Box Office Guru Wrapup: Devil Draws In Massive $35M Debut

Summary

Back to Article

Comments

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I saw the Devil Inside. It was one of the worst movies I've seen in a while. Terrible acting even for a Horror movie, very few scary scenes, and a bad ending just to wrap it all up. That being said, it's impressive that Paramount was able to market the film so well. I just hope then don't try to do Devil Inside 2. It should hold on to number one next week even if it drops big. The only movie l could see beating it is Beuty and the Beast, but even that is unlikely.

Jan 8 - 05:04 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

You contributed to the Devil Inside sequel that will no doubt be announced to be in development in the next week or two.

Jan 9 - 09:38 AM

Gordon Terry

NOOOOOO WWWAAAAYYY . . . DEvil Inside was AWESOME!!!! Totally FREAKED-OUT: I don't want to spoil anything for anyone; Devil Inside is an unforgetable film for sure: (okay, I'll spoil one thing: the baby drowing in the baptismal pool has never been done before). a statement: The Devil Inside is THE BEST "EXORCIST-MOVIE" made since THe Exorcist; very scary and creepy and gruesome and haunting and chilling. All for under a million dollars to produce . . . ///I suppose if your a non-believer then The Devil Inside is stupid because The Scriptures (including Devils and Angels, Spirits, and Ghosts) are nonsense to non-believers. THE DEVIL INSIDE: THE FILM THAT CHANGED AMERICA! (not). America is still THE WHORE OF BABYLON that it always has been.

Jan 9 - 12:55 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Humans have proven quite capable of producing their own Evil, thank you very much.

Jan 9 - 01:07 PM

Gordon Terry

What "possesses" humans to do evil? (rhetorical-question) DEMONS. Haven't you done something in your life and then said, "I don't know what came over me." That was a spirit that came over you. D-E-M-O-N-S.

Jan 9 - 01:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"I think it has something to do with Free Will" - the Supreme Being (Ralph Richardson). Humans are very slippery when it comes to being accountable for their actions. The Devil is a metaphor for the Human capacity for Pride and Temptation. (I'm sure you'll find that as a rather proud statement) Since you're fond of the Scriptures, notice the Devil's role in JOB, where he's something of a Slugworth to God's Wonka. These are stories of moral allegories. People would do well to learn from them and take responsibility for their own morality.

Jan 9 - 01:55 PM

Brad H.

Brad Hadfield

Most so-called possessions have been explained away through science (schizophrenia, identity disorders, tourette's syndrome, etc), as have other horrific things that people have done while supposedly under control of some force (sociopathy, extreme depression). Anyone claiming today that "the devil made me do it" is looking for an insanity plea or, as Janson said, a way to avoid taking responsibility for their actions.

Jan 9 - 02:31 PM

willman13

William Farrelly

I feel sorry for people like Gordon, who don't actually understand human nature(good AND bad). The same type of people give glory to a higher power for the SIMPLEST accomplishments and give no credit to themselves.

Jan 10 - 09:30 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Please don't group all people who believe in God in with Gordon and his ilk. Some believers are very rational people whose belief is way beyond your overly simplistic assessment of it.

Jan 12 - 06:01 AM

Ned Blackburn

Ned Blackburn

yeah, i think he might just be taking the piss, guys

Jan 15 - 07:05 AM

Janson Jinnistan

IDIOTS! All this whining about how bad this movie was. No Shit! Why don't you keep throwing money at the Beast?!?! Paying these opening weekend tickets are NOT going to make these films get any better! They will grow like mold spores, you sucker-asses! You want Chia-Shit, you get Chia-Shit. STOP FEEDING THE ANIMALS!!!!

Jan 8 - 05:10 PM

Alica L.

Alica Leo

Calm down, Janson. It's just a movie that made a lot of money and a lot of people were disappointed with it. No need to to yell about it. By the way, who are the "animals" and what is "chia-shit"? I know what "shit" is, I'm just unaware as to how adding "chia" to it alters the meaning.

Jan 8 - 05:21 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Fools! It's all your fault! Stop going to movies that are OBVIOUSLY terrible, and maybe they'll stop making them. Don't come home and complain about it when you shouldn't have been there in the first place! 'Chia' is a mold that grows, like horrible taste in movies. If you're curious about dumb movies, don't go opening weekend. You have redbox, downloads. You're not only wasting your money on OBVIOUSLY (I can't quite stress that part enough) crap, you're perpetuating it with your commerce. An 'F' Cinemascore, and these bastards are already planning a sequel. This suckerdom is shameful. Meanwhile GOOD movies are struggling to hit 50 million. Sure it matters.

