The Fields

The Fields Reviews

December 31, 2013
What a waste of time
November 3, 2013
Decent acting, good soundwork, worst ending.
October 28, 2013
As someone who knows a lot of people who worked on this movie, and as someone who is from the area it was filmed in, I really wanted to like this film. Unfortunately, it only succeeds in some areas. Long story short, this movie is interminably boring. I understand that psychological horror movies require patience (believe me, they're my favorite kind of horror movie), but this one wears mine thin. While it succeeds at occasionally being a little creepy, mostly it's just long scene after long scene building up to a climax that will most likely make you say 'Huh?' more than 'Oh my god!'. It honestly is just not the least bit scary.

Trying to show it from the child main character's perspective was a good move, but they really didn't have enough story here for the actors or editor to work with. The acting, by the way, is actually not that bad, and special attention should be paid to the grandparents of our protagonist, both of whom are actually pretty good. Tara Reid and Faust Checo are both forgettable as his neglectful parents and Brian Anthony Wilson is not too bad for the short time he's on screen. That being said, nothing can make up for just the sheer boredom that this movie creates, and the ending shot with the CG stick flying into the camera is laughable. I'll give this 2.5 stars (and that's being generous!) because it's heart is in the right place and it has good aspects to it, but overall this thriller leaves a lot to be desired.
October 27, 2013
Cloris Leachman at her best. A good film for this reason alone.
July 23, 2013
It is a very good film, but it is NOT HORROR as it is promoted. It is a drama-suspense film. Cloris is magnificent in her role as a granny. It is a bit slow but worth to watch.
John W.
June 21, 2013
slow, confused, and pretentious does not make a film "artistic" or "deep", it just makes it slow, confused, and pretentious.
June 6, 2013
Cinematically well made, but has a lackluster storyline (based on recollections of the writer's own childhood - which basically seems more fantasy than fact). There are moments of true creepiness - like the dirty bathtub filled with the "chewed out" faces of Washington from dollar bills, the possibly in-bred siblings living in the basement of the Grace's house (whose unintelligible gibberish only adds to the creep factor), and just about any scene with Eugene in it (when he reached from offscreen to touch Steven's curly locks, I almost crawled out of my skin.) The actors have an authenticity to them which is good, and the movie does pick up the pace in the last 15 minutes. However, it's not more than a two-star film for me. I feel as if this movie had great potential, with so many chill-inducing elements, but no ability to link them together into a cohesive whole, let alone use them to build up in a bone-chilling crescendo for the finale. The writer should have deleted the "based on true events" and instead used his childhood memories as elements to give viewers a real thrills and chills story.
March 25, 2013
Thought it was excellent. It was just the psychological movie I was looking for, it was artistic and used elements of real human emotion instead of just disgusting images to "shock" an audience. I wouldn't figure that many people appreciate this movie for what it is worth because it was slower and now a days it seems that movies rely so much on visual effect that it takes a special audience to like this movie. It was perfect to me except I think they would have done better if they would have picked a different actress to play Tara Reid's part. The acting, to me, was superb except for her role in the movie. I would recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates a film that takes some time to write and uses psychology to capture an audience rather than high priced effects. Am I going to watch it again? Oh yes.
January 31, 2013
Young Steven is sent to live on his grandparents' farm, where he finds a dead body hidden amongst the corn fields. Unsure of who to trust, Steven keeps the information to himself, but whatever is lurking in the corn now has his scent! There is a heartfelt story buried somewhere within THE FIELDS, but it has yet to be discovered. The film feels like a hazy memory, and one that is filled with irrelevant facts and details that in no way serve to better the plot. At best, it represents the underlying fear and paranoia that spread following the Manson Murders, however, the remote location and un-compelling characters do nothing to draw us in. The documentary-style filming does lend an air of authenticity to the events, along with the set and costume designs. Although we want to root for Joshua Ormond as Steven, he simply isn't prepared to carry the male lead in a feature film. Between this and the general inactivity on-screen, it becomes difficult to recommend THE FIELDS to anyone outside of the True Crime enthusiasts.
January 7, 2013
Not worth your time. While it does have its suspenseful moments, and Cloris Leachman is, as always, superb, its trite, and predictable. See something else.
December 20, 2012
boring, no suspense...nothing scarey here...waste of time
November 10, 2012
Unbelievably horrible. I wish I could get the last couple hours of my life back. I saw this movie for free and I paid too much. Don't waste your time.
October 8, 2012
I have no idea when or what makes this a "thriller". My husband and I gave up after 30 minutes - although Cloris Leachman was a hoot-and-a-half!
September 29, 2012
interesting low budgeter with some good performances and a few good film references, can you spot them?
July 27, 2012
a terrible movie, unless you like swearingJesus' and God's name in vain.
July 4, 2012
I couldn't stand to watch more than 15 minutes of this movie. The script seems pasted together from random newspaper bits and Tara Reid is completely lifeless and unbelievable as a mother. Ugh.
April 24, 2012
The film is best at recreating the atmosphere--using sounds, lighting, characters who are slightly off--from the boy's point of view, how things that are darkly odd can become downright scarringly freaky to a sensitive child. Unfortunately, the film itself fails to hang together satisfactorily.
Daniel M.
June 18, 2012
This movie moved so slow I fast forwarded to the end wondering if anything ever actually happens... A guy hung himself from the rafters in a barn. I suddenly realized I was standing in a chair with a thick rope in my hands... fast forward saved my life ( at least an hour or so of it )
June 17, 2012
I can't seem to give this an even lower rating. I waited to see if anything would happen, nothing ever did - a complete waste of time and film. Terrorized ? Some idiot breaks the windows of the house, runs around and knocks things down a couple of nights. Mysterious presence - what mysterious presence? So, what time of year was it suppose to be? half the corn field was green, but most of it was long dead - should have been plowed under long ago. All this because some kid heard about Charles Manson, some hippies show up, and some farm hand has either mental issues or is an addict. The kid grew up to make a lousy movie.
June 16, 2012
I watched this movie and came away with WTF???????? I have no clue, it was stupid, dumb, ignorant, and all the other adjectives you can think of.