Critics Consensus: The Expendables 2 Is (Mostly) Big, Dumb Fun
Plus, ParaNorman is Certified Fresh, The Odd Life of Timothy Green is sweet but weird, and Sparkle is predictable but strong.
Also opening this week in limited release:
- Compliance, a thriller about a fast food restaurant employee who gets into deep trouble after being accused of a crime she didn't commit, is at 94 percent.
- Side by Side, a documentary about advances in digital filmmaking narrated by Keanu Reeves, is at 92 percent.
- Robot & Frank, starring Frank Langella and Susan Sarandon in a sci-fi comedy about an older man who teaches a humanoid robot how to steal, is at 88 percent.
- Chicken with Plums, a dramedy about a great musician who reflects on his life after breaking his prized violin, is at 81 percent.
- The Awakening, starring Rebecca Hall and Dominic West in a period horror film about a woman who investigates the appearance of a ghost at a boys' school, is at 67 percent.
- David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis, starring Robert Pattinson as a young billionaire who takes a wild trek across Manhattan, is at 65 percent.
- Beloved, starring Catherine Deneuve and Ludivine Sagnier in a decade-spanning musical about the love lives of two Parisian women, is at 64 percent.
- Why Stop Now, starring Jesse Eisenberg and Melissa Leo in a dramedy about a pianist who must take his mother to rehab before his big audition, is at 36 percent.