The Dark Knight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Reviews

May 5, 2016
Greatest fucking movie of all time. HEATH LEDGER
May 4, 2016
The performance of Heath Ledger as The Joker alone already sufficient to make this movie a legend, and had made himself a legend in movie history, too. In additional, this movie excels in so many areas, too. Dark, sophisticate, complex, twisting storyline, excellent cinematography, all help to make this movie unforgettable for all movie goers.
May 4, 2016
Best DC film of all time!!!
February 23, 2015
best batman movies yet
February 24, 2012
Decent action movie, great performance by ledger, but a loud 3rd act and a pretentious script that has to explain its themes rather than infer them hinders the movie on the second watch.
July 31, 2014
Not Just the Best Superhero Movie of all Time, One of the BEST Movies of All Time

Batman Begins brought new life into the Batman film series. It put a serious and dramatic spin from the original series. The Dark Knight had a lot of hype. The only question was if it was going to live up to it. And it does. No question.

The Dark Knight picks up about a year or two after Batman Begins. Crime has dropped drastically. Batman patrols the night, forcing the mob to meet in the day. Christian Bale and Gary Oldman take over their previous roles as Bruce Wayne (Batman) and Lt. James Gordon. Their partnership is making Gotham City an easier place. However a new team member is coming into play: District Attorney Harvey Dent.

This team is up to stop the mob as best as they can. But even this seemingly unstoppable team isn't ready for what's next: The Joker.

The Joker is an unpredictable, mentally unstable character who is out to cause chaos as much as he can. And he is just AWESOME. The actor, Heath Ledger, puts on a monumental performance. He plays an amazing villain and is a huge part of what makes The Dark Knight so enjoyable.

Heath Ledger isn't the only actor that has a standout performance. Christian Bale's Batman is a flawed yet fascinating character. He faces many hardships throughout the film and his story stirs up emotions on almost every level. My only problem is his voice when he plays Batman. In the first Nolan outing, his voice was actually pretty badass. But now, it's become a raspy whisper. It annoyed me. Just keep your mouth shut and kick some ass. Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent also faces much tragedy, and Eckhart puts on a great performance for the eventual Two-Face.

This isn't your average superhero movie. There is no superhero saves the world, everyone is happy. There is so much more that hidden in this deep, emotional film. Christopher Nolan takes an interesting comic book character and makes an action-packed, dramatic, thrilling, and overall terrific motion picture. This isn't just a great superhero movie, but a great film in general. I absolutely loved this movie and it is definitely the best picture I have ever seen. 10 out of 10 AMAZING
May 1, 2016
Chris Nolan captured a complexity in characters that was missing in the superhero movie universe. That the word hero and villain are interchangeable between characters. Both hide behind "masks" they have created, both are deeply conflicted and wounded individuals at their cores, as academic author Mithun Shetty puts it "Both are fighting against problems they believe to exist in their city, and have spawned from some tragedy in their life; they really only differ in methodology."(Shetty). Joker arrives in the movie not killing innocents on the streets, or tearing apart buildings in a fit of rage; he arrives almost subtly pulling off a clown mask and making off with millions in mob boss money. Joker may very well feel that what he is doing is as justified as what Bruce Wayne does, he's making an example out of those he feels are in the wrong. He brings his own brand of "justice" terrible and psychotic yes, but arguably equally as effective as anything Batman had perviously done in Batman Begins. Often villains are characterized as being power hungry, greedy, money-loving, self absorbed people. But the Joker is able to flip this role, without losing creepy and disturbed way he makes us the audience feel. He is ambitious, intelligent, and frankly doesn't care at all if he ends up sitting on any kind of throne. He wants to show Gotham how truly corrupt it has become, a moral rotting that has taken form all the way from the alley ways to the courts. The movie exemplifies everything a good fight between "good" and evil should entail. I love this movie until the end of time.
May 1, 2016
Some say it's the best super hero movie ever, and well, it's not an unfair claim !
½ May 1, 2016
After Christopher Nolan resuscitated Batman in Batman Begins (2005), he brought us this complex, dark and thrilling sequel that shows us how thrilling comic book films can ultimately be.
April 30, 2016
MELHOR FILME PUTA QUE PARIL
May 18, 2014
Smarter, darker and better than Batman begins. Everything what comic book movie should be. It has amazing perfomances, great action and story. One of greatest (comic book) movies.
February 6, 2011
One of the best adaptions of a superhero ever. Hands down. No other director has been able to meet my expectations and exceed it other than Christopher Nolan. All the actors in this are oscar worthy. All of them see fit their character perfectly and Heath Ledger KILLED it as the Joker. Every movie i watch from Christopher Nolan's brilliant mind, laid out on the big screen is an absolute masterpiece. No doubt about it, this movie is the best movie ive had the pleasure to experience, as many others have, and the best movie ever made in my lifetime. This is how a movie should be made. Lets see how Nolan will out do this movie with his next (The Dark Knight Rises). I sure hope so and have full confidence in him that he will. 10/10
½ December 22, 2015
The Dark Knight indeed does the Batman series justice, and delivers what is possibly one of the greatest superhero movies ever made.
½ April 25, 2016
Very solid follow up.
½ April 24, 2016
It is not a conventional superhero movie. It hardly has any special effects to boast off like any other superhero movie. But what makes it so compelling and intriguing is it's treatment. It is one of the most entertaining movies of action-crime-thriller genre. The Joker is menacing, the Batman is rock solid as he should be and a string of very important and well etched characters with a terrific plot makes this movie surreal. Christopher Nolan has invigorated a franchise which looked dead but he has to work out of his skin to make his announced closure of the trilogy meet anywhere near the standards that he raised so high.
April 24, 2016
This movie was great because it appeals to a generation that has a hard time focusing on things. It has a complex enough plot with complicated characters that keep the viewer engaged. The psychotic nature of the film makes it fun for more mature viewers in particular.
April 23, 2016
It's pure magic and it may be my favourite movie of all time.
April 22, 2016
My favorite movie of all time. Perfectly acted, perfectly written. 100 out of 100.
July 17, 2008
I'm most certainly going to be made the target of public scorn ( and possibly flat-out dismissal from many ) for saying this, but... I'm sorry, folks: The Dark Knight just simply isn't what it's been hyped up to be. While the film is certainly peppered with movie magic here n' there, The Dark Knight has hiccups in basically all of your major areas, such as pacing, writing, directing, and acting. Something else to add to its list of faults is the fact that the last act of the movie is, to put it simply, an over-stylized SNOOZE-FEST that's requires too large of a stretch of belief for THIS viewer ( comic book movie or not ).

With all that said, as I mentioned before, there IS some magic littered throughout the film. There are some very interesting concepts concerning morality and sacrifice that we've never really seen in a comic book movie before The Dark Knight. There's a level of realism in The Dark Knight that has to be appreciated. Also, some of the film's twists and turns are particularly clever when you look at the overall simplicity of the plot. Though Christopher Nolan doesn't really know how to shoot a fight sequence very well at all, many of the action sequences most certainly deliver in the thrills department. Even furthermore, while I still feel that Heath Ledger was by no means the perfect choice for the Joker, he definitely turns in an incredible, believable, and career-defining performance. The Joker steals most every scene he's in, and some of his segments are genuinely chilling. [ Side note: Heath Ledger was not a better Joker than Jack Nicholson. Jack Nicholson was not a better Joker than Heath Ledger. Both actors approached the role in a different way, and both have ways in which they are superior over the other. For example: I would've LOVED to see more twisted humor in The Dark Knight. Jack Nicholson was creepy AND hilarious. I felt like the Joker in The Dark Knight should've been cackling at his own evil deeds a little bit more. You can't beat some of Jack's one-liners and kooky behavior in Tim Burton's Batman. ]

The Dark Knight is quite an accomplishment. It's hard-hitting, it's immersive ( though laggy at some points ), and often quite thought-provoking. However, it's not a film without flaws. A film this ambitious that aspires to be more than the average super-hero action film should be looked at with the same level of scrutiny as any other drama. It's definitely easy to recommend, but don't be sucked in to the hype! 3 stars.
April 21, 2016
Nolan has managed to make a superhero movie one of the best movies ever while creating one of the best movie characters, aka the Joker, who is made possible because of Heath Ledgers remarkable acting talent. Great screenplay is met with great directing and perfectly composed music. I wouldn't give this movie anything less from a perfect rating.