Five Favorite Films with Jay Duplass

Summary

A couple of weeks back we heard from writer-director Mark Duplass on his five favorite sibling movies, so it seemed only fitting that we give his brother and co-collaborator Jay a chance to add his voice to the family discussion. Following the success of their mainstream-leaning Jeff, Who Lives at Home earlier this year, the brothers Duplass are back in theaters this week with a smaller-scale piece that recalls their mumblecore origins. The Do-Deca-Pentathalon -- which was actually shot before the team went "Hollywood" with Cyrus -- focuses on the rivalry between two brothers (notice a theme?) as they compete in a homemade version of the Olympics. Cannily timed for the 2012 event, in fact, and sure to appeal to all those fans of both overblown sports circuses and micro-budgeted indie films. To mark Pentathalon's release, then, here are Jay Duplass's five favorite films. Take it away, sir. Back to Article

Comments

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Yeah.

Jul 3 - 05:12 AM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

An absolutely amazing list with top notch films, especially Raising Arizona and Dumb and Dumber. Any list with the Jim Carrey classic on it is number one in my book.

Jul 3 - 05:24 AM

Epic Barney Funk

Barney Funk

Amen to that. I have been flagged so much this past week it ain't even funny. I call BULLCRAP!

Jul 3 - 05:25 AM

Alex Szatkowski

Alex Szatkowski

I disagree. Rocky (the original) is a fantastic film. As he pointed out, it is significant because Rocky loses in the end.

I loved this list. None of my favorites are on it, but it seems like he chose films he actually liked and not just pretentious classics.

Jul 3 - 08:54 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Well said, Alex.

Jul 3 - 09:07 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

Well said, Alex.

Jul 3 - 09:07 AM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

I like the film too, but there's a difference between enjoying a film, and calling it one of the greatest masterpieces.

Jul 3 - 11:23 AM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

I knew I'd get something interesting from you.

Jul 3 - 11:23 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"But I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness". Yodeling Mozart, yoda jammies, Tex Cobb (he was especially hard on the little things), crawdaddys and cramps - the film just inspires hyperbolic emotions in its fans. I'm OK, you're OK, that there's what it is.

Jul 3 - 02:28 PM

Shiva the God of Death

Noah F

Excuse me sir, you're just a head with no eyes, and I'm the blind one?

Jul 3 - 11:24 AM

Andrew Rossi

Andrew Rossi

some good choices. i realize i am probably in the minority with this but was never a fan of Raising Arizona. love the coen bros, but this film didnt really do it for me. love the selection of Dumb and Dumber though.

Jul 3 - 12:18 PM

Nathan S.

Nathan Sellers

None of these films would be found in my top 50, but I can see why he likes them, and how films like 'American Movie' and 'Raising Arizona', have influenced his own projects. I really enjoy most of the Duplass Brothers work; they make such simple but fun films.

Jul 3 - 12:33 PM

Alex Vo

Alex Vo

We have been monitoring the issue and are pushing out a revised flagging system today. Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Jul 3 - 01:03 PM

Coach M.

Coach McGuirk

I love top 5 lists. You always get some clown saying "terrible list." Or "great list." Look, it's all (for the most part) fucking subjective. How can you judge someone else's taste when you're only using your own as a barometer?

Jul 3 - 01:58 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"Does the pope wear a funny hat?"

Jul 3 - 02:19 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Jul 3 - 02:28 PM

okayflint

First Last

the duplass brothers are awesome, cool list

Jul 4 - 12:16 AM

Hugo Emanuel Melo

Hugo Emanuel Melo

I'm not saying Rocky is a bad movie (altough I don't like it very much), what I mean is that if the movies he mentioned are his biggest influence or favorite films, then I'm afraid we can't expect much from him considering that most of the movies he mentioned are formulaic and bland. A man with such unadventurous taste in cinema will probably only ever make bland movies.

Jul 4 - 02:01 AM

Vaqas Umair

Vaqas Umair

I didn't get what he said about the Rocky didn't winning!?

Jul 4 - 03:26 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships