The Devil Wears Prada - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil Wears Prada Reviews

Page 3 of 1944
July 3, 2015
Maybe I'm a little tipsy because I'm thinking The Devil Wears Prada is a great movie. But Andy should have kept working for Miranda Priestly. Nate is a sad excuse for a boyfriend and this movie is a great representation of the glass ceiling. The ending is disappointing.
June 29, 2015
Girl gets enviable job with demanding boss. Girl grows distant from mediocre friends and sulking man-child boyfriend. Girl begins to fall in favor with boss, but also gets dumped. Girl ditches job, goes back to iffy relationship. The only satisfying aspect of this ending is that she gets a job in journalism. Great performances from Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep, but a hackneyed message that ends up backfiring.
½ June 19, 2015
A sparkling film and Miranda Priestly sets the screen on fire every time she appears. I wish there were more fashion-based commercial movies like this one.
June 12, 2015
Witty with its laughs and finding the right balance of satire in the fashion industry, The Devil Wear Prada has Anne Hathaway devoted in her lead role and Meryl Streep lending a surprising level of complexity to her title character.
June 2, 2015
Not really what I'm into, but still good.
May 16, 2015
"The Devil Wears Prada" is a thoroughly enjoyable film with many quotable lines for the inner b!tch. Although it may not be particularly impressive from the perspective of script, character development or insight, for my money, the film features Meryl Streep's most enjoyable role as a shallow, Machiavellian ice queen. Brava, Meryl! Brava!
May 16, 2015
Great movie. At first i didn't think that i would like it but it surprised me a lot. The trio Anne-Emily-Meryl was outstanding and made the movie soo much fun to watch.
May 12, 2015
Meryl Streep is brilliant, Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt are hilarious and awesome, owning their roles.
½ May 2, 2015
The more you watch this he more you would like it.
April 13, 2015
Despite the strong female leads, the movie is essentially an anti-feminist morality tale warning about the dangers that befall woman who let career ambitions interfere with family, friends and husbands. Regardless, Streep is a marvel to watch. It's a shame that the movie uses such a strong, accomplished actress to dismiss strong, accomplished women.
½ March 19, 2015
This ingenious dramatic comedy, show us the fashion world, like no other. 7/10
March 21, 2015
awesome well crafted and acted chick pic
March 6, 2015
I am one of the few people (and fewer men) who read The Devil Wears Prada before I watched it-once both existed. I did so within the last seven days, and so I can say with great confidence that these works have about as much in common as Carrie and She's All That. The book is a PTSD flashback without no taste but bile and no emotion but fury. The film reduces that to a perilous seduction.

Perhaps the most interesting find on the Devil's DVD was the featurette on its birth from the book. The author, Lauren Weisberger, is nowhere to be seen and it's revealed that several screenwriters took several years to deliver something that Hollywood could love and high fashion could favor. It also highlights just how much of the book's aesthetic got primped into something bearable, which the book just isn't. It ladles respect for the industry in at key points and spreads dollops of reliability all over Streep's Priestly.

The end result is conventional, nothing like the book, and nowhere near as potentially striking. It would have been bold to produce a screed against the powerful, a 90-odd-minute horror show in which no one is redeemed if you look closely enough. Instead, even biting Emily is given her Paris fashion castoffs and a chance to eat crow. Would I want to watch the book on the big screen? It would be worth seeing, once, just so I could know it's possible-it's evidently not.

Streep's Devil is palatable, and that's all show business and fashion are looking for most of the time. Art, it's not. Honest, it's not. But it is entertaining, and that's why people like it. For the record though, it took the movie to really lay fat comments on so thick. In Weisberger's account, Priestly frankly doesn't give a damn about the new Emily until the climax in Paris, and that's the whole point. We wind up with a tastier film, but wouldn't rancid be fascinating?
September 22, 2007
It's a pretty entertaining, and at times funny movie with the world (movie) revolving around Meryl Streep's character, who is worth the price of admission.
August 26, 2014
A cold but vibrant film with highly entertaining lead performances from Hathaway and Streep.
January 30, 2015
Better than I expected. Meryl Streep brought real depth to a character that could have been a cliché of the Type-A, career-obsessed woman. Anne Hathaway manages to hold her own against Streep. Stanley Tucci was also excellent. The plot is pretty basic, so it's more of a character study than a story.
January 29, 2015
Meryl Streep is always fun to watch, especially in this role, but the storyline is fairly basic. Full review later.
January 24, 2015
This is the first time I sat through this entire movie and it was very cute. Though it was a bit formulaic, it seems like one I would watch again.
½ October 3, 2007
Fresh out of college, Andrea unknowingly has landed the job that millions of girls would kill for. The problem is, its a fashion magazine, which she knows nothing about, and her boss is one of the most famous and demanding women in the industry. Between trying to balance her work life and personal life Andrea is forced to evaluate all the things that are important to her. The Devil Wears Prada features a great performance by Streep, and excellent insight in to the world a fashion of which I know nothing about. Although this film didn't educate me much on the glitz and glamour of the why so many reach out for this lifestyle, it was quite an interesting and entertaining film.
½ January 13, 2015
An enjoyable film, with great performances, though I'm hard pressed to say I truly remember everything form this film, just little bits here and there. Still, I enjoyed it enough to say that it is worth a watch.
Page 3 of 1944