Total Recall: Surprising Oscar Nominations and Snubs

Summary

Watching the Academy Awards is a perfectly fine way to spend an evening, but let's face it: Half the fun of the Oscars is trying to predict who'll win, and the other half is bellyaching about who wasn't even nominated. It's in that spirit that we assembled this week's list -- looking back over the last few decades of Oscardom, plenty of worthy films have been honored, but just as many (if not more) have seen their contributions to cinema unfairly overlooked in favor of some rather questionable nominations. Obviously, this is meant to be a conversation starter rather than a complete list, but hey -- that's what the comments are for. Let's Total Recall! Back to Article

Comments

William J.

William Johnsten

Ponyo should have been nominated for Animated Feature. It was better than The Princes and the Frog (though I did like that movie still).

Feb 20 - 07:20 PM

Jack Burton

Drew Last Name

I enjoyed the Princess and the Frog animation. I don't get the Ponyo love. The noses on the characters in Ponyo are not well drawn. There's some sort of pacman thing going on while characters speak. Reminds me of the Pokemon cartoons my kid watches.

Feb 21 - 06:25 AM

Dawn Havard

Dawn Havard

I love just about all of Miyazaki's work but I think Ponyo was the weakest movie he has made thus far. It just meandered until it ended.

Feb 21 - 06:57 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

I have never seen Ponyo. But I loved Princess Mononoke so so much. Nausicaa is also a favorite for me.

Feb 21 - 08:21 AM

banditwhore

carl latin

i thought the same about Howl's Moving Castle, now that was definitely his weakest film.

Feb 21 - 02:55 PM

Robert Lindsay

Robert Lindsay

What about this year's "The Secret World of Arrietty" from Studio Ghibli? The critics and audiences who saw it loved it! And yet it gets passed over in the "Best Animated Film" category in favor of "Frankenweenie" and Wreck-It Ralph?" The Academy has no class!

Feb 22 - 03:57 PM

Leigh Samuels

Leigh Samuels

I didn't see Ponyo because of Noah Cyrus. The Princess and the Frog is a great film that is probably way better than Ponyo

Feb 21 - 09:29 AM

Nicholas Moore

Nicholas Moore

I thought she did a fine job. I don't know who Noah Cyrus is, though I'm guessing she's on some kind of kids show or something, but she made Ponyo a really hyperactively adorable character, though that was only half of what made it adorable.

Feb 23 - 11:46 AM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

Ponyo was a great film. However, I am one who has liked all of the Studio Ghibli films in some way or another. It's not the best of the bunch (that will probably always be Spirited Away) it certainly deserves credit on the merits of its animation alone. :)

May 24 - 07:36 AM

Rocky Road Taylor

Rocky Road Taylor

Meh, Ponyo was pretty flat.

But I do personally think that of the 5 eligible films for Best Animated Film that year, Up was easily the weakest.

Feb 21 - 12:58 PM

Tim Elliot

I think it's a dumb list. It's like he's making an issue out of nothing.

Yeah, Ponyo might have been a good choice, the nominated films deserved it was well...

Up,
Coraline,
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells

Feb 23 - 07:51 PM

monkey  p.

monkey pox

The Harry Potter films were soooo snubbed in their respective years, especially Deathly Hallows Part 2. That final film was so impactful and emotional for so many people, critics and fans alike, it should have been nominated and won Best Picture last year. shows how much the Academy knows...but they ain't everything. They completely snubbed Ben Affleck this year for Best Director shame on them...then again its all a matter of opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean something is any better than something else. It doesn't determine if your great at what you do, it helps, but truly it doesn't. It's all a matter of opinion.

Feb 20 - 07:23 PM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

Harry Potter could've won in 2012, that's for sure. However, the Academy already gave the British film industry its night of glory in 2011 with The King's Speech, so they decided to honor the French cinema (with the surprise smash-hit "The Artist") instead. Although I appreciated "The Artist", I still don't understand the whole brouhaha which surrounded it back in 2011-2012...

Feb 20 - 07:53 PM

Udayan Majumdar

Udayan Majumdar

even i am yet to understand such a hoopla over "the artist",even though it was nice and interestingly surprising but not an Oscar material, and i hoped Gary old man would win for his wonderful performance in tinker tailor solider spy rather than jean dujardin in artist.

Feb 20 - 10:09 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

leo got snubbed...Samuel got snubbed...avengers was snubbed... dark knight rises partly...

Feb 20 - 10:35 PM

Nicolás Dau

Nicolás Dau

Avengers is nominated... TDKR isn't.

Feb 20 - 10:48 PM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Avengers were snubbed??? Color me shocked. Avengers was a mediocre comic-action film. Snubbed would be The Master or Moonrise Kingdom or Robot & Frank....TDKR wasn't half the film that TDK was. And 4 of the 8 harry potter films were better than both the avengers and TDKR.

Feb 21 - 01:49 PM

ReverendBenzo

Ben Norwood

I agree. I was very surprised that The Master wasn't nominated. Also, the Avengers was so corny and overproduced that mediocre doesn't even cover it.

Feb 23 - 04:38 AM

Don Drzal

Don Drzal

Are you kidding me, It is all about unforgettable movies! Avengers and Harry Potter does just that! Every movie nominated for best Picture combined totals doesn't even come close to avengers!

Feb 23 - 09:09 AM

Don Drzal

Don Drzal

Which movi makes you want to see it? Any of the Best picture nominated or Harry Potter DH2, Avengers, Twilight Breaking Dawn, Skyfall, Dark Knight Rises all of the summer blockbusters got snubbed! I say Boycott the OSCARS until they start nominating films that people want to see!!!!!!

Feb 23 - 09:13 AM

Tim Elliot

Avengers wasn't snubbed. It's nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects. Considering the competition, I thought that was a good showing.

Feb 24 - 03:34 PM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

Gladiator's win for Best Picture alone is enough for me to not take the "Acadamy" seriously.

May 24 - 07:39 AM

Saim Cheeda

Saim Cheeda

I boycotted the oscars last year because Harry Potter wasnt nominated!

Feb 21 - 03:38 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The last three Harry Potters sucked...

Feb 21 - 05:39 AM

Dave M.

Dave Mart

Finally!

Feb 21 - 01:11 PM

Matt Behr

Matt Behr

yeah I'm sorry but none of the Harry Potters should have been nominated for Best Picture. The Lord of the Ring's series (excluding the hobbit) was more epic and derserving of its wins/nominations

Feb 22 - 12:07 PM

Don Drzal

Don Drzal

You guys are so wrong! Yes! The best Francise of all time Harry Potter which made almost 8 Billion dollars at the theater (as a franchise). Every Movie made over 750 million. If that many people is willing to watch Harry Potter can't you give credit to where credit is due! Or are you guys like the .5% that actually watch the oscar nominated films that nobody wants to see or their charcaters are unforgettable.!

Feb 23 - 09:16 AM

Mac

Joe Jarosz

Listen, I support films that aren't afraid to push boundaries and stand up for what they believe in. But to say the last 3 HP's sucked....hardly. They were very well done, very well adapted and the acting was great. HP and LOTR will live on forever...

Feb 24 - 01:54 PM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

Don, I understand that money really does matter, but the fact of the matter is: It shouldn't. Not at all. An award should be given on merit of the films achievements, thematically, visualy, sound, acting, directing etc etc. The fact that the Harry Potter series has made a boatload of cash should be no basis for an award of any kind. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed the HP movies for what they were and towards the end they got better, put HP against LOTR and there is no competition whatsoever. Not to mention the fact that the "Acadamy" has snubbed and given the middle finger to so many deserving films (short, feature length, all genres) that the concept of an "Acadamy Award" is laughable. :/

May 24 - 07:43 AM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

And, if your argument is to be believed, then the Twilight series should also be a high ranking contender, and that alone is enough for me to stop listening.

May 24 - 07:45 AM

Zeke Teke

Zeke Teke

Harry Potter in general is good, not great. Just because you love something doesn't mean it is better than other movies out there.

Feb 21 - 08:23 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Amen. People need to read and understand that statement.

Feb 21 - 12:53 PM

Jason Lalljee

Jason Lalljee

Hello? Are you not reading your own contradiction? WHY do you think that people love these movies so much? BECAUSE they feel they are so good. You can't feel sentimentality over something without the love in the first place... by snubbing the films the Academy failed to recognize the contribution of a series of films to the industry, and therefore lost all relevance.

Feb 21 - 02:20 PM

Dan M.

Dan Maclester

Haha @Jason Lalljee what a silly response. Zeke didn't say Harry Potter wasn't good, he said it wasn't great. Also if we apply your brilliant logic across the board we'd have to give Twilight an oscar too...many people love many awful movies (Harry Potter is not awful but you get the point)

Feb 21 - 03:13 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Children and their choice of best movies, sheesh!

