Total Recall: Batman Movies

Summary

The Masked Manhunter. The Caped Crusader. Bats. You know who we're talking about, film fans, and chances are you've had this Friday circled on your calendar since Warner Bros. announced that July 20, 2012 was the day The Dark Knight Rises would be arriving in theaters. The conclusion of Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, Rises is one of the year's most anticipated releases, and in honor of this momentous occasion, we decided to dedicate this week's list to a (mostly) fond look back at the Bat in all of his cinematic guises. With the Bat-signal blazing, it's time for Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Q: "What weighs six ounces, sits in a tree, and is very dangerous?"

A: "A sparrow with a machine gun!"

Jul 19 - 09:12 AM

rle4lunch

Chad W

My wife quotes this ridiculous line all the time. That's quite possibly the most insane thing Robin ever said.

Jul 19 - 01:57 PM

Luke Vader

Luke Vader

The Nolan Batman films are far better than any of the old ones, IMO. There's no comparison.

Jul 19 - 09:13 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Linda B Regulating ;}

Jul 19 - 09:18 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

the cartoons owns the movies

Jul 19 - 10:02 AM

manwithoutfear19

Daniel Raimondi

begins is the best out of the movies

Jul 19 - 10:05 AM

Ian Foster

Ian Foster

I've been hearing she is one of the best performances in the whole movie.

Jul 19 - 10:21 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

She is.

The OP is just a hater.

Jul 20 - 02:42 PM

Devin Stevens

Devin Stevens

Wow what an awful list..

Jul 19 - 10:24 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Quality Facebook input.

Jul 19 - 11:00 AM

Devin Stevens

Devin Stevens

you missed one..

Jul 19 - 10:26 AM

John Weber

John Weber

Which one? I was only doing the ones that were listed no this article. Just have one ranking gone because I have RETURNS and FOREVER down as a tie.

Jul 19 - 03:59 PM

Devin Stevens

Devin Stevens

Ahh, didnt see that, my bad!

Jul 20 - 10:37 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Quality Facebook input.

Jul 19 - 11:00 AM

Tom C.

Tom Carter

Quite honestly with the Schumacher Batman movies, there were some parts in it that were at least somewhat decent. For instance, I thought Jim Carrey as Riddler and Uma Thurman and Poison Ivy were by FAR the best things in their respective movies, mainly for the fact that I think they realized that Schumacher was going on a campy route and not taking this to seriously (as Burton had done earlier)...

Jul 19 - 11:27 AM

Keoki H.

Keoki Harrington

Good to see people actually see Begins as the better movie. I enjoyed Dark Knight as much as anyone, even saw it 5 times in the theater for the love of the Joker on screen(a favorite villain of mine, also loved Nicholson's take). But after 5 times, all the other huge kinks in the movie as a whole came glaring through.
I honestly think most people were mesmerized by Ledgers performance, and were able to discount or ignore all of DK's outstanding flaws. I certainly did on the 1st watch.
Batman Begins on the other hand, was virtually flawless in it's execution as a film. It didn't have the pop of the "Joker", but it didn't need it. It formed the mythos of the comic hero on film just right.

Jul 19 - 11:52 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I know it's not necessarily cool to like what's popular, but I still enjoyed TDK a ton more than Batman Begins. BB's was a good movie and a nice way to kick off the series, but judgy Katie Holmes, awkward teenage Bruce and an underutilized Liam Neeson and Ken Watanabe can't compete with the grand scope of TDK, Ledger's powerhouse performance and the all around superior action and suspense choreography. There's nothing in BB's that competes with the Hong Kong abduction, The Bank robbery or the semi-flip for action or teh interrogation scene, any of the Joker scenes or the end sequence for drama and suspense.

