The Dead Reviews

½ June 14, 2015
Desert, desert, desert, some woods, more desert, zombies passing by non stop, kill a few, find fuel and water, partner dies, then he dies. The end
½ May 18, 2015
A nod to the old style 70's zombie flicks but the feel and action of this film were always a little off.
February 3, 2015
I'm not gonna lie, although I liked the movie, I was disappointed. Ti West makes horror movies that are "slow burners" with a big pay off at the end. The reason I mentioned this is because this is kinda what I think a Ti West zombie movie would be like. It's a very slow moving movie. However, it does not have a big pay off and the ending really bugged me because I'd sat there for an hour and forty minutes hoping for a spectacular ending to make the rest of the movie seem like it was worth the wait but I just didn't get it. The positives are that the movie is well written and directed. The acting is very good, and the movie takes time to develop the characters. Also this movie tries to differ from most other zombie movies, in the way that there is minimal action and most zombie movies are action packed but I applaud the Ford Brothers for trying to do something different. Finally, the setting of the movie is great and the cinematography really is superb.

In conclusion, I am not sure whether I would recommend this movie to people, I did kinda like it but I was very aware after watching it that I never wanted to watch it again and I will be selling my blu- ray copy of the movie. Disappointing but moderately entertaining and never boring.
January 22, 2015
A very different take on the zombie genre set in Africa, with gorgeous shots of that country, and full of very hairy moments of fright and suspense. Something wlse that I found interesting in this film is the idea that the zombie plague might be nature's way of getting rid of man, who is destroying the planet, a way to restore nature's balance that man has upset.
½ November 4, 2014
oki,hvis ei husker feil
August 5, 2014
Tuesday, August 5, 2014

(2011) The Dead
HORROR

Had this film cut out the begining and changed the end, I may have rated this film higher. The beginning showcases a group of passengers with one of them getting bitten by the so-called zombie virus, and instead of the crew just throwing that person out. They just sit there just letting this person run rampant causing the plane to crash which is the start of more things to happen. This idiotic and cliché scenario then dwells on a guy named, Brian Murphy( Rob Freeman) as he wakes up on some beach somewhere in Africa. And as convenient as it may seem, zombies are walking toward him. He equips himself with a handgun and some protective gear before he runs away since he only has so much ammo. By the time he stops by to a nearby village, he manages to find himself a small cheap pick up truck. And as he's driving away from this village, he finally gets stuck and just when you think he's about to get eaten, he's then saved by a African military soldier named, Daniel Dembele going AOWL(Absent Without Official Leave) who we find out is looking for his son who's assumed to be still alive. We find out more about Murphy such him being lieutenant and that his only function has to do with machinery equipment. We go with them on this journey.

Zombies looked realistic with an entirely new environment that sometimes seemed like you're watching a video game- one being a "Resident Evil" game. this pass is strictly for the bond between Daniel Dembele and Brian Murphy. Didn't care too much for the ending though.

2.5 out of 4 stars
July 30, 2014
Valiant effort, but way too slow! Needed more tension and actual fighting zombies for their lives - was pretty much just two guys driving through the desert! Sure, some beautiful/desolate scenery and it's different seeing African zombies with creepy white eyes, but not up there with the zombie classics
½ October 19, 2013
(49%)
A better than average zombie survival horror owing to its decent quality feel and good direction rather than anything new or inventive. Just about worth a watch for that reason alone, particularly if you happen to be a fan of zombie flicks, just don't expect too much in teams of anything new.
½ March 1, 2014
I Love Zombie Movies but I couldn't even finish this one. Don't waste your time. Move on to something else.
½ December 15, 2013
Predictable, By The Numbers, Zombie Fare--Dry and Mundane!!
½ October 28, 2013
very good movie focus more on people then zombie
½ October 20, 2013
I'm a fan of zombie movies, namely Romero's original trilogy. Haven't heard of this one before so I gave it a shot. Rob Freeman is a lieutenant who gets stuck in Africa during an outbreak. He friends a local military solider and they set off in a way to survive. There's not much more to this and that's a big reason why I couldn't get into this. I just didn't care if either succeeds or fails. In the end, not much happens. I like the look of the zombies in African plains was interesting.
½ June 23, 2013
An intelligent zombie movie with a good plot, good characters and good acting. The only silly thing in my mind is that even though it's set in the African wilderness, there always seems to be tons of zombies no matter where the main characters go.
June 2, 2013
I'm not much into zombie films but they seem to be everywhere (woop woop) so I only watch those that differ in any way from the pack. This indie was shot entirely in Africa, so there.
The directors use the continent's vast, awe-inspiring landscapes to great effect, turning this nicely into a sort of a road-movie. Camera work is great and so is the sound. Pace is a winner, alternating from limb-ripping carnage to sun-drenched hopelessness, with just a few bumps when the cliches make their inevitable appearance. These and the mostly weak casting are just about the only flaws.
The big stars are the zombies themselves - slow-moving (until they get too close), silent (until they get too close) and ever-present. Very old school.
It all adds up to a deliciously tense viewing with assorted buckets of blood.
Apparently, this was a pain to make. Thankfully, genre fans bought it in sufficient quantities to make it all worthwhile. If you are a horror fan, you should too.
May 3, 2013
Very drawn out and boring! Yes, the African landscape is beautiful, but that doesn't help here!
½ February 25, 2013
Lacking in emotion and dialogue. Upon hearing he has no family or country to return to, Lt. Murphy does not cry or respond in any normal way. The zombies were too clean. That's an hour and 45 minutes I'll never get back.
½ January 21, 2013
The Slowest zombies you've ever seen try to make mince meat out of an african soldier and an american soldier in a drawn out, boring, poorly acted film.
½ January 20, 2013
This movie is well made with nice scenery and good actors in a new type of zombie movie. Unfortunately, this movie bores you to sleep. If your looking for a lot of zombie gore and a fast paced plot, this movie is definitely not for you.
November 29, 2012
Un film de zombies très original qui apporte un peu de fraicheur dans ce genre saturé. La mise en scène met très bien en valeur le fait que les zombies sont partout...une invasion implacable et permanente sans répit.