The Elephant In The Living Room - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Elephant In The Living Room Reviews

August 6, 2012
It wasn't that well made, but it did uncover a really disturbing occurrence involving wild animals. Really sad to see how people can destroy the animals lives as well as their own by selfishly keeping them as pets.
March 9, 2013
Ethan called this "the best documentary I've ever seen." And yet, he rated it 4 stars. He is a tough reviewer. I'd give it a 3.5 probably.
July 6, 2012
Highly recommend this documentary about people who have exotic and dangerous animals as pets. Available on Netflix.
½ January 12, 2012
A documentary about the obsession that Johnny Low-Rent has with exotic "pets" and the problems it is causing for us (normal people with I.Q.'s in the double-digits and above).

Several years ago, The TBox was taking his dogs on a walk in the woods just outside Culver. We are minding our own business, doing what we do, when we hike up over a hill and find ourselves face to face with a peacock. Now this is northern Indiana, folks. We don't get wild peacocks here. But, there it was...tail all fanned out, like it was advertising Thursday comedy night on NBC. Very odd.

I subsequently found out that someone that lived near there kept a couple of peacocks as pets and this one managed to get out and found its way to my woods. Glad this person decided on peacocks instead of grizzly bears.

According to this movie, there is a "Planet of the Apes" situation going on in low-rent USA right now. Apparently, dumb people like to buy not only apes, but any animal that could easily kill you or me or your entire town because they 'love' it. They are strangely drawn toward creatures with large teeth and/or things that are horrifyingly poisonous. These people also have an amazing tendency to leave gates and/or cages open, especially those that contain said deadly creatures. They seem to get great joy out of buying the deadliest creature imaginable for their young, dirty-fingered, mullet-headed, toddlers (which is usually the first thing the creature eats when it "escapes" its lightly supervised cage). Amazingly, there are little to no rules in place in most states to prevent these imbeciles from purchasing as many of these baby-eaters as they want. Brilliant.

The film takes a hidden camera to a reptile show where you can buy Puff Adders as easily as you can buy pasta salad at your local grocer. They take the same hidden camera to an "Exotic Animal Auction" where you might find enough combined I.Q. points to power your tooth brush. The scary thing is that both these events are PACKED with buyers. They purchase these animals, which quickly grow too large to handle, or need too much food or care. Nothing to do but open the gates, let the creatures out, where they will inevitably eat a joggers face. Real good times.

Mr. TBox is in favor of less government in most situations. However, a little legislation in this area would be nice. I like my face where it is. And, if I could address Johnny Low-Rent for a moment: Taking an animal that was meant to roam the jungle or woods or river and sticking it in a cage in your backyard isn't love. It's as close to the opposite of love as anything I can think of.

Word of warning: there is a scene in this movie that I wish I had never seen. I'm working on that with some targeted brain cell destruction sponsored by Guinness. It is a very good film, however, and a must watch for anyone that would like to continue going outside to do anything without becoming lunch.

Get your paws off of me.

8 T-boxes out of 10

TBox
May 11, 2011
This movie covers an issue that many of us wouldn't dream is taking place in our own backyard. Very informative and captivating film.
April 10, 2011
The Elephant In The Living Room brings up an issue that a lot of Americans don't even know exists. This film is one of the most well structured documentaries I've seen in awhile and proves that exotic animals in the states are a real problem. Emotions are strong and the story is very bitter sweet as one thing is made clear; ignorance is not always bliss.
April 1, 2011
A timely look at keeping dangerous wild animals as household pets. Sometimes it takes a tragedy -- a person getting killed -- to bring attention to this issue. This important and well-researched documentary can serve the same purpose. Highly recommended.
½ June 6, 2015
Very well put together and gripping story about a serious issue involving exotic pets....I didn't expect much going into the documentary and was pleasantly surprised. 3.5 stars
½ May 7, 2015
Holy crap, there's some harrowing shit, in here...
December 31, 2014
I completely understand the argument of this film and i am whole heartedly compassionated towards Tim Harrison--an Ohio Police officer whose friend was killed by an exotic animal and now fights every day to re-home these types of exotic 'pets'--and Terry Brumfield--a disturbed but heartbreaking elderly man who is raising FIVE lions in trailers and made shift cages--but the story and/or message is somewhat lost or weakened by a misunderstanding of storytelling and documentary filmmaking on the directors part. The score--borderline Sarah McLachlan SPCA commercial bad--is so in your face and unrelenting that is numbing. Though a great subject to do a documentary on, i cant help but wonder what the outcome would be in a more subtle filmmakers hands.
June 16, 2014
Both touching and terrifying.
April 28, 2014
big kittys and baby kittys xx
½ March 7, 2014
Pretty cool. Just feel like I could've seen photos with captions and gotten the idea and education from it. Lots of interviews but the title is more entertaining than the actual documentary.
February 21, 2014
Thought-provoking, profound, & heartbreaking. A film about the exotic trade & the effects on both humans & animals. Compassionate souls will shed agonizing tears viewing this film. Tears & perhaps anger particularly will be shed for a small family of lions that are owned by a private owner in Ohio throughout the documentary. Noteworthy, unforgettable, & haunting doc.
February 14, 2014
Heartbreaking for the animals, but a real eye opener for the American sub-culture of keeping exotic pets
December 17, 2013
An amazing powerful movies that introduces the exotic animal trade in the US and follows Terry and his lions through all of their troubles and their sad ending.
August 10, 2013
As documentaries go.....this is done superbly. I cannot imagine keeping these animals caged as they do. The story of the lions kept in a horse-trailer and their owner is particularly gut-wrenching, disgusting and heart-breaking all at the same time. Unbelievable that this still goes on unregulated.
½ October 1, 2011
A surprisingly powerful documentary about the unlikeliest of subjects.
½ April 3, 2013
should be spoilers for disturbing content. The fatal LONG electrocution of one of the lions still makes me sick and heartbroken 2 years later. It was irresponsible to show something that graphic w/ out telling people to brace themselves. If you like shocking horrifying animal stories or want to bitch slap someone who needs it in regards to responsible pet ownership, make sure not to miss Dealing Dogs. Horrifying and true. Humans are so undeserving and ungrateful.
March 9, 2013