The Devil Makes Three - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil Makes Three Reviews

½ March 5, 2007
Having been filmed on location in what was left of Hitler's resort home was what made this movie a good watch.
½ November 11, 2012
An interesting set-up is undone by a dull execution. Gene Kelly as a GI returning to post-war Germany to visit a family that helped him during the war, only to get involved in underworld black marketeers who end up being ex-Nazi's trying to resurrect the party after US forces leave. It's a fun premiss, but the film is not as exciting as it should have been. However, I do always like seeing Kelly in dramatic, non-dancing roles, even if he does seem somewhat miscast.
½ September 27, 2012
‚~The Devil Makes Three‚(TM) came out 50 years ago, and still holds up today. This film which also stars Gene Kelly is part caper, part military, and part thriller. Just like ‚~Black Hand‚(TM), this is a lesser known film of Gene‚(TM)s, but it‚(TM)s still a great one. And, I believe all of it was shot on location in Germany in the early 50‚≤s. I think if you give ‚(TM)The Devil Makes Three‚(TM) a chance, it will be a staple in your collection.

The year is 1947 and Captain Jeff Eliot (Gene Kelly) has returned to Munich for the holidays to visit the Lehrt family, who during the Nazi occupation, hid Eliot from the Nazis and helped him escape. Once he arrives, Eliot unfortunately learns that the Lehrt household was blown up not long after he left, along with the family. However, after Eliot does some research, he learns that not all the family was killed in the explosion. The daughter Wilhelmina or Willie seemingly escaped. Eliot decides to track Willie down to see if she is okay. He eventually finds her living a life of a prostitute to survive. He wants to help her and bring her to safety, but she is hesitant. Eventually, she decides that she is ready to leave the lifestyle or so we think. Willie tells Eliot she wants to spend the holidays with a family that she knew since childhood and that if Eliot could drive her there. Little does Eliot know that Willie is working with the Nazis to plan a huge comeback with her help. There are car chases, gun fights, and tons of thrills. The love interest between Willie and Eliot is a bit strange because of the age difference, but it doesn‚(TM)t detract from the film. Solid 50‚≤s thriller. You‚(TM)ll like it.

-Bryan Kluger
January 30, 2012
good drama and nice 2c kelly in a non-musical part
October 8, 2007
I'm in love wit hthis film because of my having lived in Salzburg and having a strong familiarity with history, the German language, the region shown in this movie, and classic Hollywood film making. I'm pleased to know that Gene Kelly could do more than sing and dance; he could act as well.
June 2, 2007
Another great Gene Kelly film...quite different from is normal singing and dancing but all the same good! "To Hitler's House" lol..laughed at that part!
½ March 5, 2007