The Dark Knight Reviews

August 12, 2015
Dark, flawless, well acted, and will stand the test of time.
July 5, 2013
Possibly one of the best movies of all time in my honest opinion, plus it is intellectually engaging. What more could you ask for?
August 8, 2015
A very well planned Batman film ever made with smart scenes and amazing actors with their roles and skills.
½ August 8, 2015
Christian Bale is able to bring two characters to life (Batman, Bruce Wayne) The movie is terrific, the action is great with incredible action scenes and the cast is excellent especially Heath ledger and Bale, an Absolute astonishing movie that will go down in history!!!!!!!!!!
August 8, 2015
One of my all time favourite movie. Heath Ledger had a breathtakingly brilliant performance as The Joker. Christopher Nolan I salute you.
½ July 11, 2015
It's good.But the Joker origins is wrong and there is a blond Two-Face!
August 7, 2015
Heath Ledger's incredible acting and portrayal of the Joker is what mad this movie suck a success and outstanding in the the theaters.
August 7, 2015
My thoughts on "The Dark Knight" - I found it extremely disappointing. The story had so much potential, but instead it feels as though our beloved childhood characters have been dragged through mud. This is not a comment on the actors, but a comment on a mangled screenplay that was more like a draft, a movie that couldn't decide on its genre and didn't want to be compared to it's comic book roots.

The thing about this movie was that it had some truly great lines and great scenes but an presented with an overall image of some kind of Frankenstein's monster. As if the best scenes had been pilfered from several different movies and strung together with great expectations and a hope for something wonderful only to come away with something ugly. I'm not sure if anyone else will agree with me, or even see what i'm talking about... But this wasn't batman. This was an unfortunate shade.
½ June 10, 2015
This is one of my favorites!
September 22, 2014
still...the best Batman movie ever and Heath Ledger's Joker - a GODSEND!!!!!
½ August 6, 2015
Great performances all around, especially the portrayal of the Joker by Heath Ledger
August 5, 2015
I see why some like it enough for an Oscar. but I have no desire to rewatch it ever, and I disliked the ending;
August 5, 2015
Maybe the best comicbook Movie of all Time.
September 11, 2007
Just how good is the Dark Knight? The Dark Knight may hold characters from a comic book, it may even have that marketing and that public awareness the comic book brings but it is no more a comic book Movie than it is a psychological thriller, or even 'crime epic'! The Dark Knight ranks among the greatest crime films ever made, notably HEAT, in its brilliantly conceived and executed construction and deconstruction of character, purpose and the destructive force of chaos to even the strongest of souls. This is an extremely well written character study and there are levels here that no comic book film has the right to expect. However, it is not brilliant because of this alone but because it does so many things right in the one package. It is great because it manages to be a comic book film at the same time, exciting us with spectacles and the fantasy of a world that seems so real that it parallels with this one brilliantly. This parallel is where the magic really exists. Because it is here that we discover that what this film is is a study of our 'own' ideals and morals and the heroes and villains are simply a means to show our exaggerated ends in constant battle for our souls. The experience of watching this film is one that questions the viewers self at every turn. Just when you think you have figured these people out and with it have the answers to your darkest fears, you are left with darker questions that are very frightening to contemplate. And how does this work so well? The script is great yes, the direction is focussed and the story and plot all work to place the pinpoint perfectly at the centre to press it all home. But it is this pinpoint that takes the film to the very top. The pinpoint is Heath Ledger. What a fantastic performance he gives. Convincing and frighteningly twisted, the mannerisms are the work of someone who is clearly in his element. To retain a human persona devoid of humanity is a dark place to go and for a character we actually learn little about in terms of physicality and history we see a complete "existence" within this film that requires nothing else but sheer brilliance to make it work. Without this performance the film still would have worked - yes, but the power of the ideas would not have been as intense. No single line is missed, no moment he is on screen is weak and you know that everyone's attention is fixed during these moments. Heath Ledger indeed steals the show. This is not to say that the rest of the cast are not worthy. In any other film the performances on show would be very good but against Ledger's Joker they cannot compete, but they are all well executed characters and the cast is all on top form. The only failings are in technical areas. Some of the editing is a little too fast early on and Nolan's direction of action sequences is still in question as the scale does lack on occasion to wow us but these are far too minor to take away from what is otherwise possibly the most perfect comic book adaptation ever made and arguably the best crime thriller ever made too.
August 3, 2015
The question is how can a batman movie be this good?
½ July 23, 2013
best comic book movie to date
½ July 30, 2015
According to IMDb; the dark knight is better the apocalypse now,
citizen Kane, raging bull and 2001: a space odyssey and the forth
greatest film of all time. I think anyone with any understanding of film can see this is completely crazy. I don't hate this movie and I quite enjoyed it but it's very far from being any kind of masterpiece.

When destructing Christopher Nolan's movie's I like to use David Fincher's terminology; Fincher theory is that there are films then there are movies. A film is using cinema as art and not just entertainment, such as; the godfather, mirror, There will be blood. A movie would be something of a guilty pleasure: the game, the raid, the dark knight.

So then why is it the dark knight is so popular? Nolan separates his movies from the average blockbuster by giving them a sense of realism and reliability. The most obvious example of this is his very limited use of CGI and use of practical effects. At a time when CGI is common use in most blockbusters as it is cheaper and easier; you can see how audiences can be awed by this.

Probably the thing that most separates his movies; is how he chooses to
make the viewer feel empowered. Where most Batman and superhero
villains have been cliché and even cheesy; In the dark knight (and the
other dark knight movies) the villains feel a lot more like modern day
terrorists then the average comic book villain. Post 911 you can
imagine the impact this can have on people and the realism it gives.
Though in Nolan's determination to make the viewer feel empowered he
sacrifices making the dark knight anything more then a movie; he makes everything extremely obvious and doesn't leave anything for the viewer to work out for themselves.

At times it can even be patronizing. During the part of the
movie where people are being killed until batman takes off his mask; he
is constantly being blamed by everyone, even one of the officers does so. I think this is a testament to how much Nolan trusts he's audience and how painstakingly obvious he thinks he has to make everything to get a point across.

Even within expectations of it being a Nolan super hero movie, the dark knight still has faults. The main one being how anti climatic the ending of the movie was, I was expecting some kind of big send off for the joker but instead his send off was brief and unsatisfying. There's also the many the plot holes but I don't have anything new to say on that.

In short Nolan offers somewhat charming comic book movie, that has all his usual traits; good and bad. And despite it's charm, at it's core it's a rather one dimensional Hollywood blockbuster; with the popcorn audience as it's target demographic. It may be the "greatest super hero movie of all time" but that doesn't mean a lot.
½ June 18, 2012
Thrilling with constant suspense, The Dark Knight is possibly the greatest superhero movie of all time striking new boundary to the genre!
July 5, 2015
An Simply Outstanding film. The Joker's performance is so on point by Heath ledger it's unbelievable. A lot of people say this movie is very long but the only time wasted are in very short scenes like the hong kong bit, other than that, this movie was incredible....a ground breaking achievement in cinema history.
July 30, 2015
Much like the critics consensus, this film not only succeeds at being one of the best comic book movies of all time, but it's also pretty great at being a crime thriller. And, it contains one frightening villain in Heath Ledger's Joker.