Jan 8 - 05:41 PM

Alica L.

Alica Leo

Does it matter? I mean, Studios have always had a money first, quality second policy. A lot of bad movies have always made money, and I expect more bad movies will make money in the future. A lot of good movies have struggled in the past, and more will struggle in the future. I don't see things as being any different then they have always been.

Jan 8 - 06:01 PM

Janson Jinnistan

In all due respect, I doubt you know what you're talking about. "This is how it's always been" is a falsehood. True, there have always been cheap, exploitative movies made, but very rarely have they been the ONLY film opening in a weekend over 1000 theaters. You need to look at film releases from prior decades to see how times have changed. A film like "Devil Inside" would not have been expected to open an entire weekend by itself, and I'd wager it'd more likely than not get a direct-to-video release. Even in 'dump-month' January, a film purchased for a cool one million dollars would never have been the sole studio release prior to just a few years ago. Regardless, there is very little excuse you can make for this film's, yecch!, I mean, flick's success. People need to value their time and dollars more than they apparently do. ("F!!!")

Jan 8 - 06:12 PM

Alica L.

Alica Leo

I'm not defending the film, I'm sure it's terrible. What I'm trying to say is that movies like Devil Inside aren't the reason we have so many bad films. The problem is a lack of originality. While I wouldn't call the concept behind the film original , it isn't a remake, sequel, or adaption which is rare these days. The first weekend of January has always been a slow one. Also, while a movie like Devil Inside may not have been in over 1000 theaters a long time ago, I would argue that has more to do with the fact that there are more theaters these days.

Jan 8 - 06:32 PM

Janson Jinnistan

You are right that "Devil Inside" itself isn't the reason we have bad films. The reason for that is that approximately 3 and a half million people bought tickets for it. That's an invitation for more films like it to continue to churn out. People should know better. It isn't about 'taste' (I love horror films, especially cheap ones that thrive off of ingenuity to overcome the production values), the 'F' Cinemascore speaks for itself, however they want to parse it. Sometimes, you just have to call a dog a 'dog'. But the choices people make at the box office absolutely matter, as they'll dictate the studios' production priorities in the future. It's kinda like voting. Buying an opening weekend ticket is a vote in support of that film, even if you haven't seen it yet. If you're only mildly curious about a potentially (being very kind) horrible film, you should wait for a rental. Three months won't kill you, but making a record-setting opening (for the first week of January, and 3rd in January overall) will kill the prospects of other, smaller films that are competing to get made next year.

Jan 8 - 06:43 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Agree 100% with Janson...you all should be ashamed of yourselves. Seek redemption and go support The Adventures of Tintin this weekend

Jan 9 - 10:38 AM

Gordon Terry

THE DEVIL INSIDE is TRULY TERRIFYING! The Devil Inside will stay with me for a while: it got under my skin.// you need to pove it to yourself that demons exist: go to "google-search" type "haunted locations (followed by your zip code)" and tour some of the hanted places in your area.//Senaca Falls Historical Society up here in New York has a bunch of cold-spots on the second floor (for instance). Once you prove to yourself that Demons & Ghosts exist, then The Devil Inside will have greater impact on you GUARENTEED!///SPOILER for Janson J.: Christopher Walken dies at the end (that's an in-joke).

Jan 9 - 01:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Somebody's going to die. Real soon." - Christopher Walken, "The Prophecy"

Jan 9 - 01:09 PM

Gordon Terry

CHEAP, EXPLOITATIVE films are AWESOME!!!! (They are not pretentious like The Movie where Christopher Walken dies near the end)

Jan 9 - 01:30 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Quality becomes 'pretentious' and Cheap becomes 'awesome'. Truly a decadant cultural outlook. And YOU are the one talking about the Whore of Babylon?

Jan 9 - 01:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Love Walken in The Prophecy. Very underrated B movie. So quotable.

Jan 9 - 04:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

He may have said 'someone' instead of 'somebody'. It was an off-the-cuff quote.

Jan 9 - 04:16 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

I 100% agree with Janson J. And yes it matters Alica. Monday afternoon, an original script will be shelved in lieu of a Devil Inside sequel.

Jan 9 - 05:53 AM

thechienfiction

Thechienfiction yes

I agree with DBrock: Go support "The adventures of Tintin"!
It really is high qualtiy entertainment!

Jan 9 - 11:02 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

I agree. I am so tired of "found footage" movies that the Blair Witch Project sparked. I wish the footage would just stay lost. Apollo 18 anyone?

Jan 11 - 07:54 AM

Gordon Terry

again, DEVIL INSIDE is FREAKING AWESOME; very scary (to the point where you have to cover your eyes and/or look away) . . . // but if you don't believe in demons then the movie would be like watching Space Jam or something: the implicit meaning of Devil Inside would be lost--that people can become possessed and lose control and kill themselves or others. The mother who drownbed her five children in a bathtub for instance: DEMONIC POSSESSION. "Depression" is a spirit; today Americans call depression a chemical imbalance; in America, even love is a chemical reaction.

Jan 9 - 01:17 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

This I agree with. And the italization makes this post seem extra angry.

It sucks that studios just care about that one huge weekend, even if it means leaving unsatisfied (and even angry) moviegoers. Don't these studio execs want anything with staying power? Something with good buzz that can make them money now and YEARS down the road?

Jan 8 - 05:25 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

They do, it was called Dragon Tattoo. Seems reports of its demise were greatly exaggerated. I wish they would have released Tinker Tailor wide with some hype, think it could have had a chance to be a big financial as well as critical success. The audience I saw it with seemed genuinely pleased to see a movie that didn't insult their intelligence. I had to explain parts of it to a few people next to me, but they found thoparts clever with just a few nudges.

Jan 8 - 07:23 PM

Andrew Prior

Andrew Prior

In regards to a few people on here on about what a great film, 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' was. I'm sure the majority of Americans seeing this film don't even realise it's a remake and that the original film by Danish director Niels Arden Oplev is so much better (and the two sequels) of course seeing these means people will have to actually read subtitles which i know a lot of people can't see to do and watch a film at the sametime, now that is the sad state of the cinema going public we have today.

Jan 9 - 05:09 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I actually think most people realise it is a remake. American's are actually very aware of Noomi Rapace and her sequals. As for the subtitles thing, I actually totally get that as a legitimate complaint. I wouldn't read a magazine while watching a movie or turn subtitles on on my TV normally, why would I prefer to watch a movie with subtitles when I can get one that's just as good or better without them. I liked Let The Right One In and The Rapace version of Dragon Tattoo, but Let Me In and Mara Dragon Tattoo were just better films for me, they spent more money on them and the talent level was just better for me AND I didn't have to watch with subtitles or a really bad dubbing. Dragon Tattoo is a closer run race for me, but I thought Mara's performance really set it apart. I also found Fincher's direction drew me into the story more than Oplev's. Also a movie is never poorer for having Stellan Skarsgaard in it. I have no issue with multiple good movies coming from the same subject matter. There are not enough good movies in general for us to get picky and choosy about where the few we have are derived from.

Jan 9 - 07:30 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

and actually I mispoke, it's not a remake, it's a reinterpretation from the same source material and has no association with Oplev's movie except they're based on the same source material.

Jan 9 - 07:34 AM

Gordon Terry

Devil Inside is an independant film sponsored by Paramont. Devil Inside made 17 Million ollars and Fright Night 2011 made only $500,000 thousand dllars opening weekend.

Jan 9 - 01:19 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Despite the negativity surrounding Devil Inside, I rarely pass up exorcism films. I'll probably end up seeing it along the line. But that is a surprising haul for an R-rated horror film.

Jan 8 - 05:10 PM

Jan 8 - 06:43 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Jan 9 - 10:38 AM

Jan 9 - 01:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Somebody's going to die. Real soon." - Christopher Walken, "The Prophecy"

Jan 9 - 01:09 PM

Jan 9 - 01:30 PM

Jan 9 - 01:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Love Walken in The Prophecy. Very underrated B movie. So quotable.

Jan 9 - 04:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

He may have said 'someone' instead of 'somebody'. It was an off-the-cuff quote.

Jan 9 - 04:16 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Jan 9 - 05:53 AM

thechienfiction

Thechienfiction yes

I agree with DBrock: Go support "The adventures of Tintin"!
It really is high qualtiy entertainment!

Jan 9 - 11:02 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Jan 11 - 07:54 AM

Jan 9 - 01:17 PM

Mr. Bo Ziffer

Mr. Bo Ziffer

This I agree with. And the italization makes this post seem extra angry.

Jan 8 - 05:25 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Jan 9 - 07:34 AM

Jan 9 - 01:19 PM

Facebook User

Facebook User

The filmmakers musta made a deal with the devil for that fucking opening. That movie was atrocious and has a spot reserved on my 10 worst films of 2012....

Jan 8 - 05:28 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

By the way, I saw Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Exceptional film. I'm glad it's pulling through. Despite some of it's graphic content, people are loving it, which is great. I am eagerly awaiting the two sequels.

Jan 8 - 05:35 PM

Myra Arellano

Myra Arellano

Dragon tattoo is the only movie worth seeing of the top five. Great acting, great score, great direction.

Jan 8 - 07:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

I thought Mission Impossible and Sherlock Holmes were both good action movies. There's still a ton worth seeing at the BO if you haven't seen them. Along with those two and Tattoo, War Horse, Tinker Tailor, Iron Lady and We Need To Talk About Kevin were all worth a look.

Jan 8 - 07:38 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I love Ghost Protocol. One of my favorite action films.

Jan 8 - 08:11 PM

Ben Park

Ben Park

I highly recommend Tintin too! Lots of fun - it's Spielberg and Jackson, most definitely worth a look.

Jan 9 - 11:14 AM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

an R-rated horror making that much? no matter how bad the film may be that is pretty damn impressive.

Jan 8 - 05:36 PM

Andrew I.

Andrew Imrie

Or sad that so many people were suckered into seeing it.

Jan 9 - 01:25 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

The Devil Inside = SUCK!!

As is it sucked up a lot of sucker's money.

Jan 8 - 05:38 PM

Jan 8 - 06:43 PM

DBrock

David E-Brock

Jan 9 - 10:38 AM

Jan 9 - 01:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Somebody's going to die. Real soon." - Christopher Walken, "The Prophecy"

Jan 9 - 01:09 PM

Jan 9 - 01:30 PM

Jan 9 - 01:57 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Love Walken in The Prophecy. Very underrated B movie. So quotable.

Jan 9 - 04:05 PM

Janson Jinnistan

He may have said 'someone' instead of 'somebody'. It was an off-the-cuff quote.

Jan 9 - 04:16 PM

Erika Ernst

Erika Ernst

There is no surprise that a lot of people hated it and I just add to the mix. I just want to vent about a few things........the ending sucked, it wasn't that long and it really pissed me off that they had to stoop that low to show a scene of the priest trying to drown a baby. That was the most stomach turning thing I've ever had to watch........it litterally made me sick. If any part of that scene was shown in the preview I never would have wasted money to see it. I think that is why they didnt show it.

Jan 8 - 05:54 PM

Alica L.

Alica Leo

Jan 8 - 06:01 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

How? How does this happen?

You'd think the terrible reviews or the awful trailers/commercials would discourage people.

Jan 8 - 06:09 PM

Jan 8 - 06:12 PM

chasemandvd

Chase Lehocky

I also saw The Devil Inside... it wasn't horrible and it wasn't great. People say it is one of the worst endings in movie history, but what about the first Paranormal Activity? It really is almost the same ending. This is the problem I am seeing, people did not like the movie as a whole so they are blaming the ending to being the worst. While PA had a lot more humor and tense moments, people didn't complain about the ending. Did I think the ending in The Devil Inside suck... no because a) I do not see another way of ending it (unless you wanted a happy sapp ending and b) NO SEQUEL...(I say that but there is a PA2, PA3, and soon to be PA4.

Jan 8 - 06:12 PM

End it! End it all!

Jan 8 - 06:19 PM

Gordon Terry

The ending was a little weak because it made the demonic possession seem like a contagion after a while; with so many people becoming possessed so soon, why not all of Italy? (well, for a busget of $750,000; they'd have to cut the narrative off more sooner than laterr: you run out of time and money)

Jan 9 - 01:26 PM

Jan 8 - 07:17 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Jan 8 - 07:38 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I love Ghost Protocol. One of my favorite action films.

Jan 8 - 08:11 PM

Ben Park

Ben Park

Jan 9 - 11:14 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday