Box Office: Evil Dead Possesses America

Plus, dinosaurs rule IMAX with the release of Jurassic Park 3D

The horror remake Evil Dead led a solid session thanks to a number one debut while holdovers G.I. Joe: Retaliation and The Croods fared well giving the marketplace three films grossing north of $20M each. Plus the 3D re-release of the dino-smash Jurassic Park also scored points with audiences driving the top ten to over $125M in ticket sales. Ticket buyers also caught up on recent hits as four films in the top ten enjoyed low declines of 20-30%.

Sam Raimi scored his second number one hit of the year, this time as just producer, with the horror remake Evil Dead which topped the box office this weekend with an opening of an estimated $26M. Averaging a sizzling $8,595 from 3,025 theaters, the R-rated fright flick earned good reviews and capitalized on a built-in fan base of genre lovers who idolized the 1983 original which Raimi directed. The filmmaker's Oz ranked seventh and remains the highest-grossing film of the year.

The Evil Dead performance was driven by upfront business and all signs show that sales will drop sharply in the days and weeks ahead. Friday kicked off with $11.9M in opening day business which included $1.8M from shows starting at 10:00pm on Thursday night. Saturday then tumbled a disturbing 26% while audiences gave the remake a lousy C+ grade from CinemaScore indicating low customer satisfaction. Sony estimates that Sunday will dip 40% to $5.3M. Studio research showed that 56% of the crowd was male while 56% was 25 and over.

It bested the $21.7M opening of Texas Chainsaw 3D from the first weekend of this year but did nearly match that film's $8,193 average from about 400 fewer theaters. But Evil did not benefit from any 3D surcharges. Dead nearly matched the $28.4M opening of the PG-13 spookfest Mama from January which remains the top horror opening of the year.

Two former number ones held up well and tied for second place with weekend estimates of $21.1M each. Paramount's G.I. Joe: Retaliation fell 48% which was good for an action sequel raising the cume to $86.7M after 11.5 days. The patriotic flick opened midweek taking opening day business off of Friday, but the Easter holidays helped pump up the Friday-to-Sunday opening frame so the decline was quite respectable given the way the film was launched. Joe should reach $130-140M domestically. Overseas markets grossed an estimated $40.2M boosting the international take to $145.2M and the worldwide tally up to $231.9M with China and Japan still to come. Produced for $130M, Retaliation may find itself with global grosses of $450M or more easily beating the $302M of its 2009 predecessor which cost more to make.

Pulling in the same weekend gross, but with a slimmer 21% dip, was the animated hit The Croods from Fox and DreamWorks Animation. The cavepeople pic, still the only toon in town for families, lifted its cume to a stellar $125.8M after 17 days and is now on course to reach roughly $190M from North America. If it continues to post strong holds - no new kidpics open this entire month - then it even has a shot at hitting the $200M mark.

Croods is now playing out much like the leggy DreamWorks hit How To Train Your Dragon from three years ago. Opening weekends were $43.6M and $43.7M, respectively. Second weekend declines were 39%/34% and third weekend drops were 21%/14%. After the same number of days, Croods is running less than 6% behind the $133.4M of Dragon which eventually ended with $217.6M. Worldwide, the pre-historic comedy has now amassed $332.6M surpassing the $304M final of the last DreamWorks title, Rise of the Guardians, on its way to the $500M mark and beyond.

The 3D re-release of Steven Spielberg's dinosaur mega-hit Jurassic Park found a sizable new audience grossing an estimated $18.2M from 2,771 theaters for a solid $6,585 average. Compared to recent 3D upgrades, it was better than the $16.7M of September's Finding Nemo and the $17.3M bow of Titanic from this same weekend last year, but below the $22.5M of Star Wars Episode I from February 2012. An amazingly high 32% ($6M+) of the weekend gross came from 312 IMAX screens. Moviegoers felt this was an experience worth paying extra for. Universal spent $10M to convert the film to 3D.

As a brand name, Spielberg remains popular with audiences continuing to pay to see his imaginative and thrilling adventures on the big screen. Studio research showed that 55% of the audience was male and 54% was 25 and older. Jurassic Park grossed $357.1M during its original run in 1993 and now stands at $375.3M lifetime putting it at number 20 on the list of all-time domestic blockbusters. The 3D re-release was also aimed at re-invigorating the Jurassic Park brand since the fourth chapter in the series will be shot soon for a summer release next year. As with the last installment, Spielberg will produce but not direct.

Two spring hits tied for fifth place with $10M a piece, according to estimates. The FilmDistrict actioner Olympus Has Fallen declined by an encouraging 29% in its third round pumping the cume up to a sturdy $71.1M. Look for a final gross of more than $90M with an outside chance of even reaching $100M if positive buzz from action fans keeps spreading. Next weekend will see no new action titles opening. Tyler Perry's Temptation fell by 54% in its second weekend which was average for the filmmaker. With $38.4M in ten days, Lionsgate could end up with around $55M.

Oz the Great and Powerful held up well in its fifth weekend grossing an estimated $8.2M, off just 30%, for a $212.8M cume to date. With international markets kicking in an additional $13.6M, the worldwide total now stands at $454.1M as 2013's top blockbuster. The sci-fi flop The Host fell 51% in its sophomore round to an estimated $5.2M. Open Road has collected a dull $19.7M in ten days and will finish off with roughly $30M.

Female-driven movies The Call and Admission rounded out the top ten with estimated weekend takes of $3.5M and $2.1M, respectively. The Halle Berry thriller dipped only 29% for a healthy $45.5M cume for Sony while the Tina Fey dramedy declined by 37% giving Focus a lackluster $15.4M to date.

It was an active weekend in the specialty marketplace. Danny Boyle's new psychological crime thriller Trance debuted to sparkling results with an estimated $136,000 from only four theaters in New York and Los Angeles for a potent $34,000 average. Fox Searchlight goes nationwide into nearly 400 theaters on Friday. Sony Classics opened Robert Redford's newest film The Company You Keep in just five locations grossing an estimated $146,000 for a sturdy $29,200 average. The Shia LaBeouf pic will take a slower path with another 25 sites next weekend, an additional 75 on April 19, and then nationwide on the 26th.

Focus enjoyed solid results for its second weekend expansion of the Ryan Gosling-Bradley Cooper starrer The Place Beyond The Pines which went from four to 30 playdates collecting an estimated $695,000 this weekend for an encouraging $23,167 average. Friday marks its national break with about 450 theaters in play.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $125.4M which was up 9% from last year when The Hunger Games stayed at number one for a third time with $33.1M; and up 28% from 2011 when Hop stayed in the top spot with $21.3M in its sophomore session.

Get earlier box office updates and analysis by following BoxOfficeGuru.com on Twitter.

Comments

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Can't wait to finally see Trance and Pines. Glad Evil Dead did well.

Apr 7 - 03:31 PM

Kate W.

Kate Williams

What Steffi narrated its one of best home based work that one can make $7200 or more in 1 month by promoting website articles, uploading picture or video on Home Profit, did you read the page wow42.?om

Apr 12 - 11:54 AM

Kate W.

Kate Williams

what Kate said its wonderful that one can make about $6500 in monthly by uploading music/video clips on HomeProfit, did you read the page at http://cutt.us/Career

Apr 12 - 11:55 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Evil Dead was just another lousy remake, carrying over none of the fun of the series. The movie had plenty of gore, but none of the other elements which made it fun in the first place. I can't count the number of times I rolled my eyes at the screen. Whoever thought this movie is a good remake obviously doesn't understand what this is sposed to be.

Apr 7 - 03:36 PM

Andrew Korkmas

Andrew Korkmas

Well Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell produced it, so I guess they did. But I'm kinda with you, I didn't think the movie was bad but I didn't think it was good either. I think the advertising trailers were actually better than the end result. But whatever, I guess I'll just stick to Evil Dead 2.
On an unrelated note, glad to see G.I. Joe keeping up. It was fun if a bit stupid, movie and easily an improvement over Rise of Cobra

Apr 7 - 04:24 PM

Brian Harris

You mean like the first with it's lousy acting and effects that made a bunch of people think it was fun when it was supposed to be a straight horror film?