Jul 19 - 05:05 PM

reavus4983

Mike Saxton

Just rewatched Begins and DK and can't decide which is better. Begins is a perfect origin story, but the thematic euphoria in DK is unmatched. Begins also is more enjoyable as a popcorn movie which is frankly what I go to Batman movies for, but DK is a near perfect drama. Begins loses some points though for the relative corny humor it actually has a lot of that I'd forgotten (Gordon in the Tumbler was cringe-worthy); but DK loses points for dragging and having the quickest action scenes possible, and for way too little focus on Batman/Wayne. Begins also really did a great job of showing the detective angle that wasn't in any of the previous movies. But if TDKR can finally combine the popcorn with the drama, it'll be the Batman movie I've been waiting to see.

Also have to admit that I rewatched Batman and Robin recently too--and I could not stop laughing. Camp classic.

Jul 19 - 11:59 AM

Keoki H.

Keoki Harrington

My one problem with his masking voice was when he uses it around people who already knows hes Bruce Wayne. Speaking to Lucius Fox about the Sonar System near the end of Dark Knight. All I could think was, "Why are you talking to Lucius like that? He knows who you are..." :p

Jul 19 - 12:15 PM

Keoki H.

Keoki Harrington

And when was it clarified in either film that he's using a "modulator" vs just altering his voice manually? Never caught that......

Jul 19 - 12:19 PM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

Let me address both of your points:
1. Great point. Great point. You got me there, totally unravelled my theory. Now I look like an idiot, thanks a lot :)
2. I didn't know about the "modulator" either--I was just taking it for granted since it was brought up.

Jul 19 - 12:21 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

I'd say he's staying in character. If sometimes he speaks like Batman, and sometimes he doesn't, he could slip up one time. So, every time he dons the suit, no matter who he's talking with, he uses the Bat voice.

It's like an actor - some of them stay in character on the set, etc, not just during filming.

Jul 20 - 05:43 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I actually think Nolan had already answered that question in Prestige. In both cases, you have a person who is so committed to the character/illusion that he creates that he basically becomes that character/illusion even when he doesn't need to.

Also, I'm probably in the minority but I actually liked the growling. It really helped Batman come off as unhumnan and therefore much more menacing.

Jul 20 - 11:18 AM

Keoki H.

Keoki Harrington

Jul 19 - 12:19 PM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

Let me address both of your points:

Jul 19 - 12:21 PM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

Look...I think most of us would agree that when we critique Batman Begins and Dark Knight, we're being really picky (not that there's anything wrong with that!) Both were fantastic. I prefer Batman Begins, but I can see how split everybody can be on it. My reasons are simple: Dark Knight is overlong and uses some pretty standard/conventional devices. (Like the two ships with the detonators on them) The movie got a little away from Nolan and it broke up the pacing a little bit. That's my problem.
Dark Knight had an incrdible, iconic villain...one of the VERY BEST IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA, and arguably one of the top 5 or so villains on film of all time. Ledger is the glue that held the whole film together.
And though many people have recognized this fact, that's the WHOLE point! Batman Begins did not have an iconic, "blow you out of the theater" villain/performance. It didn't have outstanding action sequences (on par with Tranformers, Avengers, etc.) All it had was a compelling story, masterfully told, and great performances/characters. That, to me, is what made the difference. Batman Begins was Nolan's show...Dark Knight was Ledger's. Both are great, but I give the slightest edge to Batman Begins. It got the trilogy going so that Dark Knight could go on cruise control just a little in the story telling department.
Now, of course, that's all just my opinion.

Jul 19 - 12:29 PM

Elijah P.

Elijah Pierson

My list:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Mask of the Phantasm
4. Batman
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman Forever
7. My ex
8. Batman and Robin

I havent seen the 1966 Batman. Though I will soon. I assume TDKR will end up #2.

Jul 19 - 01:05 PM

Lyn Adams

Lyn Adams

Agreed, I'm really shocked at how low (though still fresh) rating "Batman" has. I love that movie, and always will!

Jul 19 - 01:12 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I saw Batman at a special WB screening before it came out and disliked so much that I thought it would surely bomb.

Understand that the whole audience booed at the end so it wasn't just me.

Sometimes its just the vibe. That time the vibe wasn't good.

That said, I still don't care for it that much today but have always enjoyed batman Returns.

Jul 20 - 02:38 PM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships