The Easy Life (1962) - Rotten Tomatoes

The Easy Life

TOMATOMETER

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

The Easy Life Trailers & Photos

Movie Info

Regarded by many as Dino Risi's finest film, The Easy Life (Il Sorpasso) casts Vittorio Gassman as Bruno, a jaded, aging roue, who introduces young Roberto Mariani Jean-Louis Trintignant to his hedonistic lifestyle.. Previously a man with a purpose in life, Roberto soon becomes as wanton and wastrelly as Bruno. The older man is proud of his handiwork--until tragedy strikes. Risi sagaciously sets his moral fable against the beauties of the Riviera; we may not approve of Bruno's lifestyle, but we certainly understand why it appeals to him. Among the screenwriters of The Easy Life was Ettora Scola, a frequent Dino Risi and Vittorio de Sica collaborator and an excellent director in his own right.more
Rating: PG

as Lost Suitcase Girl
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Easy Life

Critic Reviews for The Easy Life

All Critics (8) | Top Critics (5)

When I first saw it 25 years ago, I couldn't wait to see it again right away. I've been waiting ever since.

Full Review… | May 8, 2014
NPR
Top Critic

It's a sunny, lazy day in early-1960s Rome - the city is "like a graveyard," with everyone away on holiday.

Full Review… | April 3, 2014
Seattle Times
Top Critic

Yes, the frame is filled with the era's bikini-clad pulchritude, but the fuel here is primo neurosis.

Full Review… | January 8, 2014
Time Out

Full Review… | June 15, 2005
New York Times

Full Review… | January 1, 2000
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

Risi proves to have a deft sense of managing the intertwined humor and drama of his incredibly complex characters

Full Review… | June 3, 2014
Q Network Film Desk

Audience Reviews for The Easy Life

½

Hysterical satire with wonderful dialogue and two excellent performances, Trintignant is a quiet and absent minded youngster, and Gassman is his mischievous, older but less mature counterpart, they meet one morning, take a country ride and enjoy the best weekend of their lives.

Dino Risi's masterpiece.

pier007
Pierluigi Puccini

½

"Il Sorpasso" starts with Bruno(Vittorio Gassman) driving into a nearly deserted Rome from Amalfi. While there, he asks to use the phone of Roberto(Jean-Louis Trintignant), a law student, who hesitatingly agrees. It is then that Bruno remembers that he is already an hour late for a date. So, he takes his new friend away from his studies to find lunch somewhere which is a tricky business, considering this is the August holiday. So, they head to to the city outskirts where instead of food, they discover a couple of cute German women heading in the same direction and accidentally follow them into a graveyard...

I had always suspected the buddy road comedy had been around a good long time, considering how stale it has grown. Well, in 1962, the idea was still fresh and "Il Sorpasso" is definitely an entertaining take on that idea.(And, oh my, that ending!) Or maybe it's not quite the plot that really matters, as decently executed as it is, with its share of unpredictability especially concerning Bruno's back story, but rather what it has to say about postwar Italy and not only in the obvious comments about Italian drivers.(A record player as an optional extra?) What we have here is a country torn in two different directions, going forwards so quickly that it forgets what happens two seconds in the past. And it's funny to see how wrong Bruno is about the future. Plus, contrary to him and "Back to the Future 2," we are always going to need lawyers and people like Roberto to do the thinking.

Harlequin68
Walter M.

The Easy Life Quotes

There are no approved quotes yet for this movie.

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Easy Life on our Movie forum!