AFI Top 10 Films of 2012

Summary

The American Film Institute has released its ten-best films of 2012 list. Honorees include The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained and Zero Dark Thirty. Back to Article

Comments

Gimhana Fernando

Gimhana Fernando

Decent list,but I still don't see how TDKR is a top 10 movie.

Dec 11 - 02:17 AM

Taylor Quenneville

Taylor Quenneville

The inclusion of "The Dark Knight Rises" makes this list a farce.

Dec 11 - 02:40 AM

George Patchell

George Patchell

I heard the author liked it too, and said the ending was just very different apparently. Also while I love The Prestige, for me i'd put Nolan's movies in this order:

1) The Dark Knight
2) Memento
3) The Prestige
4) Inception
5) Following

Then Insomnia, TDKR and Batman Begins are not ranked but are all very good.

Dec 11 - 03:25 AM

Ben Ziemke

Ben Ziemke

Looper anyone?

Dec 11 - 03:45 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I know right?!?!

Dec 11 - 12:20 PM

Shane Wallick

Shane Wallick

The Dark Knight Rises was included here because of its tremendous ambition. I, like many others, prefer The Dark Knight over TDKR, but that doesn't mean TDKR wasn't a great film. This is a list of the best films of 2012, and it deserves its place here. And for my list of best Nolan films:

1. The Dark Knight
2. Memento
3. Inception
4. The Prestige
5. The Dark Knight Rises

Followed closely by Following, Batman Begins, and Insomnia. Nolan, to his credit, has never made anything close to a bad film. And TDKR is no exception.

Dec 11 - 04:58 AM

James De Bello

James De Bello

Gotta agree on this list guys, maybe some movies didn't make it to the top then but would have definetly made the top 20, yet as a top ten list this one is really good!

Dec 11 - 05:20 AM

Robert T.

Robert Tiemstra

Stating as someone who saw Django Unchained, I absolutely believe it deserves to be there. It is one of the best films of the year. Can't speak for Les Mis.

Dec 11 - 05:33 AM

Christian Michaels

Christian Michaels

I actually liked TDKR over TDK. I haven't really broken down TDKR yet, but after going over TDK I've found a lot of silly editing flaws that are few in TDKR. For instance, after the Joker takes over the flat during the fundraiser for Dent and Batman jumps off the roof to save Rachel, what happens to the Joker and his crew? That's an easy question to answer but Nolan didn't for some reason, I'm guessing ignorance. And there's several of those in TDK, but the only one I can really find in TDKR is the impracticality of Batman taking the time to paint that flammable bat sign over the bridge.

Dec 11 - 05:43 AM

Chad Anderson

Chad Anderson

No love for Cabin in the Woods? I wasn't expecting to see it here, since it is pretty much everything AFI is against, but it was truly one of the best films of the year.

Dec 11 - 06:38 AM

Cole Jaeger

Cole Jaeger

Les Miz will go up in it's rating. It should end up well into the 80's. ZDT will stay in the high 90's and I think Django will be somewhere from mid to high 80's. But really they should have swapped DKR with The Master. If there are 10 nominees for the Oscars this year, it will be all of these -DKR +The Master.

Dec 11 - 06:46 AM

Casey Lock

Casey Lock

You're an idiot...you really think this holds the same authorship as moonrise kingdom, silver linings or the sessions. I love TDKR but calling it a great film is just putting Nolan on a pedastal. Any movie with that many plot errors can't be on any list for that reason alone.

Dec 11 - 06:54 AM

Ole Opperud

Ole Opperud

I guess we're all idiots... Oh wait, that's right - you wrote the book on good taste in movies, didn't you?

Dec 11 - 09:18 AM

Voice O. Reason

Voice O'Reason

TDKR is easily better than Moonrise Kingdom--one of Anderson's weaker films.

Jan 19 - 01:54 AM

Brendan Crowgey

Brendan Crowgey

The prestige sucks. This list is okay, other than the fact that Django hasn't been released anywhere yet. So although we all know it will be good, why are we going to say its already the best? And honestly The Master needs to replace one of these; Lincoln, I'm looking at you.

Dec 11 - 06:54 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Replace Life of Pi. Lincoln was amazing.

Dec 11 - 12:20 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Both were amazing.

Dec 12 - 02:44 PM

Zane M.

Zane Morrow

This is a good list, thank for getting The Dark Knight Rises in here and not snubbing it. Argo, Lincoln, Moonrise Kingdom, Silver Linings Playbook, and The Dark Knight Rises are a great selection.

Dec 11 - 07:08 AM

Jared C.

Jared Christenson

it's a great movie. have you watched it, or did you look at it? it's a legendary classic. timeless. needs appreciation.

Dec 11 - 07:15 AM

Ricardo Leal

Ricardo Leal

Good joke! ;-)

Dec 11 - 07:31 AM

Ricardo Leal

Ricardo Leal

The Hunger Games was the best blockbuster film IMO.

Dec 11 - 07:32 AM

gammellm

Mike Gammell

I really hope Zero Dark Thirty doesn't take home the Oscar like the overrated Hurt Locker did

Dec 11 - 07:44 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I agree. Hurt Locker was terrible in my opinion.

Dec 11 - 12:21 PM

Dave J

Dave J

What you're suggesting is that you have seen a better desert storm movie than "The Hurt Locker" because that's BS!

Dec 12 - 04:06 PM

Dave J

Dave J

And you haven't even seen "Zero Dark Thirty" yet you personally know that it's still a shitty movie regardless, then you must be a Republican!

Dec 13 - 12:31 PM

gammellm

Mike Gammell

I respectfully disagree. While I admit that I enjoy comic book-based movies, I thought even Inception was better than Prestige.

Dec 11 - 07:45 AM

Sam Hennigh

Sam Hennigh

It's up there because it came out this year, The Prestige didn't.

Dec 11 - 08:25 AM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Pictures of great movie apes

Gone Girl Trailer