Weekly Ketchup: Actresses Read for The Dark Knight Rises

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes news about a number of movies with similar titles: The Dark Knight Rises, The Magic Kingdom, Dark Moon and the title that ties them all together, Wes Anderson's Moon Rise Kingdom. There are also movies based on the wizard Merlin, the BBC TV series Walking with Dinosaurs, the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and adaptations of both Akira and 21 Jump Street. Back to Article

Comments

dyl p.

dyl perron

There is going to be a sequel of the dark night?Why.

Nov 14 - 06:54 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Bad to worse? Are we talking looks or the actress' actual talent? Because if we're talking the former, we're talking on a level beneath Nolan's sophistication and mature vision for this franchise. If we're talking the latter, Nolan did exactly right; going with a more talented actress.

Nov 14 - 06:55 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I'll start by saying, using bad to describe Holmes wasn't the right word (cursed lack of edit button -- I knew immediately after posting it wasn't what I wanted to say, but anyway...)
Holmes wasn't right in the sense of her age level, her younger looks and her acting ability.
While, yes, Gyllenhaal is a better actress, her looks didn't fit the role, and she lacked chemistry with Bale.
So, with Holmes, you hit it right on the head: she just plain didn't fit in with the maturity and skills of the great actors surrounding her.
Gyllenhaal was supposed to play a good-looking character; good-looking is one thing she is not, at least not in the way required of the Rachel Dawes character.
There are plenty of actresses out there with acting skills and beauty. And now, looking at the rumored six in contention for the next Dark Knight movie, I sense Nolan (or the powers that be in Hollywood) are once again going to choose the wrong actresses.

Nov 14 - 10:39 AM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Stepping Razor. Katie Holmes was actually pretty good in Begins. Maggie G in the Dark Knight didn't really play the character the same way, and she also didn't come off as very sexy, but I would blame that on the wardrobe staff, cuz she has potential to be hot, especially when she's blonde. Nolan is one of my favorite directors, but Ive noticed that he doesn't focus as much on his women character developement in his films. The point of view is usually male while the females are featured in the supporting cast. That's not neccessarily a bad thing however cuz making women main characters can become irritating. there jobs are to be there and be hot and read there lines whether they are ready or not.

Nov 14 - 08:58 PM

Yoni G.

Yoni Gottlieb

i am not comfortable with zac efron being in akira
and does anyone agree with me that the dark knight rises is not such a creative name for the movie
it should still be really good nolan is an amazing filmaker

Nov 14 - 06:56 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Yes. Atrocious title! And Zac, while he has the look, in indeed a poor choice for Akira. However. It's still up to the writers to get the story right. That's the main link. And then of course, the direction. And they could do a hell of a lot worse than the Hughes Brothers.

Nov 14 - 07:04 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

While the title does leave a lot left to be desired, if it is anything to go by at least we know that we can expect this film to end positively for Bruce in some way. I dont know I could be reading into the 'Rises' part of the title way too much lol

Nov 15 - 01:54 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

I'll submit that yes, that is a strange habit of Nolan's. But why only in his Batman series? His female casting was fine in The Prestige and Inception (Ellen Page is growing on me), but then when it's time for Batman casting it's like he yells off set, "Ok.. Bring in the gimp!" lol

Nov 14 - 06:59 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

I agree. I don't know what it is with Nolan and his female choices in the Batman series. From the beginning, I feel someone behind the scenes at Warner Bros. is pulling the strings.
That's why Katie Holmes was cast -- she was on Dawson's Creek, which is a Warner Bros. property. Someone said, hey, we'll pull in the Dawson's Creek viewing demographic if we cast Holmes.
Then, with Gyllenhaal, again, it's as if because of her ties to Jake Gyllenhaal, and her ethnic/religious background, she was cast despite not fitting the role.
The casting of female roles in Nolan's other movies just seem fine to me. While I wasn't exactly enamored by Ellen Page's performance in Inception, she still fit the role. Her character is supposed to be a wet-behind-the-ears newbie.
And, yes, the female casting in Prestige was just fine.
But Batman/Dark Knight?
I look to Lord of the Rings and its perfect casting in EVERY single role; from the biggest to the smallest, I wouldn't change one choice.
And, yet, Nolan only has to pick a couple handful of actors and he just can't do it when it comes to the female leads. What gives?

Nov 14 - 10:44 AM

mjprogue

Mike PArker

Lol...Page in Inception is the only good casting decision of Nolan's career!!!

Not one other person he has cast has been right for the role he put them in...hell with the exceptions of Caine, Freeman, Page, Watts and Jackman I can't even think of an actor he's cast who actually had any talent.

Nov 14 - 04:33 PM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

'I can't even think of an actor he's cast who actually had any talent.'

Here, let me try:

Guy Pearce, Carrie Anne Moss, Tom Hardy, Marion Cottilard, Rebecca Hall, JGL, Robin Williams, Liam Neeson, Tom Wilkinson, Cillian Murphy, Ken Watanabe

They may not be great but they have some talent amongst them ;)

Nov 15 - 01:36 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

It's possible the guy simply has a great eye for talent but fucked up taste in women. lol

Nov 14 - 07:02 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Unreasonable call Mata lol.

Nov 15 - 01:51 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

@Matanuki, how are Nolan's relationships with women in his personal life? Hmmmmm... Perhaps something Freudian is going on in his casting of actresses. :)

Nov 15 - 02:35 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Nov 14 - 07:04 AM

BLaCKWoLF

BLaCKWoLF .

Nov 15 - 01:54 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup