PG-13 Drag Me To Hell > R Evil Dead 2013

If you tell me otherwise, I know not to trust your faith in horror movies. Better directed, better gore, and infinitely more scary AND fun than the new Evil Dead.
blatchy
04-18-2013 04:14 AM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Shannon Skanes

Shannon Skanes

I have Drag Me To Hell and greatly enjoy the new Evil Dead. That said, the DVD has both the PG-13 and unrated version of Drag Me To Hell and I prefer the unrated version myself. Yes, Drag Me To Hell was more fun, but I enjoyed the new Evil Dead movie more.

Apr 18 - 08:19 PM

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

Bad Ash J. Gilmore

Not at all.

Apr 18 - 03:33 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

he may have got 2/4 right, but other than that no comparisons should be made

Apr 18 - 03:55 PM

hollis m.

hollis mills

you cant compare these 2 movies at all

Apr 18 - 03:23 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I've found a flaw in your argument as well. DMTH was a horror comedy,. where as Evil Dead was straight horror.

Apr 18 - 03:08 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I didn't like Drag me to Hell. It felt ,like it was just going through the motions without any soul behind it. Also saying it had better gore is just a straight up lie.

Apr 18 - 01:08 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

wow, that comes off wrong. i will admit it is a well made movie and that it certain;y does have it's moments, but at it's core it just felt like Sam trying to get back in the game after Spiderman 3.

Apr 18 - 01:15 PM

John Tyler

J *

BETTER MOVIE: Drag Me to Hell
SCARIER MOVIE: Evil Dead remake

Apr 18 - 12:26 PM

Chase The Lost

Chase: The Lost Trollfighter

I'm not sure that it's as black and white as you suggest, but I understand your opinion and I agree with it more than I disagree.

Apr 18 - 12:30 PM

John Tyler

J *

Yeah, I actually did that same "black and white" with these two films: I s d o s and S n s e .

BETTER MOVIE: n i i u
SCARIER MOVIE: i i t r

Apr 19 - 11:41 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

First of all, there was no gore in Drag Me to Hell. I don't remember any dismemberment at all in it. It may have been a little more fun, but Evil Dead was scarier. If you think sudden loud noises equals scares, I don't trust YOUR faith in the genre. Being startled is not being scared.

But I enjoyed both films. Drag Me to Hell was more fun, while Evil Dead was scarier and actually had gore. In terms of direction, I'd give it to Raimi for Drag Me to Hell.

Apr 18 - 07:33 AM

jofb716

J B

I didn't jump once, nor was creeped out by anything in the new Evil Dead. When you constantly let the viewer in on the notion that the person has changed, you lose any bit of surprise. At that point, you're just waiting for the gore to happen. COMPLETELY kills the suspense in the scene. Raimi built more suspense in DMTH with Lohman walking through a parking garage than anything in the new ED.

And there was plenty of blood and nasty stuff. When does gore mean dismemberment. What were you watching?

There was no mood built, no build-up, no craft. It was just a straight on horror film and each of the EDs to varying effect were masterful in manipulating the audience.

It's like the new Texas Chainsaws. There's nothing as creepy in the new TCM as the scene in the original of a guy poking a kidnapped girl stuffed into a mail bag with the end of a broom...just like showing a demon constantly in the cellar is not as creepy as knowing something is in the cellar, lying in wait. Everytime they just went to Mia in the cellar, just mugging, i knew right then that the director has no firm grasp of what they are doing.

Apr 18 - 09:37 AM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

Well, I was told by someone that gore referred to dismemberment. That's why in MPAA rating, blood and gore is separate. But whatever. Not going to get into that.

Fear is, like many things, different from person to person. What you find scary, I might not find scary. This is the case here. I was laughing all through Drag Me to Hell. Not even frightened once. The comedic tone ruined any kind of fear in Drag Me to Hell. Evil Dead managed to creep me out several times from some unsettling imagery.

I found Evil Dead ten times better than those shitty TCM remakes/reboots.

Apr 18 - 11:58 AM

Chase The Lost

Agreed.

Apr 18 - 12:24 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

God, when Eric walks into the bathroom and you hear that wet cutting sound. That gave me the willies

Apr 18 - 01:11 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

The letting you in on what was happening before the character knew was deliberate. Fede had statesd that he liked movies where the audience knew more then the characters about what was going on because they were fun.

Apr 18 - 01:13 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

J.B Why do you keep commenting on the forum about how you didn't like it? If you didn't, post it in a review and forget about it.

Apr 18 - 04:33 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Also when was she ever shown in the cellar mugging. I can only think of two times she was shown, where as I can find multiple instances of Bruce Campbell mugging at the camera in the first (which made him awesome)

Apr 18 - 06:49 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Also when was she ever shown in the cellar mugging. I can only think of two times she was shown, where as I can find multiple instances of Bruce Campbell mugging at the camera in the first (which made him awesome). And furthermore, I remember Sheryl poking her head out of the cellar for the majority of it. I think Fede had an excellent grasp of directing, seeing as most of what made the original Evil Dead so loved were mostly flukes (Those shaky cam shots were just there to make the audience motion sick and throw up, not to be suspenseful for example)I wouldn't expect him to recreate it

Apr 18 - 06:56 PM

Ethan Singer

Ethan Singer

i wish there was a like button. JB sums it up perfectly. where was even one scare in evildead? dragmetohell had some real jump moments, by comparison

Apr 25 - 03:43 PM

Ethan Singer

Ethan Singer

i wish there was a like button. JB sums it up perfectly. where was even one scare in evildead? dragmetohell had some real jump moments, by comparison

Apr 25 - 03:43 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

I wish you would stop posting twice and realize scares are subjective, but that's life, right?

Apr 25 - 03:51 PM

Brian Harris

Brian Harris

Oh and Jump scares? that's what you like? Excuse me while i laugh

Apr 25 - 03:52 PM

Bazooka Jew

Bazooka Jew

There is being startled(jump-scares, a lazy and cheap tactic) and creating real horror that genuinely frightens someone.

Horror, is, of course, subjective, so not everyone will feel scared about the same things. The fact that you consider being startled by sudden loud noises as scary, tells me you don't understand horror.

Apr 25 - 07:28 PM

Chase The Lost

You have to understand that Drag Me To Hell was directed by Sam Raimi. It was a fresh idea that was executed very well. I don't think it's fair to compre the two as Evil Dead is a new look of a familiar story. I loved both films and they stand out as some of the best horror shows of the last few years.

Apr 18 - 07:25 AM

blatchy

First Last

LOL That was a greater than sign...

Apr 18 - 04:14 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile