97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

November 11, 2012
Adequate nothing more.
Cynthia S

September 9, 2011
Well, a movie with Richard Gere that I didn't like too much. It was passable, due to the quality of the actors. The storyline, however, just didn't seem to sit well with me. Plus, for them to give away the murderer right in the beginning was a big mistake, in my opinion....
blkbomb
blkbomb

July 3, 2012
Martin Miller: This guy has used every kind of weapon you can think of. From an M-4 at 12 hundred meters, to a rusty nail.

"Keep Your Enemies Close"

The Double is a film of good intentions, but in the end I was left wondering... Does writer/director Michael Brandt actually think this is smart or does he know how truly amateurish and by the numbers this whole film is? I'll admit that The Double is watchable. I had no problem sitting through the film, despite just how bad it is. It's got every standard scene and every standard plot device. It unfolds like a puzzle you've done a thousand times. You can piece it together with your eyes closed. When the twist comes at the end, it's just laughable.

When a state senator is killed in the fashion of a famous Russian assassin who was thought to be dead; retired CIA agent Paul Shepherdson is brought in. He was on this assassins trail for years, but could never bring him in. Paul is adamant that the killing can't be Cassius because he believes Cassius to be dead. An up and coming, young FBI agent thinks differently. He wrote his thesis on Cassius and believes that this is his work. The two are teamed up to figure everything out.

There's not really too much to say about The Double. It's a movie that wants to appear like an original and well thought out thriller, but all it is is a rehash of other movies. There's little excitement to be had here because of the predictability and lack of real substance. There are a million plot holes, loose ends aren't tied up, and the whole affair seems kind of lazy. The nicest thing I can say about it, is that it was watchable. But even garbage can sometimes be watchable.
skactopus
skactopus

March 31, 2012
Michael Brandt puts together just enough of a crime thriller with The Double.The story never draws itself out that much, although that isn't to say that this film is a quick breeze from start to finish. There are plot holes to be had, while other details are seemingly fulfilled with minimal explanations. Nevertheless, there are twists and turns to keep things moving along.Only showing up when needed, the action and the violence are held in check. There is nothing overly showy about any of it and it is forgettable by the film's conclusion.While not delivering any memorable performances, both Richard Gere and Topher Grace get by with their lead characters. To much dismay, Stana Katic is highly under-utilized. The lovely Odette Yustman appears as needed and is more noteworthy for her looks than anything else. The occasional side character tends to pop up at opportunistic moments as well. The Double isn't perfect by any means; however, it is a watchable 90+ minutes of agents tracking down an assassin.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 5, 2011
Cast: Richard Gere, Topher Grace, Martin Sheen, Tamer Hassan, Stephen Moyer, Odette Yustman, Stana Katic, Yuri Sardarov

Director: Michael Brandt

Summary: Retired CIA agent Paul Shepherdson joins young FBI agent Ben Geary to track down a Russian assassin who has seemingly returned after the Cold War. Old conspiracies quickly resurface, embroiling the pair in deeper and deeper peril.

My Thoughts: "Although there are obvious holes in the story, I found it a bit refreshing. You keep getting twists in this film that you don't see coming. I liked that it was a quick thriller that didn't linger and explain everything. I just didn't think it needed it. I like not all, but some films that just throw you in the middle of it's chaos and doesn't give you the long drawn out explanation for everything. Keeps you guessing and trying to put it together yourself. A thinker. The pace is steady moving and never lets go of the suspense. I enjoyed it. I love a Richard Gere film. He's absolutely fantastic in the film. It's unfortunate we don't see him in many movie's as of late."
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

February 8, 2012
Keep your enemies close

Not bad. The story develops quick but lacks details. This is probably not the best movie Richard Gere made yet not the baddest either and Topher Grace I just can't take him seriously been he's more of a comedian than a serious actor. It's a decent film you probably rent if your a fan of Richard Gere but don't expect alot either.

Story kicks off with the mysterious murder of a senator bearing the marks of a Soviet assassin, who was long thought to be dead. To hunt down the killer, a retired CIA operative, who spent his career going toe-to-toe with his Soviet nemesis, is teamed with a young FBI agent.
Al S

December 31, 2011
A stylish, cool, taunt and pulse-pounding action-packed thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat and most possiably breathless. A strong, intense, compelling and stunning film that gets your attention and is vastly entertaining. A rich cocktail of a spy film that adds the right elements of action, character and mystery. A mind-blowing thrill-ride that delivers one killer twist after another that will leave you spellbound. This film is most likely most likely going to be considered a classic. One kick ass film that will have your heart going into overdrive. An explosve and addictive thrill to watch. Richard Gere and Topher Grace are electrifying. Gere gives a great and gritty performance that is probaly his best in a while. Grace proves to be a strong and capable dramatic actor standing next to Gere in scenes. Stephen Moyeer gives a terrific performance.
Luke B

January 22, 2012
Best unintentional comedy of last year goes to this poorly scripted shambles. Richard Gere is brought out of retirement and partnered with Topher Grace to track down a Russian assassin that has been missing for years, but has finally resurfaced. First of all, let's deal with the twist that was given away in the trailer. It is revealed in the first 30 minutes that Gere is in fact the assassin he is hunting. The hilarity comes from none of the other characters realising this. It verged on spoof at times. Gere gets angry and starts shouting as he tries to convince colleagues that Hassan is the assassin. Grace seems unsure, then after Gere is pretty much crossing his fingers and yelling "I hope he falls for this", Grace agrees and then Gere looks relieved. For an undercover assassin he has the worst poker face. I'd love to edit out the reveal, and see how quickly people guess. Alarm bells should be ringing at the stupidity of this script from the very beginning. Gere is at a children's baseball game and starts chatting with a young mother "Which kid is yours?" she asks. "Oh no, I live close by and just come and watch every now and again." Brief pause, how is she going to react? "Oh, that's so sweet." No it isn't. It's creepy and sinister. As it goes on I got many a great chuckle and even considered applying for the FBI or CIA as they'll clearly recruit anyone. The final twist is just pathetic. A final attempt to try and surprise us, but instead it just confuses. It was needless and forced, and the ending had no real resolution especially in terms of morality.
Dann M

March 13, 2012
The Double is a fairly compelling espionage thriller that's full of intrigue. The film follows the hunt for a former soviet assassin that was presumed dead, but seems to have reappeared when a US senator is found dead bearing the assassin's calling card. Richard Gere, Topher Grace, and Martin Sheen lead the cast and give solid performances. The story is written fairly well and has a few twists and turns, but nothing too shocking or captivating. However, there are a few tangents and loose ends that aren't wrapped up too well. Overall, The Double is an entertaining thriller that has a fair amount of mystery and suspense, but is somehow underwhelming.
themoviewaffler.com
themoviewaffler.com

March 1, 2012
Richard Gere puts the cause of freeing Tibet from the horrors of electricity and secular education on hold to portray a double agent in this uninspired thriller.
Some genres just don't work on a smaller budget, the spy thriller for example. You need to be able to span the globe, utilising exotic locations for your set pieces. This is set completely around Washington, which brings up a troubling question. Why would anyone who is wanted by the CIA live on the doorstep of the Pentagon? But Brandt isn't concerned with logic, providing plot twists which seem to be pulled out of his ass whenever the script runs out of energy. I really enjoyed the remake of "3.10 To Yuma" which he penned but this is a very poor piece of writing. He seems to think spies actually operate like sixties era Bond or Napoleon Solo, leaving messages hidden in newspaper crosswords. One groan inducing moment sees Sheen inform Gere he's "going to see the president", which is code for "let's meet at the coffee vendor across the street from the Whitehouse". Yes, it's that bad.
The production value is nonexistent, most scenes taking place in out of the way locations for budget reasons. I like Gere but let's face it, does anyone choose to see a movie because of his presence? I suspect his fee could have closed off a few streets to give this movie the big set pieces it's crying out for. Back in the eighties, every cheap action movie set it's climax in a warehouse because it was cost effective. That's exactly how this movie ends and when you add in the cold war throwback atmosphere the whole project feels a quarter century behind the times.
SC007
SC007

October 13, 2013
Don't watch the trailer for this film, before watching the film itself. This is one of those rare cases, where the trailer spoils the movie, revealing major plot twists in it. The film reminded me of movies like Salt, No Way Out, Insomnia, and Jackal.

Richard Gere was ok here. He reminded me a little bit of his character in The Jackal and a little bit of his character in Internal Affairs. Topher Grace was miscast here. He is not a good fit to match up with Gere. Tobey Maguire or Jesse Eisenberg would have been better in Grace's role. Stephen Moyer and Stana Katic are great in their supporting roles in the film.
PantaOz
PantaOz

April 12, 2012
This spy thriller has mainly negative reviews and I am not sure what people expect from just average production for entertaining night in the cinema or at home. It was well directed by Michael Brandt using a little bit shaky story and screenplay. Richard Gere and Topher Grace did everything they could in the circumstances and the movie kept me glued to the screen most of the time.

I have to say that a story about a retired CIA operative Paul Shepherdson (Gere) who is summoned by CIA director Tom Highland (Sheen) to look into the murder of a senator - working together with a young FBI agent, Ben Geary (Topher Grace)- was very unbelievable... but who cares if you're there to kill time and have fun... and I did just that! It was watchable as much as "Haywire" and I tried to enjoy every moment of it.

Watch it if you're a Gere or Grace fan - they did a good job!
Jedd Y

March 20, 2012
Playing like a low-rent "Salt", "The Double" is mostly derivative and not very interesting. Pretty much everything, from the cold war-leftovers plot to the teaming of veteran and rookie, has been done before, and done better. "The Double" does set itself apart in that the biggest twist is revealed pretty early on. The best scenes are the innocuous scenes in which characters nonchalantly interact with the big bad, unaware that he's the one they're after. Still, its two leads pretty much fail to carry the film almost completely. It's impossible to view Richard Gere as a cold, hardened badass, and Topher Grace becomes more annoying every second he's onscreen.
Jeffrey M

February 2, 2012
Not all spy thrillers are created equal, but you'd think one starring Richard Gere would at least be good. The Double boasts a cast of good actors in Martin Sheen and Topher Grace, and leads with the great Richard Gere, yet it is pretty bad. Gere certainly tries, but his talents are lost in a film with an asinine plot, lackluster direction, and a screenplay filled with nonsensical twists and unnatural, often unintentionally humorous dialogue. The poor execution is especially surprising considering it was directed by Michael Brandt, who has proven himself effective with his great 3:10 to Yuma re-make. Disappointing showing all around.

2/5 Stars

Note: Those wanting a smart, fact-based, spy thriller featuring a double agent should check out that immensely better executed Breech (2007).
Angel G.
Angel G.

August 5, 2012
Even though the concept is interesting, the twist is great (if you didn't see the trailer) and Richard Gere and Topher Grace give exceptional performances, The Double's script isn't strong enough, the emotion never felt supremely real, and Gere and Grace lacked the secret-agent chemistry. But there isn't many thing to hate here, its well-acted, its interesting, it has a twist (don't see the trailer), so if your bored or feel like you want to watch a secret agent movie, you could check this out.
Christopher H

October 6, 2011
The Double is able to hold your attention, even though the pivotal moments of the film are revealed in its trailer. With two top-notch performances from Richard Gere and Topher Grace, there is enough action and a few redeeming, unspoiled twists to save this film from being completely ruined by its advertising.
Sarah P

March 7, 2012
"You're a double agent. No you are! Yes, we are both double-agents. And I'll go home to my hot wife anyway." That pretty much sums it up - now you can save an hour and a half!
September 21, 2013
An excellent espionage thriller. The story is complex and twisty without being absurd. Neither of the two major twists surprised me quite as much as I would suppose the writer intended but they were excellent twists nonetheless. Richard Gere gives a great performance as a man with many regrets and many secrets. Topher Grace also deserves kudos for his fine performance. Very good action as well as intrigue.
April 30, 2012
Some good ideas but highly derivative of other spy/espionage films and the final act is poorly handled. If you've seen "The Recruit" and "Insomnia", there's nothing really new to see here.