Critic Review - Hollywood Reporter

Big-time Hollywood filmmaking at its most massively accomplished, this last installment of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy makes everything in the rival Marvel universe look thoroughly silly and childish.

July 16, 2012 Full Review Source: Hollywood Reporter | Comments (70)
Hollywood Reporter
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Patrick Brickhouse

Patrick Brickhouse

FIRST! Sorry, I had to. This was a great review from McCarthy. So PUMPED now!

Jul 16 - 05:16 AM

Patrick Brickhouse

Patrick Brickhouse

FIRST! Sorry, I had to. This was a great review from McCarthy. So PUMPED now!

Jul 16 - 05:16 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

Love how you trash Marvel, awesome review!

Jul 16 - 05:22 AM

Mugorozi Kuri

Mugorozi Kuri

Alfred will die, that is the big plot twist every critic is? excited about. good review though

Jul 16 - 05:34 AM

Caats

Chris S

Y'know, you're officially the biggest idiot on the internet.

Jul 16 - 06:01 AM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

UMADBRO

Jul 16 - 06:19 AM

Saurav Dhungana

Saurav Dhungana

TOO MANY SPOILERS! don't read!

Jul 16 - 05:38 AM

bleak5170

Dan Theman

Seriously. I'm glad the movie is getting such good reviews, but avoid this one like the plague unless you want the entire thing ruined for you. Waaaaaaay too many spoilers.

Jul 16 - 05:41 AM

Saurav Dhungana

Saurav Dhungana

Ya same here and a guy above (MK A) already wrote a spoiler in the comments as well -_-

Jul 16 - 05:47 AM

Mikey Tota

Mikey Tota

thanks for letting me know dude! I've read enough spoilers as it is

Jul 16 - 10:14 AM

Edd Jefferson

Edd Jefferson

Must be pretty impressive then, seeing as almost all recent marvel efforts have been solidly good films.

Jul 16 - 05:46 AM

Pierre Jutras

Pierre Jutras

Is it because he speaks with a raspy voice and tries to look mysterious that Batman is less silly and childish than Spider-Man? The bottom line is, a guy wearing a costume is a guy wearing a costume...

Jul 16 - 05:47 AM

Geraldo R.

Geraldo Rivera

He wears that costume because it's bulletproof and has a lot of gagets that he can use to fight crime with. Not like the other superheroes who wear costumes just to look good. He speaks with a raspy voice to cover his identity.

Jul 16 - 06:03 AM

Gustavo

Gustavo Filgueiras

So the mask with the "bat-horns" is to protect his giant ears right?

Jul 16 - 09:03 AM

Tom Martin

Tom Martin

remember that they are to hear through walls. batman begins explains the ears

Jul 16 - 09:17 AM

Cagnazzo82

Eric Agbre

Right. Except, if he were in Marvel, he'd have used those billions to buy himself an actual full suit that fully protects his body... and allows him to fly... and fire missiles and beams.

Rather than fighting hand to hand, and hoping no one gets off a shot in face :-S

Oh, and did I mention supersonic flight, rather than gliding with a batcape??

Jul 16 - 11:10 AM

Chris D.

Chris David

Well for one thing Nolan Is trying to ground the hero into the most realistic setting he can, and the ironman suit you are desribing is so rediculously advanced it changes the movie from an action drama to a sci-fi futuristic movie.
Secondly Tony Stark doesn't give a crap about killing the bad guys, he is a pretty much the same as them, so he goes ahead and packs his suit full of lasers and rockets. Bruce doesn't want to kill anyone, so he uses his training in martial arts an ninjitsu to be stealth like, and subdue the enemy. A true hero not just a vigilante or egotistical narcacistic playboy

Jul 16 - 05:15 PM

Gustavo

Gustavo Filgueiras

Bruce doesn't want to kill anyone, so he let the bad guys live to they kill more innocent people after. That is truly heroic.

Jul 16 - 05:29 PM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

Im sorry did Spiderman get his date for the prom? I fell asleep before the end.

Jul 16 - 06:20 AM

Thomas Ashton

Thomas Ashton

AYOOOO ZING!

Jul 16 - 07:34 AM

Troy Sims

Troy Sims

Sucks for you.

Jul 16 - 08:55 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

Jul 16 - 07:20 AM

Ole Opperud

Ole Opperud

Wow... And this from the same critic that didn't care much for Batman Begins back in 2005. That's high praise indeed!

Jul 16 - 05:50 AM

James S.

James Sig

Well, Batman Begins is highly inferior to what comes after it.

Jul 16 - 06:17 AM

Blip

Kim Kaliszewski

Except for "Inception" and that grotesquely overblown mess, "The Dark Knight." Oh, wait....

Jul 16 - 07:21 AM

SolarisDeschain

Andrew Cook

Ohhh shit! We got a hipster over here!

Jul 16 - 09:49 AM

Lance Reeder

Lance Reeder

Why does one have to fall for another to rise? Can't they just both be good in their own way?

Jul 16 - 05:51 AM

Movie Fail

Soren Hough

Exactly. I hate when people do this - it feels like it's just stroking the fanboy ego.

Jul 16 - 06:27 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

Agreed.

Jul 16 - 06:30 AM

Dustin Gonzalez

Dustin Gonzalez

No, just no. We can't all be friends with both universe . Ugh, Marvel has been doing a great job with what they wanted to accomplish. Maybe not every single movie is great. But have you seen xmen. Not childish. But good review though I'm really getting more excited. But I guess your right. Just by the trailers it makes Marvel seem like they have childish movies, so sad.

