Weekly Ketchup: Actresses Read for The Dark Knight Rises

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes news about a number of movies with similar titles: The Dark Knight Rises, The Magic Kingdom, Dark Moon and the title that ties them all together, Wes Anderson's Moon Rise Kingdom. There are also movies based on the wizard Merlin, the BBC TV series Walking with Dinosaurs, the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and adaptations of both Akira and 21 Jump Street. Back to Article

Comments

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

talia should be in this new batman that would rule

Nov 12 - 09:48 PM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Totally agree! She epitomizes the Love interest / Villain role so common in Batman's rogues gallery, but without all the needless sluttiness of similar characters found in James Bond movies.

Nov 13 - 07:06 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Magic Kingdom sounds like a Disney "Night at the Museum."

For Dark Knight Rises: I really don't care which female characters are going to be in it, I just want the movie to be good.

Nov 12 - 10:04 PM

scarletwebslingr

Harrison Foreman

What it sounds like is the Disney/Ridley Pearson novel, "Kingdom Keepers" which was published a year before "Night at the Museum" was released.

Nov 13 - 08:28 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Really? Cause i thought it was just a movie version of Kingdom Hearts, the video game with all the Disney characters....and while we're on the subject, why does Disney keep using the word "Kingdom" in everything?

Nov 13 - 12:32 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Oh God, not Kingdom Hearts.

Nov 13 - 03:35 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

Let's be real, female characters are just there in Nolan's Batman movies, but they don't really add anything. Find a blowup doll to play Wayne's love interest, the movie won't miss a beat.

Nov 14 - 04:04 PM

Daniel O.

Daniel OReilly

It would seem like one of those roles would have to be Catwoman, and I too think Marion Cotillard would be good for it, though I wouldn't complain much about any of the above mentioned actresses.

We do not need any more found footage films.

Nov 12 - 10:31 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Anybody else notice that we get more news at the Weekly Ketchup these days then we do all week.

Nov 12 - 10:59 PM

Jeff Giles

Jeff Giles

Most of these were posted to the news section earlier in the week, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Nov 15 - 04:04 AM

merrygoround

Josh Hoffman

I agree, one will be Talia

Nov 12 - 11:33 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

At last they acknowledge Talia! This is probably the first board with others actually talking about her with an interest in seeing her in the film. And I mean that literally.

Nov 13 - 05:52 AM

Jason B.

Jason Black

I could see Blake Lively or Natalie Portman as Harley Quinn (though I'm not sure Blake has the energy to pull that off). Possibly Anne Hathaway or Keira Knightly but I think the former actresses could pull it off better.

Ugh, if they do go with Catwoman, they NEED to consider Thandie Newton! She would be like a modern day Ertha Kitt and she would RULE at the part. She's sexy, sophisticated, a great actress and she could definitely pull off a female counterpoint to Bruce Wayne that I feel Katie Holmes and Maggie Gyllenhaal both failed to pull off in the previous films.

I've never heard of Akira but hopefully if Zac Efron gets casted for that movie, they'll stop the rumors that he'll get casted in Death Note. Ugh, he'd ruin it, no question.

Nov 13 - 12:20 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Death Note is dog turd compared to Akira, which is often named the best anime of all time.

Nov 13 - 12:50 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Death Note was the greatest anime ever created until they fast forwarded a couple of years and started the EXACT same story line over with newer characters. I swear, i don't really care if it was faithful to the manga, they should've left that part about Near & Mello out all together.

Nov 13 - 07:03 AM

Arekusandora

Alexandra Borrero

Death Note is too overrated. Can't stand it, really. There are a lot of anime out there way better.

Nov 13 - 07:45 AM

August M.

Agustin Macias

I agree with you Arekusandora, there are WAY better anime than Death Note. My favorite is Evangelion.

Nov 14 - 08:53 AM

scarletwebslingr

Harrison Foreman

Again, I really think Talia Al Ghul is who they are scouting for. As far as live action anime is concerned, as long as the live-action Cowboy Bebop stays on ice, I'm happy. Like action Akira sounds little more than an excuse to release an explosive diarrhea of 3D. And I'm tired of everything being "reimagined" in New York. Keep it Japan. Keep it a R-rating. Or better yet... just don't do it.

Nov 13 - 08:33 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I think Thandie Newton's a very good choice for Catwoman. But I sense they would never go that way because of the Halle Berry debacle -- I imagine they'd think that another half white-half black actress would immediately remind audiences of Berry.
Also, on a side note, I would cringe if they trotted out another "doomed mulatto" caricature.

Nov 13 - 12:17 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Which is a bullship copout, you ask me. Because, for one, Halle Berry was not the problem with that film; it was the writing. And for two, it is nonsensical at best and borderline racist at worst to, in a cesspool of bad comic book films, blame that one on the actress. If they bother to focus on the story, which we can always expect from Nolan and co., instead of putting all their efforts into making the lead look hot, then they'll end with an adequate portrayal.

Nov 13 - 12:58 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I agree it's a complete cop-out, but Hollywood's full of that -- very conservative, very touchy, very much money-driven "ideas" and little else. But Hollywood has a history of such behavior, especially when it comes to minority actors and actresses.
I also agree that Berry wasn't the problem. Problems covered that movie from top to bottom, side to side.
I do wish that Hollywood wouldn't base so much of its casting on race, but they do, whether people want to admit it or not.
There's just too much politics in Hollywood (racial politics included).
I do think that Nolan could do wonders with Thandie Newton in a lead role of some sort, but I doubt it'd happen.
Of the six "finalists" named, I don't think, overall, that they're very good looking. What is it with Nolan and so-so looking actresses? Katie Holmes wasn't bad looking, but was too young, and Gyllenhaal was just flat-out wrong.

Nov 13 - 02:49 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Explain her performance as Storm then please. Not saying the writings not bad on Catwoman, but think people tend to credit Berry as a better actress than she is because of one oscar winning performance. She's hit and miss at best.

Nov 14 - 05:38 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I'll submit that yes, that is a strange habit of Nolan's. But why only in his Batman series? His female casting was fine in The Prestige and Inception (Ellen Page is growing on me), but then when it's time for Batman casting it's like he yells off set, "Ok.. Bring in the gimp!" lol

Nov 14 - 06:59 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I agree. I don't know what it is with Nolan and his female choices in the Batman series. From the beginning, I feel someone behind the scenes at Warner Bros. is pulling the strings.
That's why Katie Holmes was cast -- she was on Dawson's Creek, which is a Warner Bros. property. Someone said, hey, we'll pull in the Dawson's Creek viewing demographic if we cast Holmes.
Then, with Gyllenhaal, again, it's as if because of her ties to Jake Gyllenhaal, and her ethnic/religious background, she was cast despite not fitting the role.
The casting of female roles in Nolan's other movies just seem fine to me. While I wasn't exactly enamored by Ellen Page's performance in Inception, she still fit the role. Her character is supposed to be a wet-behind-the-ears newbie.
And, yes, the female casting in Prestige was just fine.
But Batman/Dark Knight?
I look to Lord of the Rings and its perfect casting in EVERY single role; from the biggest to the smallest, I wouldn't change one choice.
And, yet, Nolan only has to pick a couple handful of actors and he just can't do it when it comes to the female leads. What gives?

Nov 14 - 10:44 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Lol...Page in Inception is the only good casting decision of Nolan's career!!!

Not one other person he has cast has been right for the role he put them in...hell with the exceptions of Caine, Freeman, Page, Watts and Jackman I can't even think of an actor he's cast who actually had any talent.

Nov 14 - 04:33 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

'I can't even think of an actor he's cast who actually had any talent.'

Here, let me try:

Guy Pearce, Carrie Anne Moss, Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard, Rebecca Hall, JGL, Robin Williams, Liam Neeson, Tom Wilkinson, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe

They may not be great but they have some talent amongst them ;)

Nov 15 - 01:36 AM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Directed by Albert and Allen Hughes (From Hell, The Book of Eli) and Zach Effron....ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WARNERS? FUCK YOU!

Nov 13 - 12:49 AM

Nov 14 - 08:53 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nov 13 - 05:52 AM

scarletwebslingr

Harrison Foreman

I personally love the idea of Magic Kingdom. I think it's about time Mickey and the gang did something major. Last we saw them on the big screen was Goofy Movie and that went well enough.

Nov 13 - 07:02 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

Nov 13 - 07:06 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel