The Dark Knight Rises - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dark Knight Rises Reviews

The Gandiman
October 7, 2012
A perfect conclusion to one of the best trilogies in history, "The Dark Knight Rises" balances smarts, action and emotion with expert precision.

"Rises" may not be a great movie on its own. As a standalone story it feels incomplete and without the existence of the prior two chapters it would be vacant emotionally. "Rises" manages to also improve the stature of first entry "Batman Begins" and cements "The Dark Knight"'s status of one of the best superhero films in history.

Set eight years since the conclusion of "The Dark Knight", "Rises" finds Bruce Wayne in depressed hiding, still recovering from losing his true love and sacrificing his alter ego's reputation for the sake of Gotham City. But his sacrifice is only a temporary solution as there's terror threatening to rise and destroy Gotham City. Wayne/Batman is inspired to come out of hiding as a cat burglar awakens his libido and arouses his curiosity.

The story is not as strong as "The Dark Knight" was but the themes are connected and Nolan is able to complete his trilogy puzzle quite ably. Tom Hardy puts some affected touches on Bane, but it works.

"The Dark Knight Rises" ends one of the best superhero trilogies in dark but appropriate fashion.
½ August 29, 2012
Despite Wagnerian pretensions what arrives is a film awash in its own mythos, like a soul mumbling to itself in the dark ... which should suit the fans just fine. Effective performances, enough surprise cameos to charm, decent and fun writing, strong directorial vision, a bad guy up to Batman's standards (altho vocally muffled - what's up with that???), what's not to like? See it at IMAX for the full thundering effect, and there's a lot of thunder.
sanjurosamurai
July 23, 2012
The more time that passes, the worse I feel about this film. this film adds levitt and hathaway, two actors i love, but is really pretty bad. a dud to cap off what could have been a masterful trilogy.
garyX
½ July 19, 2012
Eight years after the death of Harvey Dent, a reclusive Bruce Wayne brings Batman out of retirement to combat a ruthless mercenary with an army of fanatical followers who hold the entire city of Gotham for ransom. I feel I have to begin this review by pointing out that The Dark Knight Rises is a beautifully crafted superhero blockbuster, because otherwise it's going to sound extremely negative! The problem for me is that this film is somewhat lacking in the "X Factor" that made the first two instalments seem so very special. Let's face it, Tom Hardy had an act that's basically impossible to follow but when the script touched on the moral ambiguity of the character of Bruce Wayne (that he's essentially a billionaire who goes around beating up poor people to maintain the establishment's status quo) I thought that Nolan had done it again. Unfortunately he chose not to explore the social implications, instead electing to hang a bomb over the heads of this "citizen's revolution" reducing Bane to another hostage taking thug instead of a radical revolutionary. I also think that removing Alfred and therefore much of the humanity and humour from the equation was a mistake and I would have liked a little more ambiguity (a la Inception) as to the fate of the character. Plus I could also point out that the story is basically Rocky III crossed with Star Wars with yet another generic race against time tacked onto the end. All of these complaints conspired to make me somewhat disappointed with the film, but I reiterate; this is only by the incredibly high standards that were set by the franchise. By any others, The Dark Rises is an excellent piece of entertainment and deserving of the highest praise as a fitting conclusion to a series that has single handedly raised the bar for the quality of mainstream cinema.
bbcfloridabound
October 31, 2013
Whats there to say its the very best Batman movie to date. 5 stars 10-30-13
puffchunk
August 20, 2013
Well. Bane was lots of fun. Unfortunately I can't give this movie the praise of the other two in the series since they made some cardinal sins against reality. Namely stupid Indiana Jones 4 stuff like driving an armored car off a 20 foot drop and walking out of the back without a scratch.
½ July 20, 2012
'The Dark Knight Rises' takes a seat at the adults table, while the Marvel franchises sit at the kiddy table. TDKR is dark, captivating, and entertaining to say the least. The action sequences are flawlessly executed, and the acting is in as high a gear as the batmobile. While this film is not 'The Dark Knight,' it's still an amazing addition to what quite possibly could be the greatest overall trilogy of all-time. Grade: B+
Mark Beckford
½ July 27, 2012
Rarely do I have as many mixed feelings and opinions after having seen The Dark Knight Rises. It felt epic. It was moving. It felt long. It worked well as a book-end to the trilogy. It felt forced.The performances were excellent. Anne Hathaway as Selena the Cat Woman. Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Blake, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and so on. The last 30 minutes were just fantastic, worth the previous two-plus hour wait. Better than the Batman Begins but fell short of Heath Ledger's Dark Knight (could that movie been as good without him?).Overall I think it suffered from being too grandiose by trying to do too much. The multiple acts didn't click together as they did in The Dark Knight. The suspension of disbelief was less "suspended" than utterly confounded ... how did Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) go from emaciated cripple to muscle-bound butt-kicker in one day?And the finale, while enjoyable, had so many twists and conveniences it would have made my head spin if I wasn't enjoying it so much. To be fair, I think the best way to judge The Dark Knight Rises is as an attempt to close an epic story-line with a focus on continuity between the three films, reinforcing Nolan's conflicting "hopeful nihilism" philosophy. I look forward to watching all three back-to-back to see his vision uninterrupted by tragic events and the passage of time.
½ February 13, 2013
½ September 15, 2011
The Dark Knight Rises is a satisfying conclusion to a fantastic trilogy of films. The film's first act starts out slow and confusing while introducing too many characters, but eventually fleshes out into a compelling and interesting story that ties up all loose ends and leads to a satisfying end.
½ July 21, 2010
Everything comes full circle in "The Dark Knight Rises," a monumental conclusion to Nolan's Batman legend. It's grim, it's sprawling, it's technically astounding; it's also the best in the series.
½ January 10, 2013
These blockbuster movies tend to be uncharacteristically long but this the Dark Knight trilogy has always been entertaining enough to handle it. That said, there's always the feeling you get after watching it that some parts were messy and surprisingly silly (Bale's low, rough Batman voice has always been ridiculous to me).
½ January 21, 2011
First off, it's not his imagination. Selina is there. Alfred quit before Bruce and Selina even met properly for the first time at all, he just sees her as a theif that stole his necklace, not a hint of romance. And Bruce has no further contact with Alfred after that. So out of all the people he would imagine Bruce with, no way would he would choose Selina. If he wanted to see Bruce's true happiness in that cafe, he would have pictured Rachel Dawes, who he knew Bruce loved. Second, One thing is nagging me here, a line from Batman Begins.. "The world is too small for a man like Bruce Wayne to disappear', spoken by Ra's Al Ghul. THEN, he was hiding out in a tibetan/asian prison, and he wasn't nearly as famous as he was later in life... just saying, they seemed to have left a lot of plot points and references that suggest a sequel is on the way,? and Morgan Freeman and Gary Oldman both said they have a feeling there might be another... there may be hope. The Robin thing was to show you that someone would would continue batman's legacy. Not to tell? you that they are making another movie. It's been stated numerous times that this is the conclusion of the batman trilogy.
December 27, 2010
26/12/2012 (VIDEO FILE)
½ December 22, 2012
The. Most. Overrated. Movie. Of. The. Year.
It's a somewhat entertaining one. Tom Hardy looks great as Bane, despite the fact he's inaudible for a good portion of the movie. Anne Hathaway is the ideal Catwoman. And Joseph Gordon-Levitt pretty much steals the show. But apart from that, the plot is just pointless. The set up is intriguing, as Bane's attack on the 1% raises a very interesting plot to create mass chaos by ridding the rich of all their wealth. But then you find out he just wants to blow up the city, and the last two thirds of The Dark Knight Rises is just a cliche ridden action movie about saving Gotham. We saw this already; it was called Batman Begins. The action scenes are completely uninspired. Plot holes are aplenty - how did he get back into Gotham? And the amount of contrived plot devices feel lifted from a film student's screenplay - of course Alfred's dream would come true. The film is fun in a mindless sort of way, but it's by far the weakest installment in the trilogy and a disappointing conclusion to what could have been the best movie trilogy ever made.
May 31, 2011
I'll be the first to admit this movie has flaws, but for me a 5 star movie is not constituted by something flawless because there is no such thing. No other movie this year has got my blood pumping and put my emotions through a roller coaster ride like Christopher Nolan's epic conclusion to his Batman saga. Where the Dark Knight was dark and depressing, The Dark Knight Rises is action-packed and full of redemption. I'm not saying that was a flaw in The Dark Knight (especially during the first watch), but after watching it so many times it can wear you down how dark it is. It is simply not as enjoyable of a movie to me than this one. The Dark Knight is certainly the best made Batman and superhero movie made to date, but The Dark Knight Rises to me takes everything that worked so far for Nolan and ratchets it up to 10. This is still thoughtful blockbuster film making, just with a more ambitious and epic scope than the previous two, which in itself will present some flaws the other two did not have. While there is no iconic Oscar worthy performance like that of Heath Ledger as the Joker, Tom Hardy as Bane is still great and the rest of the returning cast are as good as they have always been. The other newcomer, Anne Hathaway as Catwoman, is also good and keeps the film in the realistic tone that Nolan has established since Batman Begins. The Dark Knight Rises is not the best film in Nolan's Batman saga, but it is definitely my favorite.
rubystevens
½ November 29, 2012
had some fun with this! bit too long but that's a common failing of nolan's. still it kept my attention. for those questioning it's politics, when wasn't batman a fascist? really enjoyed anne hathaway as catwoman/batgirl, at least right up to that sappy happy ending....
½ November 6, 2011
(+) its very good for the end of this trilogy. even supporting characters has important role.

(-) Batman/Bruce Wayne becoming a weak character.

Still great movie to watch
½ May 25, 2011
Can't wait. Chris Nolan is a fine filmmaker and one of the few who can actually put anything of quality on the big screen. All other filmmakers, this means YOU! Step it up.
YodaMasterJedi