The English Teacher Reviews

July 20, 2015
a very simple story about jealousy and trying to rebuild a life after bad stuff happens in the past.
½ April 8, 2015
Does former student count...!

A perfect role for Julianne Moore. All the other characters were nicely arranged around her's. It was a story based on the high school teacher and her ex-student, joining together for a school project. In the middle part, a wonderful development in the story turns the convincing second half. Some people are not a good listener, they try to finish the sentence before the speech givers. Such small instance, sometime may create a big trouble. Not right away, but it takes time of its own. At some point the truth will meet and all the hell will break out.

A movie with a good narration, but very familiar and predictable. Pleased performances, individually, but casts did not blend well together. Overall, a better movie than what I've heard about it, especially compared to so many overrated recent films. Easily just an above average, should have been better in the many parts, but the quality is there and entertains. In the end, it gives satisfactory for what it is. If you expect something more beautiful or powerful, this isn't the right film for you.

6.5/10
June 5, 2015
Not really a comedy or Drama my idea ... just a nice Vitaya or Wife-Tv - Movie . Not bad !
½ April 21, 2015
Silly fluff, an underutilised all star cast. Inoffensive stuff tho.
½ November 14, 2014
The english teacher is a rom-com taking some risks (...to a point): Moore is, as usual, convicing in the part even when far from the "type" normally people believe her to be, injecting a cringing impression in the character. Even if the "lovable" ending may feel superimposed it's not really so definitive, and overall the comedy is tempered by a feel of realistic uneasyness I didn't find simplistic, given genre costraints. For me, it's at least a B+.
½ October 20, 2014
Thin on comedy, but rich on Julianne Moore's performance.
October 4, 2014
I saw movie and enjoyed it.. With this cast it's still enjoyable.
November 11, 2013
I've never liked Julianne Moore or her acting and this movie was no surprise however I'd have to admit it really started quite interesting, the narration was great, it seemed like it was going to be surprisingly good comedy but that was just the beginning. The grading with a red pen was cool too, that's about it.
½ August 31, 2014
Todos aprendemos de nuestros errores pero aveces errores nos dan una pizca de felicidad lol. Un buen papel por Julianne
August 1, 2014
A huge fan of Moore but this was a scattershot mish mash. It was particully funny and im sure it was meant to be. File under odd
July 21, 2014
A decent chick-flick for us 40+.
July 16, 2014
Clunky and awkward, nor ever as funny or clever as it hopes, "The English Teacher" is a waste of Julianne Moore's great talent.
½ July 12, 2014
2.5 Stars, I liked this movie started but just didn't like how it turned out. Wasted the potential of being a decent film.
½ June 12, 2014
"Bad Teacher" was even better than this,,
½ April 23, 2014
This story was suprisingly delightful. The narrator was a strange addition to the movie until you settle into the idea of being told a story. I loved the cast in this and the sending was adorable.
April 3, 2014
"The English Teacher" is one of the ridiculous comedy ever!" The performances by the hole cast are horrendous. The directing by Craig Zisk is cockamamie. The screenplay by Dan Chariton and Stacy Chariton is extremely foolish and tedious. And the score is okay. "I'm raving that "The English Teacher" is monotonous that will bored you half to death. Not a must see!!!"
½ March 22, 2014
A entertaining story with an interesting character thats played by julianne moore.
½ March 20, 2014
The offbeat comedy The English Teacher delivers some laughs, but it isn't nearly as clever as it pretends to be. When a high school English teacher attempts to put on a play written by one of her former students she ends up developing romantic felling for him. Starring Julianne Moore, Greg Kinnear, Lily Collins, and Nathan Lane, the cast is quite impressive and delivers some good performances. Additionally there's a quirky sense of humor to the film that gives it a unique tone. But before long it falls into cliches and stereotypes. The English Teacher is a decent bit of entertainment, but it's also formulaic and predictable.
½ March 8, 2014
Lessons learned: everybody cheats, everybody lies. It's a game one must learn how to play. Vanity may cause a buzz, but the introvert hero might enjoy a quiet, truer victory in the long run.
February 26, 2014
How can a movie with so many of my favorite ingredients -- Julianne Moore, a Broadway playwright, small town setting, Nathan Lane -- end up tasting so bitter? It has its moments, but they are scattered so sparsely that it's not really worth watching the whole thing to get to them.