• R, 1 hr. 23 min.
    In Theaters:
    May 16, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    Aug 21, 2012
  • Paramount Pictures

Critic Review - Slate

Most of The Dictator had me neither laughing nor shocked, but just staring at the screen in anxious is-that-all-there-is? silence.

May 16, 2012 Full Review Source: Slate | Comments (11)
Slate
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Hard to take a woman's opinion of any of Cohen's films to heart, most of them won't get the humor - or will be offended by it.

May 17 - 05:15 AM

Sophie Forrester

Sophie Forrester

What are you talking about? I am a woman, and I *LOVE* Sacha Baron Cohen, and know many others who do as well. Think he is one of the most brilliant satirists working today.

May 17 - 06:33 AM

Oliver D.

Oliver Davidson

Wow, Valmordas. You've just won first place for the most sexist asshole on a movie review website. Congratulations! I know plenty of women who love "Da Ali G Show" and "Borat."

May 18 - 12:47 PM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

When I read her negative blurb I knew immediately there would be some sexist prick in the comments sounding off for the retro-retardo Expendables crowd. Hope you are happy with yourself, being the minority sex on the planet as far as numbers and intellect goes. I'd say good luck getting a girlfriend with that attitude, but something tells me you're the kind of guy who would have to pay for his company

May 18 - 06:09 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Did I say all women? No, I did not. Don't tell me the target audience for this film isn't young males. I can tell by these comments someone has their panties on too tight.

May 18 - 06:29 PM

Ivie Imhonde

Ivie Imhonde

some basis?...ehhh sure
sexist?...for sure, for sure

May 18 - 07:36 PM

Daniel Frohm

Daniel Frohm

Just for the record, when you say "a woman's opinion," that is basically saying "any woman," which means "all women."

Just sayin'.

May 21 - 08:14 AM

Chris Simonetti

Chris Simonetti

lol you just proved a point, look at all the woman taking such offense to you by one little comment!

May 19 - 07:54 PM

Ross California

Ruslan Cali

You should have specified that you're only referring to American women :)

May 20 - 04:23 PM

Johnny Mabry

Johnny Mabry

I'm a guy and I think he's an unfunny ass. Unless you grew up in Alaska, tossing hay bales and shoveling snow in -20 temps like I did, 5 bucks says I'm manlier than you could ever dream of being, pencil neck. Hell, most women I know are probably manlier than you, so take your sexist BS and shove up that pompous powdered anus and leave the commenting to the adults.

May 26 - 10:17 PM

Beedoing Moohammad

Beedoing Moohammad

Hollyw??d

May 17 - 07:10 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

May 18 - 06:29 PM

Ma P.

Ma Pa

To all those "this is so sexist" screeming people, I can't wait when Sacha Baron Cohen makes a movie that mockes you.Valmoradas got to the point, judging after some of those chicks' reaction to some humor in the movie theater I went to. Most of them don't get it. I am a chick and was LMOF every minute of the movie, but again I am not American LOL

May 19 - 03:06 PM

Chris Simonetti

Chris Simonetti

If you took offense, expected some different genre out of it, or were looking for an actual comedy, the joke is entirely on you.

This is a movie in which you need a strong sense of humor to laugh at anything, which includes vulgarity, race, political, and ideology. Cant laugh at it, dont comment/watch it.

May 19 - 07:55 PM

Isaac McCracken

Isaac McCracken

You sound like the small-minded people who say "Dont like America? GET OUT!"

You are tolerant of this rubbish movie, but not dissenting opinions...

Jun 22 - 06:47 PM

William Walsh

William Walsh

May 28 - 04:26 PM

William Walsh

William Walsh

Haven't seen the movie, but as a rule of thumb, women and men have different tastes in many things, including movies. And I think sometimes a generalization can be made along gender lines without it always being unfounded, or somehow seen as an attempt at insult or offense. In this case though, even though I haven't seen the movie, as a male I would likely agree with the reviewer. I find SBC's brand of humor mean spirited.

May 28 - 04:32 PM

Wyatt Sanders

Wyatt Sanders

You obviously didn't understand the movie, watch Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator.

Jun 1 - 04:33 PM

Arizona Sue

Arizona Sue

the music was the best part....sadly, I think Ben Kingsley will regret this forever

Jun 5 - 03:55 PM

Diego Tutweiller

The Artist Formerly Known as Tutweiller

Precisely.

Jun 5 - 08:52 PM

Matt Cody

Matt Cody

I missed the last 20 minutes... just couldn't stay awake any longer so we left the theater.

Jun 6 - 07:06 PM

Emily Coughlin

Emily Coughlin

SO WELL SAID.

Jun 20 - 11:50 PM

Ksi Sadid

Ksi Sadid

get a life. american dickhead.

Jul 10 - 12:19 AM