o.

August 8, 2012
Arguably Nolan's best film by his critics and his legion of followers, The Dark Knight sets the stage for the perfect villain played by the late Heath Ledger. The Batman suit is revamped and the story is tight so that any audience viewer (even those who aren't a fan of the franchise) can keep up with the story and not feel lost or deprived. Its not just a super hero movie, its a modern day epic.
Sanjay R

April 24, 2011
A good all around movie. Great performances along with an unconventional plot, thanks to an unconventional villain. It certainly has its flaws when it comes to the story however. Good, but incredibly overrated.
Samuel Riley
Samuel Riley

August 5, 2012
Bigger and stronger than the first. With performances going even further than before, especially Heath Ledger with his iconic and shocking role. However, 'The Joker' in the comics is psychotic, clever and humorous. The portrayal in this film is that he is a sadistic genius. Faith of the comics can be seen a little bit more with Aaron Eckhart's role. Featuring more action and a darker atmosphere, this is a superb comic book film and may be the finest.
Brian D

June 26, 2008
Very good sequel.Just about live up to the hype.Heath Ledger is good as the joker but not he's stand out performance that everyone is saying.That for me would be Ned Kelly but thats me.For me i still perfer batman begins it had that wow factor and the dark knight just lost it abit.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Arguably one of the best crime/comic-book adapted/overall films of all time. Christopher Nolan's ominous sequel to his direction of the Dark Knight Trilogy is a masterpiece. From it's visual concepts to it's classical, psychopathic performance by the late-great Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight is truly an epic that's not to miss. 5/5
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 9, 2010
This film is quite possibly one of the best action films out there. Heath Ledger's performance definitely lives up to the hype. I could go on, and on about how great this film was. To those who say that Batman Sucks, you guys don't know what you're talking about. THIS is the superhero film to truly call a masterpiece; The Hulk does not stand a chance against The Dark Knight. Even though The Hulk was great, this one is better, far better. Acting wise, special effects wise and story wise, this film succeeds on many levels. The Dark Knight is a darker, more melancholic film than previous Batman films. This Gotham City is more depressing and more real than previous films. Heath Ledger as The Joker delivers the most intense performance of all. Not since Malcolm McDowell portrayed Alex Delarge in A Clockwork Orange has a villain been this menacing. He really did deserve that Oscar. If great directors such as Stanley Kubrick would have made a batman film, The Dark Knight would have been it. A true masterpiece and a film that will live on as the greatest superhero film ever made. Christopher Nolan definitely delivered something unique with this film, and it shows. He raised the bar higher for every super hero film that would come after it, and pushed the boundaries on how far a film in this genre can go. This film is brilliant and is among my favorites because this is the first time where a superhero film is serious and faces off with a more real villain. The performance of Ledger alone is what makes this film so unique, so good and it stands in a category by itself. This is a stunning picture that comic book fans will certainly love and cherish. Every moment, every scene of the film is incendiary. Of all the Christopher Nolan films, this is my favorite. He hasn't topped this film, he only equalled it with his following Batman film, but he will never release a stronger film. This is a smartly crafted picture where it strips away the cartoony, romanticized aspects that we know about caped crusaders, and offers us something raw, nasty and unforgettable. The fact that Heath Ledger died shortly after principal photography adds to the melancholic atmosphere of this film, very much as The Crow did for Brandon Lee. Unfortunately Heath Ledger is not around to see his Joker menace audiences the world over, but at least this film will live on as a testament of his talents.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 2, 2008
A superb epic crime film that not only elevates the comic book genre into Oscar worthy territory, but surpasses all of the hype surrounding it by miles. 'Nuff said.

Just kidding. I have more to say. Like how this one immediately shows that Nolan learned from the previous film and fixed the action scene editing, making it a lot easier to tell what's going on. Good job. Also, the stakes are definitely raised here, and the theme of escalation is definitely on display. Yes, like the previous one, there's flaws, such as a bit too much of the heavy handed dialogue sequences (though I don't totally hate the philosophizing), and there's some plot holes and it really asks you to take some big leaps of faith with suspension of disbelief, which is hard to do when you're superhero comic film is trying to take a more realistic approach. You can't have it both ways, but they manage to straddle the line better than most.

Now, onto the great stuff. The acting. I really don't need to comment muchc here. Ledger won the Oscar, and yeah, it was a lamndmark performance. I think the media overblew it, and maybe he wasn't *quite* as deserving, but I don't think that giving him the Oscar was a mistake either. He took what Nicholson did, built on the darker aspects of it, and delivered one of the best incarnations of one of the greatest fictional characters either. That ain't an easy thing to do. Bale is still strong as Bruce/Batman, but that voice he uses is still a little off-putting. It doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others though. Gyllenhaal is better than Holmes, but I still think they underused her. Eckhart is great as Harvey Dent, but looking back, I'm slightly underwhelmed and disappointed with how they treated him. They did good (better than Schumacher) but I really feel they rushed it with the ending. In fact, the entire climax feels that way, but especially so given how things played out in reality. I realized Ledger finished things before his death, and they didn't reshoot anything, but still, knowing that he wouldn't be coming back retroactively dampens the impact of the ending.

All this griping aside, this is a wonderful film. Even with the flaws it's basically perfect, and by that I mean it really delivers on all sides to all types of viewers. It'll please the fanboys and girls, the intellectuals, casual viewers, those who love gritty crime dramas, and those who appreciate art films that also work as summer blockbusters. Plus, that music is just...WOW!
Adriel L

July 19, 2012
It's one of those few movies where it truly is a treat to watch every second, even more so when re-watched, again and again... and again. Much thanks to the deft acting of Heath Ledger, giving life to a villain totally larger than life on screen power. And there are few movies which satisfactorily carry a lot of artistic meaning and message such as this Nolan masterpiece. These moments define great film and great art. And it delivers it spectacularly well.
Everett J

July 20, 2012
"The Dark Knight" is easily one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. I don't say that lightly either as I watch a lot of movie, but this ranks right at the top. As of right now on 7/20/2012, it's my favorite comic book adaptation ever. Everything about this movie is perfect. The story, the acting, the look, the feel, it all works beautifully. There are twists and turns that keep you on a thrill ride that you just don't want to end. Christian Bale returns as Bruce Wayne, and is easily the best Batman ever. Here, he is faced with the Joker(Heath Ledger) and trying to help Harvey Dent(Aaron Eckhart)maintain his "white knight" appeal to the city and give them hope that there is still good in the world. First, Eckhart is fantastic as Dent. He makes you believe in Harvey Dent, and wish he were a real life district attorney. As for Heath Ledger's Joker, I truly feel he is the greatest cinematic villain of All Time. The performance is simply amazing and ranks as one of the best of all time. It's truly a shame that Ledger passed away before this movie release, because his role is something that only comes along once in a lifetime. I have yet to see the third installment, "Rises", but it has huge shoes to fill. Christopher Nolan is my favorite director, and this is his masterpiece. This movie, from the first frame to the last credit is brilliant and absolutely a must watch for everyone.