• R, 1 hr. 38 min.

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Witches of East End: Season 2

The Deep Blue Sea Reviews

December 13, 2012
the story has been told better but Weisz gives a fantastic career best performance
August 30, 2014
Poetic, graceful and engrossing, ´The Deep Blue Sea´is one of the great anti-love stories ever put to modern screens. The almostic hypnotic verbose is melded and bolstered by our two magnetic leads and very human leads.
May 31, 2014
I stopped watching this after 20 minutes - it was very, very boring.
May 27, 2014
The Deep Blue Sea (Terence Davies, 2011)

Every review I have read of Terence Davies' 2011 effort The Deep Blue Sea has singled out the performance of Rachel Weisz. Deservedly so; Weisz comes as close to carrying this movie as she possibly can. Unfortunately, one performance does not a movie make, and there is far too much else going on here, most of it mediocre at best, to even be able to sit back and enjoy Weisz' performance, which probably should have netted her another Oscar nomination. Yes, she is that good. The film, however, is not. That this is a remake of Anatole Litvak's 1955 weepie of the same name (with Vivien Leigh in the role Weisz reprises here) should probably cause me to cut the film some slack, but somehow it doesn't.

Plot: Hester Collyer (Weisz, an Oscar winner for The Constant Gardner) is a woman seemingly bent on self-destruction. Trapped in a loveless marriage to a barrister (My Week with Marilyn's Simon Russell Beale), whose overbearing mother (Philomena's Barbara Jefford) typifies everything that is wrong with Stiff-Upper-Lip-Britdom, Hester flees into the arms of her husband's opposite, an impecunious chap named Freddie Page (Thor's Tom Hiddleston) whose glory days came during World War II and who is attempting to live off them. He can provide Hester with passion and little else, while her husband, Sir William, can do the opposite. Problem is, Hester is desperately unhappy with Freddie, but is unwilling to accept the contentment of her marriage. Thus, in the opening scene, she has decided to take her own life. Or did she really? The doctor who examines her after the fact condemns the attempt as ridiculous. This question, ultimately, drives the film; does Hester really want to die?

Weisz, as noted, plays the role to the hilt. And I realize this is about as YMMV a judgment as someone can pronounce on a movie, but there it is: that role did not ring true to me, not for one single frame of this movie. It might have played in the age of the weepie, but really, weren't we beyond sexual hysteria as a psychological diagnosis even in the fifties? Hester is a doormat, but she's a doormat with escape options. That she buries her head in the sand, and digs deeper every time those escape options are presented to her, does not inspire pathos, and it certainly does not inspire sympathy. Rather, by halfway through the movie she was inspiring the same extreme annoyance in me that she was in Freddie. That wshe was making me root for the gas to win is testament to Weisz' acting ability, but it doesn't say much for the movie as a whole. ** 1/2
May 31, 2012
Qué buenas actuaciones de parte de Weisz y Hiddleston, una pelí­cula cruda, como la realidad. And still a better love story than Twilight.
May 3, 2014
Well crafted and superbly acted by Rachel Weisz, this movie keeps the interest alive with a very deep character study of the psyche of a woman who harbors an impossibly unrequited love. Moments of bergmanian intensity and passionate flashbacks a la david lean are enriched by a stylish photography and an extraordinary music score. A wonderful visual experience.
Veronika C.
April 26, 2014
I would like to have Simon Russel Beale to read me bedtime stories. Such a beautiful voice!
April 18, 2014
Com um excelente desempenho por Rachel Weisz, "The Deep Blue Sea" é um visualmente deslumbrante, um conto melancolico da paixão subsumida
April 12, 2014
Un Melancólico relato de de pasión y amor
339z
April 11, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.....its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that rachel weisz, tom hiddleston (loki from the brilliant avengers movie), simon russell beale, ann mitchell, jolyon coy, play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/romance movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really sad moving film to watch.......i think that this is such a really well directed/written/acted movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that Barbara Jefford as Collyer's mother, Oliver Ford Davies as Hester's father were great throughout this movie.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch it is such a really powerful romance movie 2 watch.......i think that rachel weisz was absolultley brilliant throughout this movie.......i think that simon russell beale was fantastic throughout this movie........i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch as it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......i think that karl johnson was brilliant throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......i think that this is such a really well made drama movie 2 watch its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its such a really sad movie 2 watch but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch its such a really well written/acted/direcyed movie 2 watch its such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its so really well written it is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a really sad powerful drama movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie
April 9, 2014
Very slow dull movie unless you are really into pretentious, artsy, period pieces. A depressing story about a depressed woman with seemingly no way to change her life.
March 28, 2014
remake of a 1955 vivian leigh pic of the same name. this is one where i like both versions like 'waterloo bridge' i like both versions
March 12, 2014
Rachel Weisz lo es todo en esta película.
March 3, 2014
Highly-alike Neil Jordan's The End of the Affair, Rachel Weisz took over Julianne Moore's role brilliantly, only with more instability and sorrow in a profound way.
November 21, 2013
"She married the first man who proposed and loved the first one who wanted her".
lucy w.
February 8, 2014
Gorgeously filmed, acted and written. this adaptation of Rattigan's play is a beautiful film, dripping passion and melancholy in every scene. Rachel Weisz gives one of her best performances, relying so much on her eyes and her moods. A poetic, unforgettable and stunning drama.
January 30, 2014
Rachel Weisz acts well, and the film is evocative of time and place. However, there is excessive use of the tragic violin, sepia tones and soft aka blurred focus. Adapted from a play, it's about the characters and their relationships, and the times that they were living in. It didn't excite me.
January 11, 2014
Collyer's Mother (Barbara Jefford): Beware of passion, Hester. It always leads to something ugly.
Hester Collyer (Rachel Weisz): What would you replace it with?
Collyer's Mother (Barbara Jefford): A guarded enthusiasm. It's safer.

Brilliant! The cast were superb, especially Rachel Weisz who can make a character like Hester Collyer be infuriating, needy, and selfish one moment and then lost, vulnerable, fragile and sympathetic the next. She was absolutely enigmatic; you loved and hated her just the same! Tom Hiddleston was also wonderful (especially when Freddie leaves for Rio); everything that Freddie couldn't say in words, he spoke volumes with his eyes-- that was such a beautiful scene. It was interesting and refreshing how there were no clear heroes or villains in this film; the characters were multi-faceted and they were all flawed in some way, shape or form but all similarly trying to deal with their individual unhappiness the best they could. The pacing of this film was definitely a little glacial but the languidness just serves to enhance the overall tone of the film and each character's dissatisfaction with their lives. This film was definitely a bit more cerebral than most of the token-shoot-them-up-summer-blockbusters which tends to overcompensate for the lack of depth, content or acting by the enormity of the body count, property damage or explosions; this film actually encourages its audience to read between the lines, think for themselves and draw their own conclusions, instead of being spoon-fed answers.
May 8, 2012
I was curious about this one, because it's gotten mixed reviews. I personally lean more towards the positive side. This is an interesting story, brilliantly acted. Rachel Weisz killed it. I loved her performance. It was really engaging, which is a plus because I didn't like the character a whole lot. I found her really fickle, and it annoyed me how she was never satisfied. So while I may have never cared about the character, I still really enjoyed Weisz's portrayal of her. Tom Hiddleston was a great match for her. He was charming, charismatic, and then he would flip on a dime. He not only handled his character shifts, he nailed them. The two of them together are really nice, they really know how to take time in a scene. Which is going to sound contradictory to my next thought, but the pace of this was very slow. It meanders from scene to scene, which works some of the time, but other times, it made me doze off. But this still is a pretty good romance drama if that's what you're looking for.
January 5, 2014
What was the point, exactly? Who were we supposed to like? What?