Critics Consensus: The Expendables Isn't Explosive Enough

Plus, Eat, Pray, Love is skin deep, and Scott Pilgrim is Certified Fresh

This week at the movies, we've got elite mercenaries (The Expendables, starring Sylvester Stallone and Jason Statham), a journey of self-discovery (Eat, Pray, Love, starring Julia Roberts and Javier Bardem), and a geek-turned-hero (Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, starring Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead). What do the critics have to say?
41%
Template Image
Rotten

The Expendables

Sly Stallone directs and stars in The Expendables, and he's got a veritable army of your favorite action stars along for the ride, including Jason Statham, Jet Li, Mickey Rourke, and Terry Crews. Sounds like a rip-roaring good time, right? Well, critics say that while this old-school action flick is jam-packed with star power and explosions, it's sadly short on imagination and decent plotting. Stallone stars as the leader of a band of mercenaries who've been hired to take out the puppet dictator of a fictional rogue nation. The pundits say The Expendables delivers some impressive, impossibly over-the-top action that harkens back to Sly's 1980s heyday, but it's a stale, humorless affair. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down Stallone's best-reviewed movies.)

36%
Template Image
Rotten

Eat, Pray, Love

Elizabeth Gilbert's 2006 memoir Eat, Pray, Love made her the darling of book clubs across the nation, for obvious reasons: her witty travelogue acted as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for readers longing for globe-trotting, tasty meals, and a little amore. However, critics are less than enchanted by the movie, which, despite the luminous presence of Julia Roberts, is skin-deep and cliché-ridden. Roberts stars as a well-to-do woman who, after a painful divorce, travels the world in search of spiritual actualization and -- of course -- romance. The pundits say Roberts is magnetic, and the scenery is often breathtaking, but Eat, Pray, Love is short on profound insights despite its overextended runtime.

82%
Template Image
Fresh

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Is Scott Pilgrim vs. the World a comic book movie? Is it a video game movie? It's both, and much more, say critics, who find this irrepressible action/comedy tough to resist. Michael Cera stars as Scott, an unemployed layabout whose life changes when he meets Ramona (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) the girl of his dreams. However, in order to win her, he must defeat her seven evil exes. The pundits say the Certified Fresh Scott Pilgrim sometimes suffers from excess, but what glorious excess it is -- director Edgar Wright has fashioned a fast-and-furious miasma of pop culture references that's heartfelt and very funny, sure to delight geeks and non-fanboys (and girls) alike with its manic, inspired sense of fun.

Also opening this week in limited release:

• Animal Kingdom, a drama about the fall of an Aussie crime family, is Certified Fresh at 93 percent.
  • Neshoba, a documentary about the murders of three Civil Rights workers in 1964, is at 88 percent.
  • Peepli Live, a satire of contemporary Indian politics and media, is at 75 percent.
  • Tales from Earthsea, a fantasy anime feature from Goro Miyazaki (the son of the legendary animator Hayao Miyazaki), is at 48 percent.
  • Salt of This Sea, a drama about an American woman who attempts to find her Palestinian roots, is at 33 percent.
  • La Soga, a drama about a secret police hitman who has a crisis of confidence, is at 25 percent.

Comments

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

I'll be passing out gas masks to all my fellow males at the theater showing The Expendables so we don't have to smell all the estrogen and period blood coming from the theater next door showing eat pray love!

Aug 12 - 04:57 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Yikes! And I thought I was misogynistic! lol.

Aug 12 - 08:50 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Since *when* are you misogynistic, exactly?

If I cared about this kid I'd feel bad about the culture-shock he's in for when he hits puberty.

Aug 13 - 06:22 AM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

lol. Granted, I'm never all that misogynistic on these boards 'cause, well, I try to display class. But baby, talk to me on a bad day after a few drinks.

Aug 13 - 07:21 PM

OldLeftie

Seth Eben Shapiro

damn! And I was hoping to gas you with aenesthesia in order to perform that lobotomy you so desperately need!

Aug 12 - 11:35 PM

MJ

Mardia Joan

ohsnap

Aug 13 - 04:33 PM

DoctorSubmarine

Josh Rosenfield

Don't worry. He's had one already.

Aug 13 - 06:04 PM

will s.

will stamp

zingers! flying EVERY which way!

Aug 13 - 09:40 PM

Russell

Ridley Fox

Now now. Guys watch chick flicks too. Especially if they expect to get some action from their dates later on in the evening. Let's show some consideration.

Aug 15 - 12:02 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

can't wait to see Scott Pilgrim!! WOOO!!!!

Aug 12 - 05:17 PM

Evan D.

Evan Dang

Box Office Guesses
1.Scott Pilgrim( due to much better reviews and has a huge dedicated fanbase)
2.Expendables(many because of those with nostalgia of seeing all of these action heroes, also because it's a much more accessable flim)
5.Eat Pray Love(due to low reviews and lack of a huge audience)

Aug 12 - 05:29 PM

Shantak

David Finnila

I honestly think Expendibles will be #1 simply because it is an action movie and people will want to see the explosions on the big screen. It will appeal to a larger audience all around and while I really want to see both, Scott Pilgrim doesn't look like it would suffer from being on a smaller screen.

Aug 12 - 05:32 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

I agree with Expendables being number 1. I have heard from a lot of people who don't go to theaters say they want to go see it.

Aug 12 - 05:51 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Weird, D. Maybe I've been absent too long, but I swear this is the first post I've read of yours that wasn't in some way... evil. lol. No offense.

Aug 14 - 06:25 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

Expendables numero uno !

Aug 13 - 02:17 PM

Russell

Ridley Fox

the Expendables will do well because it's an action fan's wet dream to see all big name celebrities in the same movie.

Aug 15 - 12:03 PM

Terry K.

Terry Kang

The Expendables might not even be #2. A lot of people think this movie will do well but not many say they're going to watch it.

Aug 13 - 02:29 AM

Brendon D.

Brendon Day

I usually go to see horror films and even i want to go see it. i am expecting explosions and a lot of action, nothing more nothing less and with the cast i am sure it will deliver

Aug 14 - 09:59 AM

Aug 13 - 02:17 PM

Russell

Ridley Fox

Aug 15 - 12:03 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

I think Eat Pray Love looks good. Plus, it has Julia Roberts and a pretty effective ad campaign. They chose great songs for the trailers. I think it'll take #1.

Aug 12 - 05:44 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

When will people figure out Julia Roberts is overated?

Aug 12 - 05:51 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

I already have that one figured out.

Aug 12 - 05:58 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Thank god someone agrees.

Ugh.

Aug 12 - 06:22 PM

frothy

D F

If enough people figure it out, then by definition she will no longer be overrated!

Aug 12 - 06:39 PM

frothy

D F

Aug 12 - 06:39 PM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

While I know that who makes it, and who doesn't, in Hollywood isn't necessarily based on talent, it still sucks that Julia Roberts became the big star even though her brother Eric Roberts is a better actor.

Aug 12 - 07:41 PM

John H.

John Hurson

What's worse is that with her star power, Julia Roberts could have helped her brother Eric's career out a great deal. To my knowledge, they've never appeared together in any of her films. Ron Howard doesn't leave his brother out in the cold.

Aug 13 - 04:25 AM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Bite your tongue sir! I love me some Julia Roberts. It started at a young age since she was in one of my favorite childhood movies, Hook. Pretty Woman is a classic and let's not forget Erin Brokovich(sp?). Oscar! She's fantastic. I would REALLY like to see her go against type and do a dark, gritty, badass chick role. I'm picturing leather pants, stilleto boots and some serious ass kicking. That would be fun.

Aug 12 - 09:26 PM

Cory

Cory B

I'm surprised to hear myself saying this, but I'd like to see that too. A change of pace for Roberts would certainly be fun to watch, if nothing else, just to see how she does. I don't see any reason why she couldn't pull it off.

Aug 13 - 12:23 AM

bark624

Brian Kirsch

Guess you guys missed "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind" or "Closer" or several other movies she has made. Don't blame her for not broadening her roles, blame yourself for being ignorant and not realizing that she has done just that in the last decade.....

Aug 13 - 05:47 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

@bark624 Well aren't you just a goddamn ray of sunshine.

Aug 13 - 08:50 PM

Tall Cool One

Tall Cool One !

Yeah, I don't know what it is about her but I think I ...hate her...yeah.

Aug 13 - 05:05 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Negative now ago.

Aug 13 - 11:09 PM

Nadav R.

Nadav Raz

She's not overrated, just pro-estrogen movies tend to suck massive cock.

Aug 12 - 05:59 PM

Bjornar

A B

It's odd, at first blush one would think your comment was from a stereotypical insensitive man. But then we deconstruct it. The negative tone towards women makes sense, but the latter half implying a negative connotation to felatio is confusing. To make sense I'm left infering you mean males doing the sucking, or is it that the reference to "massive" implies said phallus is certainly not yours. I guess it's not a stretch for the statement to be down on both women and gays or just women and an allusion to the inadequacy of your unit.

That being said, my wife will be seeing Eat, Pray, Love with her girlfriends while I head out with some dudes to see The Expendables--but not because either has anything to do with sucking massive anything.

Aug 16 - 11:25 AM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

Aug 12 - 05:51 PM

Matanuki

Matanuki .

Aug 14 - 06:25 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

When will people figure out Julia Roberts is overated?

Aug 12 - 05:51 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

I already have that one figured out.

Aug 12 - 05:58 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Thank god someone agrees.

Ugh.

Aug 13 - 12:23 AM

bark624

Brian Kirsch

Aug 13 - 05:47 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

@bark624 Well aren't you just a goddamn ray of sunshine.

Aug 13 - 08:50 PM

Tall Cool One

Tall Cool One !

Yeah, I don't know what it is about her but I think I ...hate her...yeah.

Aug 13 - 05:05 PM

Floor Man

Floor Man

Negative now ago.

Aug 13 - 11:09 PM

Jake

Jake Armistead

Can't wait for The Expendables.

Aug 12 - 05:54 PM

Bye bye

Steven Bailey

I already have that one figured out.

Aug 12 - 05:58 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Thank god someone agrees.

Ugh.

Aug 12 - 06:22 PM

Nadav R.

Nadav Raz

She's not overrated, just pro-estrogen movies tend to suck massive cock.

Aug 12 - 05:59 PM

Bjornar

A B

Aug 16 - 11:25 AM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

I can't wait to watch Scott Pilgrim VS the World, as I am a huge fan of the comic book series. I know EXPENDABLES and SCOTT PILGRIM are going to be hits,as they all have a huge fanbase but EAT,PRAY,LOVE is gonna be a moderate hit or just flop, as it does have many fans of the book, and we all know about how shitty movies based on good romance books usually get a ton of money (TWILIGHT, DEAR JOHN, etc)

Aug 12 - 06:02 PM

Justin M.

Justin Montello

Scott Pilgrim will destroy all....I will movie hop over to Expendables and wait for HBO on Eat Pray Love nuff said!

Aug 12 - 06:04 PM

waggaga1

noel noel

I have been waiting for so long to see Scott Pilgrim!

Aug 12 - 06:09 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Thank god someone agrees.

Ugh.

Aug 12 - 06:22 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships