Starting To look like the top critics

Are going to be the ones who mess up the tomato meter. It's going to end up with a low 70s high 60s rating, largely because of the top critics pulling he high brow pretentious "gore is bad" card again, as seems to happen with a lot of horror movies. It's too bad, too, as this is a really good film and deserves far more than a 1 start out of 5 from the likes of Richard Roeper. Makes you wonder how films like the original Evil Dead managed to get such a great score.
Wyatt Smith
04-4-2013 11:48 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Frank Vignola

Frank Vignola

And the last three negative reviews were not from top critics...and two of the reviews were a B- and 3/5 stars...but still reviewed as rotten. That's frustrating.

Apr 4 - 12:06 PM

Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith

True. I don't understand how 3/5 and a B- are rotten, but whatever. This is going to be one of those cases, quite obviously, where the negative reactions to the films just don't make sense. Horror films really get so unfairly slighted by critics. I can't think of any other genre in which effective craftsmanship is decried as a NEGATIVE for the film.

Apr 4 - 12:13 PM

Frank Vignola

Frank Vignola

You're being ambitious with you're prediction of high 60s lol cause it's already at 69 and has been rapidly declining....hope you're right though!!

Apr 4 - 11:51 AM

Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith

69...? It's at 73. Or at least the rating I'm looking at is at 73. I don't suspect that the movie is going to suddenly be flooded with endless negative reviews. Obviously the top critics are picking it apart because "ohmygodgorehowdareyou!?!?!" but in general critics are and have been responding well to the movie. I suspect that to continue to be the case. Top critics will bitch, while the average critics give it solid reviews.

Apr 4 - 12:00 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

I'm looking at a 69% as well.

Apr 4 - 12:02 PM

Frank Vignola

Frank Vignola

Yep. 37 Fresh, 17 Rotten.

Apr 4 - 12:03 PM

Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith

It just changed for me as well now. 67%. In reading the reviews ESPECIALLY those of the top critics I'm just baffled. I'll never understand how gore and people dying in a horror film is automatically horrible. I keep going back to the Richard Roeper review. Even if he didn't like it does he REALLY think that a 1 star rating is warranted? Quite obviously that's a person with a vendetta in my opinion.

Apr 4 - 12:11 PM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile