The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no sh˘shitsu) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya (Suzumiya Haruhi no sh˘shitsu) Reviews

½ May 19, 2014
The first two seasons of this series basically build-up to this film; especially after sitting through all of "Endless Eight."
March 8, 2014
It test one's patience with it's excessive run time, but The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya's tonal shift into darker territory explores the characters in new ways (particularly Kyon) and creates new ideas unfound in the original series combined with excellent animation and voice acting on both tracks
October 15, 2012
If you have never seen the series, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, YOU WILL NOT KNOW ANYTHING THAT IS GOING ON.

Overall it's an okay anime movie, but you have to watch the series first. The movie is really long but if you're a fan of Haruhi you can probably handle it.
September 3, 2012
You definitely need to watch the anime series to understand and appreciate this movie. The animation, score, [english] voice acting, and overall story was all great. The movie was really long, but it wasn't overly slow paced. An exceptional movie.
½ July 8, 2012
It's enigmatic and somewhat existential. I didn't watch the series, though I think fans will appreciate the film more.
June 13, 2011
Plot:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya begins on the bitter morning of December 16th and ends December 24th atop a building, overlooking a beautiful midnight cityscape. Haruhi is as usual up to her antics and is intent on creating a memorable, nabe themed, Christmas party. Two days later, as Kyon again awakes to the familiarity of a cold, unwelcoming morning, he soon realizes changes have taken place to the world around him both inside and out of North High. Persons whom yesterday spoke to Kyon of tomorrow's plans no longer posses any lasting recollection of their desires. Instead it is that their entire existence has met some distressing, unaware, alteration and it is only Kyon himself who remains unaffected.

Later, while in class, Kyon discovers his classmates are absent minded of any Haruhi-her existence is unknown to them, she is as if an apparition of Kyon's potentially ill-fated mind. Having rushed out of the classroom with unnatural haste, Kyon begins his search for Haruhi and believes she is the cause to this hysteria. He is soon to realize an even greater change in those he held closest as it appears Koizumi, too, has since disappeared, Mikuru lacks any real recognition of him, Nagato is no longer an alien but instead that of an ordinary school-girl, and Asakura has mysterious returned from the dead.

In the once SOS Brigade clubroom, where a shy Nagato sits reading a book, Kyon uncovers a clue inside one of the club's books marked upon its bookmark. The clue-left by the original Nagato before such changes occurred-tells Kyon he must uncover and gather "keys" to "run a program" in which could return the world to its original normality.

Kyon later learns from his classmate, Taniguchi, that Haruhi is attending a different school entirely. As Kyon arrives at the other school he awaits outside its gate with impatience, hope. It is not until he sees the long hair of Haruhi, her once forgotten saddened countenance and Koizumi too, that his disposition is met with a certain cowardly front. His legs locked, Kyon begs himself to move forward, eventually confronting the two outright. Both Haruhi and Koizumi are puzzled by Kyon's demeanor and agree that neither has met with him yet in their separate lives. As Kyon reveals himself as "John Smith"-an alias he used while helping a younger Haruhi when he first traveled back in time-Haruhi is first intrigued and then later convinced at a coffee shop of Kyon's tale.

Kyon, together with the help of Haruhi and Koizumi manage to recollect both Nagato and Mikuru to reform the SOS Birgade. While the five are gathered in their old clubroom the computer there mysteriously turns on and a program appears on screen, prompting Kyon if he wishes to remain here, in a world of simplicity, normality, or return to his unusual, more often disastrous one.

Although admirable of the life finds himself in, Kyon pushes the button with the hope of returning to his former. Instead, he is sent back three years before where he is given a reverse serum and is told, if he wishes to return to his former life he is to inject the culprit moments after he or she changes the world on December 18th. He is then sent back to the future, his present, on the very day to complete this objective.

A Visual Delicacy:

The combination of Tatsuya Ishihara and Yasuhiro Takemoto as the film's directors is a marvelous one. Despite the film's potentially arduous run-time of two hours and forty minutes, their direction is so that the viewer is never quite taken by any sense of boredom. The pacing is excellent. Each perspective, gesture, presented character expression or placement is implemented expertly and with a certain undeniable love for the franchise and its characters.

The animation here is too sublime as its direction. Kyoto Animation put an apparent effort into the quality of each sequence. Time and again Japanese animation has proven its worth over the majority of tiring American animation studios. Even here, with what could be considered almost simplistic in regard to what is happening on screen, is too done so to a higher degree of perfection when compared to even the better of animated American productions.

Lovecraft:

By way of its intricate, developed plot, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya consists of more than a pretty face alone. It as well blends romantic concepts and science fiction. What is more is that the story and its characters here are explained thoroughly enough for one perhaps unfamiliar to the popular franchise. This is done so in a fashion not daunting to the reoccurring fan. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya explores itself almost consciously and because it is so self-aware, not a single moment here is left as boring, trite matter, but is instead as superb entertainment.

Every moment matters in Disappearance, even the quirky, more jovial pieces of dialogue and wit in which the series is renowned for. All these share an equal place of high immediacy and importance with the more macabre situations Kyon confronts.

One Sentence Summary:

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a long, albeit well-paced feature film featuring direction almost as beautiful as its visuals, an intricate series of time travel, intellect, and story.
December 23, 2010
This movie rivals top animation like Pixar and Miyazaki. It is required to watch the first two seasons of the anime series first to get the full effect of the movie.

The Main thing about this movie is not how the characters are great, How the world is set up, or anything. It's about how well they executed the whole entire storyline. Everything in the movie is pure brilliance, and this is on my #2 spot on my favorite movies ever made (right behind inception)
½ October 9, 2010
I was lucky to see this at NYCC with subtitles, and while the obnoxious audience who laughed and applauded at EVERYTHING, from Windows 95 to one of the extremely/sad scary moments, kind of made it harder for me to enjoy this as much, I was still so excited to see it and it certainly lived up to expectations. I missed Haruhi, who didn't have much screen time, but Kyon's story was quite interesting and it was cool to see Yuki get more characterization. I think Time Travel plots are pretty fun and this one made it both super cool, super involved, and super enjoyable. SUPER. I hope it comes out on DVD soon so I can see it in the comfort of my own otaku-less home.
½ September 11, 2010
In my opinion probably the best anime movie I've seen. The movie was simply fantastic the animation i thought was amazing in itself. Of course you shouldn't just walk in to this movie with no prior knowledge of the show because you'll understand nothing about whats going on. Anyway I thought the story was gripping and interesting. I would recommend this movie to any fan of the series and i would recommend the series to anyone I met, the series is amazing and the movie is no exception. Anyway I hope you consider this review when deciding a movie to watch.
½ July 31, 2010
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is utterly faithful to the novel it adapts from almost word to word. If you're a fan of the Haruhi Light Novels and the TV show (Like me) then you're probably going to love this movie but if you're a newcomer I recommend seeing the previous episodes of the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya before watching it. The film also pays homage to Back to the Future II where in the cafe scene the Alternate Koizumi explains to Kyon and Alternate Haruhi the possibilities of what?s happened to Kyon's original world and he draws a diagram on a napkin suspiciously similar to Doc Brown?s explanation of the alternate 1985. That was pretty cool considering Back to the Future is my favorite trilogy of all time. By the way, the animation is gorgeous, as expected of KyoAni while most of the music is from the original show after the disappearance it's mostly orchestral arrangements. In the end, the film has the warmth of the sun; definitely warm enough to thaw out any Endless Eight victim.
April 10, 2016
The pacing, atmosphere, animation, characters, dialogue and the incredibly intriguing plot all lead to one of, if not, THE best written story I've ever seen in an Anime film.

Even though I haven't seen the show that this film is based off (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), I still could almost follow the entire story as I was paying attention to the plot intricacies and twists and I did some background research on the characters and the synopsis of the show beforehand, so it's not an absolute requirement to watch the Anime series as I absolutely loved how interesting this film was and I felt connected with the characters; I especially felt the anxiety and confusion that Kyon felt throughout the course of the narrative.

I highly recommend this film for people who love time travel, alternate realities, parallel world-esque plots. You will really dig this film, just as long as you read up on the basic premise of the show, this movie and the characters that inhabit it as it will help you appreciate and understand it more.
August 28, 2015
Possibly one of the best movies I have ever seen before in my life!
½ January 12, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

I am such an idiot. Why did I watch this before seeing the anime series that preceded it; the film does not spend a large number of time establishing its characters and relies on knowledge of the series in order to gain some sort of understanding. I actually had to pause for about 5-6 minutes, just so I could catch myself up with who these characters up online, and after a skim through, I had gained a better grip on them, but still wasn't enough for me to gain that sense of comprehension that I wanted. Nevertheless, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya was an entertaining ride, with a complex and at times too convoluted story that manages to utilise its characters effectively, keeping me in thought on where and how all of its fantastical and science-fiction elements would come together.

The film allows the audiences to look past its complicated plot-devices, because it actually spends very little time on the gears and functions of the devices themselves, instead it reaches for something deeper, exploring more on the emotions of its characters, and how the sudden changes affect them at a personal level. Along with it, the characters depicted here are incredibly charming, full of imagination and most importantly, fun. These are characters that we could easily get lost in their personalities, not caring if all they do is mumble nonsense.

The film's ending may not be perfect, but I can see it growing on me the more I let it linger in my mind, understanding that it must be seen as a personal journey, rather than the large life-changing event that it actually is.

The visuals in this film were more like an upgrade of what could commonly be seen in an anime series, but it holds up on its own, allowing a sense of depth through its added detail, but ensuring it does not distract from the intimate and personal story it tells. My commendation and adoration for this film also stretches out to its musical elements, which is composed of a mixture of both original and non-original tracks, connected together with a tender and warm tone that touches us from the inside.

The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya is a wonderful film that I would not doubt revisit in the future, which then I would have more knowledge of the characters and their history together. Damn, it has been a while since a film adaptation or follow-up of an anime has impressed me.
½ May 19, 2014
March 8, 2014
½ February 24, 2014
This movie is entertaining in many different ways, but at the same time if you haven't seen the anime series there are numerous plot holes and many things that will make no sense to you. Kyon's narrative can be depressing at times but that's how he usually is. Also during the few times Asahina appears she is very irritating. The relationship between Nagato and Kyon is beautiful is yet heart breaking
September 1, 2013
If you like the TV series, it will be hard not to love this movie, even if you were not much of a fan before the movie may change your mind. Taking on a more serious tone than much of the TV series and lasting a marathon 2 and 3/4 hours this film just gets it correct. Although slow to start this movie explores and develops are protagonist and supporting characters far more than we have seen before accompanied by brilliant cinematography and direction this is a must for any Haruhi Fan.