Feb 21 - 04:25 PM

King  S.

King Simba

"Children and their choice of best movies, sheesh!"

So you'll passionately defend someone who likes Die Hard 5 and yet as soon as someone says they think Harry Potter are great movies you call them children?

Feb 21 - 11:19 PM

Susan Pfleiderer

Susan Pfleiderer

Harry Potter was great many people think so. I just saw Midnight in Paris. And while cute, there was a LOT wrong and sloppy with that movie. Potter definitely deserved that nom. slot.

Feb 22 - 08:12 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Where on earth did I say Die Hard 5 deserved an award?

Regardless, it's not just children who think some of the Harry Potter films are great. They've all scored really high both with critics and audiences.

Feb 22 - 03:00 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Excuse me, no one is suggesting "Die Hard 5" should get any type of award except you! Now just because some people liked the movie- it's nothing more than 'guilty pleasure', can you say the same with the movies that you like as well!

Feb 22 - 03:01 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Idiot.

Feb 21 - 12:16 PM

Barry McCockener

Bard The Bowman

Deathly Hallows Part 2 was definitely the best entry in the groundbreaking series, and AT THE VERY LEAST it should have been nominated for Best Visual Effects. It also had a 96% tomato-meter score, which is extremely high for a big budget movie like that

Feb 21 - 10:01 PM

Tim Elliot

Your comment is stupid and misinformed.

It WAS nominated for Best Visual Effects.

Feb 23 - 07:54 PM

Tim Elliot

Sorry, "stupid" wasn't the right word.

Feb 23 - 08:02 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

Never boycott but if I did, that would have been my reason as well! Thanks for saying so!

Feb 22 - 09:38 AM

Leigh Samuels

Leigh Samuels

I agree with you. It should've won best visual effects over Hugo, which I'm pretty sure had no cool effects.

Feb 21 - 09:30 AM

Jason Sparks

Jason Sparks

I saw Hugo in 3d, and it was one of the best looking films I've ever seen. So in my opinion, you're wrong there. That was a great movie.

Feb 21 - 09:44 AM

Austin Arbutine

Austin Arbutine

wrong....wrong...wrongwrong... you're wrong.

Feb 21 - 10:16 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

If you didn't see Hugo, don't make comments that make you seem clueless.

Feb 21 - 12:55 PM

Susan Pfleiderer

Susan Pfleiderer

Hugo was beautiful. But Boring.

Feb 22 - 08:07 AM

Tim Elliot

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 was nominated for 3 Oscars. That's not particularly a snubbing.

Feb 23 - 07:56 PM

Dan O'Neill

Dan O'Neill

It's hard to argue some of these points because so many movies that were terrible and were nominated, were nominated for the dumbest and most meaningless crap like Best Sound Mixing, Visuals, and so on and so forth. I agree with most of you on what you feel like should have gotten nominated and it's still a surprise to me that some of them haven't gotten nominated ever, but it's hard to compare two, entirely different movies when they both excel at different elements of a movie. I don't know if this makes any sense whatsoever, but regardless, nice list and you have all definitely opened my eyes to some of the terrible snubs out there.

Feb 20 - 07:38 PM

Nick Castronuova

Nick Castronuova

I get what you're saying and agree with your logic, but really, sfx and sound mixing are meaningless crap? Way to spit at the people who worked hard on these movies just because their pretty faces weren't on the screen. And I guarantee each of them has accomplished a hell of a lot more than you ever will.

Feb 21 - 10:27 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Liked it until the personal jab, you were doing so well. Then you sank to his level.

Feb 21 - 12:56 PM

Matt Behr

Matt Behr

Yeah i wouldnt call any Academy Award crap, but I would say that Best picture, director, actor/actresses and either screenplay are the most prominent though

Feb 22 - 12:09 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

I agree Dan, it is hard to compare wildly different films and in some of the technical areas, and I often wonder how much about these areas the average movie-goer really knows about, I believe some people's opinions are swayed by their liking of the movie content or story. I remember in particular the film, '3:10 to Yuma' and sitting in the theatre noticing the sound editing, the incredible reality of perfectly timed bullets whizzing by, and thinking, oh! I get it! about sound. I have listened in a different way ever since really. And, being a musician for years, this surprised me, but soundtracks don't. There have been some terrible oversights in that category over the years! John Williams, I know this for a fact, I worked in the Music Dept. at USC, a fantastic wing built by Mr. Spielberg, and William Conti was teaching at the time and talked about a little movie, 'The Right Stuff', and how the original composer had heard a quieter, single guitar kind of score and had written all of it when about 3 weeks before the release date some producer was brought in for a viewing and was horrified! He had envisioned a more large scale, heroic brass band if you will musical background. Bill Conti was called in to 'fix' it and confided that though his name was on the Oscar, he had 13 composers working around the clock to get it ready, honestly he said, an orchestral score for a long movie in 3 weeks? And, getting back to John Williams, the same is very true for him, and personally, I often can't tell one movie score from the next and he has received the Oscar to me, by unthinking people who simply recognize his name. I will finish this little rant by saying, however you feel about this year's sequel to Guy Ritchie's 'Sherlock Holmes', Hans Zimmer's score is truly perfect for the movie, I can't overstate that enough. Well, there you go, yes it is hard to compare and all people in SAG can vote! I think in some cases, music should be judged by musicians or those that state they are qualified to remark, and this can apply in many areas.

Feb 22 - 10:16 AM

Tim Elliot

As George Lucas said, "The sound and music are 50% of the entertainment in a movie."

I think the meaningless category is the Animated Feature Film. I think animated films should compete for Best Picture.

Feb 24 - 01:46 AM

Tim Elliot

The terrible films they list were nominated for things that were actually good about the film.

Like, Clan of the Cave Bear. The makeup was good. They created a believable clan of Neanderthals.

Toys wasn't the best film, but the Costume design deserved a nomiation. Wolsky is good and his work was good (besides, he ended up winning two other Oscars for other films; as well as a life achievement award from his Costume guild).

Feb 24 - 01:58 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

2012: No Best Picture noms for "The Master" or "Moonrise Kingdom" or respective Director noms; no noms for "Holy Motors".

A year in infamy!!!

Feb 20 - 07:52 PM

Darian Dorafshar

Darian Dorafshar

Agree with all that, unfortunately the last point is not the fault of the academy, France put "The Intouchables" as it's film for Oscar contention, one of the silliest moves in the history of Cinema. Had Holy Motors been submitted to the Academy instead, this year would have gone down in history as a year where TWO Foreign Language Films were nominated for best picture, among many other awards.

Feb 20 - 09:41 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Ya, the lack of Moonrise Kingdom is fucked. I enjoyed it why more than Pi, Beasts, and/or (especially) Les Mis. It had all the art and craft of those films plus the ensemble. It should've been Oscar gold.

Feb 21 - 01:07 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Exactly.

Feb 21 - 12:17 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

Agreed Janson on 'Moonrise Kingdom', if it hadn't at least been nominated for best original screenplay I wouldn't have a hair left on my head! And if you were going to nominate a child, it seems to me they had a special category for this last year, I remember watching all the kids, I thought the 'had never before' actor who played the eldest son in 'The Tree of Life', Hunter McCracken, was amazing, but truly was humbled by young Thomas Horn's winning performance in 'ELAIC', an often misunderstood, unbelievably superb portrayal of a child his age at the far end of the scale of Asperger's Syndrome, I am a Special Education teacher and I have written about this fascinating and unique Autism category, (for lack of a better placement), was well deserved. But this year, please, the kids in Moonrise? Don't get me started! And so much more overlooked in one of my favourite movies of any year! Oh the hair, the hair!

Feb 22 - 10:58 AM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

I tried watching HOLY MOTORS and I was bored out of my fucking skull, so much I fell asleep at the 45 minute mark. Not going to give it another chance, either.

Feb 23 - 04:04 PM

Vincent Fissore

Vincent Fissore

Feb 20 - 07:53 PM

Udayan Majumdar

Udayan Majumdar

Feb 20 - 10:09 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

Feb 20 - 10:35 PM

Nicolás Dau

Nicolás Dau

Avengers is nominated... TDKR isn't.

Feb 20 - 10:48 PM

Feb 24 - 03:34 PM

Tre Oates

Tre Oates

May 24 - 07:39 AM

The Fox

What Does Da Foe Say?

Why not The Big Lebowski? The Academy is moronic... and yet, it still seems as if it's the 'most credible movie award' out there.

Feb 20 - 08:13 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

well, you know, that is just, like, your opinion, man.

Feb 21 - 12:17 PM

Barry McCockener

Bard The Bowman

The Dude does not abide with the academy, man

Feb 21 - 09:55 PM

Matt Behr

Matt Behr

3000 years of beautiful history from Moses to Sandy Koufax, you're goddamned fuckin' right I'm living in the past!

Feb 22 - 12:11 PM

Tim Elliot

To be fair, The Big Lebowski became a legend after it went on DVD. When it came out in theaters, only about 10 people saw it.

Feb 24 - 03:07 PM

Lawrence Garcia

Lawrence Garcia

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close should be on this list...

Feb 20 - 08:32 PM

Udayan Majumdar

Udayan Majumdar

absolutely correct...

Feb 20 - 10:11 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

I read that book and saw that movie, I disagree. I thought the book was a great tribute to Kurt Vonnegut and the movie a great tribute to hollywoods ridiculous interpretation of 9-11 tragedies no different than Remember me and the absolutely absurd World Trade Center.

Feb 21 - 12:02 AM

Emily Kane

Emily Kane

Kurt Vonnegut didn't write that book

Feb 21 - 04:42 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

"tribute" it was a tribute to Kurt Vonnegut you know since it ripped off so much of Slaughter House V. "tribute"

Feb 21 - 09:47 AM

Saetre

Saetre Saetre

Absolutely, that movie sucked.

Feb 21 - 10:25 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

See above, last year, you are right, great movie, and the two comments following the one about the Oscar 'seems' to be the most credible, didn't know what to respond to, loved the second one, and 'seems' is the word to underline here, most of the public watches, but most would agree it lost its credibility with viewers anyway, sometime ago, dude!

Feb 22 - 11:05 AM

Tom Carter

Tom Carter

Yea, it is surprising checking this list out. To me, though, what I'm seeing is nominees in minor categories. Some of the makeup and the score in these nominated movies may have actually been good. Besides, I wouldn't hate too much on Click, even though there were some bad things about that movie, it really is one of Sandler's better ones. It is a shame, though, that ones like Reservoir Dogs and Casino Royale didn't get nominations. I'd love to see a list of Actors RT thinks should've gotten an Oscar nod for a movie they were in.

Feb 20 - 08:50 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

Agree Tom with many of your comments, not sure but I think RT does make some kind of shoulda coulda woulda list that you would like to see. However, can't leave your comment on Adam Sandler alone, and I am aware it is my personal opinion dude, but it reminded me a little of a comment made in a group picking a movie to go to years ago, someone mentioned something and the room got a little quiet, and the person said, 'well it's supposed to be the best Tom Selleck movie so far'. Well, Mr. Selleck has improved of late, but I am afraid, for me, that Mr. Sandler is as bad as he ever was and to say a particular movie of his was a shade better than another, well, the bar is pretty low on that one and I'm sure even 'Beavis and Butt-head' have scaled that height with room to spare!

Feb 22 - 11:19 AM

Tim Elliot

While I'm not a fan of Adam Sandler, I think he deserved the recognition he got for his acting in Punch-Drunk Love.

Feb 24 - 03:12 PM

Paul Robinson

Paul Robinson

I find this to be a very strange list. Elements such as sound editing, visual effects and many others are crucial to the overall quality of a film and I think are very deserving of their categories in the Academy Awards. The quality of one of a film's components is not determined by the overall quality of the film; a film can be absolutely terrible but feature excellent sound editing for example. Regardless of their overall quality films such as Poseidon and Transformers 2, they had excellent visual effects. Should their visual effects artists not be rewarded because the films were not up to the same quality? There is no doubt in my mind that Transformers 2 deserved that nomination, just as it deserves the multiple Razzies it took home. I really liked Moon and The Damned United and I do think they were snubbed in many different categories but that doesn't change the quality of Transformers' effects.
Nominating a film for an award is not saying that it is a great film, it is saying that that component of the film was great.

Feb 20 - 09:00 PM

Pattie

Pattie Bessette

Absolutely agree, hope you read my comments that address this point exactly!

Feb 22 - 11:22 AM

Anthony Giunta

Anthony Giunta

Wow, HUGE snub to Moon and X-Men.

Feb 20 - 09:08 PM

Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Reservoir Dogs was really bad! So I agree with it not getting nominated.

Feb 20 - 09:39 PM

Zane B

Chum Chum

Bad because...?

Feb 21 - 07:48 AM

Sam Hennigh

Sam Hennigh

Please enlighten us in why this was bad, because I for one really enjoyed it.

Feb 21 - 09:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Piss on this turd".

Feb 21 - 05:10 PM

Jayson Moseley

Jayson Moseley

You probably don't get "tipping" either.

Feb 28 - 04:19 PM

Darian Dorafshar

Darian Dorafshar

Feb 20 - 09:41 PM

dggrhm

Doug Graham

The Academy has been 50/50 historically. Of course they were right about the big ones like Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, and The Bridge on the River Kwai,but nobody thinks that Ordinary People is better than Raging Bull or that How Green Was My Valley is better than Citizen Kane. Also Vertigo and Singin' In the Rain are both matchless classics and yet they weren't even nominated in their respective years. Oh, and even though Annie Hall is a better written film, sorry, it's not better than Star Wars. Popular taste always determines the classics and not necessarily the Academy.

Feb 20 - 09:46 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

How is ANNIE HALL, the greatest romantic comedy of all time, not as good as STAR WARS, an outer space opus which was (literally) saved in editing? Also I think ORDINARY PEOPLE is better than RAGING BULL, so suck it; technically speaking, they are both superior films, but I gave a shit about the characters in the former.

Feb 21 - 02:45 AM

dggrhm

Doug Graham

Because it (Star Wars) had a larger cultural impact. Don't get me wrong, I think Annie Hall is a great movie, but Star Wars changed movies; for good or ill it changed movies. That it was saved in editing is true but it goes to show how important editing is.

Feb 21 - 03:38 PM

Dick Travis

Mick Travis

Well said!

Feb 21 - 09:31 PM

Jayson Moseley

Jayson Moseley

"Star Wars" changed movies the same way "The Abyss" did, mostly in the special effects world. It didn't really offer much in narrative, and it certainly didn't invent or even possess any epic story-telling. I mean, the parts of the saga that resonate the most with fans (including myself) are really quite silly... a magical force called "The Force," or swords of light called "light sabers?" When you actually arrest your nostalgic feelings about the film and look at it objectively, the amount of laziness and lack of depth is profound. We weren't as impressed the second time around, which is why the prequels are viewed by many as pathetic.

Feb 28 - 04:41 PM

Shaun R.

Shaun Rodgers

This is a bit of an odd list. Movies that are bad get nominated for Oscars all the time for stuff like sound, music, and makeup. It would me more of a surprise nomination if these bad movies were nominated for like directing, best picture, actor, screenplay, one of the big 5. But comparing Hollow Man's visual effects Oscar to High Fidelity's screenplay snub is exactly like comparing Apples and Oranges.

Feb 20 - 09:52 PM

I agree.

I also think this list fails to consider the competition.

Sure, High Fidelity had a good screenplay, the actual nominated films were deserting as well: The Green Mile, The Insider, Election, The Cider House Rules and Talented Mr. Ripley.

Feb 24 - 03:27 PM

Udayan Majumdar

Udayan Majumdar

Feb 20 - 10:09 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

Feb 20 - 10:35 PM

Nicolás Dau

Nicolás Dau

Avengers is nominated... TDKR isn't.

Feb 20 - 10:48 PM

Udayan Majumdar

Udayan Majumdar

absolutely correct...

Feb 20 - 10:11 PM

Tony Stark

sam varma

Feb 20 - 10:35 PM

Nicolás Dau

Nicolás Dau

Avengers is nominated... TDKR isn't.

Feb 20 - 10:48 PM

Douglas Hryniuk

Douglas Hryniuk

The Lovely Bones still baffles me. All those bad reviews and it still gets a Supporting Actor nominations. I don't mind a bad film being nominated in the technical categories. But acting?

Feb 20 - 11:21 PM

Patrickman Orquia

Patrickman Orquia

have you seen it? Stanley Tucci was awesome in that, methinks.

Feb 21 - 01:59 AM

Tim Elliot

I agree. The movie might not have been good, but Stanley Tucci did a good job.

Feb 24 - 03:29 PM

Quigley Q.

Quigley Q.

I am legitimately amazed that "Groundhog Day" didn't get a nom for Best Original Screenplay. That just doesn't make any sense. At all.

Feb 20 - 11:54 PM

Patrickman Orquia

Patrickman Orquia

i agree.

Feb 21 - 01:59 AM

Austin Arbutine

Austin Arbutine

The Academy doesn't recognize good original comedy.

Feb 21 - 10:19 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

It was doomed when it was listed as romantic comedy. Academy was so wrong.

Feb 21 - 12:57 PM

Tim Elliot

I don't think "Groundhog Day" deserved it back then.

I think it's a case of us judging a movie by today's standards. It never started showing up on "best of" lists until the 2000s.

Sure, it had favorable reviews when it first came out, but not at the high level that it gets today.

Feb 24 - 03:45 PM