Apr 7 - 04:31 PM

C.J. H.

C.J. Hines

lol

Apr 7 - 05:15 PM

Janson Jinnistan

It's well known by now that the new "Evil Dead" is better suited to those who weren't true fans of the original. Raimi's film, like Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste" and Robert Rodriguez's "El Mariachi", are films that that are crude by the necessity of their budgets. Thus the mother of invention for their sheer creativity. "Creative" is not a word I've heard anyone use for the new film. It's perfect for audiences who can't tell the difference.

Apr 7 - 05:58 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

The new one looks way to clean. You can really see the deadness and lack of fear in the eyes of the ambercrombie and fitch models as well. "oh man..woa..what's going on..it's like woa...I'm totally scared and stuff..for True" appears to be the attitude of the remake while in the old one you can actually see the actors becoming startled by the screaming raging demons.

To the new actors credits it is hard to react to tennis balls and green screens.

Apr 8 - 08:22 AM

Brian Harris

I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide who is a true fan of the Evil Dead or not. And I will say it, it was creative.

Apr 10 - 06:10 PM

and Bradly, there wasn't any green screen

Apr 10 - 06:18 PM

Janson Jinnistan

If you decide to say "The Evil Dead" is "lousy", then I don't feel so bad deciding that you may not be a fan.

Apr 11 - 03:04 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

No, the innovative way the directors made due with what they had , and still managed to make a film that achieved cult status. The new one had the funding, but lacked the quirkiness which is what drew people to the series. Janson is right when he says it's perfect for audiences too stupid to know better.

Apr 7 - 10:31 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

That's a damn shame. Some friends of mine told me similar. I was looking forward to it, being a big fan of the original since childhood.

Apr 7 - 11:57 PM

Brian Harris

Don't worry David. The movie actually manages to be pretty damn funny at times. You just can't watch it and take it to seriously.

Apr 10 - 06:11 PM

JJ ..

JJ .

Well, just because people may like the remake, it doesn't mean they are stupid. I myself enjoyed the film, but I haven't seen the original so I have nothing to compare this movie to. But that's the thing. You keep comparing this movie to the original. Usually, reboots and remakes don't overtake their predecessor. So if you didn't have such high hopes, you may actually have had a decent evening.

Apr 13 - 09:42 AM

JJ ..

JJ .

Oh, and I agree with Brian.

Apr 13 - 09:42 AM

Matt Jordan

Matt Jordan

Saw it this weekend, and i have to say i was more than pleased. I've already seen The Evil Dead, show me something new something different. And that, in my opinion, is what Alvarez did. I'm tried of all the re-hash movies of the genre we've been getting. I think a director fails when they try to capture whatever the original film had by filming it scene for scene/word for word. That is boring and they will never live up to the original. Evil Dead is a completely different film that The Evil Dead (even slightly changed the title) and I was okay with that. Still love the original and it will always hold a special place in my horror heart, but i think what they've done with the new re-imaging was great and it didn't diminish from the original in any way. If you go into expecting the same thing you felt when you first saw The Evil Dead than you will be disappointed.But if you are able to close the nostalgia gate and enjoy it for what it is you might be able to enjoy it. And let me give thanks to the use of hand made make up effects, i know there was some CGI stuff going on. But from what i could see this was good old fashioned 70's and 80's horror make up on that screen. Thank you.

Apr 8 - 01:32 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

If the remake is a completely different film than the original, there is no reason to name it the same thing besides trying to pilfer money from fans of the original. I didn't expect a scene for scene rehash, but I did expect it to be fun...and it simply wasn't.

Apr 9 - 02:51 AM

Brian Harris

The Thing was completely different then The Thing from Another World. The Fly had a different story then the 1950's version. The best remakes are the ones that do something different from the original. However, the point in moot because Evil Dead isn't a remake.

Apr 10 - 06:13 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The difference here is that the remakes were actually good.

Apr 11 - 05:30 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

26 mil seems about right for Evil Dead. It seemed a bit overhyped.

Apr 7 - 03:52 PM

Andrew Korkmas

Andrew Korkmas

Apr 7 - 04:24 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I am glad people went and saw Evil Dead and that it was actually halfway decent from what I hear.

Apr 7 - 04:29 PM

Diana Williams-Pepe

Diana Williams-Pepe

Save your money!

Apr 7 - 08:35 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

lol Thank you for the advice :)

Apr 8 - 05:05 PM

Apr 10 - 06:11 PM

JJ ..

JJ .

Apr 13 - 09:42 AM

JJ ..

JJ .

Oh, and I agree with Brian.

Apr 13 - 09:42 AM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Still need to see The Place Beyond the Pines, hopefully it will open near me this weekend. I will rent Evil Dead in a few months; looks like it could be a fun gross out fright flick, but nothing too amazing.

Apr 7 - 04:32 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I was lucky enough to get to see The Place Beyond the Pines. It was only playing in 2 theaters in LA! Movie was excellent in my opinion.

Apr 10 - 04:30 PM

SecondBest

This Guy

Saw The Croods...It was really funny and a little cheesy. Glad it is doing well.

Apr 7 - 05:08 PM

C.J. H.

C.J. Hines

Evil Dead will be lucky to make $60 million domestically. Fingers crossed for a sequel!

Apr 7 - 05:13 PM

Brian Harris

One is already being made.

Apr 10 - 06:15 PM

JJ ..

JJ .

Yep. There is supposed to be an Army of Darkness 2. But, unless they pull something spectacular, I doubt it'll even live up to Evil Dead, much less The Evil Dead.

Apr 13 - 09:46 AM

C.J. H.

C.J. Hines

lol

Apr 7 - 05:15 PM

Paul Yawn

Paul Yawn

Just came from the theater from which I had the misfortune of purchasing movie tickets for the new Evil Dead. Yes, I had slashing, blood everywhere, but no story to keep interest other just the repeated slashing.

Apr 7 - 05:30 PM

JJ ..

JJ .

That's what they meant to do, wise guy. At least I think so. I'm thinking this is half a film: the story line in the original and the gore Rami wanted here. This movie was more meant for easy audiences or people who were fans of the original, but not too great where they'd point out every single problem. That's my theory.

Apr 13 - 09:47 AM

Apr 7 - 05:58 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Apr 8 - 08:22 AM

Apr 10 - 06:10 PM

and Bradly, there wasn't any green screen

Apr 10 - 06:18 PM

Apr 11 - 03:04 PM

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

I caught G.I. Joe this weekend. It was a loud, fun, action flick but the story was forgettable. Bring on Oblivion and Iron Man 3! As well as the Catching Fire trailer next Sunday!

Apr 7 - 06:29 PM

Andrew Davis

Andrew Davis

Even though Fede Alvarez already said it at SXSW, WOOO SEQUEL TO EVIL DEAD REMAKE AND SEQUEL TO ARMY OF DARKNESS (Plus, according to Wondercon, a crossover between the stories of the remakes and the originals where Ash will be fighting deadites with (not going any further to avoid spoilers)).

Apr 7 - 07:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"It?s all speculation, it?s all bullshit, there are no answers to any questions yet, but it?s now part of the conversation whereas it hadn?t really been before." -- Bruce Campbell, speaking at Wondercon about the Army of Darkness sequel

Apr 7 - 07:28 PM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

We should get a sequel to My Name is Bruce.

Apr 8 - 12:22 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

My Name is Still Bruce.

Apr 8 - 05:53 AM

greg b.

greg baltzer

They've been planning it. It's called Bruce vs. Frankenstein....no lie.

Apr 10 - 12:31 AM

David Tanny

Big Fat Jewish Guy

That sounds amazing.

Apr 10 - 02:39 PM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday