The Descendants - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Descendants Reviews

May 16, 2015
Ever have the mornings when you wake up still thinking about last night's movie? Well, I did with this movie. The Descendants is a heartfelt movie all the way; not a tearjerker, but a story where I felt well-invested in every character. Family and environment are the two most important elements of this film and without one the other cannot prosper. George gives us a top-notch performance (his best roles are where he doesn't have full control.) Also, I suggest that if you liked this movie check out more Alexander Payne films; he's the real magic behind this film.
½ June 2, 2014
The Descendants is a moving and touching picture, featuring a strong George Clooney performance and a standout from Shailene Woodley in her breakthrough role. The character of Sid, whilst vital for the film's progression, has a tenuous connection to the film, and the film slips into cliche as the film proceeds, but neither flaw takes away from the overall moving experience.
½ April 20, 2015
it might be the most boring movie ever. clooney is still pain to watch for me.
January 9, 2012
Brilliant and thought-provoking movie! Loved it!!!
April 12, 2015
A huge disappointment. Woman-hating midlife crisis storyline with an unbelievable enviro-culturalist gesture toward redemption at the end. I hated this pandering film, and the only good thing about it are the touches of local culture in production design.
April 12, 2015
Actually there's much to write about when you're talking about this film. George Clooney gave absolutely his best alongside Shailene Woodley who gave out a stunning performance. Not to mention Alexander Payne whose every step he takes proves his quality behind camera and with a pen.

His story unlike others managed to catch our hearts about a man who loved , who learned to forgive , whose actions was seen as selfish but turned out to be incredibly noble. His wife like many others feels lonely she then turns to another man , A sickening man who finds the opportunity to play with a woman's heart though he loves his wife and children. His children on the other hand are the biggest losers who fell between a working father and a cheating wife. This is the story of many , love , betrayal & love again. This film is absolutely wonderful if you haven't seen yet you're missing quite a lot then.
½ March 25, 2015
A gripping family tragedy with some good performances. The two kids, Woodley and Amara miller also gives good teen/ child performances.
March 10, 2015
I watched the Oscars and other award shows so when The Descendants got all these accolades it peaked my interest but I never got around to watch the film. I now have, and let me tell you I was not particularly impressed, I didn't connect with the movie. But watching it I understood that people would easily connect with The Descendants. I mean, if you've been through or going through something similar this movie could really move you, and touch you like Still Alice did for me this year.

So while part of me does not really understand why George Clooney scored an Oscar nomination for this - I'd have to check out who the other contenders were but I don't care that much - I have to admit that it is a decent film. It's simple, doesn't take itself too seriously, and a bit raw. The characters are easy to relate, in some way, they're kind of stripped down and feel like regular people going through some though times.

Like I said, I couldn't really relate to the film because so far I've been lucky enough not to have lost anyone close to me. I know, I'm lucky I am and I do feel like I'll experience this movie very differently when I eventually go power through a big loss. Don't get me wrong, I'm not waiting for a tragedy to watch this movie again. All I'm saying is that The Descendants as everything to faithfully depict the aftermath of a tragedy, the frustration, the emotions, the humor, and the relief.
January 20, 2012
Was very disappointed.
February 25, 2015
Very charming and insightful little movie. Far deeper and more complex than expected.
April 10, 2012
Definitely one of Clooney's finest films, capturing the essence of family, love and loss in a tropical paradise.
½ October 10, 2013
Hopelessly and unapologetically dull. About ten minutes of story stretched to fill nearly two hours. Woodley and Clooney give great performances, but when the story is this dry, who really cares?
February 5, 2015
Cranky Old Cuckold

Wow! Is this movie ever overrated! More so even than "Sideways". Let's see, a dying wife in a coma and a guilt-ridden mostly-absent husband isn't all that emotionally arresting until we find out she was a cheat. OMG, she had an affair! Another man! Alert the Pope, now we've got a story to tell! A tragic, fatal boating accident is one thing, but adultery is what really motivates the husband and his side-kick daughter to play detectives and find out who the wife was cheating with. That's the real story. That's what we really need to know. Pull the plug on the wench for all we care now. Uncovering the secret affair is all that matters. And of course the culprit she was having ungodly sex with was just using her so he could score some real-estate commission. So, in the end, not only does the wholesome, upstanding husband confront the loathsome adulterer, and develop into a perfect parent, but he also ends up saving pristine property in Hawaii from being exploited. What a guy! How does this self-righteous crap get a perfect score from so many critics. I'll give it a 6, max, and only for it's steady pacing and a solid performance from Shailene Woodley.
½ February 3, 2015
A moving and poignant drama about forgiveness and redemption.
½ January 30, 2015
One of Clooney's best performances backed up by a fantastic screenplay and direction by one of today's most unpredictable and fresh filmmakers. Full review later.
½ January 29, 2015
Alexander Payne cannot physically make a bad film, it seems. Or even an average one. This a probably a little low on the dramatic (and comedic) fireworks for some tastes, and yes, it's sedate. But I also found this entrancing. Sometimes funny, often sad, always poignant. And very human.
January 26, 2015
'The Descendants' has appeal as a result of its delicate fusion of heart and humour through the manner in which its characters unconventionally deal with their tragic circumstances. Its mature themes and very mellow tone means though that it will only be truly meaningful for older audiences.
½ January 24, 2015
funny sad and well acted The Descendants uses hawaii like its meant to be used everyone should see this movie
January 20, 2015
Another great movie from Alexander Payne, talking about broken relationships and humanity, although the evident tragedy a woman in coma dying, the film has black humor and is easy to watch, George Clooney amazing in his role.
September 20, 2013