Jul 16 - 05:56 AM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

This.

Jul 16 - 06:24 AM

Cody C.

Cody Clark

Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't children like superheroes? I see nothing wrong with watching a film that makes u feel like a kid again.

Jul 16 - 06:45 AM

Dustin Gonzalez

Dustin Gonzalez

Well of course, so it should be the same with batman. But lots of people wouldn't say that

Jul 16 - 08:34 AM

Chris D.

Chris David

Well you got Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, those are right up your ally

Jul 16 - 05:17 PM

Reese Decker

Reese Decker

DON'T READ THIS - SPOILERS!

Jul 16 - 05:58 AM

Ed Keefe

Ed Keefe

Dont read the review till after you see the movie. Its nothing more than a outline of the movie. I, luckily, stopped myself from finishing the article once I realized what was happening. Terrible way to review a film by laying out what happens.

Jul 16 - 06:32 AM

Cagnazzo82

Eric Agbre

Thanks. Glad I didn't read it.

Jul 16 - 11:12 AM

Dictator Fred

Dictator Fred

I'm so glad that The Dark Knight Rises is going to be great, but please don't diss Marvel. The Avengers is currently my favorite comic book movie, but on Friday, things might change.

Jul 16 - 06:36 AM

Cody C.

Cody Clark

Yea I think that shot at marvel films was totally unnecessary. Say what u will, but marvel has been making MUCH better films than WB/DC ever since I can remember (with the exception of this batman franchise of course). After this film, its downhill from here for DC.

Jul 16 - 06:41 AM

Caats

Chris S

Yeah but the Batman movies are so much better than anything the Marvel "phase 1" movies have been. I think marvel movies are solid B movies. I don't think they put enough care into their Thor and Captain America movies though. Thor was better than Cap, but still, it was strictly average. Cap was mediocre and wasted a good opportunity.

Iron Man II was a waste and just an extended lead in to Avengers, which was obviously pretty awesome. But when Marvel's movies stop just being rehashes of Iron Man 1, i won't be able to think of them as anything but fluff. I'd watch Amazing Spider-Man again before any of the marvel movies (cept avengers).

Jul 16 - 06:58 AM

Marc Hanz

Marc Hanz

solid B-Movies. Are u fucking serious? Batman is better than Thor or Cap or IM-2 but this doesnt make them "soldi B Movies"...

and this DC Fanboys vs. Marvel Fanboys thing from the nerds is really annoying. I enjoy every movie.

Jul 16 - 07:10 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

bull....Watchman and V for Vendetta are much better than anything Marvel has put out.....unless you're 12 years old....than I understand your point of view.....

Jul 16 - 07:24 AM

Warren Mitchell

Warren Mitchell

the theatrical release of watchmen was crap. and marvels films aim for escapism, rather than commentaries about the real world. nothing wrong with that. are you gonna tell me indiana jones and the raiders of the lost ark is for 12 year olds too?

Jul 16 - 07:38 AM

Warren Mitchell

Warren Mitchell

lol at the marvel vs dc nerds. sort yourselves out. and how is this bloke a professional movie critic? his review reads more like some fan wetting his pants and giving away spoilers to his buddies.

Jul 16 - 07:20 AM

Alexander Sutikno

Alexander Sutikno

Finally, a great critic. TDKR Rules!!

Jul 16 - 07:47 AM

Facebook User

Facebook User

I know people are gonna start taking a hissy fit here but I got to say it that I think the batman movies are horribly predictable and boring as shit. There were some decent frames in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (had potential) but overall I just don't get the hype. I do appreciate the fact that they took the franchise in a grittier, darker direction which lends the material a bit of a new life with a touch of realism to it but if I have to hear Christian Bale speak with his ridiculous throaty growl whilst dressed up in full on rubber man outfit I will rip my ears off. Now, before all you die hards frothing at the mouth to slice me up into so many little tiny morsels start hacking away I have no aversion to comic book movies. Gary Oldman and Christian Bale are two of my favourite actors. Heath Ledger is amazing as well. His effort in Monsters Ball was extraordinary. I like Nolan too; enjoyed the hell of out Inception (overrated though... heh). And I DO have high hopes for this film. And I will gladly shell out the funds and watch it. The previous just haven't impressed me or entertained me. I will allow that it may be a case of what I want the film to be - so really what I feel I'm missing. Could be. But I don't think so. They're not poorly made films by any stretch they're just....bland. Ok let fly.

Jul 16 - 08:12 AM

zinc alloy

zinc alloy

yawn....like you're worth it....

Jul 16 - 12:02 PM

Johnny Ross

Johnny Ross

This pretty much sums up how i feel as well.

Jul 16 - 01:20 PM

THGhost

THGhost .

Where is this so-called "1 rotten review"? I can't find it and the score is at 94%...

Jul 16 - 08:20 AM

Geoffrey K.

Geoffrey Kemp

I'm disappointed at how quickly we lost the perfect 100% :(

Jul 16 - 08:30 AM

Geoffrey K.

Geoffrey Kemp

My prediction is this ends up 75%-85% given some critics say it's slightly disappointing.

Jul 16 - 08:38 AM

Justin Isett

Justin Isett

Where are these critics?

Jul 16 - 10:28 AM

Jase Lee

Jase Lee

Lots of spoilers, be careful. Well written-review.

Jul 16 - 08:42 AM