The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

½ March 18, 2012
Featuring a bravura performance from Geoge Clooney, The Descendants is one of the best films of 2011 thanks to its heartfelt characters, touching story and piercing moments of emotional truth.
½ January 13, 2012
A predictable pseudo-indie drama lazily written by someone who seems to have no clue about real people's lives. It is constructed around many artificial conflicts and embarrassing moments of humor, centered on a group of pathetic characters that are hard to care about.
½ September 5, 2015
how to weigh betrayal against love, death against life? and how should we actually start to look at adulthood differently? - it could start any time, and does not have to mean getting dirty :)
½ August 30, 2015
Hyvä draama raskaasta aiheesta...
½ August 14, 2015
A different kind of movie. a refreshing break from action movies, or super hero movies, or movies about technology. an interesting glimpse into Hawaiian culture. Clooney was very convincing in the lead role. script was very well written. interesting and engaging characters. A very pleasurable viewing experience.
½ August 5, 2012
Humorous, touching, and heartbreaking, The Descendants is one of the finest films of the year, exploring the love of family and the sadness of moving on!
½ July 8, 2015
Another superb drama from Alexander Payne finds a neat balance of funny and somber moments, creating a beautiful and moving experience. Clooney is excellent as is the supporting cast lead by Shailene Woodley.
June 10, 2015
I LOVE THIS MOVIE. One of my favorites of the year. George Clooney is phenomenal as a father of two who finds out that his comatose wife was cheating on him before her accident. Alexander Payne brilliantly explores the bumps in life and the struggles of being a single parent. Shailene Woodley and Amara Miller are outrageous as Clooney's cursing, volatile daughters. Such a lovely, moving, hilarious family drama.
June 5, 2015
Let The Silence Fall By LiveWihtStyle
June 3, 2015
A movie that you don't want to end.
May 27, 2015
Clooney is an unlikely lawyer in Hawaii preparing for the deal of the century when his wife goes into a coma through an boating accident. What happens next, presented in a touching family drama kind of way, is the interpersonal family business of burying the dead, warts and all. Not bad, and a depiction of Hawaii not usually seen.
½ May 24, 2015
Wealthy people have it hard too. I found it hard to connect to this film. I remain unimpressed.
May 16, 2015
Ever have the mornings when you wake up still thinking about last night's movie? Well, I did with this movie. The Descendants is a heartfelt movie all the way; not a tearjerker, but a story where I felt well-invested in every character. Family and environment are the two most important elements of this film and without one the other cannot prosper. George gives us a top-notch performance (his best roles are where he doesn't have full control.) Also, I suggest that if you liked this movie check out more Alexander Payne films; he's the real magic behind this film.
½ June 2, 2014
The Descendants is a moving and touching picture, featuring a strong George Clooney performance and a standout from Shailene Woodley in her breakthrough role. The character of Sid, whilst vital for the film's progression, has a tenuous connection to the film, and the film slips into cliche as the film proceeds, but neither flaw takes away from the overall moving experience.
½ April 20, 2015
it might be the most boring movie ever. clooney is still pain to watch for me.
January 9, 2012
Brilliant and thought-provoking movie! Loved it!!!
April 12, 2015
A huge disappointment. Woman-hating midlife crisis storyline with an unbelievable enviro-culturalist gesture toward redemption at the end. I hated this pandering film, and the only good thing about it are the touches of local culture in production design.
April 12, 2015
Actually there's much to write about when you're talking about this film. George Clooney gave absolutely his best alongside Shailene Woodley who gave out a stunning performance. Not to mention Alexander Payne whose every step he takes proves his quality behind camera and with a pen.

His story unlike others managed to catch our hearts about a man who loved , who learned to forgive , whose actions was seen as selfish but turned out to be incredibly noble. His wife like many others feels lonely she then turns to another man , A sickening man who finds the opportunity to play with a woman's heart though he loves his wife and children. His children on the other hand are the biggest losers who fell between a working father and a cheating wife. This is the story of many , love , betrayal & love again. This film is absolutely wonderful if you haven't seen yet you're missing quite a lot then.
½ March 25, 2015
A gripping family tragedy with some good performances. The two kids, Woodley and Amara miller also gives good teen/ child performances.
March 10, 2015
I watched the Oscars and other award shows so when The Descendants got all these accolades it peaked my interest but I never got around to watch the film. I now have, and let me tell you I was not particularly impressed, I didn't connect with the movie. But watching it I understood that people would easily connect with The Descendants. I mean, if you've been through or going through something similar this movie could really move you, and touch you like Still Alice did for me this year.

So while part of me does not really understand why George Clooney scored an Oscar nomination for this - I'd have to check out who the other contenders were but I don't care that much - I have to admit that it is a decent film. It's simple, doesn't take itself too seriously, and a bit raw. The characters are easy to relate, in some way, they're kind of stripped down and feel like regular people going through some though times.

Like I said, I couldn't really relate to the film because so far I've been lucky enough not to have lost anyone close to me. I know, I'm lucky I am and I do feel like I'll experience this movie very differently when I eventually go power through a big loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not waiting for a tragedy to watch this movie again. All I'm saying is that The Descendants as everything to faithfully depict the aftermath of a tragedy, the frustration, the emotions, the humor, and the relief.