The Fields

100% Da Vinci's Demons: Season 2
100% Orphan Black: Season 2

The Fields Reviews

January 11, 2014
The Fields was OK. Nothing special, but enjoyable. This is the story of a young boy being looked after his grandparents while his parents work things out. He was given one rule. Don't go into the corn field. So naturally he does and bad things begin to happen.

This movie is interesting in that all of the 'horror' happens off screen, not even seen or even directly referenced. However, it is more from the point of view of this young boy and his handling of it, and trying to understand it. At the same time Charles Manson has just been caught and the media is having a hayday, which of course adds to the paranoia and fear of this boy.

The story was good overall, and acting pretty decent.
December 31, 2013
What a waste of time
November 3, 2013
Decent acting, good soundwork, worst ending.
October 28, 2013
As someone who knows a lot of people who worked on this movie, and as someone who is from the area it was filmed in, I really wanted to like this film. Unfortunately, it only succeeds in some areas. Long story short, this movie is interminably boring. I understand that psychological horror movies require patience (believe me, they're my favorite kind of horror movie), but this one wears mine thin. While it succeeds at occasionally being a little creepy, mostly it's just long scene after long scene building up to a climax that will most likely make you say 'Huh?' more than 'Oh my god!'. It honestly is just not the least bit scary.

Trying to show it from the child main character's perspective was a good move, but they really didn't have enough story here for the actors or editor to work with. The acting, by the way, is actually not that bad, and special attention should be paid to the grandparents of our protagonist, both of whom are actually pretty good. Tara Reid and Faust Checo are both forgettable as his neglectful parents and Brian Anthony Wilson is not too bad for the short time he's on screen. That being said, nothing can make up for just the sheer boredom that this movie creates, and the ending shot with the CG stick flying into the camera is laughable. I'll give this 2.5 stars (and that's being generous!) because it's heart is in the right place and it has good aspects to it, but overall this thriller leaves a lot to be desired.
October 27, 2013
Creepy but not violent, the fields left me unsettled. Although the ending was wrapped up a little too tightly with a bright red bow for my personal taste. Cloris Leachman was, as always, simply wonderful and very believable. But the music was the best. It was truly the creepiest thing about the film.
October 27, 2013
Cloris Leachman at her best. A good film for this reason alone.
July 29, 2013
it's potential well wasted. It's easy to zone out on this one because just when you feel like it's going somewhere, it just loops itself. If you had ADD, this movie could be your worst nightmare. Other than that, it's got some nice shots, and uses a no/low budget set very wisely.
July 23, 2013
It is a very good film, but it is NOT HORROR as it is promoted. It is a drama-suspense film. Cloris is magnificent in her role as a granny. It is a bit slow but worth to watch.
July 12, 2013
Well I can put this on the never watch again list LOL wasn't the worst movie I have ever seen but close to it!
John W.
June 21, 2013
slow, confused, and pretentious does not make a film "artistic" or "deep", it just makes it slow, confused, and pretentious.
June 6, 2013
Cinematically well made, but has a lackluster storyline (based on recollections of the writer's own childhood - which basically seems more fantasy than fact). There are moments of true creepiness - like the dirty bathtub filled with the "chewed out" faces of Washington from dollar bills, the possibly in-bred siblings living in the basement of the Grace's house (whose unintelligible gibberish only adds to the creep factor), and just about any scene with Eugene in it (when he reached from offscreen to touch Steven's curly locks, I almost crawled out of my skin.) The actors have an authenticity to them which is good, and the movie does pick up the pace in the last 15 minutes. However, it's not more than a two-star film for me. I feel as if this movie had great potential, with so many chill-inducing elements, but no ability to link them together into a cohesive whole, let alone use them to build up in a bone-chilling crescendo for the finale. The writer should have deleted the "based on true events" and instead used his childhood memories as elements to give viewers a real thrills and chills story.
March 25, 2013
Thought it was excellent. It was just the psychological movie I was looking for, it was artistic and used elements of real human emotion instead of just disgusting images to "shock" an audience. I wouldn't figure that many people appreciate this movie for what it is worth because it was slower and now a days it seems that movies rely so much on visual effect that it takes a special audience to like this movie. It was perfect to me except I think they would have done better if they would have picked a different actress to play Tara Reid's part. The acting, to me, was superb except for her role in the movie. I would recommend this movie to anyone who appreciates a film that takes some time to write and uses psychology to capture an audience rather than high priced effects. Am I going to watch it again? Oh yes.
February 8, 2013
Sooooooo boring. The story was lazy too. This could have been a really good movie, if they only would have tried.
January 31, 2013
Young Steven is sent to live on his grandparents' farm, where he finds a dead body hidden amongst the corn fields. Unsure of who to trust, Steven keeps the information to himself, but whatever is lurking in the corn now has his scent! There is a heartfelt story buried somewhere within THE FIELDS, but it has yet to be discovered. The film feels like a hazy memory, and one that is filled with irrelevant facts and details that in no way serve to better the plot. At best, it represents the underlying fear and paranoia that spread following the Manson Murders, however, the remote location and un-compelling characters do nothing to draw us in. The documentary-style filming does lend an air of authenticity to the events, along with the set and costume designs. Although we want to root for Joshua Ormond as Steven, he simply isn't prepared to carry the male lead in a feature film. Between this and the general inactivity on-screen, it becomes difficult to recommend THE FIELDS to anyone outside of the True Crime enthusiasts.
January 26, 2013
This low-budget thriller looks more expensive than it is with its imaginative use of set, like the spooky amusement park and, outstandingly, the titular cornfields. This film was great for what it was and it didn't need a huge budget to pull it off, I was impressed, I say SEE IT!!!
January 23, 2013
For how many film festival awards it won, it wasn't a good film at all.
January 7, 2013
Not worth your time. While it does have its suspenseful moments, and Cloris Leachman is, as always, superb, its trite, and predictable. See something else.
December 20, 2012
boring, no suspense...nothing scarey here...waste of time
November 10, 2012
Unbelievably horrible. I wish I could get the last couple hours of my life back. I saw this movie for free and I paid too much. Don't waste your time.
October 8, 2012
I have no idea when or what makes this a "thriller". My husband and I gave up after 30 minutes - although Cloris Leachman was a hoot-and-a-half!