The Ewok Adventure (1984)

TOMATOMETER

No Top Critics Tomatometer score yet...

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Movie Info

Aimed especially at children and featuring the cuddly and mischievous Ewoks--the big-eyed, fuzzy little forest-dwelling aliens from Return of the Jedi,--this special-effects laden made-for-television sci-fi fantasy tells the story of how the Ewoks help two kids who have been stranded on the planet Endor to find their parents. A second television film, Ewoks: The Battle for Endor also aired.

Rating: G

as Wicket

as Catarine Towani

as Widdle

as Jeremitt

as Special Guest Narrat...

as Chukha-Trok
Show More Cast

News & Interviews for The Ewok Adventure

Friend Ratings

No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.

Critic Reviews for The Ewok Adventure

All Critics (11) | Top Critics (1)

Short on action by Lucasfilm standards, stuffed with toothy teddies which lack the charm of Phase One Gremlins, or the wit of any muppet.

Full Review… | January 26, 2006
Time Out
Top Critic

The characterizations aren't strong enough to carry it, and the children who are attracted to the Ewoks-at-home sequences will probably be scared to death by the effects work.

August 13, 2008

Is there such a thing as 'sucks, lovingly'? I guess there is...

October 22, 2003
New Times

Oh boy, here comes Wicket the Ewok a.k.a Arnold Drummond with fur

February 19, 2003
Henderson Home News (Henderson, NV)

Some of the worst stuff to crumble off of the Original Trilogy.

July 25, 2002
eFilmCritic.com

March 17, 2008
CinemaBlend.com

Audience Reviews for The Ewok Adventure

So back in 84 if you had seen Lucas and some Ewoks running around the redwood forests in California you could of been mistaken for thinking another Star Wars epic was on the way. No matter how badly we 80's kids prayed that was unfortunately not true, but we did get a semi decent Star Wars based adventure.

Set in between 'Empire' and 'Jedi' this film gives us a little more insight into the forest moon of the gas giant Endor. We see more native creatures, more of the moon and of course more Ewok culture. Now back in the day this film was actually regarded pretty highly, mainly because we had NOTHING else film wise based around Star Wars.

Upon a re watch the film still does hold its own very well. Lucas was in charge for both of these Ewok films and to be honest he did a fair job. The film is completely for kids obviously utilizing little human kids and good old 'Wicket' so you can't moan at the utter campy naffness there is. Acting is dubious and dialog is very basic, but you gotta give credit to Lucas for making a lot of the film in native Ewok tongue and having a narrator tell us the audience what the the hell going on. Almost like 'Dances with Wolves' for Star Wars hehe...I said almost.

So the rather annoying surly 'Mace' and his totally babyish blonde barbie doll little sister head off to rescue their parents from the 'Gorax'. A creature I have found out has been worked into the official Star Wars universe and is cannon, kinda cool. Along the way the team of kiddies and Ewoks run into other species that are of course nasty and generally have to work together to succeed. There are some nice creatures here, basic puppets, animation or stop motion, but its fine, kinda charming much like the old Harryhausen flicks and other old barbarian fantasy films. The film has that warm 80's 'Willow' type atmosphere, a sense of wonder and imagination that is absolutely great for young kids.

The main bad guy in the film is the 'Gorax' which is a man in a suit get up. The makeup is pretty good on this character and his whole look does fit with the 'wookie' species approach for the Endor moon. In general effects aren't overly great these days (of course), the giant spider in the 'Gorax' lair is brilliantly bad and the final fatal moment for the 'Gorax' also looks really hokey, but hey this ain't no mega budget film. Some nice good old fashioned matte painting work evident too.

Yes its childish and corny, yes some locations on Endor's moon looks suspiciously like California, yes the two main human kid characters are completely generic looking with 'Mace' obviously looking like a young 'Luke', but its still fun. Lucas did a good job here in my opinion, the film is perfect for its target audience and fun for everyone else too...if you like Star Wars. Supposedly cannon within the Star Wars universe also which is interesting.

phubbs1
Phil Hubbs

Sweet Fairy Tale.

ScoopOnline
Wahida K

½

I thought it was fun and fairly well done for a t.v. movie. Sure, it's nowhere near the magic that makes Star Wars, but for the purpose it serves it's decent. I actually enjoyed the Ewoks in this and they gave them some actual personality, as opposed to being crazy teddy bears in ROTJ.

ythelastman89
Conner Rainwater

The Ewok Adventure Quotes

– Submitted by Daniel T (3 years ago)

Discussion Forum

Discuss The Ewok Adventure on our Movie forum!